Frequent Night Nursers OLDER than 3 Years - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 71 Old 04-08-2005, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know there is another thread on this (started yesterday) - but it is for 2-3 year olds. And I started a thread on this a little while ago about nightwaking nursers older than 2 here.

BUT - Now ds is older than 3, and I think there aren't that many mamas out there suffering through night after night of nursing again and again, or marathon nursing for hours, with children who are older than three years old!!!

I sleep through a lot of it, but it is still disturbing to my total rest.
When will I be able to go to sleep and hug my pillow all night long, totally undisturbed until day breaks???

Last night:
nursed ds to sleep.
ds woke 2 1/2 hours later to nurse at 1am.
ds woke at 3am to nurse.
ds woke sometime after 4 am and nursed until he got out of bed at 7:45 am.

I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooo tired of this!

I think I'm the only one.
Well, maybe TiredX2 is here with me.

P.S. Nightweaning is not an option for me - please let's not discuss it on this thread
#2 of 71 Old 04-08-2005, 12:13 PM

Naww.... my 3.5 year old still nurses at night... he's not much of a marathon nurser tho... figured I'd give you some company, tho....
#3 of 71 Old 04-08-2005, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

thanks GWH!
#4 of 71 Old 04-08-2005, 03:28 PM

how do you feel about night weaning? i night weaned my son when he was about 18m old. i just slept on the couch for a couple of nights and DH cuddled him back to sleep. he was ready. it was easy. i didn't even really need to sleep on the couch that second night, as i recall. he didn't wean completely till he was 22m old.

my older daughter night weaned herself by needing the tv and her father to sleep w/her downstairs. i slept upstairs, and before we knew it, she wasn't nursing at night anymore. she didn't wean completely till she was 27m old, and that bc my milk dried up due to pregnancy.

my baby stll nurses a lot at night, but she's only 7m old.

does your ds have some sort of physical need to eat at night, or could you night wean him?
#5 of 71 Old 04-08-2005, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

1) we are TV-Free
2) DS will not have anything to do with DH at night
#6 of 71 Old 04-08-2005, 04:40 PM

well, you certainly don't need a TV - that was sort of a fluke. but you do need a partner who can help out. that's a toughie . . .
#7 of 71 Old 04-08-2005, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

it's not about the partner

nightweaning is not an option.
I explained it in another thread a while back.

I'll see if I can dig it up...
#8 of 71 Old 04-08-2005, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

#9 of 71 Old 04-08-2005, 04:53 PM

Hi UrbanPlanter, mine is three (a few months over) and still a marathon night nurser- has been since birth, no slowing down, no dropping any nursings.

He has asthma and allergies, which we are constantly working on. He has never had a drop of formula. I let him nurse because he needs it although it has been hard.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#10 of 71 Old 04-08-2005, 08:29 PM

ok, gotcha. nightweaning is out. so were you wanting support only? or something else ...?
whatever you were hoping for, you certainly have my sympathy!
were i in your boat, i'd be a wreck!
#11 of 71 Old 04-08-2005, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

I want to know that I'm not the only one suffering with this!
And I want support!
And insight! (I suspect allergies as well, but they are elusive to tests)...
And sympathy! Thanks!
#12 of 71 Old 04-08-2005, 11:02 PM

It literally has been years, but I didn't think the marathons were ever going to stop. I took SOME steps...if she didn't wake for the last (early morning) nursing by 6, I got out of bed, made myself a cup of tea, read the paper, whatever, just so I owned my own self for a few minutes before that interminable wakeup nursing began. Somehow I could handle it better sitting up on the couch in the living room than trapped in bed. But I hear you about the 4 am to 7:45...I just absolutely COULD NOT BELIEVE she'd still be nursing that much later!! OTOH, trying to wean her from that particular nursing before she outgrew it (which I tried some days) resulted in a very clingy unhappy child. Somehow that major reconnection at sunup gave her the confidence to face the day...
I also did this thing I called "being roomies"; it was as simple as rolling over and turning my back on her. I needed to do that to ease my lower back pain, and I also found that sometimes she'd wake up, snuggle against my back and go back to sleep without nursing. Many nights now (she's 8) I fall asleep in her bed and I'll find at some point that this has happened; she'll have arms and legs thrown over me--just checking to see i'm there in her sleep.

