Which came first- weaning or potty learning? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Did your child wean or learn to use the potty first?
Potty Learning First 69 70.41%
Weaning First 7 7.14%
They happened around the same time 1 1.02%
I'm still waiting for both!! 21 21.43%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-24-2005, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
So many people seem to think that only babies nurse and only babies wear diapers.

I'm curious to see how many kids graduated to "big kid underwear" before weaning. I'll set up the poll for "check as many as apply" for those of you with more than one child who may have had different experiences each time.

ETA: I MEANT to set up the poll for "check as many as apply" but I goofed.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2005, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nursing a 5yo - potty learning happened a pretty long time ago.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:18 PM

close to the same time. She originally was using the potty exclusively at 21 months (she started part time at 10 months) then we had some family issues come up and she was back in diapers until about the same time as she weaned at 32 months.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 02-24-2005, 02:24 PM

I voted for waiting for both. But I probably will be in the potty learned first camp as dd (2) is starting to potty learn now and showing no interest in weaning. Hey, it works for her, it works for me! (the potty is child-led as well)
Old 02-24-2005, 02:38 PM

DD learned to use the potty just before she turned 2. She's 2 1/2 now, and nowhere close to weaned.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:46 PM

Hi Ruth I'm pretty sure we have talked about this before elsewhere. Annette decided she was ready to use the potty somewhere between 18 months and 2 years. By 2.5 she was in panties all the time. We did have some regression when we moved and had a month or so with a couple accidents a day, but with the move and all the other stress going on it was very understandable. She still isn't dry all night so she wears a pullup at night. My understanding of night wetting is that it is genetic and both I and dh's brother had problems with being dry for nights longer then average so I am not expecting dry nights for a couple years yet.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
Old 02-24-2005, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Kristina!!!

Now you know why I haven't been around "that other place" so much anymore :

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 02-24-2005, 05:53 PM

my boys were still nursing during the night when they mastered toilet training. my dd still is in dipes, but she has a ways to go until she's even starts, and then many years after to nurse
Old 02-24-2005, 11:24 PM

DD potty trained the day she turned 29 months. Regressed when we moved and DS was born late that summer. She weaned at 50 months and only recently (6 years) has not worn a diaper at night.

DS also potty trained at 29 months. Went to no diaper at night at the same time as DD (so, 40-41 months). No where near weaning.

I get to laugh when people say "when they get teeth" "when they can walk" etc... because DD was an early reader so she could read chapter books (never mind walking, talking, going to school....) before she weaned.

Old 02-24-2005, 11:36 PM

Dd potty learned during the daytime at 24 months old, and was dry at night by 26 months. She was dry at night before she nightweaned, too. I have no idea how she could hold the floods back with all the nursing she was doing at night! She's still nursing with no signs of letting up at 31 months.

I think this is funny because while I had expected to nurse dd for at least a couple years when she was born, it never entered into my mind that she might be out of diapers before weaning. When she was first pled, it really tickled me to be nursing my big girl in her underwear.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:21 AM

Alex weaned on his fifth birthday and potty learned at age 3.

Zachary continues to nurse (at 4.5 yrs old) and potty learned at age 3.5-4.

Both boys insist on diapers during the night in case of accidents.

Haley, age 2.5, potty learned at age 2 and continues to nurse. She never wears diapers.

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

Old 02-25-2005, 12:26 AM

DD potty learned at about 18 months. Still nursing at 40 months.

What about family bed? What progression was made with that? We are still family bed at 40 months too, and loving it.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:27 AM

Quote:
She was dry at night before she nightweaned, too. I have no idea how she could hold the floods back with all the nursing she was doing at night! She's still nursing with no signs of letting up at 31 months.
I'm really confused by this too. DS still nurses ever 2-3 hours (though it seems to be slowly stretching) and can go all night. DD, meanwhile, we never did anything w/night training because I figured she *couldn't* until she was night weaned and then DS was having diapers, too, so I just let it go. If *I* drank that much I'd flood the bed!

Old 02-26-2005, 05:19 AM

BeanBean does not wear diapers during the day; a few weeks ago, he learned to wipe himself effectively (if not efficiently :LOL) and now he uses the potty by himself and empties it into the toilet.

He's nowhere near weaning. He's closer to learning to *read* than weaning. :LOL

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 02-26-2005, 03:20 PM

Dd had potty learned by age 3. She's still breastfeeding at age 4.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

Old 02-27-2005, 01:16 AM

Ds started wearing undies in November, and he hasn't asked to nurse for a few weeks now.

He still wears Fuzzi Bunz to bed, and wakes up poopy once or twice a week.

