Thyroid Drugs - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 107 Old 07-24-2006, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just jumping in here....I have graves. Was on beta blockers for about a month to calm my heart until the PTU kicked in. On 12.5mg twice daily now...hoping for remission soon. Feel fantabulous!

What book did she show you that is passes through and then in turn is enough to lower the infants heart rate?

6 months is a long time to stress your heart. I cannot fathom why any endo would just want to take the chance of waiting it out. A small does of bb's and ptu would make all the difference in the world.

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#62 of 107 Old 07-24-2006, 06:31 PM

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20010701/119.html
Quote:
Propranolol (Inderal), metoprolol (Lopressor) and labetalol (Normodyne) are excreted in small quantities and are compatible with breast-feeding even in compromised infants.
http://www.breastfeeding.org/newsletter/v6i1/page6.html
Quote:
Hyperthyroidism: Clinical hyperthyroidism is rare during pregnancy (0.2% of all pregnancies). However, postpartum thyroiditis may occur in up to 5% of mothers. Postpartum thyroiditis (PPT) initially presents with an over production then after about six weeks an insufficient production of thyroid hormone. The initial hyperthyroid symptoms of PPT are generally mild and can be controlled with propranolol, a medication that is compatible with breastfeeding. Symptoms may be more severe in mothers who have Graves disease.
I think that when dr.'s don't know something they tell you to wean or if they know you won't wean they just won't prescribe anything.

I'm not suggesting you take a drug you aren't comfortable with, but the propranolol really helps with the symptoms of the hyperthyroidism before the PTU has kicked in.

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#63 of 107 Old 07-24-2006, 08:44 PM

hmmmm....thanks! She showed me a drug handbook. I will speak again to the endo, and see maybe if he will prescribe the beta blockers. I dont believe i have pregnancy hyperthyroid only because i still have the same darn symptoms ive been dealing with for 4 years. nothing has changed or gotten worse. im sick and tired of this....seems like no one wants to help me. no one has suggested i wean yet though which i see as a good thing. i have an appt wednesday to go back to the GP and ill mention another beta blocker to her. I think the one she showed me was Inderol. I just dont want my baby to get sick too on top of everything im going through right now.

Mamma to my four wonderful, amazing and unique children~~Wife to my true soulmate who sees things the way I do, together we are truly a team!
#64 of 107 Old 07-25-2006, 12:21 AM

Barbara,
Inderal is fine, L2 in Hales. Have her call me I can read it to her.
Hugs,
Amy

Doula, Wife and mom to A (11/23/01) and O (5/7/09)
#65 of 107 Old 07-25-2006, 04:11 AM

wow thank you amy!!! i wasnt sure if you were back yet, i forgot when you said you would be returning, or i would have called or emailed you lol. I will talk to my doc tomorrow and tell her about it. Maybe she was looking at an older drug handbook or something.....im glad you found something that I can possibly take! At least my doctor is honest, she said she never really sees hyperthyroid around here so she doesnt have much experience with it. But she doesnt agree with the endo who wants to wait 6 months, she is going to call him and tell him help me asap. thanks so much!!

Mamma to my four wonderful, amazing and unique children~~Wife to my true soulmate who sees things the way I do, together we are truly a team!
#66 of 107 Old 07-25-2006, 09:14 AM

You're Welcome! I got back on Sunday and will be home for 3 weeks until we go to maine for another long weekend, so call/email away!
A.

#67 of 107 Old 07-25-2006, 12:25 PM

I left a msg for my dr, and asked about inderal. I told her it was safe for bf, so hopefully she can look it up for herself and see. I hope they get back to me soon, im a little crazy lately lol. thanks for everyone's help, i really need some support with this right now.

#68 of 107 Old 07-26-2006, 03:14 PM

I have the inderol! i have not taken it yet because i need to take my kids places today and i need to be able to not drive if it makes me sleepy. Ttomorrow i will take it in the morning, i have no where to go. I have had palpitations all day today, this is the worst day for these symptoms, because i have many symptoms all at once. my heart was faster before but now i believe its better. i am shaky right now, its tkaing me forever to type this i have to keep going back. my hands were shaking so much at the dr office before that i couldnt button the baby's onesie i slipped with the button and she said we will get you well dont worry. I said im just used to it but today its really really bad...ive had this for 3 1/2 years so i got used to being shaky. Making jewelry has been hard these last few years, but i just plug away at it, or come back to it when im not as shaky. its very frustrating. the shakiness is light all the time, sometimes i dont even notice it unless im watching my hands lol. But today its worse than usual. DOes anyone know why sometimes symptoms get worse while other times they are not there? like today ive had profuse sweating(thats normal for me though, i have that constantly), bad shakes, dizziness, and hyperactivity. Im talking hyper, doing five million things at once...its crazy today. I wonder why?

