so, nonbreastfed kid says to breastfed kid... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 10-10-2005, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yesterday, at my MIL's i was nursing my 4yo. My oldest, Adam (5 1/2) asks for "ninnies" (our word for nursing). Adam is giving me the power ranger stance, i reached out to tickle/attack him and before i could tell him that i'd move to the coach, his 5 yo cousin says to him, "those are for Daddy's only". Adam didn't respond, he might have been a little confused. I wasn't sure if his cousin was talking about "ninnies" or the play fighting so i kept quiet.
Now, when i was nursing both my boys on the sofa, the cousin asked me why the boys weren't drinking big boy milk. i replied that they were drinking big boy milk. so then he asks me why they do that, and i told him he needed to ask the boys. Adam finally says "to make me grow big and strong". Both my boys are grinning the entire time their cousin is asking these questions. They know what they share is something many kids don't get to have at all.

The cousin has 2 little brothers. One is currently breastfeeding as he is just a few months old. The other was weaned like him at 5 mos. So, he's watched his little brothers nurse. I wonder what he saw that made him think Daddy's only
#2 of 18 Old 10-10-2005, 12:37 PM

The creepiest thing about that story IMO is that someone must have told that little boy that a woman's breasts belong to someone else...a man. Yikes.
#3 of 18 Old 10-10-2005, 12:38 PM

It really makes me sad and pissed as well that a child has already been taught that crap. :
But YAY for your little guys!!!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#4 of 18 Old 10-10-2005, 02:47 PM

It's a funny story. :LOL But yeah, I feel sad for the little cousin. Not only will he grow up thinking breasts belong to men, but watching your boys enjoy the ninnies and cuddles probably makes him feel like he's missing out on something (which he is). Poor little guy.
#5 of 18 Old 10-10-2005, 03:11 PM

yikes!

UCing loud mouth, Fierce Protector of King Aiden, King Isaiah and Empress Estella
#6 of 18 Old 10-10-2005, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

well i'm hoping that he's realizing that nursing isn't just for babies (or daddy's.. and i agree, it might have been intended as cute, but it is a derogatory comment probably doing more harm then good).
this is not the first time he's seen us nurse.
Quote:
but watching your boys enjoy the ninnies and cuddles probably makes him feel like he's missing out on something (which he is). Poor little guy.
i didn't think about him being lonely. in hind sight i should have offered that he sit next to us on the sofa. thanks for shedding somel light.
#7 of 18 Old 10-10-2005, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
He probably overheard his Daddy saying something along those lines.

At least he's learning that boobies can be for big kids too.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#8 of 18 Old 10-10-2005, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston
The creepiest thing about that story IMO is that someone must have told that little boy that a woman's breasts belong to someone else...a man. Yikes.
: My thoughts exactly. Ick.
#9 of 18 Old 10-11-2005, 01:36 AM

That's so inspiring that your boys seem so proud to nurse. I'd like to cultivate that with my nurslings...
#10 of 18 Old 10-11-2005, 10:28 AM

Quote:
:

My BIL likes to say crap like that.....I hope my DD doesn't pick up on that, I'll have to be more aware. I don't want her to think that a part of her anatomy "belongs" to someone else.....

Michelle, vegan mama to my two sweeties, L, 4/21/04 and C, 10/29/06 married to my Bryce for 20 years.

#11 of 18 Old 10-11-2005, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstie
i didn't think about him being lonely. in hind sight i should have offered that he sit next to us on the sofa. thanks for shedding somel light.
I offered to let my sister's 1 year old snuggle with us while we nursed and my sister acted offended and like I was trying to breastfeed her kid or something.

homebirthing organic mama to three crazy boys very blessed!!
#12 of 18 Old 10-11-2005, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Yeah. It sounds like Dr. Phil advice. I just love that a woman's breasts briefly belong to her children and then pass on back to her husband. Of they aren't hers, the woman whose chest they sit upon!!
#13 of 18 Old 10-12-2005, 11:34 AM

I read this yesterday & didn't reply.... But, I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. I feel so bad for that little boy.

I'm glad he has cousins like your sons. Maybe they will be a positive influence?
#14 of 18 Old 10-13-2005, 04:26 PM

good for you and your boys! i am sorry for their cousin, hopefully seeing his cousins nurse will counter the image of breasts "for men only"
#15 of 18 Old 10-17-2005, 07:54 PM

Oh gosh, u know what struck me about your post? It was that your boys were grinning thru the questions, because my 2.5yo does that already when my 3yo niece asks about it ... grinning like the cat who got the cream LOL My niece says "my mummy's boobies don't have milk in them", poor little duck.
#16 of 18 Old 10-18-2005, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

i finally had a chance to mention this to my MIL. she told me he is exceptionally precocious. well, as long as he goes to mamaw's house and i'm also there with my kids...(that's a good place for us to stop while we're in town).

I'm hoping to bring this up to my SIL at some big family holiday dinner with a table full of people. My goal would be to remind her that her ds is a tad misguided, but i fear that everyone would just think it was hilarious and miss the point entirely. I am going to talk to her about it the next time i get to talk to her.

thanks Mama's for all the responses. Only a community like this (besides my own home) would this story be fully understood.

Happy Nursing!
#17 of 18 Old 10-20-2005, 07:47 PM

Quote:
yesterday, at my MIL's i was nursing my 4yo. My oldest, Adam (5 1/2) asks for "ninnies" (our word for nursing). Adam is giving me the power ranger stance, i reached out to tickle/attack him and before i could tell him that i'd move to the coach, his 5 yo cousin says to him, "those are for Daddy's only". Adam didn't respond, he might have been a little confused. I wasn't sure if his cousin was talking about "ninnies" or the play fighting so i kept quiet.
Now, when i was nursing both my boys on the sofa, the cousin asked me why the boys weren't drinking big boy milk. i replied that they were drinking big boy milk. so then he asks me why they do that, and i told him he needed to ask the boys. Adam finally says "to make me grow big and strong". Both my boys are grinning the entire time their cousin is asking these questions. They know what they share is something many kids don't get to have at all.

The cousin has 2 little brothers. One is currently breastfeeding as he is just a few months old. The other was weaned like him at 5 mos. So, he's watched his little brothers nurse. I wonder what he saw that made him think Daddy's only
As a strong supporter of extended breastfeeding; I would like to honestly say that I applaud you for allowing your 4 and 5 year old to continue breastfeeding! After all; you're only giving them the very best milk in the whole world... Your Breast Milk!! Have you ever had anybody give you rude stares or say rude comments for allowing your boys to breastfeed for so long?; If you have; please allow me to say, that '' YOU'' are their mother; and '' YOU'' have every right to breastfeed for as long as both of of your boys feels the need to do so!!.
#18 of 18 Old 10-20-2005, 07:48 PM

:
Quote:

As a strong supporter of extended breastfeeding; I would like to honestly say that I applaud you for allowing your 4 and 5 year old to continue breastfeeding! After all; you're only giving them the very best milk in the whole world... Your Breast Milk!! Have you ever had anybody give you rude stares or say rude comments for allowing your boys to breastfeed for so long?; If you have; please allow me to say, that '' YOU'' are their mother; and '' YOU'' have every right to breastfeed for as long as both of of your boys feels the need to do so!!. :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page