I posted this in bf beyond infancy and didn't get much response:advice please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-17-2007, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think my 18 month old is self-weaning due to lack of milk
I am 6 months pregnant and I have no milk now, only colostrum, and my son only nurses about 1 or 2 times a day if at all. Should I give him toddler formula until he is 2, or just cow's milk? The toddler formula is no where near like breastmilk, but it is still more nutrition than cows milk, right?

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2007, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'd be inclined to avoid formula of any kind. Nutritionally speaking--if he's not a super picky eater--you could get the calcium and various nutrients that different milks provide through other means, for example, yoghurt, cheese, leafy vegetables (yes, I'm laughing at that; my toddler is not big into leafy vegetables, unless the spinach is hidden in lasagna).

That said, dd drinks cow's milk in addition to nursing.

Mom of two girls.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:08 PM

I would keep nursing if you can and your child is willing.
1-2 times a day is still great if he can keep that up until baby is born you will be set as once baby is born milk will be plentiful and your son will most likely nurse more.
Its said to be a great bonding experience for siblings.
I would not give him any formula.
My son BF and ate and drank water at that age so I am not sure what cows milk/ soy milk etc would be best for your son.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

It wasn't that I want to quit breastfeeding, just that he needs something more right now because there is no milk.

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
Old 08-17-2007, 08:12 PM

My daughter is 14 months old, and I'm about 16 weeks pregnant. My supply has dropped dramatically. She's been drinking soy milk (allergic to cow's milk) and water to stay hydrated, as well as eating a variety of solids. I would say just give him milk of some kind, and healthy solid foods. Are you willing to tandem if he continues to nurse? If so, continue to offer the breast for comfort or at his normal nursing times, and then follow up with milk or whatever.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural_mama89 View Post
It wasn't that I want to quit breastfeeding, just that he needs something more right now because there is no milk.
Hmm, I may be wrong but I dont think so as long as he is eating other things.
Milk or formula is not all that great IMO!
Old 08-17-2007, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by natural_mama89 View Post
He'll be fine, I think, if you can keep him hydrated with water or whatever milk seems best to you. And I do think that his nutritional needs can definitely be met with other foods, if you want to go that route. Dd's never had any problems with cow's milk; that said, I think that yoghurt sometimes has a higher concentration of some nutrients than even milk. He does need the fat that's found in breast milk and other milks, so that's something to keep in mind.

Mom of two girls.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:26 PM

I agree - toddler formula isn't necessary (and probably expensive!) I have no milk right now either (even though DS still nurses frequently), and he rarely drinks cow milk (never has), but I try to give him a wide variety of foods to make up the difference. DS is perfectly healthy!

User Tag List