The "Eagle Scouts" of Nursing... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 69 Old 06-21-2007, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I was talking with my sister the other day.

You know how the Boy Scouts get little badges for different things they do, and then they sew them onto a vest and can wear them around?

What if there was such a vest for nursing mothers? Of course you'd get some sort of "bar" or something every time a nursling celebrated a birthday; that's only fair. So what are some of your other badges?

I've earned my "Nursed a child who was strapped into his/her carseat while riding on the freeway" badge, my "nursed in the bathtub" badge and, just recently, I finally earned my "really dirty looks and obvious whispering from the people at the table next to us at Red Lobster" badge, when I nursed my 2.5-year-old followed by my 7-month-old.

Come on--brag a little. What are your best badges?
#2 of 69 Old 06-22-2007, 12:01 AM

It's not all about birthdays--
"Milk Donor"
"Nursed another mother's child at the breast"
"Normalized milk-sharing by asking other mothers to nurse my child"
"Tandem nursed two toddlers, one belonging to another family, while pregnant"

Yeah, that last one was interesting...

Do I get a patch for pumping while crossing the Mackinaw Bridge?
How about for recieving communion while nursing in a wrap?
#3 of 69 Old 06-22-2007, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Very impressive. Most women only dream of the "Nursed while taking communion" badge. Kudos.
#4 of 69 Old 06-22-2007, 12:21 AM

'Nursing a toddler while riding an elephant through the jungle' must surely earn me a badge!

Amy & DH, homeschooling Mama to
DD 9 love.gif DS 7 yrs   
#5 of 69 Old 06-22-2007, 12:47 AM

oh, that's a good one.

do i get one for most toilet hardware stuck in my back nursing in public toilets, with babe number one? :

i want the mastitis badge and the engorgement badge, the tandem badge and the months of bloody nipples badge, and the harassed by mcdonald's manager (in walmart! a double!) badge, the discouraging, revolted mil badge, the 'what c-section problems?!' badge, and most of all, the squirting-the-nurse's-paperwork-from-two ft-with-colostrum-for-insisting-baby3-get-sugar-water-for-low-blood-sugar-because-'i couldn't possibly have enough to make a difference'-while- my-dh-couldn't-find-the-lactation-consultant' badge.

it's no elephant, but i was as proud of that one as my first awkward terrified nip .
#6 of 69 Old 06-22-2007, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTail View Post
and most of all, the squirting-the-nurse's-paperwork-from-two ft-with-colostrum-for-insisting-baby3-get-sugar-water-for-low-blood-sugar-because-'i couldn't possibly have enough to make a difference'-while- my-dh-couldn't-find-the-lactation-consultant' badge.
Ooooh, you definitely deserve a badge for that one!

DD 9 love.gif DS 7 yrs   
#7 of 69 Old 06-22-2007, 12:57 AM

it did shut her up . in a good way; she looked surprised that it could be done. (and his blood sugar shot right up after i nursed him; duh.)

wow, is there a world of difference (if you do go the hospital route) between a meek primapara in her early twenties with a non-supportive spouse, and a cranky old bat pushing forty refusing to take any crap. ladies, friendly but firm . 'no' is a complete sentence.
#8 of 69 Old 06-22-2007, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTail View Post
wow, is there a world of difference (if you do go the hospital route) between a meek primapara in her early twenties with a non-supportive spouse, and a cranky old bat pushing forty refusing to take any crap. ladies, friendly but firm . 'no' is a complete sentence.
I think I hit the "cranky old bat" stage, at least wrt officious and self-important medical personnel, sometime around my 25th birthday.
#9 of 69 Old 06-22-2007, 10:36 AM

yeah, i was a late bloomer. i should've clarified; THIS primapara.
#10 of 69 Old 06-22-2007, 01:31 PM

I'll take one of the "refusing formula for my newborn against the stern advice of the nurses because you're obviously not making enough to feed your one-day-old baby, otherwise he wouldn't be mildly jaundiced"

I'll take the "nursing in Starbucks while the college kids gawk and giggle";

I'll take the "nursing my 16 mo. at my auntie's house with the family practically shrieking in horror";

Oh yeah, I also get the "nursing on the highway with baby strapped into car seat" that was fun!

While none of these are extraordinarily courageous, for me personally they were huge (esp. the nurses in the hospital) - you know what I mean? Before I had my son I wasn't the kind of person to stand up for myself, and this strength has been one of the many great gifts of motherhood.
#11 of 69 Old 06-22-2007, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaDoll View Post
'Nursing a toddler while riding an elephant through the jungle' must surely earn me a badge!
You know, I've been trying to work towards my "Toddler-Jungle-Elephant" badge, but it's so hard to find a willing elephant (let along a good jungle) around here.
#12 of 69 Old 06-22-2007, 02:11 PM

I've earned them all but not the "riding elephant" badge. Does Dumbo count?
#13 of 69 Old 06-22-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momuveight2B View Post
I've earned them all but not the "riding elephant" badge. Does Dumbo count?
Dumbo should surely count!