So I would say that he has just about potty learned, and just about weaned!
Old 02-27-2005, 01:44 AM

21 month old Dd has been potty learned, except for nights, for 5 weeks. She is still nursing strong
Old 02-27-2005, 01:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Potty-learned at 21 months, still nursing round the clock like a newborn at 23 months. Yipes, I hope she doesn't give up the potty now or I'll have to re-vote!
Old 02-27-2005, 04:58 AM

I do EC.... Natural Infant Hygiene. So my 14 mo old is totally in panties already. She nurses 5 min of every hour or maybe more! My 42 mo old has been in panties almost 2 years and he still nurses too!
Old 02-27-2005, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinahYeteirah
Dd potty learned during the daytime at 24 months old, and was dry at night by 26 months. She was dry at night before she nightweaned, too. I have no idea how she could hold the floods back with all the nursing she was doing at night! She's still nursing with no signs of letting up at 31 months.
My understanding is that there is a hormone that suppresses the urge to urinate while sleeping. My ds (3.5) is still a frequent night nurser but has been dry through the night since maybe 12-18 mos, unless he woke all the way up.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
Old 02-27-2005, 05:14 PM

ds is 4y1m old and has been out of diapers during the day time since June. He still has occasional night time accidents, but not often. he is still nursing periodically.

dd (20 mo) is still in diapers and nursing frequently
Old 02-27-2005, 05:22 PM

Hey Jerri

My girls are 4.4 and are just starting the potty adventure. They are only peeing on th epotty tho. They still poop in thier pull up. They are terrified of poop!
They are still nursing.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom
My understanding is that there is a hormone that suppresses the urge to urinate while sleeping. My ds (3.5) is still a frequent night nurser but has been dry through the night since maybe 12-18 mos, unless he woke all the way up.
I think *I* need some more of that hormone, lol. If I drink anything within a couple hours of going to bed, I always have to get up to pee in the middle of the night. I remember right after dd started staying dry at night, I used to get up to pee and ask her if she needed to go, too. I was afraid of an accident, but she was just annoyed, as if to say, "Can't you see I'm sleeping? I don't need to pee!" She was usually wet in the morning if I put a diaper on her, but once she potty learned, I started taking the diaper off at night. We eced during the day, but I never could get nighttime ecing to work for us. She seemed to have the message that if she was wearing a diaper, she should pee in it.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:24 PM

LOL I'm new here. This thread has me smiling. All of my bio children weaned 'late' and potty trained 'early'. My bio kids were all out of diapers years before they weaned. : One of my children is not weaned-- and she 's nursed longer than she was ever in diapers, that's for sure! :LOL
Old 03-01-2005, 12:41 AM

DD started the potty learning at about 28 months, and is in panties during the day now, and is nowhere near weaning.

Rachel, married to Andy, mama to Aubrey, Lauren, Sasha, and *surprise* Baby #4, due November, 2011
Old 03-03-2005, 01:42 PM

I voted for still waiting for both however I think we'll get to potty training first. My dd started using the potty a few months ago and now will wear underwear half of the time and diapers half of the time. It depends on her mood that day. We've decided to let her take the lead and haven't pushed her especially because of her recent adjustment to the new baby. She's no where close to weaning and she's closer and closer to being potty trained. In fact she will only poop in the potty and when her diaper is only a little wet she insists to be changed immediately.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:43 PM

Well I'll be the oddball. Ds really lost interest in nursing over the summer and weaned in Oct at about 33 months. He has just in the last couple of weeks has taking some interest in the potty and poops most of the time and pees part of the time in the potty. We haven't got it to generalize to any other environments than home. However, whatever this hormone to keep you from peeing at night is he has in spades and has been dry at night since about 8 months (initally while nightnursing constantly).
Old 03-03-2005, 06:07 PM

My dd potty trained around the 2 year mark, however she weaned a few months under 6 years, she is still in a pullup at night at the age of 8 1/2 years.

She has a small bladder and always had a hard time holding it, so there were accidents until she was about 5.

My dh used to say that she would stop needing the pullup at night when she weaned. She was only nursing once a week or once every other week for quite a few months, I really don't see what that had to do with it
Old 03-04-2005, 01:27 PM

We do EC so the potty definitely has been started. (Every nursling should know what a potty is for in my opinion.) My 2 year old is close to graduation with the potty and nowhere near weaning. She also has long been dry at night despite the night nursings. Sometimes that is aided by a nighttime potty trip. (If she asks or is VERY restless in the bed).
Old 03-11-2005, 04:06 AM

Aurora learned to use the potty at 2 and she is 2 1/2 and still nursing

User Tag List