When has fertilility come back for those who CLW? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 65 Old 04-30-2006, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In books I've read it comes back at all different times, but most of those books don't reference people who actually CLW. Ecological Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing probably comes the closest toCLW, but their average is quite sooner than those of anthropological books that talk about the Kung San in africa and other "wilder" peoples. EB&NCS says that the children will be 14-30 months apart(fertility returns at 5-21months). Anthropology books say 3-4years(fertility returning in the second or third year).

I want your experiences- say how CLW your child was, what his/her patterns were like, and when AF returned (or you got preggers). I also would like to know if you have a sister or a mother who also CLW and when her fertility returned compared to yours.

I am trying to figure out just how activly I want to avoid pregnancy right now, and if it's realistic to plan on getting prego with #2 when I am planning. My sister's were all 30 months apart, but she's skinnier than me and I think that affects fertility.

TIA!

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#2 of 65 Old 04-30-2006, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I was doing "ecological breastfeeding" with my first, got AF after 4m and when she was 9mo I found out I was pg with #2. Tandem nursing I got AF back after 6m.

DS slept through the night younger, and got bottles while I worked, and I didn't get AF until he was 7mo. He's currently weaned/nursing about 10 seconds a month.

My GYN was surprised that I was regularly cycling while nursing. I'm guessing he doesn't have too many long-term BF in his practice.

ETA: My Mom got pg with me when my brother was only 5mo and EBF. I'm not sure when she got AF back after my birth, but I know she nursed me for 11m.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#3 of 65 Old 04-30-2006, 10:45 PM

I'm with Ruth. I got my first pp af back when my first was 5 months old, but in all honesty, I wasn't completely nursing on demand. So, when my 2nd was ecologically breastfeeding, I thought for sure I was safe, but I got pregnant before my first pp af, when she was 5 months old. And when I was tandem nursing my 18 month old and my 4 month old, I ovulated.
#4 of 65 Old 04-30-2006, 11:23 PM

DD was CL bfed at one year when I got AF back (11.5 months). She was still nursing quite often when I got pg with DS at 23 months.

With DS, AF returned at 25 months post partum.

#5 of 65 Old 04-30-2006, 11:31 PM

DD is 3.5 years and still nursing. She/we night weaned at 14 months and I got my first period when she was 17 months but not sure if I was ovulating then.

We started TTC about 5 months later and I was ovulating but I had to have had a fibroid removed when she was 25 months old.

We waited 2 cycles and then we got PG. My kiddos are 3 years and 1 week apart in age.
#6 of 65 Old 04-30-2006, 11:58 PM

Five and a half or six months postpartum with both kiddos. Now, with ds, that worked out so that it was right after dd weaned, but I don't think that the added stimulation of four minutes a day was making a difference.

I think age of the mother does have something to do with it, also, similar to how age of the mother impacts the number of days of EWCM and so forth.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#7 of 65 Old 05-01-2006, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I got pregnant with #2 when DS was 13 months. He was still nursing 8-12 times a day and usually 1-2 times per night.

My mom didn't breastfeed, so no data there.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#8 of 65 Old 05-01-2006, 01:00 AM

Ds was 22 months when AF returned, which coincided with him nightweaning himself. He was nursing probably 5x a day at that point.
#9 of 65 Old 05-01-2006, 01:42 AM

My first daughter had latch/suck issues and I EP'd and got AF back at 5 months pp.

My second daughter I "ecologically breastfed"- around the clock, on demand, and AF returned for the first time at 14.5 months pp, then I went 3 more months and it has been very regular since 17.5 months (she is 22.5 months now). She was eating very little solids at 14.5 months. She still nurses around the clock.

C- mama to K (8) and A (5.5) (8w5d) 10/08, new baby O-2.11.10
#10 of 65 Old 05-01-2006, 06:03 AM

I eco-breastfed.

My cycles returned when my son was 24 months old. He was still nursing during the night at this point and frequently during the day.

He's self-weaning now at 3.5.

ETA: I'm tall and slim. 5'11 and around 130 lbs.
#11 of 65 Old 05-01-2006, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got my cycle back after Grace was born when she was 20 months and had been sleeping through the night for about a month.

