How your older children ask to nurse? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 57 Old 11-25-2005, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I stopped offering after they were 5.. Mine are just diplomatic. Would you mind snuggling in my room..If I say not right now. They are fine..but will say do you think later on? Most times it is just as easy to just go and let them connect with me..5 minutes and there done and back at play..
#2 of 57 Old 11-25-2005, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My 4yo asks for "moo."

My 9yo likes to snuggle in bed too- but what we call "snuggles" is really snuggles, not a code-word for nursing!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#3 of 57 Old 11-25-2005, 06:07 PM

My dd who is 3.4 years calls nursing "cuddles". Up until about age two she would ask for some of mama's milk. At this time I started feeling a bit embarassed in public and so I taught her to call it cuddles. Almost everyone we know understands what this means as she describes to everyone what cuddles is and often feeds her dolls and animals cuddles. When she asks for milk she is talking about the kind that comes from a cow. I wish I didn't have to make her use a different word but I already get nasty looks from strangers from nursing her little brother who is only 10 months. At least I can count on my children growing up to be breastfeeding advocates. My dd already tells everyone she knows, including at preschool, how cuddles from mama are the healthiest, tastiest, best food for babies and children etc. If someone doesn't figure out what cuddles is she will explain to them that it is the milk that comes from Mama.
#4 of 57 Old 11-25-2005, 08:54 PM

my boys (4yo and 5 1/2 yo) ask for "ninners". usually it's followed by a please, but not always. they have used "nurse" from time to time, mostly the oldest. and they know it's breastmilk which is also "warm" milk compared to the "cold" milk in the fridge. "Ninners" is a term we picked up from MIL (actually her word is "ninny").
The day my oldest got off the school bus last year and yelled "i want ninner's mom" across the yard made me a little glad we had the code word. only because it made my neighbors smile. i'm not sure if my neighbor understood what that really meant, but some of my neighbor's know.

And like now, my 4yo gave me a nice kiss and hug and then a pat on my breast. nothing like being buttered up!
#5 of 57 Old 11-25-2005, 09:29 PM

Mine is not shy or discreet about it. He just asks straight up “mama, can I nurse your boobs please?”

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#6 of 57 Old 11-25-2005, 11:05 PM

i love hearing all the nursing words!!!

my 4y10m son says......."nummynummynummy!!!"
or sometimes just "nummy!".
or sometimes "num. num. num."

:-)
pamela

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#7 of 57 Old 11-25-2005, 11:57 PM

My 3 yr old calls it drinking "num nums" sadly she has been saying lately" i dont want to drink num nums anymore im a big kid" Sometimes i wish they would stay this little forever
#8 of 57 Old 11-26-2005, 01:01 AM

ds says "i want milk!" which i love since it is so discreet, especially when we're out...

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
#9 of 57 Old 11-26-2005, 02:56 AM

depends on how close she is to me -- if she's near me physically, she starts grabbing at my shirt saying "nah nah!"

if she's not close, she moves closer and says "nah nah"

we've just started really working on the fact that it's mommy's body and I get to decide who touches it, when -- that's how I explain why sometimes it's not okay to just come up and start lifting up my shirt

(if we're home alone, though, that's perfectly fine for me/us)

it's sooooo different when we're out and about... and it's been changing so much in the past few months.

NO signs of slowing down in the number of times she asks to nurse. This is usually a wonderful thing, at this particular moment, it's a tiring thing. ;-)

--Heather
#10 of 57 Old 11-26-2005, 03:38 AM

DD is only 2-1/2 right now but she's very verbal.

She'll yell out at home or in public, "Mommy, I want milkies" or "I want to do milkies" and often tells me where to do it.

"I want milkies on the couch, on the white chair, in bed, etc."
"I want milkies on the bench." (at the auto shop)
"I want milkies...... NOW!" (if I try to delay too long)

She also tells me which milkie she wants at any given time. And she pats the one she wants. Yesterday after she nursed a quite a while on my left side, she told me "I don't like this milkie. I want your other milkie!" My left breast felt very rejected.

And, she's really into which animals nurse right now so she's always talking about nursing and nipples. "Dogs have milkies for their puppies" etc. and "Grandma has nipples!" (She could've at least said hi to Grandma first..... That's my girl! LOL)

Tonight she was funny too. She said "Mommy Thunder has milkies for baby thunders" during a storm.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#11 of 57 Old 11-26-2005, 03:55 AM

My dd calls it nummies. She has different ways of asking but her silliest way is " Can I have some bid 'ol nummies please" *Big old nummies* Or just recently she started telling me she needed nipples. "Mama, where's those bid 'ol nipples? I love those nipples!" I have no idea why she started that. Her other thing to do is come at me rubbing her tummy and saying in this long sing songy voice.... I need Moooottttthhhherrrss Milk! Such a goofball. I can't help but crack up everytime.
#12 of 57 Old 11-26-2005, 05:01 AM

My almost 4 year old has gotten very formal lately: Mom, I would like to nurse please!!
#13 of 57 Old 11-26-2005, 07:12 AM

