do you post in breastfeeding beyond infancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-16-2005, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First let me say I'm soooo grateful to have a place where I can share with other like-minded mamas without someone else telling me "its wrong" or "just wean", etc. But it occurred to me that I never <rarely> post in the breastfeeding beyond infancy forum and was wondering if anyone else does. There's no sticky saying we shouldn't express CLW views there, but I don't know if its appropriate since we have our "own" forum. I noticed there are over 4000 views on the mother-led weaning thread here at MDC. It amazes me that we are in such a minority, even here! I'm not sure where I'm going with this - maybe wondering if our hard-fought effort to have a safe place may exclude other mamas from hearing about CLW in a positive light? Or do you think undecided mamas come over here to lurk and learn? I guess I'm just feeling very philosophical today. :LOL And maybe a little sad as our bf days are winding down. :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2005, 02:48 PM

I post in both forums if there is a thread that I can relate to, but I don’t think I ever have (or ever would) suggest child led weaning in BBI. I would assume that if the mom wanted a CLW POV she’d just post here.

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

Old 05-16-2005, 05:49 PM

It never occured to me to *not* post in Bfeeding Beyond Infancy.

Just like it never occured to me to not post in Breastfeeding Support & Advocacy or Problems.

This forum (child-led weaning) is ONLY for issues that are specific to CLW. There are a number of other things in "Beyond Infancy" that are relavent to my nursling & I.

Right now, for example:
When AF Returned
Increasing Milk Supply While PG
Tandem Night Nursing
Nursing 21 month old won't eat

And so on and so on.

Realistically, MDC support CLW. This forum is for CLW who do not want to have to "hear" talk of weaning, etc... But I think it is IMPORTANT that CLW are also represented on teh other boards or there is a very skewed perspective of what is "normal" (within AP). I mean, it would probably drastically lower the average age of weaning that people are exposed to if all the CLW mother's never went over "there."

Old 05-16-2005, 05:52 PM

I usually like CLW weaning better because I don't like to hear weaning advice when I encounter a problem. I know I won't be told silly things like "If you're uncomfortable nursing, you should wean because your nursling will sense your negativity and that could be detrimental."
A fellow CLWer posted that she was really starting to hate nursing and quite a few people piped up that she should wean. I don't get that at all.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:53 PM

I almost never post in the bfing forums. :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 05-16-2005, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermillion
I post in both forums if there is a thread that I can relate to, but I don’t think I ever have (or ever would) suggest child led weaning in BBI. I would assume that if the mom wanted a CLW POV she’d just post here.
Really? I offer my CLW experience all the time (and all over the place - even on mainstream boards) to let people know that CLW isn't so weird and can be a valid choice that can be beneficial for all.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavamamakava
Really? I offer my CLW experience all the time (and all over the place - even on mainstream boards) to let people know that CLW isn't so weird and can be a valid choice that can be beneficial for all.

I'm really upset to hear people are NOT giving CLW advice because they feel this is the only place. IMO, CLW advice belongs *everywhere*, it is the mother-led weaning that is supposed to stay "where they belong." (said jokingly, but truthfully)

Old 05-16-2005, 06:46 PM

The CLW forum is relatively new here, so it is something I have to keep reminding myself to visit.

Agreeing with the PPs that it's important for CLW to have its advocates in the BBI forum. If people are looking to be advised to wean, well, they'll get that. But if they are just looking for advice and they get proactive-keep-on-keepin'-on advice, then they just might.

Old 05-16-2005, 07:10 PM

I post/read in both, but then dd is only 15 months so while I think I would like to do CLW, I am not certain yet what might happen further along. If I am looking for general advice I post in beyond infancy, if I want to hear from the real experts I post here I actually don't expect to get weaning suggestions (unless I specifically asked) in either forum.

nothing more to say I guess :
Old 05-16-2005, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone - you've all made good points. When this forum arrived, I was sooooo ready to have a safe haven, I pretty much abandoned all but CLW and Support and Advocacy. But then my nursling really is slowing down (at 5.5), and I don't remember much about the early years! :LOL
Old 05-22-2005, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
One thing to keep in mind about all the views of the MLW thread: there are a lot of us who are nursing toddlers who haven't decided who is going to wean whom when. So we are really interested in reading about CLW, MLW, and other people's experiences with nursing older babies/children.

