weight gain * Updated* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 05-24-2007, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just had a few questions that maybe you ladies could help with.I have no idea if this is normal or not and I am a little worried.At 24 mos my DD weighed 20 lbs, After DS was born she put on about 2 lbs a month. DS is now almost 7 mos and DD weighs 35lbs. It just seems like alot of weight gain in a really short period of time. Alot of people have suggested that I should/ should have weaned her before DS was born and that the weight gain is a problem.
(could : IL's because of some hurtful comments) I know she is just a baby and her weight shouldn't matter. It breaks my heart when she says" I too heavy" ( comments from the IL's) I am not sure what to do. She was always very tiny and now she is very chubby. Please don't: me I am just worried health wise and wondering if it is just the nursing or something else. I am also very mad because I think these type of comments are getting to my DD ( telling her she is to big to nurse) Sh ehad been nursing to keep up with DS most days and then for the past week and a half has dropped all of her nursings except one in bed at night. I really don't knwo what to think.
TIA
Krista

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

#2 of 19 Old 05-25-2007, 01:21 AM

My advice is to keep her away from the ILs if they can't stop making inappropriate comments, tell her that she's NOT too heavy and she is beautiful, and that she is not too old to nurse.
#3 of 19 Old 05-25-2007, 02:44 PM

From your post I cant figure out how old your DD is?
It says at 24 months, but is that now?

I would tell anyone that is telling your DD she is too big that they need to keep there comments to themselves that your DD is perfect the way she is. I would HIGHLY doubt that nursing would make her gain weight more than usual. If you are concerned I would talk to her ped and make sure something is not going on besides a healthy child. Ever child is different and some are small and some are big. Why do people even THINK they can say something like that to such a young child?: Makes me sick.

to you mama!
#4 of 19 Old 05-25-2007, 04:50 PM

I'm also not sure exactly how old your dd is, but I'm assuming about 2 1/2. If so, 35 lbs is in the normal range, albeit on the high side, but still within normal limits according to my growth chart. It could be that your milk has a higher fat content since your ds is so young. In any case, I'd ask your IL's not to tell her she's too big; remind them if they don't have anything nice to say then they should say nothing at all Also, I hate the too big to nurse anymore thing (my dd gets it sometimes too). I just tell her that WE know she's not too big to nurse and if she says she's too big tell her something like "that's silly; you're not too big, you're perfect".
#5 of 19 Old 05-26-2007, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thank-you everyone. I am sorry that I wasn't clear. She is 30 mos now, the reason I mentioned 24 mos was because that was the last time she was weighed at the docs. It's not that *I* think she is big she has just gained 15 lbs in the last 6 1/2 months since DS was born when she only weighed 20 lbs at 24 mos. I think that they belive they have to get her to stop nursing because I am setting her up to have weight problems by doing it. Believe me I do want to keep her away from my IL's for more than one reason however that is the only time she gets to see her cousins who she loves to play with. ( Me and SIL don't get along well) It is also hard because we live just down the street and DH has a very close family. ( weekly family dinner) All I can do is supervise and buffer as they don't think thier comment are harmful. They see it as just joking or not being serious. You would think that they would understand how hurtfull comments like that can be as they are not small people.I have tried reassuring my DD that she is not too big to nurse, but she is down to once a day now. If I thought this was natural I might not be as bothered however it has not been a slow progression she just stopped.
I made an appt to take her to the doctors next week.
Thanks
Krista

#6 of 19 Old 05-26-2007, 08:04 PM

It must be an amazing thing to watch- she went from a little peanut to a big toddler so fast! It sounds like a heckofa big growth spurt to me- has she grown in height as well as weight?

