Question about NIP... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 09-09-2006, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am all for NIP but I wasn't sure how I felt about this. A friend of mine teaches swim lessens and one day one of the girls in her class did really well so she wanted to talk to her mom after the class to let her know how well she was doing. Well she and the girl approached the mom and as they got near her the mom lifted up her shirt totally exposing both of her breasts (she wasn't wearing a bra). My friend was in shock for a moment and then the girl (who is 7 or 8 years old) ran up and started breastfeeding. My friend felt awkward because for one thing she had never seen a child that age breastfeed and she found it hard to concentrate on what she was saying. She just felt like the mom could have maybe waited until they got out to the car or a more private place before doing that. There were a lot of other children there and she just felt it was a little inappropriate.

I was just curious for those of you that practice CLW would you ever do anything like this in public and if you saw it would you be offended at all? I am not talking about discreet NIP but exposing your breasts for everyone to see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 09-09-2006, 11:33 AM

I'm sure at several points most of a breast (perhaps even two...) has been exposed for someone walking by at the right time. BUT, I don't raise my whole shirt, and I wouldn't do it at swim class for a 7yr old (or 5 yr old, or 4yr old unless they were hurt/upset)

-Angela
#3 of 17 Old 09-09-2006, 12:48 PM

It would not offend me if someone did that in my presence but I think it would surprise me. I never cover myself with a blanket or anything but I do try to be as discreet as possible when NIP. If my kids are still nursing by age 7 I know I would not do it in public. I barely nurse my 3 year old in public anymore. I don't think there is anything wrong with it but I am just not comfortable when I can tell I am making others uncomfortable.

Blessed mama of four
::
#4 of 17 Old 09-09-2006, 02:59 PM

It would not offend me at all. But I also, at that age, would not do it. In public, that is. At home, sure! I don't expose my whole breast except for maybe a millisecond while latching. I don't go out of my way to be discreet either though. If they see, they see. It's just a boob!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#5 of 17 Old 09-09-2006, 07:00 PM

I would not be offended.

I have never NIPd even at 5, though, so I can't see myself doing it. BUT, if it worked for that family, okay. I am surprised, though, that the child or the mother would feel comfortable with it.

#6 of 17 Old 09-09-2006, 10:33 PM

Everyone will be curious and interested about watching their own species feeding youngsters when it's unfamiliar. I'm sure the mom and daughter are used to having strange looks and even comments.

Really though, an 8 year old drinking a bottle in public would also receive disapproving glances and probaly even comments. Really now, breastfeeding at age 8 or bottle feeding at age 8 is really not hurting anyone, right? At least they're eating nutritiously!

Here's the thing: if the mother had held out a lollipop as celebration for the great swim class, nobody would have thought twice. Why is that crap ok when nutritious food is not?
#7 of 17 Old 09-09-2006, 11:07 PM

nah, I'd be fine with the breast exposure. I adore the reminder that our breasts are for nursing, and, sure, their sensual parts of our bodies, but if our child needs 'em, they need 'em.

I actually think it's great any time anyone nurses any child in public, it helps ALL of us.

I have no idea how I'd handle Maya at 7...

--Heather
#8 of 17 Old 09-11-2006, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefpaige1
Everyone will be curious and interested about watching their own species feeding youngsters when it's unfamiliar. I'm sure the mom and daughter are used to having strange looks and even comments.

Really though, an 8 year old drinking a bottle in public would also receive disapproving glances and probaly even comments. Really now, breastfeeding at age 8 or bottle feeding at age 8 is really not hurting anyone, right? At least they're eating nutritiously!

Here's the thing: if the mother had held out a lollipop as celebration for the great swim class, nobody would have thought twice. Why is that crap ok when nutritious food is not?
That is so true!
#9 of 17 Old 09-11-2006, 10:08 PM

I have not nursed a child this old in public and I never expose both my breasts like I do at home. My child knows mommy likes to be covered up in public. However I would not find it shocking or wrong in any way. I actually find it very disconcerting to see a mom struggling with a blanket and a baby trying to be discreet~that is utter/udder nonsense, excuse the pun LOL and a sad commentary on our society that a woman would feel she needs to NIP under a blanket.
#10 of 17 Old 09-12-2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxton25
if you saw it would you be offended at all?
Nope! There's nothing indecent about a breast. People (especially kids) NEED to see breasts in the context of their actual purpose.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#11 of 17 Old 09-13-2006, 02:19 AM

I probably wouldn't do it, personally, but I wouldn't mind seeing it. In fact, I would be ecstatic to see it.
#12 of 17 Old 09-13-2006, 02:41 AM

Offensive? No. Bizarre? Yes, just a little.

And no, I'd never do that myself.
#13 of 17 Old 09-14-2006, 10:12 PM

I wouldn't have been offended at all. In fact, that would made me quite happy to see breasts being used for what they are made for. Kuddos to that mama for helping normalize what SHOULD be viewed as normal. I NIP my 3 yo and 8 month old at the same time, and would guess my breasts are out more than they're in. I honestly make no attempts to be descreet. I see more skin from women in bikinis and thong underwear than I do when I see a breastfeeding woman. They are breasts! They are nipples! Big whoop. I just love to see a nursing mother out there in public nurishing and comforting her child. I can imagine dd will someday be that age, and though there might be times I ask her to wait. If she really wanted to, I could care less what anyone else thought about it.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#14 of 17 Old 09-15-2006, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefpaige1

This is a really good point!!

& I'd probably initially be surprised, but in the end I'd probably want to give the other mama a high five!!

I sure hope I can stick to my guns about nursing Zander (reguardless of what the world thinks) as he gets older!!

Jennifer, mama to Zander (04), Maddie (07) & Lizzie (10/09)
#15 of 17 Old 09-15-2006, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have mixed feelings about it. The only time I will expose my breast in public to entice my ds is if he is upset or really needs to nurse down, and even then I try to be pretty close to him first and only expose one.

What she did is, however, something that shouldn't cause us to bat an eye in an ideal society. Still...it does seem a little over the top and it would probably make me a little uncomfortable while feeling like I shouldn't feel that way. Before I was a bfing mom, it would have definitely seemed strange and offputting.

So, in a way maybe the woman is a pioneer. Or, perhaps she was just really tired and automatically did something in public that she normally would only do at home. Kinda like in those early months how I would wander around with a fully exposed breast and my baby asleep in the sling, totally unaware that I was flashing the world. :

Mom, , to DS(10), , , due November 3, 2014, and 4 's: 4/01, 7/01, 9/01, and 12/13. DP to .

****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40
#16 of 17 Old 09-15-2006, 12:24 PM

I guess my "issue" if you can call it that is that we didn't use breastfeeding as a "reward". Nor did we use lollipops. But if you take it out of the using food as reward category and associate it with a loving gesture like a hug, I can wrap my head around it then.
#17 of 17 Old 09-20-2006, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchyMama2 View Post
I wouldn't have been offended at all. In fact, that would made me quite happy to see breasts being used for what they are made for. Kuddos to that mama for helping normalize what SHOULD be viewed as normal. I NIP my 3 yo and 8 month old at the same time, and would guess my breasts are out more than they're in. I honestly make no attempts to be descreet. I see more skin from women in bikinis and thong underwear than I do when I see a breastfeeding woman. They are breasts! They are nipples! Big whoop. I just love to see a nursing mother out there in public nurishing and comforting her child. I can imagine dd will someday be that age, and though there might be times I ask her to wait. If she really wanted to, I could care less what anyone else thought about it.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page