Nightweaning wasn't an option for us either; when she was younger, she WOULD let dh sing to her/walk her around the house, but by 3, that would never have worked. So I can relate to that too.

Can you try some silly creative idea that works to keep you sane the way my little moves did for me? Honestly, some nights just knowinf that I got 3 hours uninterrupted sleep with my knees drawn up to ease my back felt like a victory...

Oh, and one night, when she was about 4.5, she rolled over while I read a story, said, "tell me if there's any pictures," and fell asleep without nursing--and slept all night. It does happen!! (still didn't wean for years tho'!)

Good luck and hope you get some sleep.
#13 of 71 Old 04-09-2005, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

thanks darlindeliasmom!!!

(but... ugh! another 18 months! I know that's what I'm in for...)
Well, little sanity tricks are a good idea... right now the only one I've got is MDC at midnight, so I'm not trapped in bed...
#14 of 71 Old 04-09-2005, 07:10 PM

Well my ds is 4.5 years old and we sleep together while dh sleeps in the other bed. He nurses in the early mornings and gropes for me during the night.

I work 2 nights a week and get off at 11 pm so usually when I come home he is asleep. WHen i am home, dh will still put him to bed with much fussing. But its for my sanity! SO i don't care if he gets upset sometimes, YK? SO the nights I do put him down he'll nurse, while we read stories and sometimes while sleeping he'll get fussy so if he just has a hand on the boob he is ok.

I do the same thing as the previous poster, I turn my back and feign sleep. And he'll just snuggle do a few grunts of complaint but thats it.

I understand that you feel frustrated and tired, so do I still sometimes. But it does get better. I too remember the first few times he went to sleep with out the boob while I was there with him in the bed!

What is happening during the day? Is he making up for something during the night, like closeness or time?

I know I'm not much help, but you are not alone!
#15 of 71 Old 04-09-2005, 07:14 PM

May I ask why ds wont have anything to do with dh like you posted?

Can this be resolved in anyway? For your own sanity?
#16 of 71 Old 04-10-2005, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanPlanter
I think I'm the only one.
Well, maybe TiredX2 is here with me.
:LOL You *know* I'm here.

DS is still nursing through the night.

I've really been mulling over a night-weaning when he turns four for 4-5 hours nightly. IF he isn't going that long by then. (But we are starting preschool in the fall after he turns 4 and I don't want too much on his plate at once. And I also *do not* want to nurse him at preschool). He is still doing the 2-3 hour thing plus the morning marathon. I wonder how different of a person I will be when DS finally nighweans? I got pg w/DD when I was 21, she night nursed until DS was born--- so including pg I have not been sleeping "normally" for almost seven years. Well, I guess I get to define my new normal

Anyway I'm sorry it is still such hard going for you. I do notice small, tiny changes and looking back a year it is SOOOOO different (a year ago it was still 1-2 hours, but a year ago I also partially night-weaned him (4-5 hours) for a week to ten days. I would *really* *really* *really* like him to night wean himself all the way (by that I mean, me not instigate that first 4-5 hours and him do the rest, rather him do it *all*) but I also don't know if I can make it too many more years. But then I think... well, I've made it 6.5 years w/out good sleep... what's another 1.5 years?

#17 of 71 Old 04-10-2005, 02:31 PM

Urban Planter---

Is your DS still napping? Or is 10:30-7:45 all the sleep he gets in a day? Cause then I would be seriously dead, lol. (DS goes 8:30-7 most days)

#18 of 71 Old 04-10-2005, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guava~Lush
May I ask why ds wont have anything to do with dh like you posted?

Can this be resolved in anyway? For your own sanity?
I dunno - ds won't tell me! :LOL (although, he is quite verbal right now...)

