How many of you still nurse toddlers in public ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 67 Old 06-06-2006, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't but I still nurse my son and he's almost 2. He nurses at home anywhere except outside. My son is so busy outside that he isn't even requesting nursing. But as soon as we home or as soon as he gets home from grandma's he requests it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 67 Old 06-06-2006, 04:09 PM

I try not to nurse my 3 year old in public for several reasons, but I will do if he really needs it. The last time I nursed him in public was a month ago in an airport and on the airplane.

Blessed mama of four
::
#3 of 67 Old 06-06-2006, 04:10 PM

I still nurse my 2.5 yr old in public, altho in some situations I try to avoid it.
#4 of 67 Old 06-06-2006, 04:16 PM

I nurse my 19mo in public. I wish more people felt comfortable doing it. If more people saw toddlers nursing it might not be viewed as such a strange, unusual thing.
#5 of 67 Old 06-06-2006, 05:22 PM

I nurse my 18 mo in public in a sling when she asks. She usually doesn't ask though because she is so distracted by all the other things going on
#6 of 67 Old 06-06-2006, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I nurse my 21 month old in public whenever he wants it.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#7 of 67 Old 06-06-2006, 05:46 PM
Pen

I nursed my ds in public until he stopped at age four. dd is only 13 months and I don't think twice about nursing in public. Oddly enough, I get all flustered when I have to nurse in someone's house.
#8 of 67 Old 06-06-2006, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i nurse my 16 month old whenever he wants to - usually at the end of grocery errands at the food coop. he doesn't often want to nurse in public but he does so more now than a few months ago.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#9 of 67 Old 06-06-2006, 06:26 PM

ds is almost 19 months. he still nurses all over the place. it's less common than it used to be for him to want boob when we are out and about, but he still does ask for it and i still give it to him in restaurants, the gym, the park, the sidewalk, etc.

me dh ds1 (11/04) ds2 (7/10) and
#10 of 67 Old 06-06-2006, 06:40 PM

I nurse my 22mo dd pretty much anywhere.

-Angela
#11 of 67 Old 06-06-2006, 08:19 PM

I nurse my over 2 year old anywhere he wants to nurse....except in public bathrooms.

mv
#12 of 67 Old 06-06-2006, 08:20 PM

I still nurse my 21 month old DD pretty much anywhere, although she is asking for it less and less frrequently when we're out and about.
#13 of 67 Old 06-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen
I nursed my ds in public until he stopped at age four. dd is only 13 months and I don't think twice about nursing in public. Oddly enough, I get all flustered when I have to nurse in someone's house.
: Same here. Wonder why that is? Maybe because I was raised to respect the rules of another person's home, kwim?
#14 of 67 Old 06-06-2006, 08:23 PM

I nurse my 18 month old in public when she asks. And I'm 39+ weeks pregnant. That gets some looks.
#15 of 67 Old 06-06-2006, 08:26 PM

The last time I NIP'd my son(who weaned at just over 4 years old) was when he was 3 1/2 - but before that it had been quite awhile since he had wanted to nurse in public - I don't remember it much after about 2, other than at parks during playgroups where everyone was nursing babies and toddlers (he'd see the other kids and decide it was time for him too, but he rarely asked). I don't remember the last time DD NIP'd - by the time she was 18 months old, she had mostly dropped all feedings aside from before sleep - so it was probably somewhere around then. She weaned around her 2nd b-day. DD2 is only 8 months, and I nurse him in public pretty much anytime we're out.
#16 of 67 Old 06-06-2006, 09:07 PM
ETW

DS is 2 and we NIP pretty often -- probably at least once a day on average.
#17 of 67 Old 06-07-2006, 12:25 AM

I was just thinking about this the other day, as I was sitting in church nursing my 14.5-month-old, who kept pulling my shirt up to expose my entire breast and side. When my older dd started doing that sort of thing, I felt embarrassed! I kept fighting to keep the shirt down. Now that I have NIPed a 4.5-year-old, it is so much easier. I figured, "Heck, let them notice -- see, look at me, I'm nursing a child of a socially acceptable age!"

Oye Yemaya oloto
#18 of 67 Old 06-07-2006, 01:09 AM

Dd is 28 months and we NIP if she wants to. Very often she forgets when we are out but I still sometimes remind her if it is too long time since last nursing.
#19 of 67 Old 06-07-2006, 01:18 AM
QDB

Nursed my 3 yo ds at a bluegrass concert and on the walk home on a bench outside a closed hair salon.

I feel more nervous about it here in KY rather than when I lived in WA state and I do try to not be noticed but...when ds wants to nurse he wants to nurse so...

However, I do try to make sure he is focused on nursing not just hanging out casually on the nipple while looking around.
#20 of 67 Old 06-07-2006, 02:24 AM

I nurse my 15 month old in public once in a while. He's so busy now that it just doesn't come up as often as it used to. It doesn't bother me yet although I never see mom's NIP here. QDB, it's funny you say you were less nervous in WA state. I live in WA and sometimes I feel like no other nursing moms go out in public. Everytime I go to the mall, EVERY baby there has a bottle!