My little dd is only 2 1/2, but she is also very verbal. She usually asks "I want nursie." The other day, when I was trying to get her to wait until I was done eating supper, my dh was trying to distract her for me so he said "Come here and I'll nurse you." She looked at him with her mouth hanging open and said "No, daddy - only Mommy has the BIG nursies." (Which cracked us both up since at even my most engorged postpartum state I barely fill out a 34B nursing bra, and I'm considerably smaller again now.) So lately, when she asks when her daddy is around she is more specific "I want my mommy to nurse me!"
#14 of 57 Old 11-26-2005, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenEMT
My almost 4 year old has gotten very formal lately: Mom, I would like to nurse please!!
My 4.5 yo DD does this, too - she alternates between very formal and polite, and just coming up and sweetly questioning me, "teti?" (our word for bf in Spanish). I'm actually trying to get her and her 12 mo brother to use "tum tum" (pronounced "toom") instead of teti, since it's a little more discreet - comes from a nursing song I made up.
#15 of 57 Old 11-26-2005, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 3yr.3mo. dd says "I want nursies"

sometimes if she's feeling playful she'll hang her head next to my breast and just drop her mouth open while dead-eying me.

sarah

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
#16 of 57 Old 11-26-2005, 08:04 PM

"I have milkies, please?"

Mama of 2 boys, 5 girls.grouphug.gif

#17 of 57 Old 11-26-2005, 11:27 PM

"Wanna have boooooobie!"
Or, if little sister is nursing . . .
"Wanna have boooobie togevver!"
(Should've taught her a "code" word. . . )
#18 of 57 Old 11-26-2005, 11:36 PM

She asks for "mach-ma". People think it's German, because I am from Germany, but no, it's dd's own creation.
#19 of 57 Old 11-27-2005, 11:54 AM

he asks for "milks" or "mommy milks" to differentiate it from "sippy milk".
#20 of 57 Old 11-27-2005, 07:16 PM

Hmm, "teti" actually sounds like a terrific codeword for non-Spanish speaking mamas and kids.
#21 of 57 Old 11-27-2005, 11:37 PM

"Can I have a nip?" I alternate between finding this cute and disgusting.
#22 of 57 Old 11-28-2005, 06:52 PM

DS (3yrs) says, "I WANT MAMA'S MILK, please!" He will often tell me where he would like to have it as well - on the bench, in the chair, in the bed, etc. Just recently while playing outside he said, "I want mama's milk in the dirt." He also calls one boobie "small mama's milk" and the other "big mama's milk."

To my mom (his grandmother) he will ask "Mama's milk all gone?", to which she replies "Yes, your mama drank it all." He gets a kick out of that one!
#23 of 57 Old 11-28-2005, 07:55 PM

Kellie, that is adorable. Makes me want to hug your little one.
#24 of 57 Old 11-29-2005, 01:17 AM

Nurse, please, momma.

Sometimes he tells me in the bed or in the chair, not the couch. He likes to tell his brother when he's done, too so that he can get in there, while pushing his head away.

CD(DONA), Wife to Jason, Momma to Xander (7), Hayden (5), & Hanna (4)
#25 of 57 Old 11-29-2005, 01:48 PM

My 10 week old pecks like a little chick and hyperventilates.

My 3 year old says, "Mama, can I please may nurse?"

My 5 year old says, "May I please nurse?"

My almost 7 year old asks to cuddle - he self-weaned on his fifth birthday but still likes to cuddle - usually with a hand on my breast.

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

#26 of 57 Old 11-29-2005, 07:41 PM

I feel like my 2 year old dd is far too literal

She says "mommy, I want to nurse please" that's it.. nothing cute or nicknames... and yet, I find her literal sense the most endearing

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#27 of 57 Old 11-29-2005, 09:37 PM

My 33 month old son, when he is trying to be polite says "Please, May can I have some milk?"

When he is not feeling so patient or polite he pulls on my shirt/bra. I really don't like that.

My 8 month old daughter does the boobie dive. If she wants milk she won't sit in my arms upright she dives for my chest.
#28 of 57 Old 11-29-2005, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
my 3.5 yo just says, "mom may i nurse?" but sometimes he says, "can i have milkie?" and i find that irritating.
#29 of 57 Old 11-30-2005, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starflower
"I want milkies on the couch, on the white chair, in bed, etc."
"I want milkies on the bench." (at the auto shop)
"I want milkies...... NOW!" (if I try to delay too long)

She also tells me which milkie she wants at any given time. And she pats the one she wants. Yesterday after she nursed a quite a while on my left side, she told me "I don't like this milkie. I want your other milkie!" My left breast felt very rejected.
Starflower, our kids clearly took the same class. This is my ds absolutely word-for-word.

We went through a short phase a while ago where I think my supply was low for a few days and in the night when he was sleepy and confused, he kept saying "I want the OTHER one", and searching my body for some miraculous third boob which (presumably) was full of milk. (Sorry, that's kind of O/T.)
#30 of 57 Old 11-30-2005, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavery
he kept saying "I want the OTHER one", and searching my body for some miraculous third boob which (presumably) was full of milk.
My dd does the EXACT same thing! My supply severely dove for a short while following my hysterectomy, and she would continually ask for the other one

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page