I got my cycle back after Lily was born when she was 16 months old, but was still not sleeping through the night yet.

I have about 6 months of short luteal phase cycles, and then it seems to work itself out. At least thats what it has done the past 2 times.
#12 of 65 Old 05-03-2006, 02:19 AM

I was eco-breastfeeding ds and got AF back at 2.5 months PP. I am eco-breastfeeding the twins and at 4 months PP still no AF!!!!!!! I hope I have better luck this time.

Blessed mama of four
::
#13 of 65 Old 05-03-2006, 05:57 AM

My fertility has just returned and Sprout is 22 months. He was always a steady nurser and still is, but I went back to work in the fall, so there's just less time. He also still nurses at night.
#14 of 65 Old 05-03-2006, 05:48 PM

Nursed #1 on demand, worked part-time but he nursed a lot at night. Af at 21 months, got pg when he was almost 3. He weaned at 3 1/4.

Got af at 18 months with second babe. Cycles were irregular and sometimes annovulatory until she weaned at 3 1/4 months like her brother.

#3 is still nursing at 30 months, got af at 11 months even though she nursed a lot at night (and day!). My cycles are still irregular and some are annovulatory, but I'm peri-menopausal also.

None had pacifiers and sucked thumbs, no bottles either (#1 drank small amounts from a sippy while I was working.).

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

#15 of 65 Old 05-03-2006, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DD nursed ALOT, day and night, I finally induced AF back when dd was 2.5 years old, we were TTC then. I am on the thin side so I'm sure that had something to do with it, I had always had regular AF before getting pg. It wasn't until after dd was 3 that I was finally about to get pg, my fertility problems were directly related to bfing.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#16 of 65 Old 05-06-2006, 02:31 AM

DS nursed CONSTANTLY in the beginning. And I started back with AF regularly when he was about four months old....about a full six weeks before he started sleeping through the night. In fact, I think that getting AF back was what helped him learn to sleep all night. :

With DD, we had to hold back her nursings to every two to three hours and be very careful with how long she spent on each breast (severe reflux). I got AF back at six months...but only every three months until she was about 18 months. Then it was every other month until just after her second birthday. Now its pretty regular but it skips around a bit every once in a while.
#17 of 65 Old 05-06-2006, 11:43 AM

15 months to the day after ds's birth.

My other children were aroud 18 months when it came back.
#18 of 65 Old 05-06-2006, 11:44 AM

Forgot to mention, we EBF and follow CLW and my mom didn't ever breastfeed.
#19 of 65 Old 05-06-2006, 08:01 PM

My period, I'm assuming that's what you're asking, came back at 18 months with dd#1 and at 24 months with dd#2.
#20 of 65 Old 05-06-2006, 10:13 PM

AF returned 14 months after DS was born. He was still nursing around the clock and not eating any solids. DS is now 3.5 yrs old and DH and I just started TTC #2.
#21 of 65 Old 05-07-2006, 12:24 AM

With dd1, who was nursed on demand until night-weaned at ~2 years, period returned at 13 months.

I'm still nursing dd1 once a day, and dd2 nurses on demand. She's 9 months, and still no period... yet.

rural mama to DD1 DD2
unschooling, non-vaxing, writing, gardening, co-sleeping, critter-loving family :
#22 of 65 Old 05-07-2006, 02:12 AM

DS was exclusively breastfed for 5.5 months, then started occasional solids (still 95% or more breastfed) until about 7 months. At about 7 months he started eating solids a couple times a day rather than a couple times a week - the kid LOVES to eat! - and I gained about 10 lbs. He was still nursing at least twice a night until he turned one. AF came when he was 8 months and I got pregnant the next cycle, when he was about 9 months old. He was a pacifier addict - used it every moment he wasn't nursing until he was about 20 months old.

Now I'm tandem nursing. DD is 5.5 months and still exclusively breastfed and DS (23 months) nurses anywhere from 2-6 times a day. DD nurses once at night, usually after a 7 hour stretch of sleep, then sleeps another 4+ hours. DS doesn't nurse at night anymore, he night-weaned himself while I was pregnant. No AF yet. DD uses a paci some of the time.

My kids are 18 months apart, and me and my sister are 20 months apart. It seems my mother and I had similar fertility-returning experiences.