Tina
#21 of 67 Old 06-07-2006, 02:30 AM

Still NIP with a 26-month-old. Even tho I don't always want to.
#22 of 67 Old 06-07-2006, 03:05 AM

I nurse my 19mo pretty much everywhere. He has started wanting to NIP a lot more lately, I guess as a comfort thing? I'm fine with it. I've never had a negative comment but have had a few positive ones (and I am in a community where nursing is not super common). Today when I did it on the bus the old lady next to me told me she'd nursed until she was 7.
#23 of 67 Old 06-07-2006, 03:42 AM

Hmmm....interesting. I live in WA state and I nurse my 3 yr. old in public. She can pass for 4 since she's tall for her age and so far, I've not had any negative comments. (That I've noticed anyway.) I nurse sometimes at the mall where there's a play area. Usually in front of the Victoria's Secret.

I lived in TN for awhile when I didn't have kids and I might have felt a little weird in some areas there NIPing.

When I am in MT, I feel a little more self-concious, but usually not too bad. Although, a year or so ago, my younger brother asked me not to nurse at lunch when we went to a restaurant. He asked before we left the house. That kind of ticked me off, but it ended up being a non-issue.

I have felt a little awkward at some folks' homes if I don't know them that well but the only time anyone bugged me about it, but my own uncle. He asked when I was going to stop nursing DD - and I don't even think she was a year old! This was in MT, but he lived in Minneapolis for 30 years.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#24 of 67 Old 06-07-2006, 04:09 AM

DS will soon be two and if he needs to, we NIP. Although, it doesn't come up that often. If you count the airport and airplanes, then I do it regularly, since we fly every single month.

I tend to ask him to wait till we're in the car if we're at the grocery store or just running errands around town, but there are times I can tell he doesn't have the capacity to wait, so we just sit down and have some milk.

I don't think there's any big deal to it and I've personally never had any reactions. Usually, he just wants a quick nip, I guess maybe just to see if I'll let him, I think, and then he's on his way again. Or he's hurt and NEEDS it. I would never refuse in that instance - in fact, I'm the one offering before he asks then!

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#25 of 67 Old 06-07-2006, 04:51 AM

i nurse my 18 month old whenever she asks .... unless im eating dinner, then she has to wait
#26 of 67 Old 06-07-2006, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniej
Usually, he just wants a quick nip, I guess maybe just to see if I'll let him, I think, and then he's on his way again.
My ds is the same.
#27 of 67 Old 06-07-2006, 12:04 PM

We NIP, when we were at the Seattle aquarium last month DD fell and skinned her knee pretty bad so we nursed in front of pikes place.
#28 of 67 Old 06-07-2006, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasbaby
I nurse my 15 month old in public once in a while. He's so busy now that it just doesn't come up as often as it used to. It doesn't bother me yet although I never see mom's NIP here. QDB, it's funny you say you were less nervous in WA state. I live in WA and sometimes I feel like no other nursing moms go out in public. Everytime I go to the mall, EVERY baby there has a bottle!

Tina
Tina,
Where do you live? I live in Spokane and NIP. I see lots of babies NIP but the only toddlers I ever see are my friends and we are all more on the edge. WA has some of the best NIP laws in the country. The way the law is written you can nurse totally topless and it is considered acceptable.
#29 of 67 Old 06-07-2006, 01:13 PM
QDB

maybe I was less nervous in WA b/c I had more mama friends so felt more supported?

I am often guilty of looking back at my time in WA with a *ahem* rosy glow so...perhaps hindsight is not 20/20 in this case

My husband is more nervous now that ds is older - he tries to block us with his body - most of the time tho I don't think anyone even notices - ds is pretty quick about it these days.

Someone is more likely to hear him say nipple than see mine
#30 of 67 Old 06-07-2006, 01:25 PM

My DD will be two next week and we NIP quite a lot. She is requesting it quite a bit more because she has a new brother who is nursing all the time.

I do find myself looking for private places to do so -- like a chair or a bench off to the side somewhere -- more than I used to.

The weird thing is I had no reservations NIP-ing DD before DS was born but for some reason I'm having slight feelings of awkwardness now when she asks. I think maybe it's just because most people around here have no idea that tandem nursinging is even an option so we're definitely getting some interesting looks.

Also...I don't have a whole lot of support for tandem nursing in my extended family (they are trying but it's just so far outside of what they are used to) and people make little comments about my DD's behavior (she's been struggling with the adjustment of sharing me - not a big surprise) or things like 'I hope they'll be some left for the baby' etc.

So....I guess my issue is not feeling uncomfortable nursing a toddler in public...it's tandem nursing in public.

Huh. Guess I better explore these feelings a bit more.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page