breast milk addicted toddler with latch problems - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-24-2007, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am nursing a 2 year old who is fairly obsessed with milk. I also have very large breasts with minimal sensation, almost none except on the nipple per se and limited sensation on it. It makes it difficult for me to detect issues at the early stages. She has recently started doing SOMETHING while nursing that is causing me a fair amount of nipple pain. (She also only nurses on the left side.) I'm not sure if it is a bad latch, or if she is biting or if she is sort of pulling away with the nipple in her mouth. But it hurts, and I can't figure out what it is so I don't know how to fix it. Any advice? Do lactation consultants help mamas who are nursing toddlers? Everyone IRL I've tried talking with has just been like "wean her," but that isn't really an option. Besides my committment to CLW, she is totally addicted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 06-24-2007, 10:59 PM

is she trying to look around while nursing?
#3 of 6 Old 06-25-2007, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

no
#4 of 6 Old 06-25-2007, 12:50 AM

Make sure (just like when she was a baby) as much of you areola as possible is in her mouth, and watch how she comes off... tell her she has to be gentle with Mommy. I, too, became suddenly more sensitive. Dd, also, only nurses on the left side.

Do you have added sensitivity as you near your period? I do, and I find I have to remind her to be gentle mostly around that time.
#5 of 6 Old 06-25-2007, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

I've been checking on her opening wide, etc. I think that perhaps she is initially latching on okay but then changing as she nurses or something. It's aggravating, .

I don't think it's added sensitivity with my period, but I didn't get it back until 23 months and it's not really regular and kinda odd now. Like 2 hours of mild spotting... Very weird.
#6 of 6 Old 06-25-2007, 09:46 AM

My 20 month old DS is an acrobatic nursling, and recently it seems he is nursing round the clock again after being nightweaned. I have just started experiencing pain in the last month or so, which contributed to our decision to try nightweaning. Its not just before/during my period (which started at 11 1/2 months).

First, s
We are at a similar stage, I think. I do not have a great deal of support IRL for still BFing either. We are trying to establish better nursing manners. Our nursing relationship has been virtually challenge-free so far, now I am experiencing pain and sensitivity. DS's thing that is causing me pain and even scabbing is that he uses his hands to pinch and squeeze around the areola. I tell him 'no pinching' and remove his hands, I also ask him to 'be gentle' and will end a nursing session if he keeps pulling and pinching. Pulling on and off or 'swivel-neck nursing' will also end a nursing session.

Jenny, earth.gif flowersforyou.gif   treehugger.gif gd.gif coolshine.giffamilybed2.gifdust.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page