Tandem nursers...did you limit older DC's colostrum? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-10-2006, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there mamas,
I'm a mama to a 2.5 year old boy, and 27 weeks pg with our second child. So far, DS is still nursing 3x a day pretty consistently, plus a few drive bys My supply dried up pretty signficantly for a while, but DS said he was still getting milk (not sure if that was true). I seem to be starting again w/ clearish colostrum and it is more comfortable again. He says there is milk there, and I guess he knows what he's talking about

Anyway, I just got a copy of Adventures in Tandem Nursing, and I've read a little bit about it. I've been open to the idea from the beginning, and was hoping he'd make it through this pgcy still nursing (crossing my fingers). It is really just sooo important to him still.

we're planning to have this baby in a birthing center, and hopefully with DS there. He'll be with us immediately after the birth if he's unable to handle being there during labor, etc.

I know him consuming colostrum now is fine, etc. etc. I do worry when I read that some moms limit their older DC's nursing in the first few days after the new baby is born so that the newborn gets as much colostrum as possible. I'm afraid that pushing DS away like that would be hard for him (even w/distractions, etc) and i don't want to inadvertantly cause him to wean.

How did you handle it? Did you just have the newborn nurse first the first few days? I read that your milk tends to come in a little faster with subsequent babies anyway, so it may only be a day or two that is an issue. Did you try to distract your older DC from the breast? Did you just figure it would work itself out? I'm just curious about how "real life" tandem nursers handled this situation in their own families.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2006, 04:01 PM

I didn't restrict them, other than making sure the baby was always fed first (or simultaneously fed). Wouldn't your body make more colostrum to make up for it??? I never really thought about it, to be honest. I just assumed it was like feeding twins. Do twin babies get less colostrum than singletons?

I dunno. I'll be interested to read what everyone else has to say.

One word of warning tho: your toddler's poops will become very runny when consuming colostrum.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The day DD was born she and I spent all day upstairs in our bedroom, letting me rest. DH took care of DS downstairs, though he did come up to see us and meet his new little sister a few times. I *did* limit DS' nursing some in the first couple of days (not much), but that was more due to the fact that I had blisters on both nipples from DD's poor latch than concern about colostrum. When he did nurse I just made sure that DD nursed first.

OTOH, having an older nursling was great for preventing engorgement when my milk came in!

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 09-10-2006, 04:52 PM

After the twins were born I did limit (not sure if he nursed at all) my toddler for at least the first 1-2 days. My milk came in pretty quickly and I think once my milk came in I let my toddler nurse.

Blessed mama of four
::
Old 09-10-2006, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

well, I guess you only make so much colostrum once the placenta is expelled, as that triggers a hormonal change that starts the whole sequence of colostrum and then milk coming in. So from what I've read, there is a finite amount of colostrum once the placenta is out. I guess I'm torn as DS had all the colostrum he wanted until it turned to regular milk. I don't want to short change the baby, but at the same time, I feel like hopefully the babe will still get enough as long as she's allowed to have her fill first.

thanks for the responses so far...please keep them coming. I was hoping Adventures in Tandem Nursing would have a little more info on this, but at least from what i skimmed through, there wasn't that much info, so I thought I'd ask here

DS could use the laxative effect LOL. His BMs border on the harder side, and we dealt with the fear/withholding cycle for close to a year!! after a particularly painful BM. Thankfully he's been pooping daily or every other day for a few months now (without meds). It will be weird to be on the other end of the poop spectrum with him
Old 09-10-2006, 07:11 PM

My dd was 3 and a few months and only really nursed for naps when ds was born. I guess by the time I was home from the hospital (I had a C-section which required an extra day) my milk was in. And boy, was it *in*.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry. I don't think your toddler will nurse so much that your colostrum will run short, or anything. I would guess that your natural desire to set limits on your older child's nursing because of your own needs to rest and nurse the newborn will be effective.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 09-11-2006, 02:59 PM

Lilcrunchie,
I never really gave a lot of thought to this issue. Based on everything I'd read about colostrum being replenished I didn't worry about DD1 nursing on demand up until I delivered DD2; and since I was in the hospital for 2 days DD2 had me all to herself until DD1 had a one hour visit and we had our first tandem nursing session the day before I went home. It never occurred to me that maybe I should limit DD1 when I got home, at least until I was sure the milk came in.