#69 of 107 Old 07-26-2006, 06:44 PM

The Inderol will help your heart calm down. You will probably feel very good for a few days....then your anxiety will creep back in. Your heart will be nice and controlled but your brain will be on overdrive still because the hormones causing the feelings you describe are due to the thyroid.

I cannot stress this enough. If you take PTU your life will change and you will feel normal again. It will seriously be like taking a magic little pill. I urge you to get to a qualified endo and get your levels tested every 4 weeks or so. Have you heard of the book Graves Disease A Practical Guide by Elaine Moore? They think it is postpartum hyperthryoid right? Have they tested your antibodies to know if you have Graves or not?

To answer your question about pregnancy...many, most times the body rights itself during pregnancy, so women who had Graves before take much less PTU or none at all during pregnancy. That is why it may have not been detected during your pregnancy.

Some links for you:
http://www.elaine-moore.com/gravesdisease/pregnancy.htm
http://mediboard.com/groupee/forums/a/frm/f/150103281

#70 of 107 Old 07-26-2006, 07:17 PM

Great, thanks! The endo has not gotten the blood back yet, and i had blood drawn like 5 weeks or so ago. SO we dont know the antibodies or anything yet. I havent taken the inderol yet, but i am planning on it tonight. The thing i worry about is that i dont think my heart races 24/7. It definetly was today, but tomorrow it may be normal. I should still take the inderol then, even if im not having symptoms? I did notice though, that walking up hill, i cant make it. I had thought for years that it was because i was overweight, but now im slimmer (alot) and i am still huffing and puffing and feeling like my heart is going to just give up and say "Im done beating" lol. It feels so heavy in my chest and it feels like its hard for my heart to keep beating. Its fast, but it pounds in my chest. So the inderol will help with that too? The other day at the lake you have to walk up hill, but theres stairs. Stairs did nothign to help me. I still had to walk up the stairs to take my 3 yr old to the potty....and i almost couldnt make it. I had to stop every few steps and lean on the railing.

Today the endo was not open, buit they did call me back last night when i wasnt home, so i am hoping they had some results for me. Tomorrow first thing im calling.
I do want to take the PTU, but this stupid endo said 5 weeks ago that he wants to wait 6 months for it to go away. He didnt know though (Because i was so hyper and forget things to tell him) that during my pg i had symptoms of the same nature, only worse. I was shaking daily instead of once every few days or so. So much that i had my mw lend me her glucometer thinking it was low blood sugar. It wasnt, my sugars were always fine, so she said maybe eat more protein to balance the sugar. Now i know it was the thyroid. So i know my body, and i know i did have this during my pg. He thinks if i did, i would have gone into a thyroid storm, but that is rare, am i correct? I could have, but i didnt, but that doesnt mean i didnt have hyperthyroid back then. i still had the same symptoms ive been having for the past 3 years. I just didnt think much about them because i figured that it was either blood sugar, or my hormones. I did not have the symptoms as badly, except for the shaking, but i never though about it much. When i used to bring my symptoms up to the doc i used to have 3 years ago, he would say, barbara you are a nurse you know too much i think its all in your head and from anxiety. He would tell me my thyroid was fine, and didnt want to "waste money" by having it tested. But i knew the symptoms and i knew i was having a great deal of symptoms...it was the first thing i thought of. I dont know....i may switch endos if this one wont give me ptu...i cant understand waiting 6 months. My GP even said 6 months was too long.

#71 of 107 Old 07-26-2006, 07:32 PM

BTW, those links are EXTREMELY resourceful!! i cannot go through all of the posts now, my brain wont let me slow down that much. i read alot of info though, but i just cant do it, i have to bounce from thing to thing on here i cant just sit and read. its annoying. I just took my pulse,and ive been at rest for 45 min, and its 100. Could be a little lower like 80. So the inderol will definetly work for me i think. Im just so frustrated...i need to know what my labs are!!! and how big the nodule is.

