Low Milk Supply While Nursing Toddler - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-25-2005, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let me just say first that our nursing relationship has been really great. My daughter is now 2 years and 7 months old and has nursed this whole time. She co-sleeps with us so she has night nursed throughout this whole time as well. She is currently nursing about 3-4 times a day and a couple of times during the night. I always had plans of child-led weaning. I always wanted it to be her decision.

Now, all of a sudden this week she is telling me that my breasts are "not working." Usually she will empty each breast when nursing and then go back a couple of times on each one and get "something" out. This week, when she went to go back on the breasts a second time she is telling me that they "don't work." I am so incredibly sad. Is this normal... for your breasts to start diminishing their supply when they gradually decrease their amount of nursing times? But then how do people continue to nurse into the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th year? I'm so confused. I don't remember reading anything on if it is normal or not to automatically have your supply decrease when they gradually stop nursing sessions. I always wanted this to be her decision... I will be incredibly sad if my diminishing supply is the reason for her weaning.

Please help. I can't seem to find anything on the subject of whether or not it is normal for your supply to decrease as they get older. That just doesn't make sense to me though because like I said... how do other women nurse into the toddler's older years?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2005, 11:50 PM

My son will be two this Friday and he often pops off the breast and shouts "more". Sometimes he even gives them a squeeze. I really feel that even thou he nurses often (10 times a day) and all night my supply isn't what it was when he was a baby. Maybe it's becase when he was born he was taking more milk more often at each nursing session... I just don't know.

I take Fenugreek daily. Two in the AM and two in the evening to help when my supply seems really low.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:47 PM

Is it that time of the month? My supply always dropped significantly when my period started. It pcked back up again after a few days. Nursing mom tea also works really well and tastes really good!
Old 07-01-2005, 03:39 PM

Have your breasts "flopped"? After age 2, when supply dwindled, boobs did too. :sad:

Does fengugreek help with perking you up at all (then I'd definately take it!!)?

User Tag List