Breasts after nursing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-17-2005, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering how you feel about you breast after you stop nursing. Since I have been nursing for 8 years and now hate the way my breasts look. Do your nipple go back to normal size. I could go with a bra when nursing and they didn't look bad. Now I have to wear a bra. They are getting flat and saggy. Husband as if I wanted a boob job for xmas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2005, 06:24 PM

i was wondering if my breasts would be sagging after nuyrsingg nak
Old 12-18-2005, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My breasts were sagging even BEFORE I had kids!! They didn't sag quite as much though.

DS has all but weaned from the right side so it's probably fair to say that the right side, at least, is as small as it's going to get naturally. He's only nurisng once or twice a day on lefty so it's likely that both are as small and non-perky as they'll get. They're still huge and assymetrical and kill my back and I'm seriously consideirng breast reduction surgury when DS finally weans.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 12-18-2005, 06:20 PM

Only one thing I can say...

visit this site more often.

I disliked my breasts for many years, and that site really turned my POV around. If your breasts give you physical problems that's one thing, but to cut into a healthy problem-free part of my body for appearance's sake only is not something I am willing to do.

I think if my husband asked me if I wanted breast surgery for xmas, I have to respond by asking him how much Rogaine he wanted Santa to bring him. Or if he knew where I could get a good price on a case of the new product for "Male Enhancement"...
Old 12-18-2005, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

DH could care less about what they look like. It is all me. Just feeling ugly these days. Hormones going nuts. Nipples sore as hell. and 2 boys that can't wait for santa.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:01 AM

DS weaned in April, we nursed for 4 years, 3 months. My breasts, for the most part have reverted back to their pre-pregnancy selves, including cycle related physical symptoms I enjoyed NOT having while nursing despite having my period back since DS was nine months.

At any rate, it took a few months of total weaning, and I wasn't thinking miracles, but I was pleasantly surprised. By the end of nursing they were looking pretty rough. I suppose they aren't quite so perky as they were before. But afterall, they're C-cups and I was in my early thirties then and now I'm in my late thirties. But all in all, I've been pretty impressed with their "return" to form. Now, if I could only afford some new bras!

The best and hang in there!
Em

Em 43 - Wife to hubby Mom to DS born: Jan. '01
Old 12-19-2005, 01:49 AM

I loved that site...thanks for posting the link.

Orthodox Mama
Old 12-20-2005, 08:57 PM

I am a DD and after nursing my daughter for 17 months, they went back to being a slightly less firm DD. Now I am in my later thirties and have been nursing for just over a year, depending on how Jack has been nursing, they are anywhere from a DD to an H.

I hope they return as they did before.

My aunt has a big C little D, and at age 60 she sags very little. She swears it is because of her extended breast feeding. That as long as there is milk, there is additonal bloodflow, and skin elasticity.

So wear a good bra, get lots of good nutrition and hope you have good genes.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:47 PM

I have been told that it's not the nursing that makes them sag it's the actual pregnancy and of course natural aging.i've kind of enjoyed having fuller larger breasts,but now they seem to be headed back to where they started a full B.I'mm 44 and they definately don't look like they did in my 30's.I've only been nursing for 2.9 years...
Old 12-29-2005, 08:05 AM

I am actually (half-seriously) planning to get breast implants when I'm done nursing.
I am young, in pretty good shape (size 1-2, 5'5" & 115 lbs) & the only thing that makes me feel self-concience naked in front of my hubby is my boobs.
When DD has nursed 'everything' out of them they look like empty 'milk bags'...skinny, droopy, like loose skin with big fat nipples attched to them that point towards the floor (not what you'd call perky)
I've nursed each of my children for an average of 2.5 years each.
I don't wear a bra at night.
And I pretty much "let the kid hang off my tit" which (crudely) means that I don't prop my almost 3yo up on a pillow to be at the same level as my breast.
If she wants to stand in front of me and nurse- we do that.
And if she wants to sit beside me to nurse- we do that, too.
I am not willing to do anything to affect my ability to nurse another baby becasue I'd be devestated if I had a baby & couldn't breastfeed.
So...when we're done having babies...(and DH has gone 'in') and I've researched the possible side effects...I may very well get the boobs of my dreams...a small D cup that is perky & has nipples that point toward the sky.

Mama of 2 boys, 5 girls.grouphug.gif

Old 12-29-2005, 11:15 AM

Well I didn't start of with much - less than a AA and I breastfed ds1 for a year when I was 19 so I have sent all of my adult like with post-pregnancy boobs. After each child they have gone to an A and gone back again to not much. They don't sag when I'm standing up but they do slide over a bit and look empty if I lie on my side (buy hey so does my belly!)

