Mothering Forum banner

Desperately need support... DS constantly nursing at night

783 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  ShadowMom 
#1 ·
Lately my DS has been nursing just CONSTANTLY at night. When I write it, somehow it doesn't sound that bad. But it's not that he nurses FREQUENTLY... he has to stay latched on and the moment I unlatch him he wakes up and starts crying.

I really didn't expect this at 22 months and with all teeth fully in! I was hoping to get a little sleep for once, since he sleeps just horribly! But instead things have gotten progressively worse and now he nurses all freakin' night long... I get a few breaks here and there but that's it.

It has gotten to the point that I just dread it... during the day I love nursing him, but at night I just dread the feeling of his mouth on my breast and it goes on and on. It makes me just want to scream!

I really need some support and advice right now. I even seriously considered nightweaning, which would just crush DS. Someone please tell me that if I hang in there for just a little while it will get better, even if it's not true. I am actually crying while I write this, I don't know why it's having such an effect on me!

Please, DS, please just sleep! I was OK with the nightwakings, but completely unprepared for the CONSTANT nursing!

See less See more
#2 ·
it'll get better, mama, and better soon.

when you say all his teeth, does that include his 2nd yr molars? (both my boys had theirs right at 2)

my dd (almost 19mos) is still cutting her canines, and it's taking forever.

You are a super mama who is doing a super job meeting you ds's needs. He'll settle back into a normal routine again soon.

#4 ·
My ds did this for 6 weeks with his 2-year molars (which are not in YET) and he also does it periodically with growth spurts. (He is now about 2.5 years)

How long has it been going on? When it happens with my ds it *usually* only lasts a few nights.

Some other explanations I've heard:

-child feeling like you have too much separation during the day
-unable to sleep (you could try passionflower drops - for both of you!)
-restless/bitter/anxious mama causing un-relaxing sleep atmosphere
-not enough protein being eaten before bedtime.

Hope that helps! It really is most likely a pretty short phase.

MisfitMama

#5 ·
This may sound strange and unrelated -- but have you tried tossing out your clock?

We have no clocks anywhere near the family bedroom. DH uses his cell phone under his pillow to set an alarm to wake up.

I sleep SOOOO much better now. No matter how oftern DS nurses (which lately is often at night) I feel better rested because I do not know what time it is or how many minutes/ hours since his last waking. It can be a head game -- and without that clock to remind you it seems a lot easier!

HUGS to you mama for nurturing your babe!

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by boatbaby
This may sound strange and unrelated -- but have you tried tossing out your clock?

I second this, and thanks, boatbaby, for reminding me of this. I have done this periodically (turned it to the wall or unplugged it) and it's true - I do sleep better. I did it a few days ago when my alarm-needing dh went out of town and though my ds still nurses pretty frequently, I am definitely getting better quality sleep because of much lessened anxiety about how often/what time.

MisfitMama

#7 ·
I just finished up a week or so of DS doing the same thing. One night the nursing had me feeling so agitated I wanted to jump up and run out the front door to blow off some steam... and then get some good sleep with DS a few inches away. Well, I did neither, and it was NOT fun.

I am sure it will end soon, KMetz. Something is bothering your little one, and once it clears up you'll get your rest again. Whenever DS does this to me, I think, "Why don't you want to sleep? Just sleep!" but then I give the little guy the benefit of the doubt and realize he does want to sleep peacefully, but just can't do it without mama's help sometimes. (Easier to think this after last night, when he woke up only 2x for short nursing sessions. Ahhhhh!)

If it makes you feel better, I'll say, "this too shall pass." But for some people that phrase is annoying. If it annoys you, forget I wrote it :LOL

#8 ·
Is passionflower safe for babies? I hadn't thought of that. My 16mo is driving me nuts with her night nursing also. She's so agressive about it. She has always been this way, only she's much bigger now. She wants to stay latched on all night, but if I roll over or away from her she screams. She gets so angry, which makes me feel resentful. She rolls on my head (not joking) and pulls my hair as her way of getting my attention. Like the screaming hasn't already woken the whole house. I got so little sleep last night.

If she wakes up without me, she screams "mamaaaaaa!" in such an accusing voice. She nurses all day long, no matter where we are, she constantly demands "want boobies!" I'm not embarrassed that she demands to NIP, as much as the tone of voice she uses with me. She's so little with such big attitude. People say she's that way because I spoil her (I assume they mean nurse her?) I think she's just feisty, and I have to help direct her fire somewhere else. However, I seem to have much less patience at night. I'm not good on such little sleep. I'll stay posted and take any advice you offer the OP. Maybe if I take enough passionflower, I'll sleep through it....

#9 ·
It'll pass. DD gets in phases like this every so often, we're in one right now. I keep reminding myself that someday she won't need me so much, and I'll miss our middle of night time, somedays I repeat that over and over to myself.
Definately get rid of the clock. We keep our right outside the bedroom door where I can't see it, but DH can still hear it go off in the am.

#10 ·
yes my dd was like this - in the end I just GAVE UP and concentrated on ME going to sleep rather than her. I worked many times and I fell asleep when she was not - it was great and a skill I wish I had cultivated earlier on ..........now she is 3 and still nurses occassionally at night but for very short periods and she responds to me asking her to 'finish now'....hang on in there ...........

#11 ·
I just wanted to thank everyone for their kind words and suggestions. DS is still nursing at night but it has gotten WAY better!

I think part of it is me realizing that *I* was part of the problem... I am learning to relax and not sit there and stew and count the minutes while he nurses.

Also, he is sleeping better... don't know what was going on with him, but he's not nursing for HOURS at a time at night, like he was. Whew...

OK, I got through that stage! Wonder which stage will hit me unawares next?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.