So, I nursed DD1 on demand for the first 2 or 3 weeks despite a minor weight gain issue with DD2. However, the incidental benefit is that I seem to be having a much easier time pumping at work this time around. (Due to the law of supply and demand).

I hope you have better luck than I did with the newborn milk improving your toddler's BMs. If anything, DD1 seems to be getting worse in that department.
~Cath
Old 09-11-2006, 03:15 PM

i never limited my older nurslings colostrum intake anytime a new baby was born and they had access to it right after the birth (at least the last 2). i always felt that the newborn was getting what he/she needed. and it seems like the milk always came in on the 3rd day (or 2nd full day).

never thought about it effecting colostrum amount overall. i just figured my body took care of that.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone

I'm not going to worry about it and I'll trust it will all work out. My milk came in fully around day 5 with dS...hopefullly it will be earlier this time around.

I really appreciate the advice from the btdt moms...always helpful!
Old 09-13-2006, 01:33 PM

With Cadan I was not so concerned with how much colustrum he got...my nipples were pretty sensitive so he only got to nurse once for 3 minutes and then he had to wait until the sensitivity went down which was long after the real milk came in.

carlie~33 DP~40 mom to Cadan Riley 7/22/04, Kailin Naiya 8/05/06,, Ronen Blake12/13/08 , Rosen Blythe 7/26/10.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:05 AM

It wasn't really an issue for us. I remember having to encourage my older nursling to nurse after the first day or two, because I was SO engorged. But as a general rule, during the newborn period, I always nursed the baby before the toddler.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:45 AM

I nursed the baby first or at the same time as my daughter. I know I worried about this same thing when pg, but remember that you're now used to an older nursling who may nurse both breasts all the time. Newborns generally fill on one breast. It works out!
Old 09-16-2006, 02:16 PM

I didn't really limit it, but older ds spent the night away and then had another sleepover a few day slater, an dboy did we regrett it. My milk came and and there was no toddler there to nurse, me and the poor babe were drowing in milk. I practically forced the older one to nurse whe nhe got home
Old 09-20-2006, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys4mama View Post
I didn't restrict them, other than making sure the baby was always fed first (or simultaneously fed).
That's exactly what I did. My understanding is colostrum is like mature milk regarding supply aand demand.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
dd1 was 3, and i didn't limit. dd2 was born at home, and really, dd1 nursed very little because of all the excitement.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:43 PM

I never really worried about it. There was so much more to think about with a toddler and a new baby that I couldn't worry about who nursed first, etc... Honestly, if the baby wasn't having enough wets, then I probably would have paid more attention but my DD was back to BW by 2 days old... and somehow it seemed like my older DD was always nuring first anyway.

Old 09-22-2006, 03:44 PM

Quote:
I didn't really limit it, but older ds spent the night away and then had another sleepover a few day slater, an dboy did we regrett it. My milk came and and there was no toddler there to nurse, me and the poor babe were drowing in milk. I practically forced the older one to nurse whe nhe got home
OMG, do I hear this! I actually woke my DD1 in the middle of the night when my milk came in to dis-engorge me. Having a toddler around to help minimize my pain was THE BEST! I don't know how I did it the first time around!

Old 09-22-2006, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
With 2 babies in the house, I didn't have time or energy to think about limiting anybody's nursing. I nursed whoever needed to be nursed, whenever she wanted/needed to. Remember the whole supply/demand thing with milk? It works the same for colostrum.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 09-25-2006, 02:46 AM

I was wondering about this just yesterday Thank you for asking and answering this!

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :

User Tag List