This made me cry - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 76 Old 06-07-2007, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For contrast, this article made me cry, because weaning is always bittersweet, but it's a very different sort of weaning:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBJanFeb04p4.html
#62 of 76 Old 06-10-2007, 12:46 PM

The story in the op seems to have very little respect for the child's thoughts and wishes. I have a child who will be 3 next month and he still seems so young. I'm so glad i'm commited to CLW.

Misty, mama to my nurslings William(11/4/02) and Parker(7/13/04).
#63 of 76 Old 06-10-2007, 07:04 PM

OMG, reading that turned my stomach, and I don't know that anything I've EVER read has done that

Ewwwww, I just feel awful. Maybe I'll go offer my 3+ year old some nuh-nuh. I'd have nursed her little one. How in the world could she refuse those cries?!?!?

Amy & DH, homeschooling Mama to
DD 9 love.gif DS 7 yrs   
#64 of 76 Old 06-10-2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliesMomma View Post
yeah, it seems like the author would have not stopped nursing, if not for the husband's insistence. i don't like that the man was telling her what to do, and she was obeying him, against what both she and the daughter wanted. quoting from the article, post-weaning:
<i>I had nothing to offer her that was mine and mine alone to give. </i>
the breastmilk/the nursing is between the mother and the child. why on earth is the man's opinion prevailing?
My husband tries to physically KEEP me and DS from breastfeeding. I HATE it. He's a bully. He'd LOVE it if I left my nursing two year old to go on a trip. Ain't.Gonna.Happen.
#65 of 76 Old 06-10-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_goldman View Post
My husband tries to physically KEEP me and DS from breastfeeding. I HATE it. He's a bully. He'd LOVE it if I left my nursing two year old to go on a trip. Ain't.Gonna.Happen.
I'm so sorry.

I've had a lot of pressure from my daughter's father too. It really sucks.
#66 of 76 Old 06-10-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith&Alexander View Post
For contrast, this article made me cry, because weaning is always bittersweet, but it's a very different sort of weaning:

That was BEAUTIFUL! Thanks.
#67 of 76 Old 06-10-2007, 08:29 PM

I can not imagine! I hadn't even thought of the very last time with DD, let alone doing it knowingly... God, I cried when I realized I would never again change my DD's little diaper. It all goes by so fast, why rush anything?!?! And that Dad - what an agenda! Blech!
#68 of 76 Old 06-14-2007, 09:23 PM

I've been bawling my eyes out now for about ten minutes having read the story in the OP. My 26 month nursling dd will never know that-I cannot imagine how rejected the little girl felt. She's sleeping right now but I aching to go and hold her.
#69 of 76 Old 06-18-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:

That was beautiful. Thank you.

The contrast between the implicit knowledge the little girl from the first article has gained about the world and that the little boy from the second article has gained is great. Such implicit knowledge is something you carry with you forever, though you can't put your finger on it. Your reality, the universe as you know it, comes into being based on implicit knowledge gained from experiences like these.

People drink milk that came out of a cow's udder their entire adult lives, but they think it's crazy to breastfeed into toddler and childhood.
#70 of 76 Old 06-18-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:

That was a beautiful article. It is much the way my older ds weaned himself at 2+. I hope it is the same way with my ds2 who is now 14 months. I plan to bf him until he quits on his own
#71 of 76 Old 06-24-2007, 12:33 AM

NOOOO! Ella! This is so sad... why did this have to happen? I feel so sorry for them both. Why did they have to end something they both loved so dearly???!? Why does this happen?
#72 of 76 Old 06-24-2007, 12:55 AM

What a terrible story! How dare that man come between a mother and her baby!

My ex-husband who has not been much of a part of our children's lives for over two years thinks he has a say in when I choose to wean our youngest son. He left us for another woman when my youngest was less than a year old and now he thinks he can tell me when to wean? After reading the essay linked in the first post, I will dig my heels in deeper.

Why do men think that they should have say in this? Breastfeeding a child is a natural phenomenon.... grrrrr.... articles like this and dealing with my ex make me so mad!!!
#73 of 76 Old 06-24-2007, 01:44 AM

Oh wow. That's really really sad. I can't even imagine. I guess the worst part is just that she doesn't talk to her dd about it at all.
Even if I were to wean now (which I'm not) I think that my 17 month old would understand a lot more if I talked to her about it.
It just seems like a blatant disregard of her daughter's feelings, I guess I almost felt like she was undermining her daughter as person, with no feelings. The way she went about it really saddens.

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#74 of 76 Old 06-24-2007, 02:08 PM

Yuck! cold turkey like that and so young ewwww

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#75 of 76 Old 08-05-2007, 02:41 AM

My husband is not supportive in the matter as well. But I told him that if he makes me choose between him and my son, he won't win. And I mean it.
#76 of 76 Old 08-05-2007, 09:22 AM

God, that is sooooo sad! I mean, I weaned my dd rather abruptly, too, but she was 3.5 yrs and I had to. When I read this story, I thought back to our quick weaning process and sadly, I can't even remember the last time she latched on! : I guess I was just too upset about my dad.
But weaning like that without even talking to her child about it beforehand? Just out of the blue? And then sticking to it even though the mother obviously would not have minded and the child so obviously did not want to wean? That's just . . . too sad.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page