I'll be interested to hear what your doctor has to say.
#7 of 19 Old 05-26-2007, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

That is another reason that I am a little concerned is that she has not gone up in height that much. She want from so dainty that I couldn't get pants to stay up around her waist when she stopped wearing diapers ( 18 month pants at 2 years) to buying her size 5 girls shorts so they won't cut her in two. I am so mad! I figured out today DH has been encouraging her to wean behind my back. I expressed milk into a sippy for her today and he actually asked me why I wasn't giving her cows milk as he thinks the BM is making her over weight! God I am so fruterated right now I could scream! I guess I really know now where the "I am a big girl not a baby" thing is coming from!: : I know his heart is in the right place and he is trying to do what he thinks is best for her but we are not on the same page.:
I will be happy to get her into the doctors next week and figure ou tif there is a real concern.
Thanks
Krista

#8 of 19 Old 05-27-2007, 01:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Take a very good look at this journal article:

Fat and Energy Contents of Expressed Human Breast Milk in Prolonged Lactation

From the abstract:

Quote:
Conclusions. Human milk expressed by mothers who have been lactating for >1 year has significantly increased fat and energy contents, compared with milk expressed by women who have been lactating for shorter periods. During prolonged lactation, the fat energy contribution of breast milk to the infant diet might be significant.
Some factors to consider:

What was her weight gain during your pregnancy? She may have been a peanut in large part because of low supply of breastmilk during pregnancy, and if you hand't had the second baby she'd have gained weight sooner, in which case post-baby she was making up for lost time.

Also, it's likely your body resets it's milk production to make it most suitable for the newborn, in which case it's actually LOWER in fat than it would be if you hadn't had the baby.

What is your DD eating in the way of solids? I'd look at the rest of her diet and not blame breastmilk. Your DH needs some education and your in-laws need to shut their mouths about DD's weight. It's emotional abuse.

Your DD is currently at the 95th percentile for weight according to the 2000 CDC chart.

20 lbs. at 24 mo. was below the 5th percentile.

Go back and check what her percentile was before you got pregnant. Did her curve flatten out during your pregnancy? If so, I'd say she was just catching up from being underweight.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#9 of 19 Old 05-27-2007, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Well thank-you. That really helps mefor when I go to the doctors. I checked her weights all along before I got pregnant. She was born in the 25th percentile and gained never lost any weight. Dropped to 10th around 3 mos. 5th or so @6 mos and pretty much stayed there until now. I was concerned before that she was on the tiny side. I always nursed her on demand and never had any low supply issues My doctor said it is simply genetic. I am fairly tiny 5ft normally 97 lbs so he said she was taking after me. As for solid diet she has always been a sparse eater with most things. Especially after my milk came back in . She would nurse like crazy and not eat much food. We don't eat much junk and don't eat out often.(Once every 6 mos or so) I am a SAHM and cook the majority of our meals from scratch including muffins and such. With nursing so much she never drank more than an ounce or two of anything else on a given day. The only things she eats any real ammout of is eggs and pasta.
Thanks everyone for the support and suggestions. I will post an update when we get back from the doctors next week.
Krista

#10 of 19 Old 05-27-2007, 11:35 AM

Cow's milk is made for calves, who gain a lot more weight a lot faster than human babies on human milk!
My oldest son was almost 3 when I had his little brother, and he did gain weight pretty fast (maybe 5 lbs?) but he has slimmed out again now, and is still nursing at 4.5.
I have seen studies that say the longer you breastfeed, the lower your child's risk of childhood obesity.
#11 of 19 Old 05-27-2007, 12:16 PM

This is NOT an uncommong occurance.

I am going ahead and bumping three threads that have had the same concerns in the past (and those are just ones that were simple to find!). I'm hoping some of the people involved will update.

#12 of 19 Old 05-27-2007, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thank-you very much TiredX2. I appreciated you bumping those threads for me.
Krista

#13 of 19 Old 05-27-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisw View Post
My advice is to keep her away from the ILs if they can't stop making inappropriate comments, tell her that she's NOT too heavy and she is beautiful, and that she is not too old to nurse.
It is extremely normal for an older nursling to gain5-10+ pounds after a nb is here. Usually things even out within the first year(or soon after)and their weight stabilizes and evens out. Too. I have tandemed three times now, and it has happened to all of my older kiddos. I have one child who had EXTREME weight gain(30 ounds in about 8 months0, but I really believe there are other issues here that were triggered by his siblings birth. My other two tandemers gained and then steadied for a while til they grew into it.

