What are the signs that a child is self-weaning? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-19-2007, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son has slowly cut down on his nursing over the months. He's got to where he nurses before and after naptime and bedtime and when he's hurt or sick, but he doesn't do it 'religiously.' Somedays he nurses once, and somedays a few times. Sometimes he nurses at bedtime, and sometimes he doesn't. Over the last two weeks we've been on vacation. He nursed maybe a handfull of times. I could probably name the times off to you! Instead of falling asleep nursing, he fell asleep cuddling with me and only nursed before bed once or twice. He's still not asking for it often, and when he does, I've been offering him an alternative like a sippi cup or a cuddle and then nursing if he -really- wants it. He's just not interested in it as much anymore, and to be honest, I'd love a break from it before the new baby comes. : Can someone tell me how to tell if he's self-weaning? I don't want to pressure him or wean him prematurely, but I also don't want to miss his signals. He usually does things early; he's extremely independant (hah, take that people who say I'm making him too dependant by being AP!). I don't want to hold him back if he's ready!

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 06-19-2007, 07:31 PM

I am thinking that maybe this is not weaning, maybe the start weaning is a long process. He could be slowing down because maybe your supply has gone down since you are preggo or simply he is just to busy playing.

If you are child-led weaning normally a child will not wean before 24 months of age, not that it does not happen. When weaning proceeds at a child's pace, most often it is very gradual, and sometimes the decrease in nursing is hardly noticeable. I know with my son who will be 5 in August it has been a roller coaster with how much he nurses over the years. Sometimes it slows down then he starts up again. I would say just keep offering or when he asks nurse. It sounds like you are doing a great job mama!

#3 of 7 Old 06-19-2007, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

He cut down for a brief period when he started walking because he was so busy. For a long time he hasn't wanted it except at specific times. He gradually just nursed less and less during the day before going to wanting it at those times. Now at those times he is laying down and going to bed by himself or just wanting to cuddle instead, though ocasionally still asking for it. You may be right about my supp\7y going down. Maybe he just isn't getting much so he'd rather cuddle up to me with a sippi cup. I'm sure my supply will pick up again after the birth; I just wonder if he'll still be wanting boobie then! If it's supply, I can try to increase it. But I also wonder if maybe he'd just rather cuddle now and have a sippi cup, to be close to me but feel seperate and independent. The thought certainly is nice. I have to admit that I really enjoy the snuggling more than the fidgety nursing!

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
#4 of 7 Old 06-19-2007, 07:51 PM

I would say this is not self weaning- if nothing else you're pregnant. I don't call it self weaning unless the child has the option to continue nursing after the new baby arrives and chooses not to.

-Angela
#5 of 7 Old 06-19-2007, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

He does have that option.

#6 of 7 Old 06-19-2007, 08:11 PM

Then just follow his lead and wait and see!

-Angela
#7 of 7 Old 06-20-2007, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfirefaery View Post
He cut down for a brief period when he started walking because he was so busy. For a long time he hasn't wanted it except at specific times. He gradually just nursed less and less during the day before going to wanting it at those times. Now at those times he is laying down and going to bed by himself or just wanting to cuddle instead, though ocasionally still asking for it. You may be right about my supp\7y going down. Maybe he just isn't getting much so he'd rather cuddle up to me with a sippi cup. I'm sure my supply will pick up again after the birth; I just wonder if he'll still be wanting boobie then! If it's supply, I can try to increase it. But I also wonder if maybe he'd just rather cuddle now and have a sippi cup, to be close to me but feel seperate and independent. The thought certainly is nice. I have to admit that I really enjoy the snuggling more than the fidgety nursing!
Oh I know its hard at this age, they are such little busy bodies and busy even when nursing. It will be great if he cont nursing though as it will give something for him and his new sibling to share and something they get to do together.. I think it would be a great start to a life long relationship.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page