Ok...So how old is the oldest nursling you know? Or have heard of?? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

#91 of 108 Old 06-12-2006, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom4tot
Adrienne, I admire your perseverance to nurse your son so long through all you have been through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 108 Old 06-12-2006, 11:40 AM

My great aunt was 6.
#93 of 108 Old 06-12-2006, 12:15 PM

My child will be 6 in September and still nursing and absolutely not interested in weaning any time soon.She may indeed be a record holder as she teases me that she will still nurse when she goes to college.She may well go to college early because she is extremely academicly advanced ( she taught herself to read at 2 despite my waldorfish leanings and was reading Harry Potter by 4) so it is actually possible.

She still nurses almost every day ( and would probably nurse more if I let her to have absolutly no limits) tho not much and mostly at bedtime ( or sometimes also in the morning if I remain in bed).

I find older child nursing is the easiest phase ( and she has been in this one for a while) and a sweet way to connect.My child has never been on the weight chart so it also gives me some comfort on the very rare occasions that she gets sick ( then I allow her to nurse as much as she wants).

She has always been so independent and never much of a baby ( she was walking and talking at 6m and running faster than me by 9m) so I think its been good for both of us to have this connection.Some kids are just not that interested,but she has ALWAYS been very attached to her mamas milk.

We also had some extreme problems in the beginning where most lactation experts ,OT and LLL leaders thought we would not be able to nurse ( mosly due to problems caused by birth trauma & her unusual "wiring") so after living thru the heartbreak of worrying about how it would affect her to have such trouble doing easy things like nursing,eating,sleeping,car seats etc ...its nice to have years of ease with it.She couldn't not nurse ( as bottles and ohter ways were even harder for her) so there was not a lot of choice.

I had no clue that when I said I would allow her to decide when she wanted to wean that we would have such a journey! I am glad that I made this choice and that we can enjoy it these past few years.

It has been funny watching all the other extended nursers stop..while we still keep at it.So its always nice to hear about others ( and also to live in a community where it is more common).I remember the first time I saw a 6yo nursing in public at a homeschool place , i was a bit aghast,but now it seems to natural ( tho we don't do it in public anymore).
#94 of 108 Old 06-12-2006, 12:36 PM

[HTML]I would think anything over 3 would be for the mothers benefit more than the childs. My son is 6 and he is a little man!!! I couldnt imagine[/HTML]

Every child is different.I couldn't imagine it either,but trust me , I would have stopped LONG ago if my dd would have not been traumatized by it.Not saying that other kids are traumatized as some really do lose interest in nursing much younger.Every child has thier own inner timing for weaning,walking,talking etc and parents just need to listen to that and not judge others as each soul is unique as is every famly.

You can not imagine what you do not know.I have a child who has fit that well and has her own unique track in many ways.I was also shocked when I first saw an older nursing child.Heck , I was shocked the first time I saw a women whip out her breast in public to nurse a baby.I am very large breasted ,so learning to breastfeed in public or even del with slings was certainly a big learning curve and adjustment for me.The only thing that was easy for us was family bed and we still all love that.

People and experienced Peds were shocked that my dd walked at 6m or read well at 2 ( self taught) ,so we have been used to doing things differently from the start.Just because you do not know it or because its not right for your child,don't make wrong assumptions for someone elses child.

My child is extremely independent and always has been ( she would crawl far from me at 4m and ran football fields away from me at 9m faster than me).Nursing and indepence are not exclusive terms ,infact attached kids tend to be more mature ,confident and independent.

If you do not have a nursing baby,toddler or older child ,it may seem odd because its outside of your experience.To me babies with bottles or older children sucking thier thumbs or using pacifiers or bottles seems very odd as we never used them and never had a "blankie" or "lovie" that dd was attached to.

My child has just always really loved breasts and breast milk from the moment she was born.Slowly she weans herself from it and I really trust that this is the perfect path for her and am grateful I followed her lead on this and everything that she has done ( even tho most of it has been unconventional).

We have learned not to share our nursing ( and many things) with the public because of people wth prejudices and lack of understanding.I have told my child that she can nurse as long as she wants to and I will keep my word and SHE will make that choice.
#95 of 108 Old 06-13-2006, 01:02 AM

I read some where that Geronamo nursed til 8 ,but I am not sure that its true,but thought it a nice image for boys maybe.
#96 of 108 Old 06-15-2006, 03:55 AM

IRL my twins who nursed until they were 5.5.

Online, Mom4, YOU ARE MY SHERO!!
#97 of 108 Old 06-15-2006, 04:01 AM

I already posted to this thread (the oldest nursling I have met IRL was 4.5 yo), but I thought of a family story that my great-aunt told me at our last family reunion and wanted to share.

My great-grandfather (who I never met; he died before I was born) was a twin, and apparently he and his brother nursed up to school-age...the story my great-aunt told was that he and his brother used to come home from school and fight over which side to nurse from! I have no idea what their actual ages are but that story cracked me up!
#98 of 108 Old 06-15-2006, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
IRL I nursed 3-5 times after I turned 6 (though my mom says she stoped having milk when I was 4-4.5). I also had a pen-pal (well she and I would dictate notes to our moms who were pen-pals) who was 7.5 and still nursing. I don't know when she weaned. Online 10 is the oldest I've heard of.

