haha at the drs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 04-04-2007, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK so I am not sure this is the right forum, but anyhow, this really is to funny. I was schedualed for a CAT scan (they want to look into my ears and see if there is something wrong i keep getting multiple ear infections) anyhow they have to use this contrast die. So first they ask if I am pregnant or diabetic. Nope not any of those, but I am nursing. Ok so they say well then you have to pump and dump for 24 hrs, just give him a bottle they say. Nope not my baby, so I decline the test cause I am just not into giving him a bottle not that he would take it anyhow. Call your dr to rescheduale they say. So I call my dr, and explain the story. The lady says ok then we will just put it off, what she says, a few months? 6 months? I respond no like 3 yrs, 4 yrs. Silence complete and absolute silence. OK Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm allright then she says I will uhhhh tell the uhhhh doctor. She was so taken aback. It was pretty funny. Why can't fullterm nursing just be normal allready? But it was pretty funny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 04-04-2007, 12:40 PM

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#3 of 18 Old 04-04-2007, 03:24 PM

:

Good one mama!!
#4 of 18 Old 04-04-2007, 04:53 PM

Funny!

Do you drink cow's milk? My brother gets ear infections when he drinks cows milk. He's fine on goat's though.

Hope you can clear it up sometime before they have to look at your head!
#5 of 18 Old 04-04-2007, 07:08 PM

what I wouldn't give to be the fly on the wall.

it really is fun freaking out the squares at times.
#6 of 18 Old 04-04-2007, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I never got anything but support and cooperation back when I needed a thyroid operation and DD was still nursing.

I do sort of wonder, though very rarely, what comments, if any, were made amongst themselves at the hospital.

"What will you do once you know?"
#7 of 18 Old 04-04-2007, 10:23 PM

Did they do a Hales lookup about the pump and dump? Sometimes they say that but its' really not necessary.
#8 of 18 Old 04-05-2007, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

They just said that, I was thinking of asking a LLL to look it up in that book. I'm still not so sure how good it would be for him though...I don't know, I'm kinda hoping that it can just wait, or they can find some other way to look.
Also it isnt allergys FWIW, I am on an elimination diet due to ds3's allergys, plus some of my own.
But ya I may look it up just to find out.
I to often wonder what it would be like to be a fly on the wall some days
#9 of 18 Old 04-05-2007, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I had a cat scan when my son was a newborn. When I told them I was nursing they went ahead and did the scan without the contrast. It really was a necessity, but so was the nursing so they compromised. I suppose on some of scans it wouldn't work but it might be possible.
#10 of 18 Old 04-05-2007, 11:56 AM

Thats so funny. I bet that person on the phone has told everyone that story. I am sure she is saying this "crazy" lady said she was going to nurse for 4 years. She was probably so shocked. Good for you.

Melissa-:,:,, mama to Madyson (11-18-06) and Maisie (5-20-09). DW to Doug (10-23-04).
#11 of 18 Old 04-05-2007, 01:19 PM

I also was schedualed for a CAT scan and _I_ had to ask if it was OK to be nursing. They said no, you can't nurse for 48 hours after, like with you, so I told them well that's not going to work for me (my little guy's not a bottle man either) so they asked how old he was (maybe 8 months at the time) and when I told the lady she said, well, OK, just call and reschedual when you're finished. I just said "OK" and hung up. That was a year and a half ago now... To be honest, on the phone, it didn't occur to me (kinda dumb I guess) that they were assuming we were almost "done" with nursing.

Now I wish I'd said something!

treehugger.gif
#12 of 18 Old 04-05-2007, 01:54 PM

EEEK! I had to have a Cat Scan last year while DS was still nursing. They thought I had appendicitis. They used IV and oral contrast.

I asked about nursing and so they shielded my breasts with an extra lead shield. But, the radiologist said that it would be fine to breastfeed even after the contrast!

That is SCARY!
#13 of 18 Old 04-05-2007, 02:11 PM

here's dr.hale's forums on the subject (radiocontrast/radioopaque):

http://66.230.33.248/discus/messages...tml?1172334188

I've never had a problem finding info on any meds/etc there.

of MDC mamas I know of who have the actual Book, RubyV comes to mind (she helped me out when I was facing possible methotrexate for a loss).

Most of the contrast agents apparently aren't a big problem (pump and dump 4 hours at worst for most?).

a bit longer for the radioactive ones (such as for PET scan).

I LOVE dr. hale and his forums!!
#14 of 18 Old 04-05-2007, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love when people ask how long I'm going to nurse. After they get over the shock that I'm tandem nursing my 16-month-old and 2-month-old, then I hit them with the news that I'll be nursing both of them to at least age 2-3.
#15 of 18 Old 04-05-2007, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanx for the info guys, I will call back my dr and let them know, good thing i have you guys!
#16 of 18 Old 04-05-2007, 05:55 PM

Yah. I went to a breast surgeon to see about a lump- the receptionist said when we got there, "so you're still nursing?". I answered "yes". After I consulted with the surgeon and we decided to schedule an ultrasound with a diagnostic center, the receptionist had the diagnostic center on the phone. She put them on hold to ask me "so you're STILL nursing"? Like, "are you sure?". It was funny. Nobody even looked up in the crowded but quiet waiting room my 2-year old was climbing around in...
#17 of 18 Old 04-14-2007, 02:04 AM

and that lady is in her forum going "she said 3 or 4 years"

lol i love some peoples reactions to nursing sometimes
#18 of 18 Old 04-14-2007, 02:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hale is a invaluable asset. I used the charts at his website to make sure that I wasn't given a form of radioactive iodine that would have meant forcing DD to wean. Not that it would have been a physical issue, since she was 5, but it was a very emotional issue for her. When the nurse told me that it was the form that meant weaning, I hadn't even said anything to DD before she burst into tears just from following our conversation. The nurse was very sympathetic, knew about the other form with the 8 hour half-life, and we simply cancelled until I could get my doc to write for the form I needed.

And the radiation safety guy whom I spoke to was familiar with that chart.

Thank Goddess for I123. I could have my test and nurse DD too--the next day.

"What will you do once you know?"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page