I still don't have any idea. I think either would be okay for me, probably.

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:56 PM

Honestly, I don't visit BBI very much mainly because my time here on MDC is limited and there are other forums that I like to visit. I do occasionally drop in at BBI and the Support forum, but I usually don't find something that I can relate to or give my support/insight. When I do though, I post. There is a LOT of talk about weaning in BBI, which is disheartening, and I know my input could be influencial but I choose (usually) to evade the negative feelings and confrontation that often follows. In CLW at least I know my advice/insight/support is wanted.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:19 PM

Quote:
and I know my input could be influencial but I choose (usually) to evade the negative feelings and confrontation that often follows. In CLW at least I know my advice/insight/support is wanted.
That is pretty much how I feel.

It isn’t that I don’t want to suggest CLW, but like I said before, I figure if that’s what someone is looking for they’d just come here. I could be wrong though, I'll have to pay more attention to both forums from now on I just don’t want to come off as judgmental or confrontational and that is often what happens when I am talking about things I am passionate about.

If someone asks about CLW in BBI I’ll offer up my thoughts of course... but other than that I feel it is best to keep my mouth shut because I can at times be a *bit* abrasive. :

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

Old 05-24-2005, 09:34 PM

I really don't actually. A lot of the posts over there have just infuriated me as fas as the attitude towards extended bfing. I just really stay in this forum for breastfeeding talk.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
Old 05-24-2005, 09:42 PM

I didn't know that BBI was for mother led weaning...I thought it was for anyone who is breastfeeding beyond infancy, no matter what weaning method was chosen... Have I been posting in the wrong forum, since we are doing CLW, but he's only 18 months (so we're not in the process of weaning)...

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
Old 05-24-2005, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyRae
I didn't know that BBI was for mother led weaning...I thought it was for anyone who is breastfeeding beyond infancy, no matter what weaning method was chosen... Have I been posting in the wrong forum, since we are doing CLW, but he's only 18 months (so we're not in the process of weaning)...
I really do think it is that CLWers are welcome in both forums but MLWs CANNOT disrupt the CLW forum. MDC specifically did not want a forum devoted to weaning (since it is not a NFL/AP ideal) and many people wanted a safe place where MLW could *not* be mentioned but that, IMO, in no way closed off the rest of MDC.

Old 05-24-2005, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2
I really do think it is that CLWers are welcome in both forums but MLWs CANNOT disrupt the CLW forum. MDC specifically did not want a forum devoted to weaning (since it is not a NFL/AP ideal) and many people wanted a safe place where MLW could *not* be mentioned but that, IMO, in no way closed off the rest of MDC.

Oh, ok...cool! I posted my babe's 18 months of nursing announcement in BBI so I didn't know if I was supposed to do it here instead. If I'm still nursing at 18 months with a lactaid (which we've used since almost the beginning) through pregnancy it's not me doing the weaning...this kid's not stopping! LOL!

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
Old 05-26-2005, 08:37 AM

I don't post much in either forum. I feel like if I post in the CLW forum, it's like saying I'm doing CLW or that it's my goal. On the other hand, I don't identify with many of the MLW things that come up in the BBI forum. I don't want to categorize myself or label my nursing relationship. I read both forums, however, and find interesting things in both. I am taking it as it comes; my nearly 3 year-old is still going strong... I'm lucky I don't have any questions. Maybe I will have to make a decision where to post if anything comes up when I find myself a new tandem nurser (G-d willing, in 2 months).
Old 05-26-2005, 09:16 AM

I have such an 'old' nursling that I feel strange posting in the BBI forum. Well, and then my other nursling is too little to post about there. :LOL I find that my 'comfort level' in talking about dd's nursing - online or IRL - keeps shrinking, because very few people understand why I haven't just 'weaned her already!' So I'm v. glad this forum is here - otherwise I'd need 'Breastfeeding Beyond Toddlerhood' or something.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)

User Tag List