I like my boobs more now than I did as a teen because I know what they can do and also because they seem more sensitive and I like that. My dh likes them as they are. His mind is way more mature than the lads I met as a teenager. :

So I wouldn't trade them for anything and I couldn't be doing with anything which bounced around. I'm the only one of my living female relatives with anything less than an E or H cup so I've always been odd.

ps I love that site too it puts everything in perspective.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:51 AM

My breasts were so enormous when I was nursing that I considered them aggressive strangers camping out on my body. It was difficult to find anything that fit properly but did not fit me like a billowing tent. For me that was the only negative aspect to nursing. I was so, so, so happy to revert to my former C cup after DD weaned. I am pleased to report that the girls look pretty much as they did before - perhaps *slightly* less perky, but then again, I am in awe of what they can accomplish and thus willing to cut them a little slack.

Ah, yes, to be able to afford some good bras . . . but that's another thread, right?

Mama to 2 mopheaded rascals
Old 12-29-2005, 12:23 PM

I have to agree... it's the pregnancy that stretches them all out of shape, you just don't notice it until the frequency of nursing decreases. If you didn't nurse, you would have noticed the "problem"... which I am not convinced it is a problem, can you tell... as soon as your milk dried up.

Mine were a 34D before PG, 36DD at the end of pregnancy, and then 36DDD at the height of engorgement. They're a 36C/D now (DD is 17 month and is nursing ~2x/day). They are definitely saggier than before, but my $12 Bestform nursing bras from WalMart take good care of lifting them up again.

Blessings,
Old 12-29-2005, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira's mom
I've only been nursing for 2.9 years...
Where else but MDC could that phrase be posted?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 01-03-2006, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sag or shape is not immediately a problem with me, but I am sometimes concerned about the noticeable elongation of my nipples with dents. Any suggestions or ideas?
Uzra
Old 01-05-2006, 04:11 PM

My concern isn't so much about the looks of them... it's about how I feel about them. After 16+months of nursing (and still going) I just feel like I have two milk machines on my chest. They don't feel sexy AT ALL.

I don't want to get into a discussion over whether breasts are supposed to be for sex or for food. My breasts always used to make me feel *fantastic* and I miss that. I have always had an attractive figure that made me feel good about myself, but now not so much. I feel *nothing* sexual when DH touches them now. In fact, I don't really like to be touched there anymore.

It bums me out. Tell me this ends after nursing ends.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:48 PM

I know how you feel. I feel the same way. Nice to know I'm not alone.

Stay at home wife to Jason for 7 years Mama to Larissa Mae 2 years old :, Gavin Clay 7 months :, and Neveah Ann April 24, 2005 to July 13, 2007 ED for my food allergic babe. :::
Old 01-05-2006, 08:32 PM

I know studies say it's pregnancy, not nursing, but that's total hooey IMO. My friends and acquaintances who did not breastfeed still have their lovely firm boobies. I have nothing, nada, zip. At the moment I do because I'm nursing again, but I had a ten year gap between children, so I know they don't come back. I had *way* less than I had before. I was a nice pretty plump B and I was left with less than an A, and saggy with it. Stretch marks. Blech.

My self-esteem is perfectly fine, and I've already had a consult for implants, which I hope I can afford as soon as ds weans. I don't care about size. If they could be made firm and pretty again without going that route I'd be content with the size, even. But they're ugly post-weaning, and no change of attitude or POV is going to change that. I would never bottle feed solely for the sake of my figure, but I'm glad augmentation gets safer, easier and cheaper all the time.

As far as feeling sexy there again, it took years after weaning not to be just plain irritated with any attention paid to them, and I believe 100% that had to do with the condition of them. Not self-consciousness, not at all. They *feel* different, like skin and nothing else.

