How long have you nursed without milk? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 02-15-2007, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I stopped producing milk when my son was around 2 1/2. He's 3 now, and I've been thinking about our nursing relationship. He nurses 2 or 3 times a day, and asks for it probably 1-2 times more. I'm just wondering whether other women have gone through the "nursing without milk" phase and if so, for how long. Thanks!

Nicole, mama to a seven year old wonder and a three year old joy and caretaker to 3 kitties and 9 hens. 

#2 of 18 Old 02-15-2007, 07:23 PM

I don't believe I have had any milk since summer. I'm not sure exactly when. Dd (4) has slowed down a whole bunch since then but still asks to nurse. I am pregnant and she tells me she is waiting for the milk to come back and then she is going to have the chocolate milk side and the new baby can have the juice side since that side makes more milk
#3 of 18 Old 02-15-2007, 09:41 PM

We are in it right now and it happened around the time I got pregnant. So about three months.
#4 of 18 Old 02-16-2007, 03:19 AM

I would also have to say that since becoming pregnant I haven't had milk--so maybe a little less than 8 months. I think my colustrum is here though because now it seems like DS can't get enough "bilkies"--he wants to nurse anytime I am sitting or laying down and we are back to night nursing as well. I'm worried how this is going to play out once the babe is born--I guess we will have to see:

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#5 of 18 Old 02-16-2007, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonawich View Post
I stopped producing milk when my son was around 2 1/2. He's 3 now, and I've been thinking about our nursing relationship. He nurses 2 or 3 times a day, and asks for it probably 1-2 times more. I'm just wondering whether other women have gone through the "nursing without milk" phase and if so, for how long. Thanks!
How do you know you aren't producing milk? I feel like I haven't had any for a couple of years but my avid 5 1/2 yo nurser assures me I do.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#6 of 18 Old 02-17-2007, 02:50 AM

You might actually still be producing milk and not realise it.

Children are experts at getting the milk, they will be able to get milk out even when a pump can't.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#7 of 18 Old 02-17-2007, 02:54 AM

I'm the same as 4evermom...it doesn't seem like I could possibly be making any milk--it doesn't feel like I am--but Sprogly says I am, and I guess he would know.
#8 of 18 Old 02-17-2007, 01:42 PM

I've never been able to let down to a pump. I discovered last night that I do have colustrum but dd tells me it is only a tiny bit.
#9 of 18 Old 02-17-2007, 02:55 PM

What makes you think you have no milk? Afaik your body doesn't just stop producing milk after a certain time if your dc is still nursing, even if they're only nursing once a day, aside from pg maybe, but even then it's unlikely you'd have *no* milk at all.
#10 of 18 Old 02-17-2007, 06:53 PM

i'm quitting mdc because mdc is unkind and discriminates against mamas with special needs babies.
#11 of 18 Old 02-17-2007, 06:56 PM

:
#12 of 18 Old 02-18-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaspar View Post
why would you nurse without milk? i don't understand...
Because my child wants to and it makes us happy.
#13 of 18 Old 02-20-2007, 12:39 AM

I stopped producing milk when dd was about 3.5. She told me there was nothing there. We were still nursing 1-3 times a day when the milk stopped coming. She has just recently (I think) weaned herself at 4.5.
#14 of 18 Old 02-20-2007, 01:49 AM

So far, I'd say about a month... but when I ask my DD if there is milk, she enthusiastically says, YES! And says it tastes GOOD. But I cannot hand express anymore, even directly after nursing, and it's still pretty darn uncomfortable, even after the initial latch (which has been the norm since I became pregnant) so I'm slightly dubious! That being said, I know babes are much more efficient at getting milk than we are (I could never really use a pump, other than the first week in the hospital - pumps are so horrible), so she may well be getting something.

Hoping in the next few months colostrum will start to come in, and there will be more milk!

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#15 of 18 Old 02-20-2007, 07:25 PM

I haven't had any milk since soon after I got pregnant, so it's been over seven months now. I keep waiting for the colostrum to come, but dd assures me there is still nothing there. That doesn't stop her from wanting to nurse many times every day, though!
#16 of 18 Old 02-20-2007, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses!

How do I know that I don't have any milk? Well, I guess I don't know for sure, but my DS tells me that I don't (he actually said he wanted me to go to the store and get some milk and put it in my "nursies") and I can't hand express anything - not even the tiny drop that I used to be able to. I also had many supply problems with him in the first year, although I was fortunate that I never had to supplement.

Why do I continue to nurse? Because my son wants to, and I don't have a reason not to.

Thanks again everyone for the responses! I guess I am mainly a little concerned about nursing once I get pregnant (my DH and I started trying for #2). I was soooo sick during my last pregnancy and for about the first 10 months after my son was born, everytime I would nurse I would get nauseous. I'm worried that his nursing would trigger morning sickness during pregnancy and I want to think things out in case I have to wean him.

Nicole, mama to a seven year old wonder and a three year old joy and caretaker to 3 kitties and 9 hens. 

#17 of 18 Old 02-22-2007, 06:08 AM

I don't right now... but I'm not sure how long I haven't had any. I was able to squeeze out a drop or so two months ago and now I can't... so sometime between then and now it went away. Hopefully my colostrum will come in soon. It's a little sore without anything coming out. I'm 21.5 weeks pregnant and my 15 mo dd is still nursing to sleep and when she's upset/hurt. At least 8 times a day - esp 'cause she's getting molars and had a terrible cold recently.

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#18 of 18 Old 02-23-2007, 06:02 PM

with dd1 my milk stopped sometime after i nightweaned at 28mos. i was starting to ttc and wanted to get fertile again. not entirely sure the milk was gone (there may have been a few drops at a time), but i didn't feel any, and didn't hear swallowing. she continued to dry nurse until dd2 was born when dd1 was 3.5, so that's ~15mos. boy, was she happy to get milk again! (but not too happy to share it with dd2...).

my signature is usually illegible

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page