~Kelsie
#99 of 108 Old 06-18-2006, 05:19 AM

My dd was a completely child-led weaning and she was done when she was seven and I forget how many months.

My son stopped at five. I made him wait and put him off and probably hastened the process a bit. It was not intentional, but life happened.

I didn't have the internet until 2001 and it was several years later before I started posting on parenting forums. I would say my kids nursed "past toddlerhood and I'm not going to say how far past."

Other than my own, the oldest IRL nursling I know is five. I've reassured the mother that he will wean on his own time without her forcing the issue. She knows how old my kids were and now you do too.
#100 of 108 Old 06-18-2006, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My great-grandmother had what they used to call a change-of-life-baby. She thought she was going through menopause when her periods stopped. She didn't go to the doctor for a while - nothing a doctor could do for menopause in the 1910's -1920's. When she finally did, he told her she was pregnant, not menopausal!

There are stories that she nursed that baby, a boy, until after school age, at least 7 or 8. There was one absolutely hillarious story about calling him in from play or the field, and getting ready to offer him the breast, and realizing that the hired hand (just hired that morning) had heard her ask "Do you want some ti-ti's", thought she was talking to HIM, and could SEE her getting her breast out (no nursing shirts in those days). I don't recall the details, except that we were rolling on the floor while the eldest members of the family (the baby's oldest sisters, then grandmothers themselves) recounted the events during a family reunion decades ago.

I hadn't thought until just now, that she nursed her last baby until well after the average weaning age, even for that time period. Yeah, Grandmother Morrow!

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#101 of 108 Old 06-18-2006, 11:52 AM

IRL I have not only the oldest nursling I know.. but the ONLY nursling. Yup. I don't know any other mama's who nurse. Online is my only support.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#102 of 108 Old 06-22-2006, 02:15 AM

I think this is a really interesting thread and I am very supportive of people doing whatever works for them, although of course, I think it's sad when people wean early. Where I live, six months is now considered both the aim - and a marathon by the average mainstream parent - which seems very young to me. I breastfed my oldest child until 5, and then weaned him as I did not want to feed any longer - he loved it so he had no intention of stopping at that stage. He is very loving and hugable at age 10 and a half, still jumps into bed with me for a snooze or when afraid or ill - he is very social and is never without friends because he befriends everyone in the class - whether that's him or the breastfeeding I can't tell. He has wonderful memories of the time, and likes to reminisce about it, especially his favourite memory which is that he thought my cup of tea made the milk - consequently the cup of tea was his green light, and over he would come with a look of sheer delight and a smile a mile wide.

I have worked since he was one, mainly from home, and the breastfeeding, especially at night, reassured me that he was getting quality time from me.
#103 of 108 Old 06-22-2006, 08:46 PM

My son is the oldest nurser I know....4 3/4 and in the weaning process. He nurses probably 2-3 times a week but has asked MORE since I've been pregnant although I am not making colostrum/milk.
I know many children who nursed until 3.
Online, I thought 7 was the oldest until I read this thread
#104 of 108 Old 06-22-2006, 08:52 PM

I don't think I will go much longer....nipples too sensitive! I think my sex life wants to make a comeback after 6 years!
My ds#1 was 28mos and #2 16mos and #3 is 23 mos and nursing 4x per day and gets mad when I say they are my boobs! So this may turn into a 3year old nurser!

Kiya- Mama to 3 growing Son's. Waldorf joy.gifDoula  hug.gif  Making Recycled Woolens and Trainers every spare moment.
#105 of 108 Old 06-25-2006, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My daughter is the oldest nursling I know, or have ever heard of in real life. My friend nursed her daughter until 20 months, and then weaned her because of pressure from family and other friends. She is the second oldest I know. My dd will be 5 in August, and she says she will NEVER stop nursing! I kind of believe her.

I need to come to this forum more often. It settles me... sometimes she makes me feel touched out, and I tell her "not right now". But her 18-month-old brother can come over and nurse right then, and I am fine with him! *Why is it like that?* I cannot imagine weaning her though. She would be devastated.

I am very impressed by you mamas who are really going the distance for your children. I need that inspiration, because if I know my girl, she may be nursing at 10, too.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#106 of 108 Old 06-27-2006, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi--mine dd will be 5 in August as well and may very well go to 10--she seems more enthusiatic now than ever, we both treasure the connection, and I'd never dream of asking her to stop, though I have an idea that we're heading towards mostly nursing in our own home. Maybe you and I any other moms with similar aged daughters that we are CLWing could keep in touch...Emily
#107 of 108 Old 06-28-2006, 09:49 PM

Oldest I know or knew is my own DD she is 5 and we thought we were weaned at 5 ok she is still asking so anyway I don't know hope to have her weaned at 5 but she keeps asking. I am guessing when she is 6 like her sis she will just stop.
#108 of 108 Old 06-28-2006, 11:51 PM

I have been on another parenting forum with a mom of a 10-year-old; she did not come right out and say that he was still nursing, but she dropped a lot of hints. IRL, I know one 7-year-old who is still nursing (tandem with her 4yo sister). Aside from them, no one I know IRL has nursed as long as I did with DS (he self-weaned at 2.5 during my pregnancy w/DD).

-joan

Joan 39, single mama by choice to 10yo boy and 7yo girl

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page