Ritual for moms when child has weaned. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-31-2005, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What have you done to commemorate the ending of your nursing relationship? Nursing has been such a special and significant life experience for me. I feel that it deserves a special ritual.

:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2005, 08:31 PM

I have no idea what we will do when DS weans.

With DD we discussed having a party, but she decided she wanted just her and I to go to build a bear (we got pigs, I have to give their employees for simply saying "congrats" when DD revealed, at over 4, *why* we were there).

I like the idea of a party, the breast cakes are soooo cute but... DS is my last (biological) child so that will be the end of babyhood for me

Old 01-31-2005, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Not a ritual, but the summer after DS had weaned, we saw these sweet little clay statues at the Three Rivers Arts Festival. Some were of families of varying types, dads reading to children, a mom nursing baby, slightly older baby at that..... DH bought me one of a mom nursing older baby. That commemorated DS's time at breast.

Now that DD is approaching weaning, much more verbally than her brother did--in fact she announced last night that she is going to keep nursing until she's 10 --I have gotten myself the nursing mom pendant from over at attachmentscatalog.com. When my first one got broken, I bought 2 so I'll have spare in case of another accident. :

"What will you do once you know?"
Old 02-02-2005, 03:37 AM

We had a weaning party for my son when he weaned just before his 4th birthday. Boy, mama and daddy lit sparklers in the back yard, ate frosted cookies and took pictures. But I was nursing a new baby then, so I didn't do anything special for myself. I can imagine when my toddler eventually weans that I will feel the need to mark that for myself. I think that she might be my last baby.

Oh, now I'm getting sad! Gee, don't they grow up fast! I think a special piece of jewelry is nice. I also wrote up the story of my son's weaning and gave it to a bunch of my LLL friends.

Kathleen
Old 02-02-2005, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm already planning it, even though it's likely to be a couple years away yet.

DD will spend her first night away from me, either at home w/ Daddy while I go elsewhere (a spa?), or at a grandparent's house. She will be able to get her hair cut or dyed or a gift or some such to mark her new status as a child rather than a baby, and we'll have a party to celebrate, and probably also a religious ritual (likely separate as for religious reasons extended family won't come to party if it includes ritual).

I'm not doing anything overtly fancy or special (throw a big party, etc.) for most birthdays, so weaning will be a big milestone worthy of celebration that will really stand out, whether it happens when she's 3 or 6 or whatever.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Old 02-02-2005, 11:46 PM

I love the idea of doing something just for ourselves. I never really thought of it that way so we just celebrated together. The only thing I did entirely for "myself" was share my story here at MDC. But the responses I got were better than anything I could have bought. That was such a wonderful fulfilling feeling.
I have also kept a mother's journal since dd was a baby, so I wrote in that too.

We did set a day aside as a day of celebration together. We went out for lunch, had brownie cupcakes w/whipped cream, and looked at baby pictures together. I later read all the responses on MDC to her and that made her really happy and proud.
It was just a peaceful, happy time together in honor of the end of our breastfeeding relationship.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:57 AM

My oldest, a "planner" like his Mama, planned his weaning. He decided that he would wean on his fifth birthday. The night before his fifth birthday, the two of us lay in bed together and, as he requested, I told him our nursing story (from birth to that night, through the pregnancies and births of his two little siblings and over 18 months of triandem nursing) while he nursed for the last time. He had been nursing for a minute or less at a time, but the last time he nursed it was for 20 minutes while I told our story....it's a memory I'll cherish forever. I think that it was just as much for me as it was for him.

My younger ds says he'll wean when he's at least 10, maybe 16, and that we'll have a big party to celebrate.

My dd, who is 2.5, will get her ears pierced (she's been asking since she could speak!) when she weans .... or get second holes if she's "so old" that she's already gotten her ears pierced. I'll get mine done too!

Who knows what this new little one will want to do when he/she's ready to wean....but that's a looooooong way off!

I think I'll do something for me when I'm done nursing ALL of my children. I've been nursing continuously since Dec. 22, 1998 and still have many years ahead of me!

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

Old 02-03-2005, 10:59 PM

We had a weaning party. She choose Chucky E Cheese! We took a few of hers friends that knew she was still nursing. They had a great time playing there and we had pizza.

Her grandparents, a cousin and one of my good friends (who is like an aunt to her) all came and gave her small gifts. I took pictures.

I'm all into scrapbooking and I have 2 pages devoted to "CARISSA WEANS"

This was going on 3 years ago now. Wow, time sure flys! To this day, most nights she goes to bed with me (big brother too, sometimes) and she likes to cuddle with the "milkies" and then 15 min or so later dh comes in and the kids all go to bed.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:12 AM

we had a party with cake and baloons and all our friends and family plus I gave a little speech about weaning in the bible and read a psalm about weaning.

LOL firemom I scrapped it too

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

Old 02-04-2005, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flminivanmama
we had a party with cake and baloons and all our friends and family plus I gave a little speech about weaning in the bible and read a psalm about weaning.

LOL firemom I scrapped it too
Can you direct me to it?

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 02-04-2005, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
After the girls weaned, I went shopping to get some "regular" bras and some dresses that didnt' button in the front or have "peek a boob" openings.

Going shopping was enough of a ritual for me!!!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 02-04-2005, 06:29 PM

Cindy - I think it is great that Carissa's grandparents came to her weaning party! That is just wonderful.

Ruthla - shopping for non-nursing bras and dresses without a "peek-a-boob" - that is perfect! I will have to remember to do that when my youngest weans.

Kathleen
Old 02-04-2005, 06:42 PM

Kathleen:

And mom was totally not into breastfeeding. I'm glad she changed her mind because not only did I breastfeed but my sister did and my brothers wife did. It didn't hurt that my dad was on my side, he was nursed until he was close to 3 years.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:12 AM

My guy has decided to stop on his fifth birthday, which is next week. He's allergic to shellfish, so... assuming all goes to plan... For myself, I am going to go to the wharf and buy me the biggest, fattest Dungenness crab I can find. I am going to crack it and eat it standing up. Then I'm going to scarf down a huge shrimp cocktail. I can't wait! Actually, I've been waiting for five years, and while I've treasured the nursing, I've sure missed the crab.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I hope you get to enjoy your treat Kakuchan, but knowing how some kids hem&haw about this decision, you might consider holding off for a few days at least to be certain he is able to follow through with his decision.

"What will you do once you know?"
Old 02-14-2005, 01:59 PM

Like MotherSunshine said, sharing our story here has been special for me. Ds and I haven't discussed it since I brought it up the first time he skipped a week and he told me "he might never stop"! :LOL But it appears that he has. He's very verbal, so if he doesn't want to talk about it, we won't. I soooo appreciate the support I've found here! Here's to 5 years, 2 months, 1 week, and 1 day.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:58 PM

Oh, you bet I'll hold off until he's sure! He knows it's his choice.

User Tag List