I say if you can afford it and want to there is no reason why a lady shouldn't have whatever cosmetic surgery she wants. I love nursing my baby, and I specified with the surgeon that I want minimal damage done to mammary glands/ducts/etc, but I know I'm done having kids and I want to enjoy that aspect of my body again. I don't want to rely on a bra to look good- it's more important to look and feel good when the bra comes *off!*
Old 01-05-2006, 09:37 PM

China Cat,
Don't lose heart. You will probably feel differently when your nursing season comes to a close...
I think everyones body responds differently. Fortunately mine went back to about the same condition after each child...concidering the eight years between baby #1 and #3. Dh just jokes that this just isn't his season... Eat right and stay healthy
Old 01-06-2006, 03:34 AM

I didn't want dh any where near my breasts for a long time. Around dd's 2nd bday i realized there was hope.I got more of my drive back and was more interested in being touched there.Especially after lots of kissing...
Old 01-11-2006, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizD
I know studies say it's pregnancy, not nursing, but that's total hooey IMO. My friends and acquaintances who did not breastfeed still have their lovely firm boobies.
But those are just good genes that "saved" your friends' boobs, not lack of breastfeeding. I know two women at my gym who still have perfect breasts after breastfeeding. One of them nursed for 6 months and the other nursed for 2 years. I would never, ever have guessed either of them had nursed a baby. Never. My cousin, OTOH, didn't nurse either of her two children even one time, but her breasts have gone from a full C to a saggy, small B.

It really is the pregnancy. Your nipples darken and enlarge while you're pregnant, so that isn't caused by breastfeeding. Your breasts become saggy and/or flat because they get so enlarged that the skin and tissue stretches out of shape when your milk comes in. Your milk comes in whether you breastfeed or not, so sagging, stretchmarks and flatness aren't caused by breastfeeding either. It's all about your genetics. Some people have very elastic skin and others don't.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting
Your milk comes in whether you breastfeed or not, so sagging, stretchmarks and flatness aren't caused by breastfeeding either. It's all about your genetics. Some people have very elastic skin and others don't.
Most women I know who don't breastfeed don't let their milk come in. They take drugs immediately and never even become engorged. And there is damage from constant use; it's just obvious in many cases. I used to believe it was just pregnancy and cite those statistics too. Now I know why no one listened to me.

I think when we continue to argue against anecdotal evidence we actually do a disservice to the cause of breastfeeding.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:19 PM

But if it's just breastfeeding that makes all the changes (I don't see it as "damage", damage would impair the function, not merely look different) then why is it that all the women in my grandmother's and mother's generation who did not breastfeed for one minute had the same normal looking breasts after having children that bf women do? If not nursing is the answer to keeping breasts from sagging etc., then why did my grandma and all her ffing peers have saggy breasts? Pregnancy, time and gravity.

I've noticed women in my own family who have the same type breasts even when some of the women nursed not at all or very little and others were extended breastfeeders. That would seem to indicate that genetics is a stronger factor than breastfeeding.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:28 AM

There are women in my family who have nursed and women who haven't, and I can't tell by their breasts. I've been nursing for the past 20 months and my breasts aren't very different at all - just bigger. My guess is that it has to do more with genetics and your specific type of breast tissue. I've been told by a couple of midwives that I have very dense breast tissue (I was warned that that type is more prone to benign masses so I should avoid caffeine) and I figured that's why I had/have perky breasts. Pre-kids I only wore a bra to work, but now I have to wear one all the time because I leak too much! As soon as my milk supply went down while I was pregnant with DD, I enjoyed going bra-free again occasionally. I'm a 36C/36D, so I think I'm a pretty good testament that you can breastfeed and still be perky.asdf.he thought of implants totally grosses me out - the idea of a foreign object under my skin gives me the screaming hebee-jebees. On the other hand, a tummy-tuck to get rid of the extra skin on my belly sounds like a great idea to me, so I think that we all decide what's gross and what's not based on our issues with our own bodies. (Okay, honestly I think I'm too chicken to ever do any type of non-neccessary surgurty!)

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:54 PM
Kia

OT

Very cute pictures Queen of Cups!!
Old 01-23-2006, 01:52 PM

I loved that website with the 'normal' breast pictures! Somebody should make billboards!!!! I have noticed ny own breasts becoming flatter and less perky. And felt bad about it. I will try to remember that website, and my nursing relationships, instead of my pre-children breasts, when I look in the mirror in the evening. I think changing my own perspective will do more for my self-image than any surgery could possibly do.

But Im biased. Ive always thought the idea of a foreign object under my skin is gross, too. And Ive always wanted to be able to walk around topless wthout the taboo! When I was a teenager I got a charge of obscene exposure for exactly that! -it was dropped at least.

~Sadie fly-by-nursing1.gifintactlact.gif  guitar.gif sewmachine.gif - mom to dd 9/15/01, ds 11/12/03 {ubac}, and ds 4/29/2011, wife to Mitchell.  pos.gif coming soon in late June!

User Tag List