He's just always wanted me-and-only-me when it comes to sleep - both nap and bedtime.

Daddy is not lactating.

In fact, last night, when it came down to walking the : and getting ds to sleep, and dh was grumbling about it, I said "when you start lactating then we can switch responsibilities; until then, please don't complain to me" :LOL

was that too bitchy? :
#19 of 71 Old 04-10-2005, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2
Urban Planter---

Is your DS still napping? Or is 10:30-7:45 all the sleep he gets in a day? Cause then I would be seriously dead, lol. (DS goes 8:30-7 most days)
yeah he naps - he can nap 2-3 hours!

The GOOD news is that I can nurse him down for a nap and not hear from him until he's starting to wake up from the nap. Used to be - until a few months ago - that I would nurse him down, and then nurse him once or twice during - and then nurse him upon waking. Now I just nurse him down and then a really long session when he is waking up.

Yeah, the nights are better now than from a year ago.
Last night was AWFUL. Some nights are better than others, but generally he never sleeps more than 2-3 hour stretches MAX.

I'm so afraid that I won't survive another pregnancy, and I just can't imagine doing this all over again with another dc - I still am nowhere near out of the woods with my ds!
#20 of 71 Old 04-10-2005, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, so, about the naps - it does give me some sanity during the day, esp. the days I am REALLY tired. But the down side now is that he is napping later and staying up much later, like 10:30-11pm!!! That makes it hard on DH and me, too. We're often ready to go to sleep before he is!

But if I try to cut out the nap, he still crashes late in the day and wakes up for the evening. Or, if he does manage to go until 6 or 7pm, then DH won't ever get to see him during the week...
#21 of 71 Old 04-11-2005, 12:58 PM

Hi,
Im with you guys all the way. My 3.10 dd is a champion night nurser. It didnt bother me before. We both slept on... till i was pregnant with our second dd and thats when the pain and sleepless nights began. She would nurse all night if I let her. Turning my back doesnt help. She will just climb over me to get to the other side. But even if she didnt do that, I would still have my 1.10 nursing on the other side. At least the younger one seems to stop when she is full.

Many frustrating, sleepless, back aching nights. Weve tried having her nurse to sleep then putting her on a mattress on the floor next to our bed. That was okay for about a week. She wouldnt come up to our bed till sleeping for about 6 hours. Then she would be in for more nursing. After a while tho she started coming in sooner.

Now that Im in a different room, because I need a different bed for doing traction (slipped disk therapy) she will come in early morning.

She wants to nurse all day and whines and whines to get it. I ask her to ask nicely because whineing will only get her in time out. I have to remind her this over and over.

But something just happened that has given me a bit of a different perspective.

Tonight she had an accident while running and put a major hole in her bottom lip and shoved one of her front teeth all the way up in the gum to her nose. She will have to have it removed tomorow. She is in serious pain. Shortly after it happened it dawned on her that she wouldnt be able to nurse. It was a terrible for both of us. To think that this was the way our nursing relationship would have to end! Who can nurse with a tooth shoved up their nose and a hole in their lip!!!

i had several hours to feel depressed about it. Then as she got sleepy she came over and started nursing!!!I couldnt believe it. Granted it was a bit gentler than usual. I have never been so happy to have her nurse.

Im going to try to remember this situation every time I feel irritated about her nursing at night. I really just want her to be able to nurse as long as she still needs it.

The night nursing thing is hard. But all I can say is that one day it will all be a memory and we will hardly remember what we suffered for it. Hopefully.
#22 of 71 Old 04-12-2005, 11:39 AM

Mine both nursed at night until after three, the oldest probably nursed that much at 3, and I had a 1 1/2 year old nursing too. But now at almost 4 and 5 1/2 they almost always sleep all night. The oldest doesn't nurse any more (well maybe 6 times in the last 6 months) and if he wakes up then he just snuggles next to me and goes back to sleep. The almost 4 year old very rarely asks to nurse in the middle of the night (maybe once every few weeks).
So it will end!

