Urban Legend? Older nurslings NIP (m) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 65 Old 11-02-2006, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwings640 View Post
You know, that story always makes me laugh about a 5 year old whipping off his mom's top and nursing away. It makes me laugh how often I hear it, so man, there must be a WHOLE lot of 5 year olds still nursing I think that most often the story is being made up in some way.... maybe someone they knew breastfed until the child was 5 or maybe it was a 2 year old who did the yanking of the shirt and it just makes for a better story to inflate the child's age so they get more shock from others. (and I am not saying there is anything wrong with nursing a 5 year old or nursing in public, just that I doubt there are THAT many so that every story could be true)

My neighbor tried to tell me this story a few months back and I answered with, "Right on! Good for her!!!" he didn't know how to respond to me. Then we informed him that at 9 1/2 months pregnant with my daughter, I was still breastfeeding my 2 year old and that we believe in child led weaning, so our kids may end up nursing up to that age or so and it wasn't a big deal to us. Funny how quickly he tried to backtrack on his story then to make it seem like he didn't see it as a big deal either (even though he was venting away about how wrong it was earlier). Now I giggle when I think of the stories he is probably telling about me.... "She was hugely pregnant with quintuplets and still breastfeeding her 10 year old!"
laughup I just have to say I love you guys!
#62 of 65 Old 11-02-2006, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchyMama2 View Post
I think people retell stories like this because they believe it will have shock value to the listener. Wouldn't it be great if when people heard one of these stories, they didn't bat and eye and responded with, "So?"

I'm an ER nurse and work triage on Saturdays. I always ask "And how is he breastfeeding? Nursing more often?" when moms bring in sick babies, toddlers, and preschoolers. They always look at me like I'm insane, but I want to plant the seed that it is NORMAL! Often they'll say, "Oh, no, he's 14 months old!" Or "He has teeth!" And I'll calmly reply, "Well, LOTS of folks still nurse until 3 or 4 and the World Health Organization recommends a bare minimum of two years." They just stare. But hey, maybe they'll start thinking!

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
#63 of 65 Old 11-02-2006, 03:03 PM

yeah, I've heard these. The most recent was from my dad, who is a lactivist in his own way, and has never done anything to make me feel uncomfortable about nursing DD (and I never hide when he's around) and was actually the one who encouraged my mom to BF when she had us.

The story he told was the child (4 or so) trying to decide which side to go for while holding up the mom's shirt.

Of course, a little gentle questioning revealed that this story was an email forward that had probably been circulating since forever. Definate urban legend material. And even if it wasn't, I said, is that such a problem?

Of course not, he said.
#64 of 65 Old 11-02-2006, 03:10 PM

I remember when I was just going into kindergarden... we had a neighbor girl named Jean. She still nursed, and my dad (whom is just a horrible person in general) would tease her and make fun of her, and BASH her and her family to anyone that would listen. Even at age 5, I picked up on how he was sexualizing the act, and how *GROSS* is was. We never saw her nurse - it just came up somehow in innocent baby conversation somehow...

My son is almost 4, and he nurses in public. He is a groper, too.

Deal with it.

He is healthy, happy, secure, smart, and a wonderful child. I am a loving, responsible, happy, fun, and secure mommy that is doing what is best for my child. We do not have my dad as a neighbor, thank god... there will be no public school or other public outcry to him about being gross, sexually taboo, or otherwise harrassed for nursing if he is still nursing at age 5.

Did I mention we nurse in public? If he wants to nurse, he asks, and as long as I am not otherwise activly occupied, then he can nurse.
#65 of 65 Old 11-02-2006, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by embers View Post

My son is almost 4, and he nurses in public. He is a groper, too.

Deal with it.

He is healthy, happy, secure, smart, and a wonderful child. I am a loving, responsible, happy, fun, and secure mommy that is doing what is best for my child. .
ditto, only my boy is two, and grops any large breasted woman... I really gotta figgure out how to stop that one...

He stuck his fingers down a pregnant woman's cleavage the other day.... you know how pregnancy tops tend to be "I got boobs"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page