I agreee, hubby and il's need to lay off. I hope you have a very supportive of breastfeeding, and tandeming doc though, otherwise I would just not take her in. Weight gain on an older tandemer is normal, and you don't need a doc making you feel guilty too.

Hugs to you mama. Lots of us have been here.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#14 of 19 Old 05-27-2007, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thank-you. I do have a very good doctor,he has been very supportive of me tandem nursing co-sleeping and even though he recomended I vaccinate he said he would not do it unless I was completely comfortable and had all the info I neede to make my informed decision. I will post an update whn we get back on Wed.
Thanks
Krista

#15 of 19 Old 06-01-2007, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Well we went to the doctor. He was very good about it. He actually encouraged me to continue nursing her on demand and just watch the other food she is eating. He did her weight and height. She was 2'11 and 35 lbs. He said to bring her back in a month and if she is still gaining alot then we will do tests. Thanks for the advice
Krista

#16 of 19 Old 06-01-2007, 10:47 PM

Very cool doc!! I don't think 35# is HUGE or anythng for a 3 yr old...but then I have bigger kiddos anyway. My 2.5 yr old is about 35# LOL

I hope it tapers off a lot now mama.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#17 of 19 Old 06-01-2007, 11:01 PM

I have a friend who has a 43 pound two year old. He literally JUST turned 2 in mid-May. She nurses on demand.

I would not worry.
#18 of 19 Old 06-03-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2two babes View Post
That is another reason that I am a little concerned is that she has not gone up in height that much. She want from so dainty that I couldn't get pants to stay up around her waist when she stopped wearing diapers ( 18 month pants at 2 years) to buying her size 5 girls shorts so they won't cut her in two. I am so mad! I figured out today DH has been encouraging her to wean behind my back. I expressed milk into a sippy for her today and he actually asked me why I wasn't giving her cows milk as he thinks the BM is making her over weight! God I am so fruterated right now I could scream! I guess I really know now where the "I am a big girl not a baby" thing is coming from!: : I know his heart is in the right place and he is trying to do what he thinks is best for her but we are not on the same page.:
I will be happy to get her into the doctors next week and figure ou tif there is a real concern.
Thanks
Krista
I am so sorry you are having problems with support. This particular post you made just infuriated me. I don't know how I would deal with this... but I know I would be saying something in the regards of: You would prefer our child drinks cow's breastmilk to MY breastmilk that was MADE for her? Ugh. I am so sorry, mama!!
#19 of 19 Old 06-03-2007, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thank-you. I have been very frustrated in the last while. I have been working on DH and making some head way. He was discussing the benefits of BF with one of his HS friends pregnant wife at a Jack and jill recently. He was just rying to do what he thinks is best. His families comments certainly don't help. With the things they say to me I often wonder what they have over to him. They all ff and had DH in a panic that I was "hurting the baby" because I was nursing while pregnant. MIL even told DH to ask the MW behind my back if it was safe. DH has been very good for the most part. He has gone along and for the most part defended and not commented on everything we do even with preasure from his family. When we decided not to circ MIL said DS was going to get infections and penile cancer.Co-sleeping is dangerous didn't ya know. Parents rolling over and smothering thier babies. Baby wearing they wont learn independance and will be spoiled and expect to be held all of the time. Extended nursing is just strange and apparently I am going to end up with saggy boobs from it !?: Don't even get me started on not vaccinating and HB So my DH has been excellent for the most part. He had a momentary lapse in judgment. My DD is still not nursing as much as she was but she is back up to 4 times in a 24 period insted of 1.
Thanks for the advice and support.
Krista

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page