Mamas of a certain age ... mammograms while nursing? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 07-18-2007, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 43rd birthday is next month, and I still have the mammogram lab order written by the doctor when I went last year. She said, "just have it done when you stop nursing him." Well, here we are, and my almost-3-year-old still loves to nurse. I have been nursing nonstop since March 2000, so I never had a "baseline" mammogram, either, when I was in my mid-30s.

I just wondered if anyone out there is in my situation or has had a mammogram while nursing an older child. I'm reassuring myself that because my breasts are being used for their intended purpose, they're too busy making milk than growing bad cells. I'd probably get scolded by the MD for that. I also handle them more than a non-lactating woman my age, KWIM? So I think I'd notice a lump quicker ...
#2 of 17 Old 07-18-2007, 10:12 PM

I'll be 42 this month and DD1 will be 3 at the end of August. My OB asked the mammogram expert and was told a mammogram done while nursing or pregnant won't produce a meaningful baseline, due to the thickness of the breasts.

DD2 just turned 1. I hope to nurse her for at least another year, possibly 2.

I might not be able to have one done until I'm 43 or 44.

~Cath
#3 of 17 Old 07-18-2007, 10:22 PM

I'm mid 40s and haven't had a mammagram because I've been nursing for the past 8 1/2 years. I figure it can wait. I found a lump once and they did a sonogram, which is safer.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#4 of 17 Old 07-18-2007, 10:33 PM

I will be 38 in November this year and have never had a mammogram. I have small breasts and like pp mine are handled a lot during nursing etc, which I have been doing for almost 3 1/2 years (except for a short while during pregnancy).

My father sent me this link. Thought some of you here might be interested...according to Moss, seems there may be good reason to avoid mammography...

http://www.cancerdecisions.com
"Our report, "Mammography, Biopsy and the Detection of Breast Cancer" looks in depth at the largely unpublicized shortcomings of screening mammography and also discusses needle biopsies, with an explanation of the possible link between this type of breast biopsy and the spread of cancer to nearby lymph nodes."
#5 of 17 Old 07-18-2007, 10:38 PM

::
44 here and still nursing....
Still have Rx for a mammogram sitting in my home medical files

Kristina; wife to Max, Mom to Tristan (17) and Zackariah (7) and Lillian (5)
#6 of 17 Old 07-18-2007, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerlowyn View Post
::
44 here and still nursing....
Still have Rx for a mammogram sitting in my home medical files
Ha! I hear you. Thank you, ladies ... I don't feel so alone now. I was the only one in my office who hasn't been through "the big squeeze." And my goodness, that link from OTmama puts it in a new perspective.

MamaMonica, I trust that the lump was nothing to worry about ... the sonogram does sound like a safer route. Hope I never stumble across a lump, though.

I had a hunch putting this in CLW as opposed to the general health forum would be beneficial. Again, thank you!
#7 of 17 Old 07-19-2007, 01:35 AM

Susan, the lump was nothing to worry about, thanks for asking! It was worrisome to find it but it was just a cyst, which is very common.

CLWers never know when we'll get around to the mammogram!

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#8 of 17 Old 07-19-2007, 11:06 AM

I will be 43 in August. I have never had a mammogram and the docs won't even do a breast exam while I am pregnant/nursing. I am 35 weeks pregnant now so it will be another four-five years before I am done nursing.

I do check my breasts and other than that I don't know what else to do.
#9 of 17 Old 07-25-2007, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Won't even do an exam? That's irresponsible. The CNMs I've seen over the years have done breast exams every year, whether I've been nursing or not.

I had no problem with having a mammogram when DD was 5, but she didn't nurse very frequently by then. Not that it was fun or anything, but it wasn't a big deal.

"What will you do once you know?"
#10 of 17 Old 07-25-2007, 09:27 PM

I am 38 with 5+ instances of maternal breast cancer, and my OB told me a mammogram while nursing is useless. I've been nursing for the last 4 years, and I suspect I'll probably be nursing for about 4 more, so no mammo for me anytime soon.

Kirsten - wife to Mark and co-sleeping, breastfeeding mother to , :, and
Photography, including Breastfeeding Photography, in my Homepage.
#11 of 17 Old 07-26-2007, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think how much you're still nursing the child matters. When they're down to skipping days, I doubt that a mammogram would be useless. I did tell them that they had to have someone with experience at reading mammograms of lactating women read mine. I assume, whether I should or not, that they did so.

"What will you do once you know?"
#12 of 17 Old 07-27-2007, 09:23 AM

I say skip it, unless you have a specific thing you're concerned about. I'm only 26 but I had to have an ultrasound guided needle biopsy when pregnant, and then a mammogram a month after my son was born. Both were torture. And both now appear to have been pointless. Of course everyone's situation is different, but the whole ordeal was awful and painful. If you're just looking at a "well" visit, I don't really see any point of having one. (Also nodding with other posts about the health of your breasts due to nursing)
#13 of 17 Old 07-27-2007, 04:15 PM

Yes - I had one last year. I have a family history of breast cancer and I am well past the point where I should be getting screenings every 6-12 mos. The place I went was a total pain and I will most likely not be going back there again so I am searching for a place that doesn't see me as a complete nut for nursing a 1 yo (which I had at the time and I'll probably wait until the current one is closer to 1 - not the ideal timing, but the best I can do right now).
#14 of 17 Old 07-28-2007, 07:27 AM

Just popping in to say that I just say no to Mammograms period. I hate them, I will only ever get one *if* I find a lump and not until I get a sonogram and an MRI *first*. To me they, along with repeated biopsying over things that may turn out to be nothing *do* increase your cancer risk by themselves. In my mind, nursing does more to prevent cancer than a mammogram ever could. <3
#15 of 17 Old 07-28-2007, 10:09 AM

I don't do mammograms either. For me, in my situation, the risks don't outweigh the benefits.
#16 of 17 Old 07-28-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMonica View Post
Susan, the lump was nothing to worry about, thanks for asking! It was worrisome to find it but it was just a cyst, which is very common.

CLWers never know when we'll get around to the mammogram!

So true I think about this every so often. I agree that the sonograms are safer too.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#17 of 17 Old 07-28-2007, 11:11 AM

I had one recently bc I had a sore breast and no lump to be found. We did an u/s first, and found nothing. Then, bc of my mom's history of breast cancer, the Dr did my other breast, and DID find a lump there. She was very concerned until I mentioned I am still nursing (And she was happy to hear I was nursing a 2.5 y/o, btw) and then figured it is probably a galactocele, but did mammograms to be safe. It was no big deal, I'm not sure what all the fuss is. The funniest part was that I squirted milk when compressed LOL. We had puddles. She would like me to have a needle biopsy to be safe, and with my mom's history I think I will follow through with that. I will not take the chance of missing something that could save my life, and leave my kids motherless.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page