#72 of 107 Old 07-26-2006, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulajewla
The thing i worry about is that i dont think my heart races 24/7. It definetly was today, but tomorrow it may be normal. I should still take the inderol then, even if im not having symptoms?
Yes, continue to take it. And they usually tell you not to go off unless you wean off slowly.

((Hugs)) I cannot wait to hear how much better you feel after being on PTU for a little while.

#73 of 107 Old 07-27-2006, 01:34 PM

Ok i am now officially psycho. I dont know what is going on, this endo is horrible. Ive been calling since last friday about my labs. I had TSI, TSH, FT3, FT4, T4 and T3 done. oh and TPO. My TSH about 6 weeks ago was < 0.01. Ive had symptoms for years, it has never ever gone away. Some days are better, yes, but i still have been sweating profusely for years and fine hand tremors. So i call and they call me back on monday. I call leave message on tuesday. they call me back tues night but i wasnt home. Wed they are closed, so no answers. Call today and they said ok i have your lab in front of me and the dr said that all of your labs came back WNL (within normal limits)right now...but since its been a month, we may need to adjust you since you are having symptoms again after you have been symptom free. I said, ive never been symptom free, and what the heck are we adjusting? She said, we need to adjust your meds probably because you are getting symptoms again. I said IM NOT ON MEDS! IM WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO GIVE ME MEDS SO I CAN STOP BEING CRAZY!!! she said ok, well ill fax you the thing to get your blood done so he can adjust you. Fine whatever. I said i want my labs faxed, how long will it be? She said, is it a home fax? yes. THen she said she could fax it right now as long as she doesnt have to fill out a cover sheet. I said, well i have to wait by my fax machine to make sure the paper doesnt jam, so it will be 5 min? she said yes about that. So i wait. I wait a half hour then call back. The woman is like I have no idea what you are talking about. I said i asked for these to be faxed and im waiting here, pls fax. She said ok, it will be a few min. I wait. Now its been 2 hours(this was a while ago) and i call back. She goes oh well it i guess its still on his desk, he has to go through it before we can fax anything. I told her look thats not what they told me, the other woman had the labs in her hand and was going to fax them. What happened? she said "I dont know, its on his desk now and it will be a while." So i said "Sometime today I will be faxed a copy?" She hesitatingly said yes. To me, this looks like someone screwed up my results. THere are two barbara snyders but im not sure if she goes to dr gorson, i know she goes to my PCP though and they faxed me her results once. So in the meantime, im crying hysterically because now im not hyperthyroid if my other results are wnl, but my tsh is <0.01, then that means ive got some mental disorder. Im looking into schizophrenia now...because I act totally insane and I cant control it. I dont want to be messed up.....but i am. Im sweaty, my eyes are hurting for the past 3 years, my hair has been falling out, my heart races, my resting HR is 100....i have anxiety, ihave fine hand tremors all the time, but at times it gets so bad i cant button clothing....and im friggin irritable ALL THE TIME! 3 years is enough, i cant keep doing this to my kids. So now i guess im not hyperthyroid. I thought i had it all figured out but i didnt. I still have a nodule on my thyroid though and an enlarged thyroid...but no one can tell me how big it is from the sono....no one will give me those results yet. but i can feel my thyroid and the endo did and the PCP did and we all agree its enlarged with a nodule. WHat is wrong with me!!!

#74 of 107 Old 07-27-2006, 09:27 PM

I think it's time for a new endo, the one you are seeing sounds like a nightmare. See who else is in Bennington and go see them.
Hugs,
Amy

#75 of 107 Old 07-27-2006, 10:53 PM

My counselor told me that she has heard things about this endo similar to what im complaining about. She told me her friend had great success at dartmouth. The only thing is, everyone around here doesnt have appts until October. Im stuck with him till then.

Here are my labs:

He only tested for FT3, Thyroperioxidase Ab, and Thyrotropin Receptor. Why didnt he do an FT4? should he also have done a T4 and T3?

So here it is
FT3 3.1 (ref range--2.3-4.2)
Thyroperioxidase 35 IU/ml (ref--<35)
Thyrotropin Receptor (H) 11 (ref--<10)

He made me go get more labs done, he said the next set are due now...i think he screwed up and cant diagnose me yet because he failed to get more levels. I did a FT4 today, and Thyrotropin receptor. Dummy me didnt make a copy of the lab request, so i forgot what the other one was. maybe TPO? i dont know. Im so dizzy from all this crap. Ive read and read and read all day. My head is spinning. At least my heart rate is calmer on the Inderal. I walked upstairs today without puffing! a first for me! i always thought i was too overweight to climb steps (i weigh 175) but on this, my symptoms arent so bad. maybe its not the weight.