I love the "while strapped into the carseat" one - it takes skill and flexibility to earn that one!

DD 9 love.gif DS 7 yrs   
#14 of 69 Old 06-22-2007, 08:53 PM

I haven't done this, but any mother who's breastfed a NICU baby deserves a huge badge of honor.

Expecting a boy? Be sure to check out MDC's Case Against Circumcision!
#15 of 69 Old 06-22-2007, 08:59 PM

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! this is a great thread!

Nursing while mini-golfing badge (and winning )
#16 of 69 Old 06-22-2007, 10:39 PM

OOoooh, can I have one for nursing while sitting on Santa's lap for the family christmas photo??? Much to the horror of all the extended family watching!

And I want one for nursing the 2yo to sleep on a row of airport seats while kneeling next to her in the Atlanta terminal.

And a badge for me and the kind German man who sat next to me as I nursed the baby on the plane. He made it a point to tell me not to worry about the babe kicking him, this was very normal in his country. What a relief!
#17 of 69 Old 06-22-2007, 10:44 PM

Nursing on the totally-unsupportive-IL's couch must surely earn me a badge! Especially since she's now 9 months - "Surely," they said when baby was about a month old, "she'll be done with *that* by 6 weeks, right? RIGHT?"

Oh, and also, I earn the nursing while being punched, pinched, shoved and kicked and having my hair pulled all-at-once badge.
#18 of 69 Old 06-22-2007, 11:13 PM

And to Prenna's Mom:
The "I-have-enthusiastically-illustrated-through-pantomime-and-'hands-on'-demonstration-a-variety-of-techniques-to-get-a-GREAT-latch-with-new-moms-I-might-not-know-*THAT*-well" badge ("Like thiiiisss, flat like a sandwich!)...

The "Peer-pressuring-one's-frineds-and-family-into-not-only-accepting-CLW-but-deciding-to-practice-CLW-with-their-dc's" badge...

The "Laughter-is-the-best-medicine/defense-against-doubting-Thomas-and-all-his-co-horts" badge...
#19 of 69 Old 06-23-2007, 12:14 AM

Note, since I never mastered nursing with a sling, most of the Nursing sessions below occurred while I was holding the baby (or toddler) often with only one arm.

--Nursing while making a homemade pizza, including stretching the dough.
--Nursing while going to the bathroom.
--Nursing DD2 while changing DD1's diaper and getting her into her pajamas (on two separate occasions; I have to say the first time was more successful)
--Nursing while loading the dishwasher, washing machine and dryer
--Nursing while folding and hanging laundry.
--Nursing DC in a moving car while she was in a car seat.
--Tandem Nursing DD1 and DD2 to sleep downstairs and then carrying both of them upstairs with DD2 still latched on.
--Nursing smack dab in the middle of an open field at an apple orchard with absolutely nothing to back up against to control my exposure.
--Nursing 4 month old DD1 while shopping for my sister's Christmas present at Victoria's Secret, and discovering she was becoming distractable when she "popped off".
--Nursing a 6 week old, while walking 1 mile, in the shopping district, during lunch hour rush.

~Cath
#20 of 69 Old 06-23-2007, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

I got a new one yesterday, although I'm not sure who deserves the badge--me or my son?

We had just gotten out of the bath, and I was helping him get his underwear and shorts on (but hadn't gotten dressed yet). I was standing behind him, leaning over him with his underwear (you know where this is going, don't you?) when he looked up and latched onto the breast that was dangling over his head like a plump birthday pinata.

And this reminds me of another one: I was sitting at the computer (logging in to the computer almost stimulates a Pavlovian-style let-down these days) and my son came in and wanted to nurse (I was nursing the baby). So I lifted my shirt and opened my bra so he could have "other side." I was just thinking how this computer chair was just the right height for him to stand next to me and nurse as did this happy little dance in his socks while nursing. Then he slipped (hardwood floors+socks=trouble) and caught himself on what? My nipple.

