If your child has self weaned...what age? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: If your child self weaned, at what age?
less than 2 yrs old 61 100.00%
2-3 yrs 53 100.00%
3-4 yrs 58 100.00%
4-5 yrs 32 100.00%
5-6 yrs 18 100.00%
6-7 yrs 4 50.00%
7-8 yrs 6 75.00%
8 + yrs 5 62.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 82 Old 08-15-2007, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#1- didn't self wean...I was stupid and misinformed back then
#2-25 months
#3- 27 months and still going strong!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 82 Old 08-15-2007, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ds1 was a little over 3 yrs

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#63 of 82 Old 08-15-2007, 07:07 PM

I voted 3-4 years. DD self-weaned at 3.5, but I think she would have kept going had I not been pregnant and lost my milk.

I am SHOCKED, I mean REALLY SHOCKED to see so many in the poll voting that their children weaned at under 2 years. Holy moly!! Is this MDC or have things changed in my baby-mooning absence??? :

My dd struck for 1 day when she was 23 months old. It was my understanding that prior to 2 years, refusal to nurse is not self-weaning, but a strike. I will be heartbroken if my ds (now 4 mos) weans before 2, but I guarantee I will do everything in my power to keep him on the boob till 24 mos, *minimum*. People do know about the WHO statement on non-BF kids under 2, right? I mean, studies have proven that they are at increased risk for disease, infection, and death. Yikes!
#64 of 82 Old 08-15-2007, 11:35 PM

Dd was 3 yrs 11 months and said she was done. She has tried a few times over the past 6 months,but the milk is gone and she stops as soon as she starts!
#65 of 82 Old 08-16-2007, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaE View Post
I voted 3-4 years. DD self-weaned at 3.5, but I think she would have kept going had I not been pregnant and lost my milk.

I am SHOCKED, I mean REALLY SHOCKED to see so many in the poll voting that their children weaned at under 2 years. Holy moly!! Is this MDC or have things changed in my baby-mooning absence??? :

My dd struck for 1 day when she was 23 months old. It was my understanding that prior to 2 years, refusal to nurse is not self-weaning, but a strike. I will be heartbroken if my ds (now 4 mos) strikes before 2, but I guarantee I will do everything in my power to keep him on the boob till 24 mos, *minimum*. People do know about the WHO statement on non-BF kids under 2, right? I mean, studies have proven that they are at increased risk for disease, infection, and death. Yikes!
I agree, the numbers are unusually large for this particular forum. This poll is not indicative of what I've seen in this forum so I don't know where many of the votes came from. Perhaps it led to a large percentage of voting from outside of this forum...: . That's my only guess. But please don't let it scare you away. It's just a poll. The many threads filled with heart-felt support should carry far more weight. You're in the right place.

#66 of 82 Old 08-16-2007, 11:06 AM

DD was 3.5 years, but I do think SOME bearing on it came from my mom who was her caregiver at the time while I WOH and my family (my father and sister) who lived next door at the time who would make snide remarks about nursing being for babies when I wasn't around (and occasionally in my presence which would always get a rise out of me!!!)

She actually said to me one night, "Mommy, I'm not going to nurse anymore, okay? Nursing is for babies." I explained to her that that wasn't true, but she held firm and never asked again even when I offered. She's with me right now and she says she can't remember nursing, but she remembers telling me that she wanted to stop (says she can't remember why though) and when I read her that some of the kids weaned at 7.5 years, she giggled and said, "WOW- I should still be nursing!!" (She'll be 7 next month!)

I'm surprised at the early wean-ers (lol) too, but I think a lot of them have to do with moms getting pregnant with another child and the child striking because of the taste of milk, etc. but I could be way off!

Manda

::Mommy to Pixie : 9-3-00 and Peri 11-15-07
#67 of 82 Old 08-16-2007, 11:42 AM

Wow, to me it seems alot of kids weaned younger than I would expect.
Interesting.
#68 of 82 Old 08-16-2007, 07:42 PM

dd is 8 and still nursing - so i voted "8 + yrs".
#69 of 82 Old 08-17-2007, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_sunshine View Post
I agree, the numbers are unusually large for this particular forum. This poll is not indicative of what I've seen in this forum so I don't know where many of the votes came from. Perhaps it led to a large percentage of voting from outside of this forum...: . That's my only guess. But please don't let it scare you away. It's just a poll. The many threads filled with heart-felt support should carry far more weight. You're in the right place.

Thanks Mother Sunshine. I was around when this forum was created, thanks in large part to you, iirc! It used to be CLW in the purest sense, but I think with the ever-growing popularity of Mothering Mag and MDC, things get a bit watered down around here sometimes. Ah, well. I'm not exactly the poster-mom for AP/NFL either!