I do think that a 3 year old can start to understand that you are tired and work out some way to let you get some more sleep. I would sit him down and talk to him about it. Child led weaning is great, but it still can be something you work on together, there sometimes come a point when the emotional advantages of nursing are less then the emotional disadvantages of a tired, angry mother.

Is the marathon in the morning worse or the couple times in the middle of the night? Maybe he could just get up at 5 am, before you go to bed you could talk about what he is going to play in the morning, and have a snack that he could easily get himself (one of mine woke me up for months saying "ban", he wanted a banana). I realize the first few days this may only be about 10 minutes but I think it may stretch to more like an hour. Or if you talked a few days about only nursing for a little while and then letting go, and when the sun is up you can nurse one long time, but short times at night. Or talk about waking up and checking to see if mom is there and then rolling over and going back to sleep by himself. Maybe covering up all but the first number on an alarm clock and telling him he can nurse after the number is 2 or 3.

As long as you are really paying attention to his attitude, you can tell if any of these changes are too stressful for him. Somtimes a little nudge from mom makes all the difference, and it is so easy to make things better. And if it doesn't work now try again in 4 or 6 months.

Have you tried sleeping away from him? Does it make any difference? Maybe a bed on the floor? I would also reccomend that you try to get rid of any irritations with sleepware, sheets, ect. I always thought my youngest (who always kicks off his covers) would be cold at night, but it turns out he has always slept best with just a diaper, it seems that the irritation of being cool is worse then the irritation of clothing. Maybe making the nap shorter might help?

Good luck, it will get better!
#23 of 71 Old 04-12-2005, 04:25 PM

UrbanPlanter I am right there with you with still napping but later in the day and then going to bed later. My ds sleeps about the same hours as yours does. If he doesn't nap he will crash at 5pm when I get home from work and we nurse. I hate that!!!

Anyway, ds still nurses at night and will be 3 on May 8th. He is starting to slow down, some nights not waking til 5am to nurse and then up for the day 1-2 hours later. He's never done the marathon thing, though. We still have nights where he wakes about every 2 hours. It doesn't bother me anymore...I gave up on sleep a looooong time ago! LOL But I am there with you!

Allison
ds 5/8/02

Allison, mom to ds born May 2002
#24 of 71 Old 04-12-2005, 09:20 PM

I don't post often around these parts but am stopping in for the evening, dh is out of town :-( I think you should consider an earlier bedtime! When children are overtired it is very hard for them to get settled and into a deep sleep. I noticed you said your ds still naps, but if it's early in the day, maybe he just can't make it to 9P? If it's doable, try a 730 bedtime, most kids will sleep about 12 hours, and if he's waking at 730A I bet he could do a 730 bedtime. Check this out:

3 years to 4 years:

If your child begins to regularly play during nap time and not sleep. Your child's one nap might be on it's way out. It's important to see a pattern with this when you finally decide to end napping on a regular basis. If one day your child doesn't nap but does the next day, you might consider still giving her the opportunity to nap until she regularly doesn't take the nap. At this point, keep the nap in your back pocket so to speak, she might need one occasionally.

Night Sleep:

For the children who's naps during the transition to one nap occur earlier in the day it is still important to implement the earlier bedtime until that nap occurs closer to midday (6-6:30 or earlier if needed). Once that nap starts in the midday (12:30-1pm) and the nap is longer in duration then you can be more flexible with the bedtime 7pm+/-. As your child approaches the no nap transition, again, you might have to implement the earlier bedtime. Especially when your child first drops that nap, the duration of wakefulness is so long that it is impossible to keep your child from becoming overtired. It's just a long day. At the beginning of this new stage a 6pm bedtime isn't unreasonable because your child will be tired at that time and even more tired if it's later. The earlier we have the bedtime, the better your child will be able to tolerate this long wakeful period. At this stage it is common for children to start waking up in the middle of the night. This is normal. Even with the earlier bedtime, at the beginning, your child is still a little bit overtired from this new "no napping" lifestyle. Be persistent with the early bedtime and this should cure the nightwakings because it will help your child stay rested through these long days. As your child gets older you can start adjusting the bedtime, maybe 1/2 hour later. I have observed that children who go to bed before 8pm have very little sleep problems; you be the judge (just a note).