So my sono was ok. No nodule. how come my endo felt a nodule? He was talking cancer and stuff---i got anxiety for 6 weeks now for nothing. Theres no nodule, only a slightly swollen thyroid gland.

My TSH weeks and weeks ago was <0.01 barely detectable. I still am having symptoms of hyper, but im confused now if these labs came back fine and hes fine with having me wait for meds, then maybe i have schizophrenia instead? if im not hyper, then im just nuts which makes me so upset. Something isnt right. Will a FT4 really be able to help diagnose me? i dont get whats going on with me. Thanks for everything ladies!!

#76 of 107 Old 07-27-2006, 11:23 PM

omg... this is nuts... i think of you mama.....
#77 of 107 Old 07-28-2006, 09:25 AM

And to think things might get better....
I stopped the inderal last night. I stopped because everytime i take it i have severe anxiety, i am convinced i am having an allergic reaction and cant breathe. I panic and want to go to the hospital. So last night i did not take my dose. my hands, arms, and legs shook all night long. I slept alright, but i was feeling like i had a buzz in my body....like i was on alot of caffeine. Right now im shaky too, but thats normal when im not on inderal. last night was just horrible though, i had a huge anxiety attack, my hearing was so enhanced..i could hear even a pin drop. i felt like i was hallucinating whenever i saw something on tv and ben would say its ok barbara, it really was such and such. I only watch tv at 1130....sometimes it helps calm me down at night to watch letterman and get my mind off of things. i did fall asleep at my normal time of 1145 haha....but i kept feeling like something wasnt right. I was crying and thinking i was going to die. I hate this....and im scared. I dont know if i should take the inderal this morning, or get a new bb. what if the sensation of not being able to breathe is real? i wont know because i have pill anxiety. it could be in my head, or it could be a real reaction.

#78 of 107 Old 07-28-2006, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymomma
Yes, continue to take it. And they usually tell you not to go off unless you wean off slowly.
It sounds like you are sometimes skipping taking your inderal, correct? From what happymomma says that sounds like a very, very bad idea! If you want to quit taking it you need to find out how to wean off of it, not just skip it sometimes or stop taking it suddenly. I hope you're feeling better soon.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (7) and Nathaniel (6).  Expecting Olivia in August! 

#79 of 107 Old 07-28-2006, 10:18 AM

well i only took one pill twice so far. I havent been on it long. My doc said if after 2 days i feel that its not good for me to stop taking it and find a new one. So i did. I stopped and put a call into her before. Im waiting to see if i should continue or if she is going to prescribe a new one for me. I am not sure if the breathing problem is in my head or if i really am having a reaction. right now im shaky and stuff, but thats normal for me without inderal.

#80 of 107 Old 07-30-2006, 06:06 PM

Tomorrow im calling Dartmouth..im in VT...anyone else from the VT area? I was wondering how they are. My counselor told me that she hasnt heard such great things about my endo...so im switching, but staying with him for the time being, because i know no one has any appts until October. Im not on the inderal anymore, so im waiting until tomorrow morning to get a different med. Even after 2 days of being on the Inderal, i noticed how much better i felt on it, so i cant wait to try something that wont make me wheeze. My resting pulse is good today, 80, but last night it was 115. I havent been shaky at all today really, maybe a little at lunchtime but nothing too badly. Hopefully this week ill get more answers to my thyroid questions when the labs come back.

#81 of 107 Old 07-31-2006, 10:39 AM

Im sorry im posting so much here....i guess i just need a place to vent, even if no one is reading my posts I called Dartmouth today (a big hospital in NH) and they had appts in September. So i guess ill suffer with no meds until the end of september. Its going to be harder to get over there during the school year, i dont know what im going to do because this endo doesnt want to put me on anything, he wants to see if it disappears within several months. i feel like no one wants to help me its so frustrating. I am on edge and my heart flops around, my hair falls into my plate, i shake all the time...but hey, ive lived with it for this long, why am i complaining? i guess because i had it checked out in June because i was tired of feeling this way, and am tired of treating my kids like crap because i cant control my moods. Ive just about had enough.

