Hi Elizabeth!
Nice to see you here too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2006, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so excited! DH and I talked over the weekend and decided that we are going to ttc this month. I am going to get my IUD removed soon and then we are going to start trying...and DH said he is in favor of child led weaning!!!
Old 03-06-2006, 02:01 PM

:
Old 03-09-2006, 02:37 AM

I agree with an earlier post, the hypothetical 10-year-old is most always a straw man.

I've heard a lot of scare-stories about teenagers who nurse, but have never met one. It's always a friend of a friend or sister of a friend, a cousin of a person at work, etc. If there really are 10-year-old nurslings in modern America then I'd like to meet them...and congratulate their moms.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eminer
Many of us used to think so, when our first baby was small, and/or when we were new to MDC. Watch out or you might get corrupted. :P
oh, so true! I came here for weaning advice (I didn't want to wean, but thought you 'needed to' after 6 months and I was in tears thinking about having to do so.) The child that "needed to wean" is now a 4 year old nursling, tandeming with his 2 month old sister.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

Old 03-10-2006, 03:25 AM

I'm pretty sure that when dd was born nursing a 10 yr old would have sounded strange.Thankfully i am not as closed minded as I was then! As far as those other sites I had to unsubscribe.I feel like i belong here and like I just don't fit in there!Mother Sunshine- I wonder if you realize how many lives you touch...Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira's mom
As far as those other sites I had to unsubscribe.I feel like i belong here and like I just don't fit in there!
me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira's mom
Mother Sunshine- I wonder if you realize how many lives you touch...Thanks for the encouragement.
Wow Thank you Kira's mom.
I just want other mamas to know they're not alone and that our intuition is valid.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:18 AM

This is somewhat different. But I sucked my thumb until I was 12/13 years old. At that point I got braces on my teeth and I was forced to stop. So I can understand a bit that some children wean from nursing very late. I remember my thumb fitted so well in my mouth, it is hard to describe, it was very comforting. When I tried it after I stopped this feeling was gone...

Carma
Old 03-13-2006, 11:58 PM

I haven't been to this board in a while. But I just wanted to say that I am still happily nursing my son. He turned 6 on the 6th of this month.

Did I think 6 years ago that I would still be nursing. Hell no I didn't. But I have no regrets that I am still doing it.

6 years ago when I first started nursing I had alot of people ask how long I planned to nurse. I could not answer that question then and to this day I still can not answer that question.

Me and Kota have grown together. Maybe I should say our nursing relationship has grown. He has taught me alot. And I think our nursing longer than most has made me alot less judgemental of others in may ways. Not sure if that makes sense

I don't see Kota as a certain age. I mean I know how old he is but nursing has never been about age or anything like that.

Our nursing has only ever been about the love and comfortableness ( okay I know thats not a word)that mom and child shares when nursing.

I didn't mean to go on and on.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlebitsMommy
Me and Kota have grown together. Maybe I should say our nursing relationship has grown. He has taught me alot. And I think our nursing longer than most has made me alot less judgemental of others in may ways. Not sure if that makes sense

I don't see Kota as a certain age. I mean I know how old he is but nursing has never been about age or anything like that.

Our nursing has only ever been about the love and comfortableness ( okay I know thats not a word)that mom and child shares when nursing.
Exactly.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

"What will you do once you know?"
Old 03-14-2006, 10:34 PM

What an inspiring thread. While I can't predict whether my three year old will be weaning any time soon (he forgot to nurse for two days earlier this week!) I can say that breastfeeding past the cultural norm has been one of the best things that ever happened, for both of us. For ds because of all the good stuff we know and love, and for me because it drew me into attachment parenting which is drawing me into more positive changes...

It's funny but I cannot ever remember even talking to dh about how our baby would be fed... I think in my mind there was nothing to talk about, I always saw formula as being for moms who had trouble of some mysterious sort... never considered it a choice. Dh sometimes questions the "why" part of certain things but he knows that I don't do things without (nearly obsessive) research and he trusts I will make a well-informed decision.

Last night, our three year old woke up with a fever, very upset and somehow being awakened at night apart from him (he had decided to sleep in the next room for only the second night in a row) made me feel 'not-in-tune' with him - I was worried. He nursed then for the first time in two days, which of course calmed both of us, and dh gave me warm fuzzies when he quietly said, "he really needs you right now." That's a man who never gave breastfeeding a thought in his life til probably after his child was born, and who has evolved into a father who doesn't worry that his child won't meet cultural expectations of weaning by a certain date... it doesn't matter.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:34 PM

I am new to the forum here, but I have heard about it plenty. I have had a Live Journal for a long time, but always felt a little overwhelmed when I visited this forum, or others. There is always so much to read in forums, I don't know how people keep up. But, I guess you just find threads that interest you and subscribe or post and go from there. My husband is going to be an on-the-road trucker, starting officially in about four days. I figure I am going to be a very lonely girl, so I really wanted to connect with some friends online.

Anyway, this thread has been wonderful to read for me. My dd is going to be four April 24, and is still asking to nurse. I mostly say okay, but sometimes ask if she is hungry or thirsty or needs something else. I have a 5-month-old who NOD, of course, so there is lots of milk. I wonder when my daughter is going to wean, and I am convinced I will be thrilled to move on, but the thought of having a "weaning party" makes me so sad. I wonder if it is because I would feel embarressed and I feel ashamed for feeling that way, or if it because the thought of putting an FINAL end date on bfing with my daughter seems ... too depressing. I honestly can't figure out which I am feeling the most.

My husband doesn't really think about nursing too much one way or another. It's just a normal part of life, I think is how he feels. So he has never had an issue with CLW. My dad has said something occasionally, like, it's about time to stop that, right? I don't know, I think I just shrug.

I thought she actually weaned at one point because she went a couple of weeks without asking, but we have had so many recent changes - new baby, move to a new town/new home, daddy going to be going on the road soon - I'm glad we still have this way to reconnect.

Actually, I wonder sometimes what I can do to bond with her in other ways. Her older brother homeschools and we have fun with that, he is old enough to interact so much now, and the baby gets so much attention in the way a baby needs attention, I wonder what I am left with to do with her that is special and all for her.

Reading this thread has made me feel so much better ... that if it is still nursing for her... then at least she has that.

I am very happy to be here.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:46 PM

Welcome to MDC Molly. Thanks for sharing. Glad you've joined us.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:49 AM

Molly!!!

User Tag List