Self weened - Now what should he drink? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 05-23-2007, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

My son is no longer interested in nursing. He's 11 months old and hasn't nursed for the past week. I'm not sure what to give him now? Juice? Cow's milk? Formula?

He's been eating solids regularly (fruits, veggies and grains) but I don't know if he's getting enough.

Help! Any adivce?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 05-23-2007, 02:44 PM

Is it possible he's on a nursing strike right now? This is the prime time for it. Lots of mamas here can tell you more about this.

Is there anything else going on - teeth, learning to walk, etc?

How does he act when you offer to nurse?

To answer your question, I would try to keep getting him to nurse or pump and give him your milk in a cup. I believe that humans need bm for at least the first two years of life. Solids are still kind of experiemental at this age, so it is important for him to still get your milk. You should also give him water since he is eating solids.

Best wishes to you both!
#3 of 18 Old 05-23-2007, 02:53 PM

I have never personally heard of an 11 month old child self-weaning.

Instead, they get easily distracted and go for more food and self-feeding.

At 12 months, the optimum diet is still getting at least 75% bmilk, so I would definately push the nursing.

How often are you offering? Always before solids? Does he use a pacifier or bottle? What is he drinking now (I would be concerned about dehydration if he hadn't had anything to drink for a week).

Good luck,

#4 of 18 Old 05-23-2007, 02:53 PM

11 months is too young to wean, so I'd definitely keep trying to get him back to the breast.
Some good info on nursing strikes:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/strike.html

If you can't get him back to the breast, your pumped milk in a bottle or cup would be the best thing for him. If that's not possible, he should have formula. Babies need a full fat milk (preferably mama's milk) until at least age 2.
#5 of 18 Old 05-23-2007, 03:01 PM

I think the general consensus on this board is that self weaning almost never happens before 2.

You son is most likely going through a nursing strike and the best thing to give him to drink, if he absolutely refuses the breast is expressed breast milk. There are many resources for getting through a nursing strike here:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/babyselfwean.html

If you are not trying to get him back to the breast the breast-feeding beyond infancy board will probably be more helpful. Most of us on this board are not offering anything but water at this age

nothing more to say I guess :
#6 of 18 Old 05-23-2007, 03:02 PM

X-posted with sunnysideup (even the same link I think, but check out my 2nd one it is about whether babies under a year self-wean)

#7 of 18 Old 05-23-2007, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamak05 View Post
Is it possible he's on a nursing strike right now? This is the prime time for it. Lots of mamas here can tell you more about this.

Is there anything else going on - teeth, learning to walk, etc?

How does he act when you offer to nurse?

To answer your question, I would try to keep getting him to nurse or pump and give him your milk in a cup. I believe that humans need bm for at least the first two years of life. Solids are still kind of experiemental at this age, so it is important for him to still get your milk. You should also give him water since he is eating solids.

Best wishes to you both!
He has no teeth but seems to be going through the teething process. Yes, he's also learning to walk and I just found out that I'm pregnant again.

Tried to express some milk yesterday but my milk production has decreased quite dramatically. Maybe I could spend more time pumping and see if I can get it back up.

He'll act like he wants to nurse but when I get him latched on he gets frustrated and starts moving his head around with my breast still in his mouth. Sometimes he just pushes me away. Other times he'll just suckle but I don't hear him swallowing.

His latch has also changed, or maybe it's my nipple, but my right side has started developing what looks like a scab. It's very painful when he pulls on it.

Maybe I need to meet with someone from La Leche? I don't know.

Thanks for everyone's advice.
#8 of 18 Old 05-23-2007, 10:27 PM

Congrats on the new babe!

Yes, give LLL a call and see if they can help. If you are up to it, pump so you can build up some supply and keep offering, even if you don't hear him swallowing milk.

Do make sure he gets plenty of water and check out the links from PPs above. Perhaps your new pregnancy will make this harder for you, but hopefully you and your son will be able to resume your nursing relationship.
#9 of 18 Old 05-23-2007, 11:56 PM

Yes, I would definitely call a LLL leader. I really hope your babe continues nursing.....and congratulations on your pregnancy.

knit.gifMama to reading.gif  and  babygirl.gif
#10 of 18 Old 05-24-2007, 02:29 AM

You need to make sure you are getting plenty of water to drink. it'll be easier to nurse or pump if you do especially since you are pregnant. being pregnant doesn't mean you'll lose your supply but you need to drink lots of water!
#11 of 18 Old 05-24-2007, 08:19 AM

Yeah I have to agree it's probably a strike. My dd did this too around that age and all the way up until about 14 months. Now at 21 months she's nursing about 3-4 times a day and it's her thats asking for it. LOL Hang in there. Congrats on your new baby!!
#12 of 18 Old 05-24-2007, 09:48 AM

Your child is not weaning, this is a nursing strike. 11 month olds do NOT self wean. Offer NO other drinks, NO other sucking. Offer as much as humanly possible. Take a few days off, if you can, and devote them to getting your DC back on the breast. Good luck!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#13 of 18 Old 05-24-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tali's Mama
He has no teeth but seems to be going through the teething process. Yes, he's also learning to walk and I just found out that I'm pregnant again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
Offer NO other drinks, NO other sucking. Offer as much as humanly possible.