This info is from http://www.familysleep.com which is not an ap/np oriented site but the info regarding sleep habits still stands true. Maybe you could browse there and pick up some good tips, just ignore the cio bs.

((hugs)) and good luck. I cannot imagine the amount of tired you are... mine is only 9months and I'm exhausted.
#25 of 71 Old 04-13-2005, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

thanks, but this has nothing to do with when he naps, how long he naps, or if he naps; or even when he goes to bed at night, how long he sleeps...

Since birth the issue (and I shouldn't call it an issue - really, it is a need) has been that ds needs to nurse frequently while sleeping for comfort, nutrition, security, whatever. It just is what it is.

I love the posts here from people who have similar situations with similarly aged kids. I don't feel so alone now!
#26 of 71 Old 04-13-2005, 07:44 AM

Urban Planter
Your situation completely mirrors ours at the moment. In fact I just logged on trying to find solution when I saw your posting. I really feel for you as am extremely tired and exhausted most days. Our ds is 2.5 years old and can nurse all night. The longest stretch of sleep he has is four hours and once he wakes and nurses back to sleep, he can wake within an hour to nurse more. He has been suffering with bad eczema for the last year and he wakes to scratch quite a bit at night and so knowing its his only comfort, I have obliged. But now am considering night weaning but am unsure abou it. I keep talking to him about not having 'gigi' at night and he says it sometimes during the day but stilll he loves for me to sit with him every chance he gets so get can cuddle and nurse. He doesn't want my husband unless he is willing to get up with him and walk him. Having said that a few mornings when he did nurse from 4-7, dh has taken him upstairs in another bed and he did fall a sleep without nursing. But at night time if I leave the room for him to be wih his dad , he just cries. I don't want him to cry either.
So, hang in there it will get better...we have to believe that to continue. Reading your email has made up my mind to stick it out...knowing someone else is out there! Thanks! I knwo everything will work itself out...good luck and jobwell done to sticking to nursing him this long.
#27 of 71 Old 04-13-2005, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm still nursing ds at night, but I don't see myself as "suffering through it." Most of the time I enjoy the closeness (but sometimes I just resent having anybody in my personal space, mostly if he wakes up crying before I've gone to bed for the night.)

Keep in mind that it IS possible to set some limits without weaning. I have no problem telling ds to stop nursing if he's too rough with his mouth or his pointy little claws (I mean fingers.) Sometimes I offer to snuggle or a cup of water- he's often satisfied with one or both of them, and other times he REALLY wants to nurse.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#28 of 71 Old 04-13-2005, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla
Sometimes I offer to snuggle or a cup of water- he's often satisfied with one or both of them
these ideas have never been an option for us, but thanks!
#29 of 71 Old 04-13-2005, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

actually it just occurred to me as I was nursing ds to sleep just now - that the nursing is not the issue, it's the waking - he wakes up so often it really disturbs my sleep!

the nursing actually helps me fall back to sleep :LOL
#30 of 71 Old 04-13-2005, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanPlanter
actually it just occurred to me as I was nursing ds to sleep just now - that the nursing is not the issue, it's the waking - he wakes up so often it really disturbs my sleep!

the nursing actually helps me fall back to sleep :LOL
I never knew how to explain that before, Adrienne, and so agree on that. It is hard to explain. It's the waking, fussing constantly not the actual nursing. It isn't like just waking, latching on and nursing to sleep for us.

We re-homed our cat a few weeks ao and its helping. Ds woke only to nurse quietly in the night (none of the accompanied other stuff) and it was so easy. I have had two nights of somewhat sleep broken only by nursing quietly every two or three hours.

Then he got a cold and and the old pattern started...

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page