I still can't believe these numbers though. :
#70 of 82 Old 08-18-2007, 11:42 PM

My oldest is 4 years and 4 months and has mostly stopped...here and there in the morning he will wake up, roll over and ask for it...My youngest is 2 years and 9 months and has actually ramped it UP again recently (growth spurt, I am guessing), so doesn't look like he is ready yet!

creative mom of two free-spirited boys (03/03, 11/04) : unschooling, nature loving, crafting, making, passion following family ribbonjigsaw.gif
#71 of 82 Old 08-20-2007, 01:09 PM

Well, I'm sure we are skewing the numbers, but I can't force her to nurse, nursing strike or not . A number of things have factored in, and I'm not sure if its clw, but since in can't find a true definition for clw, and dd is choosing not to nurse, even though I continue to offer several times a day, and we did child-led solids, but I do woh, it is what it is. I agree that the numbers seem skewed to a younger age...and I would love a true def. of clw. Its subject to so many interpretations, and I'm still wondering a bit myself.
#72 of 82 Old 08-20-2007, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post
We consider DD to have weaned at 4 years, 2 months (though she occasionally tried to nurse until she was 5 years, 4 months--- it just didn't work for her though).

DS weaned this last May, at 5 years, 8 months.

Neither were "fully" CLW, but they both made the final decision.
Tired! my ds weaned right about the same time! But he was only around 5 yrs and a couple of months old, so I voted 5-6 years.

Isn't it funny, Tired? Remember the good 'ole days when we complained on and on and on about how tired we were all the time, and all the nursing stuff, and now it's all over! I'm still surprised at how fast it went,
#73 of 82 Old 08-21-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanPlanter View Post
Isn't it funny, Tired? Remember the good 'ole days when we complained on and on and on about how tired we were all the time, and all the nursing stuff, and now it's all over! I'm still surprised at how fast it went,
And last night I only had one kid in the bed! Much, MUCH too fast!

#74 of 82 Old 08-24-2007, 12:03 AM

my ds complains when I try to snuggle with him to go to sleep. He often prefers to sleep by himself now... altho that only means on the little mattress on the floor next to our bed. He has yet to sleep in his own bed in his own room...

#75 of 82 Old 08-26-2007, 02:33 AM

My son recently weaned at almost 27 months. He mainly stopped asking for it, if I offered he would still do it, but without much enthusiasm. I guess it wasn't "purely" CLW because when he asked I would first offer something else (water, milk in a cup), but if he really wanted to nurse I would let him.
The last time we breastfed was in the afternoon right after a nap, he snuggled up and nursed for a long time (like 30 minutes). Then he didn't ask again. It was a sweet way to end our breastfeeding chapter, but it was unexpected. Now he wants to touch my breasts but hasn't tried to latch on in a month.
#76 of 82 Old 08-28-2007, 01:40 AM

Figured I would add -- DD is over 3 and shows no signs of weaning -- even though as I am in the final month of pregnancy, she has to "chase" the milk (her word). Not sure where all this will lead, but I am trying to honor CLW -- although with some limits (night-time) due to pain with pregnancy.

Wondering how it all changes when baby #2 (and more milk) arrive
#77 of 82 Old 08-30-2007, 12:37 AM

I'm actually really sad, but my 14 mo I think has self-weaned...over the past 1-2 weeks he has refused every time I offer. The only time he latched he immediately stared at me while biting down with excessive force!! I screamed, he cried, and I'm afraid it scared him....
Anyway, I still have a little milk, but he refused again today, even when he was hungry and tired.
I guess it's time for another one!
#78 of 82 Old 08-30-2007, 05:10 AM

dd weaned at 3.75, though she only nursed about 1 or 2 times per month for those last 6 months. In the end, it was a very peaceful CLW process. She simply stopped asking and didn't seem to notice that she was finished.

She nursed all through my preg. w/ ds and yes, there were times I doubted if CLW could really work.

Now she just hassles me if I don't nurse ds as soon as he asks. Or she tries to talk me into nursing him as a distraction, so he doesn't mess with her elaborate Lego creation. She often tells me "I think J really needs to nurse."
#79 of 82 Old 08-30-2007, 05:31 AM

I didn't vote because DD hasn't weaned yet. She turned 4 years old 2-1/2 months ago and still nurses frequently.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#80 of 82 Old 08-30-2007, 06:02 AM

I had supply issues, and seriously fought to keep nursing, but dd stayed 12 lbs for months and months, so we did end up having to supplement before her first year (she didn't have much solids at all before then). I let her continue to nurse anyhow, whenever she wanted to... despite the fact that she wasn't getting much. It was mainly for comfort, but that was fine with me. I still wanted that to be her decision. She self weaned from that right around 18 months. For that reason I wasn't sure that I should vote, however legitimate supply issues could happen to anyone, and I still let her nurse as long as she wanted to. So... I still definitely think that our situation should count.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#81 of 82 Old 08-31-2007, 01:12 AM

I had to vote "less than two years old" because my dd1 self-weaned three weeks before her 2nd bday! I'm still bfing my dd2 (just turned two) and she's down to three or four sessions each day.

My dd1 has asked to nurse several times since she weaned - a couple times when her dad and I split up (she was four) and several times since dd2 was born. Even last week she asked (and I let her) and she just turned 10! It's funny because she is so big and she tries to latch on, but just can't figure it out, and then she looks soooo embarrassed! What a doll! :

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#82 of 82 Old 08-31-2007, 01:22 AM

Good for you for letting her try!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page