Umm, did you read the bit where the OP said she is pregnant?

Pregnancy can reduce your supply, sometimes drastically. In that case I think the advice to offer NO other drinks could be dangerous.

#14 of 18 Old 05-24-2007, 11:09 AM

Welcome to mothering and congratulations on your 2nd pregnancy.

I am going to parrot what everyone else said. 11 month olds still need most of their calories to be from breastmilk and it is impossible for them to self-wean at that age. My son Harvest did this a couple weeks ago and we are just getting back to normal now. I think the problem was that he was learning to do new things and was too distracted to sit still and nurse. I just kept offering the breast to him and no bottles or anything like that. I also only tried to nurse him when we were in a non stimulating environment. Nursing strikes are common at this age. You just have to be patient and keep trying. Eventually he will want to nurse again. If you are engorged you should pump to keep your supply up. I realize pregnancy can cause a supply drop so if he is not getting enough calories you should offer him water in a cup and other nutritious solids. Just make sure that you dont give him so much food and water that he doesnt want breast milk. Keep him a little hungry so that he will have no choice but to come back to the breast. That is my two cents.

Joyful mama of 3.
#15 of 18 Old 05-24-2007, 11:17 AM

I have to disagree with some of the other posters- babies under a year generally don't self-wean without outside influences. Mom being pregnant is an outside influence that can definitely cause a child to refuse to nurse- whether we call that a strike or child-led weaning is pretty irrelevant.

From my reading, while nursing (or hand expressing) is fine during pregnancy, pumping is generally not recommended.

I'm not sure what I'd offer in place of breastmilk- I would probably offer whole goat's milk or cow milk at that age, but I'm not sure.

Congratulations of your pregnancy!
#16 of 18 Old 05-24-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith&Alexander View Post
I have to disagree with some of the other posters- babies under a year generally don't self-wean without outside influences. Mom being pregnant is an outside influence that can definitely cause a child to refuse to nurse- whether we call that a strike or child-led weaning is pretty irrelevant.
With the additional information of the pregnancy, I would concur.

You can definately *encourage* nursing at this point, but if your supply has drastically reduced what is most important is that your baby is eating.

I would go with an organic cow's milk formula at that age (personally). You might find that DS is unwilling to tak it though (he's used to the good stuff). In that case if you have NO allergies in your family and DS has shown no food sensitivities I would probably just go with a whole animal milk (cow or goat, your choice, DS' preference).

But, you could still have a pretty good supply and it has just gotten a little harder/DS is "lazy"/distracted. To deal with that, I would completely limit sucking to nursing (no bottles or pacifiers).

Good luck & CONGRATS!!!

#17 of 18 Old 05-26-2007, 04:55 AM

Just to add from my experience that it's possible for supply to change quite rapidly once you are pregnant. The majority of people notice some reduction in supply at some point. By about 6-7 weeks there was a clear difference for me (I'm nursing my 2 almost 3 year old). Now at around 13 weeks he's having a little sip at the breast a couple of times a day but there's very little swallowing.
I would agree that child-led weaning is not going to happen at that age but with the influence of pregnancy - it doesn't really matter what we call it.
I would also try organic cow's milk (my nursling is taking a mouthful and uttering a very heartfelt 'yuk' and letting it all pour down his chin so it's not working for us though!)
#18 of 18 Old 05-29-2007, 05:56 AM

we´re going through the same hting...ds is 15mo, and we´ve been like this since he started to walk at 12mo. i keep offering, and he nurses but only swallows with the right breast, ocassionaly with the left breast. thanks to mothers here int he forum, i took away his sippy cup which was great cuz he now drinks wonderfuly from a normal cup or glass! i was giving him a bottle at night cuz he was very very hungry....-the only thing that has changed here is tha ti give it to him un a cup or glass but i have to givehim something to drink/eat at night...if i don´t he spends a few hours nursing like crazy, hitting me, crying...obviously he doesn´t get enough from the breast so i don´t think it´s fair to let him be like that for a few hours each night. poor thing. but during the day he only asks to nurse once or twice, the rest is me offering but we don´t get anywhere. but he still nurses some, and it´s better than nothing!

he needs breast milk. NEEDS IT. so keep offering, drink water and keep calm...i´m sure he´ll nurse again!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page