Help in changing minds - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-17-2006, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I post another board and there is a thread happening right now about children breastfeeding at ages 4,5 and 6. While there are some people who are posting absolutes (such as how "sick" it is) there are also others who seem to be on the fence.

I would love to open the hearts and minds of these members to what extedned breastfeeding is and why it is beneficial. I may not be able to change the minds of those who are absolutely against it, but I feel like the others are there just needing more information.

Are there any links or reading material that really touch you on this subject?

What do you say when people bring up the "risk" of "mental (sexually, usually) problems" that they feel may be associated with extended nursing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2006, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a lot to say on this but not much time so I will post a little bit. You probably won't change anyone's mind at first this is something most people have to experience.

My question is first why is it ok to nurse a child for 1,095 days but suddenly on day 1,096 it becomes child abuse? These people need to understand what child abuse really is before you can ever try to get them to understand that nursing is not child abuse. If it is not on day 1 then it is not on day 1200 or 1300 or 1400.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Post the AAP's statement on breastfeeding age from 2005.

Quote:
AAP statement re upper age for nursing

There is no upper limit to the duration of breastfeeding and no evidence of psychologic or developmental harm from breastfeeding into the third year of life or longer.
Do they have research which the AAP is unaware of to refute this?

I'd say Kathy Dettwyler's stuff on biological markers for weaning age would be good reading material. It's on her website.

http://www.kathydettwyler.org/dettwyler.html

"What will you do once you know?"

User Tag List