So, on behalf of my little Sam, I will gladly accept the "Birthday Pinata Badge," but I'm keeping the "Breast Belay Badge" all for myself.
#21 of 69 Old 06-23-2007, 11:24 PM

I don't even have a full year under my belt yet, but I think I get some badges lol

the carseat one, totally. Also nursing while buckling her INTO the carseat....

nursing at a sold out baseball game with total strangers next to me.

nursing while feeding chickens at a farm

nursing while playing a dart game at the fair

nursing sitting on a small pumpkin (pumpkin patch......no where else to sit....)

nursing leaning over the shopping cart with her sitting in the front

nursing while hiking in Muir Woods

perhaps soon I might get the nursing another baby badge, my friend is trying to relactate and I offered to help her try to teach her DD to latch :

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)
#22 of 69 Old 06-24-2007, 05:03 AM

plump birthday pinata.

and caught himself on what? My nipple.
: owwww

soooo funny great thread maybe we could sew the badges onto wraps? or somthing
#23 of 69 Old 06-24-2007, 06:00 PM

These are great ...
My badge:
Nursing my almost 3-year-old sitting on the sidewalk in a neck collar while having blood drawn and vitals checked by 3 hunky EMTs after I passed out from falling over a flower bed and came to while overhearing my mother tell my soon-to-be new neighbors that I do this when I have my period. Welcome to the neighborhood

So I guess I get the 911 Badge. DS was hysterical and I knew nursing would let him know it was all okay.
#24 of 69 Old 06-28-2007, 10:22 PM

Oh no! I hope this thread isn't killed. :
#25 of 69 Old 06-29-2007, 10:31 PM

Oh yay!!! It's so awesome to be able to pat yourself on the back once in a while instead of loading up on the mom guilt! My babe is only 4 months old but I'll keep earning badges I'm sure!

I get the Battling Thrush 4 month Badge, for nursing even when it hurt so bad I was crying!

The cruel MIL Badge, for not giving up even when she dropped off formula "just in case" and hoped I would have a hard time nursing because it's "dirty and low born" :

The NIP while my mother is desperately trying to cover me up EVERY time we go out Badge

The Explorative Toddler Badge, for when my 2 1/2 yr old nephew that was weaned very early came over to me while I was nursing my babe and explored my free breast and asked for a taste. To his mother's shock I said yes, and he popped off a couple seconds later and said "Now I know why Brady likes them so much!"

The eye contact Badge, for making eye contact and giving my biggest goofiest grin to every head shakin' glare makin' person I encounter while NIP.

That's all I can think of right now. This is so fun!

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#26 of 69 Old 06-29-2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
And this reminds me of another one: I was sitting at the computer (logging in to the computer almost stimulates a Pavlovian-style let-down these days) and my son came in and wanted to nurse (I was nursing the baby). So I lifted my shirt and opened my bra so he could have "other side." I was just thinking how this computer chair was just the right height for him to stand next to me and nurse as did this happy little dance in his socks while nursing. Then he slipped (hardwood floors+socks=trouble) and caught himself on what? My nipple.
I'm not nursing any kiddoes right now, but I have to tell you, I laughed so hard at this, I'm crying.

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#27 of 69 Old 06-30-2007, 10:50 AM

I get to add another one!

Nursing at teh top of the STL Arch!
#28 of 69 Old 06-30-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post

The Explorative Toddler Badge, for when my 2 1/2 yr old nephew that was weaned very early came over to me while I was nursing my babe and explored my free breast and asked for a taste. To his mother's shock I said yes, and he popped off a couple seconds later and said "Now I know why Brady likes them so much!"
Oh I LOVE that!

DD 9 love.gif DS 7 yrs   
#29 of 69 Old 07-01-2007, 11:22 PM

Hmmmm...

-Nursing while showering
-Nursing while bathing
-Nursing while singing on the praise team at church
-Nursing while leading a praise team rehearsal
-Nursing (in a sling) while walking up front to take communion at a special service our church did (normally the communion is brought to us)
-Nursing in....... (name that store, Costco, Target, Whole Foods, Wild Oats, and Every restaurant we ate at till dd was over 3)

-nursing during take off and landing (and often most of the flight) 1-2 round trip flights a year since she was born.

-Nursing all night long for as long as I can remember
-Nursing at the local park
-Nursing in a public pool
-Nursing in front of any and all family members no matter what they thought and actually I think I've changed my fathers opinion somewhat. (He is supportive just doesn't want to see it)
-Now Nursing while pg.

We'll see if I earn the tandem nursing award. That one is up to DD.

-Oh nursing my standing toddler while in a friends hospital room while she was in labor.

-Nursing while cooking more foods than I can count. (but chocolate chip cookies is a favorite memory.)

Thats all the comes to me right now. We have stopped nip at this point mainly because I needed to be able to say no sometimes and that gave a good clear "rule" and I was beginning to get nervous that one of her friends would say something to her and turn what is beautiful into something else. We do still nurse at LLL meetings but other than that keep it at home when there is no company over.

How could I forget!

-Not even considering weaning when it became apparent that my dd has multiple food allergies after the age of 2 which necessitate my completely changing my diet while we figured it all out.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#30 of 69 Old 07-01-2007, 11:28 PM

Oh, I sooo have a good one. I am the freaking eagle scout of nursing.

On Friday I nursed my daughter while getting cervical and uterine curattage wth no anesthetic (had to drive home...).

Now that ought to be one HECK of a badge.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page