I do think weight/bodyfat percentage has a lot to do with when your fertility returns. Like I mentioned, my cycle started back when I gained weight. I think I gained weight because DS started eating more solids... so I guess its all connected!

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#23 of 65 Old 05-07-2006, 03:41 PM

With #1, I was cosleeping/babywearing/nursing on demand/no fake nipples and got my period back at 12 weeks PP.
With #2, I was cosleeping/babywearing/nursing on demand, but started giving a pacifier at 1 month. However, I am also still cosleeping with, wearing, and nursing my 3 yr. old 8-12 times each day. I got my period back at 7 weeks PP.
I am pretty thin- 130 lbs. at 5'7", a size 4. I guess I'm just unlucky- nothing could keep me from being fertile, not even a whole litter nursing on me round the clock.
#24 of 65 Old 05-07-2006, 04:33 PM

Looks like we were blessed with babies in the same month!

With both our kids, I got AF back after one year.
In both cases, they never had anything but breastmilk.

Our first child breastfed on demand but did start to sleep through the night after a few months.

We TTC when AF came back and I got pregnant when our eldest was 18 months old.

I BFed through the pregnancy with our second and until the second was seven months old, when our first stopped BFing in a truly child-led manner. Didn't ask for it for one day, then another day, a third and a fourth, and didn't say anything about it. Even after that point, our toddler didn't mention it.

Our second, a week or two younger than yours, is BF on demand, but does not sleep through the night. We BF two or three times during the night.

HTH!
#25 of 65 Old 05-07-2006, 06:26 PM

I got my period back while still EBF both times. Both kids co-sleep, no artificial nipples, nurse during naps, etc.

DS was 7 mos old when I got my period. He didn't start solids until he was 15 months.

DD was 2.5 mos when I got my period. However, she slept through the night earlier than DS.

I'm 5'8" and 140ish.
#26 of 65 Old 05-08-2006, 08:14 PM

dd was 22 months. from the time she was 4 months til 12 months, i was still working 4 days per week and i pumped. If I came up short from pumping or got stuck in traffic etc, she had an occasional bottle of formula. she wasn't very big on solids til she could feed herself.

i also trained for a marathon and ran it when she was about 18 months. i am pretty petite and 105 lbs-- and boy, i ate a MASSIVE amount of food during those months. i do think the exercise might have been a factor.

i had one cycle and then got pg with ds.
#27 of 65 Old 05-09-2006, 10:17 AM

With my oldest, AF came back when he was about 13, 14 mos or so, when it was suddenly springtime and we spent more time outside and he was doing his first real wandering in the playground type of stuff and would go for long stretches without asking to nurse.

With the rest I was tandem-nursing, and in each case when the older nursling weaned, I would get pregnant within a matter of a month or two after the weaning.

With this last one it took three-to-four months after he weaned till I got pregnant, but then again, I'm in my 40s, so that is still pretty reasonable. b'H.
#28 of 65 Old 05-09-2006, 12:47 PM

With DS, AF came back when he was 15.5 months. I had AF every 28-29 days with short luteal phases which gradually lengthened back to normal over the next 7-8 months. Initially I would ovulate later in my cycle, then it would gradually move earlier as my luteal phase lengthened, so I had the same overall cycle length. When he was just turning 2, I got pg with DD. She is now 8 months and no sign of AF yet. He nursed exclusively till 5.5 months, then still on demand till he was about 2 (still nurses now at almost 3.5, but has some limits), and awoke at night till 21 months. She nursed exclusively till 6 months, and even now just has a few bites of food a day (like 10 cheerios and a couple bites of fruit or veggie.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#29 of 65 Old 05-13-2006, 02:55 PM

ds #1 is over 4 yrs old...AF returned between 20-22 mos but never "regular" got pg with ds #2 when ds1 was 35 months old.
ds2 is now 7 1/2 mos almost exclussively bfed and I'm tandeming no signs of fertility!

My Aunt who CLW both her children ( which happend for both of them between 4-5 yrs old) got af back at 4 months both times- even though they were both frequent nursers, day and night.
#30 of 65 Old 05-13-2006, 04:07 PM

raising my two sunshine children.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page