#82 of 107 Old 07-31-2006, 11:12 AM

Oh mama! I've just read the whole thread. I don't have much to offer, but I have thyroid issues too and sympathize with you. I know too well about the heart racing, the weight loss, and the feeling like you're going crazy. I hope you find a good endo soon!
#83 of 107 Old 07-31-2006, 02:17 PM

Anyone out there want to talk anout hypothyroidism?

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#84 of 107 Old 07-31-2006, 08:56 PM

Im actually wondering whether i go from hypO to hyper sometimes....i guess a blood test would show that.

#85 of 107 Old 07-31-2006, 09:46 PM

My doctor just prescribed 30mg of Armour Thyroid for me and I am hoping to feel better really soon. I was diag. HypO 2 yrs. before my pregnancy and then once I was pregnant, my levels increased to normal and I stopped taking it. Fast forward to 16mos post partum and I've finally found a good doctor who will prescribe Armour instead of the synth. for someone like me who is now "within normal ranges" but off the charts symptomatic. I feel lousy at this point and am practically bald in spots, so I am dying for some relief! Has experienced extreme mood swings (even more so with caffeine or sugar) due to thyroid problems?

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#86 of 107 Old 07-31-2006, 10:43 PM

I am hyper, but as far as i know moods are a big one with both. I have SEVERE moods for 4 years now due to some still unknown thyroid problem. My TSH is <0.01 (barely detectable) and my other labs came back slightly elevated, though my endo says, not relevant, so we need more bloodwork for the labs he didnt do. yeah. in the meantime, im treating my kids like crap and i am sick of it...i dont like yelling and screaming and losing my mind on a daily basis. then i go from being hyper and yelling to being depressed and tired. I always scream...i dont mean yell, i mean SCREAM. for nothing, no good reason, they could be asking to pour more juice and ill say IVE HAD IT lol. its just nuts. I hate that i cant control the moods. its really been an issue and my endo wants to wait 6 more months before meds because he thinks that its PPT and will go away on its own. News flash doc, i have had symptoms for 4 years now. It isnt going away. So anyway, yeah moods are a big one with me. I am losing hair too, but not badly just finding hair in dinner and in the sink kind of thing. I shake alot all the time, but some days are better....and i sweat. Profusely. Since my third baby was born in 2002 ive been sweating like pig on a hot summer day. Its horrible, but im kind of used to it. wish it would go away, but it isnt likely with the endo i have. And i get palpitations, but i thought that was anxiety attacks. So who the heck knows. I know on the Inderal, i did not shake as much or have palpitations. Tomorrow i go the dr to figure it all out. What are your symptoms for hypO?

#87 of 107 Old 07-31-2006, 10:59 PM

I've been diagnosed as hypo since I was 19. I actually have Hashimoto's thyroiditis (autoimmune disease where I produce antiboides that attack my thyroid....nice!). I have been really responsive to hormone replacement with synthroid, although my levels got a little wacky after I gave birth. I had an AMAZING endo in ATL who was so responsive to my symptoms as well as my lab results. My symptoms are strange, I get palpitations when my levels are high (meaning I'm in hypo mode). I am also very sensitive to changes in my meds. One time a PA changed the levels based on a blood test and I was a MESS within 3 days. I can't imagine how those of you with hyper-thyroid do it! I was shakey, my sotmach was a mess, I couldn't walk across the room without feelings out of breath, and my heart raced and skipped beats even when I was laying down. Thankfully the endo adjusted me again and I was fine.

SO, that's my hypo story

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#88 of 107 Old 07-31-2006, 11:19 PM

Hey,
did anyone start a thread about hypothyroidism? Or hashimotos? I'm going to go check in health and healing and start one if not.
#89 of 107 Old 07-31-2006, 11:29 PM

MRDCatLvr
I just found this thread. I also had thyroid cancer and a total thyroidectomy in 96. How many scans have you had? Have you had a positive one? I had 3, the first was positive but only because remnants were left from the surgery. The next two were negative. I am getting pressure to have another next year but my babe is only 7 months now and I am sure she will not wean by next spring (it will be 5 yrs then since my last one). My endo of course does not understand this! 12 months=weaning, right:
#90 of 107 Old 08-01-2006, 10:16 AM

Im interested in both hyper and hypO because i was thinking maybe i go hypO and hyper at times...but i dont know. My bloodwork got all screwy. ive been waiting 2 months just to get the bloods i need done. My TSH says im hyper, but i know thats not always a good indicator. some of my labs that i did have done came back slightly high, but the endo says that it isnt relevant. what is the blood test for hashis?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page