Can you just tell your DC will be an extended nurser? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-19-2007, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD just LOOOVES to nurse so much that I just have a feeling she'll be nursing for a very long time. Yesterday I got out of the shower and when DD saw me shirtless, she stared at me chest, gave a HUUGE smile, crawled over to me like a maniac and lunged into a latch. Then she looked over and saw my other nipple, grabbed it and tried to get that one in her mouth, too! What a little boob addict. I don't see her being one of the ones who stops on her own anytime remotely soon...
#2 of 17 Old 08-19-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granola_mom View Post
My DD just LOOOVES to nurse so much that I just have a feeling she'll be nursing for a very long time. Yesterday I got out of the shower and when DD saw me shirtless, she stared at me chest, gave a HUUGE smile, crawled over to me like a maniac and lunged into a latch. Then she looked over and saw my other nipple, grabbed it and tried to get that one in her mouth, too! What a little boob addict. I don't see her being one of the ones who stops on her own anytime remotely soon...
Definitely! I can't be braless around DD or she gets a huge grin and starts asking to nurse. Shoot, I take off my shirt and she starts asking for it. Her second birthday is on Thursday and she is showing no signs of slowing though I'm pregnant. It's been pretty steady through the pregnancy, about 2-3 times a day. I'm about 29 weeks at this point and know the only thing she's getting is colostrum. She still calls it milk though! Like someone else in another thread said, I like that my milk is the default. If I try to offer anything else (cow, goat, or soy) she has a fit. My mother in law makes a point of pointing it out to DSS that DD can't come for visits without me because she's still nursing. It's kinda annoying, but she's otherwise supportive. DH is supportive and DSS thinks it's the most normal thing in the world. My parents are supportive too, so I guess we'll see how things go when the baby gets here and my baby girl is no longer the baby.

Anna
#3 of 17 Old 08-19-2007, 05:18 PM

Sounds like you have a happy nursling!
#4 of 17 Old 08-19-2007, 09:21 PM

DS will be three soon and I honestly think he's not going to give up the "milkies" for a very long time. I joke with DH that I will have to go to college with him The other day he broke off, looked at me lovingly, and said "I love milkies, they're yummy"

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#5 of 17 Old 08-20-2007, 08:59 AM

My DD is 17 months and it's as plain as plain she will be nursing for YEARS to come. She's an addict.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#6 of 17 Old 08-20-2007, 12:49 PM

I hear that... dd is the same way. She loves to nurse and loves my boobs. Last night I was topless in the bathroom and she couldn't keep her hands off them I also recently got her a shirt that says "yep...still nursin'" and she loves it and will tell random people "I like to nur my mom's nurs", which gets some pretty funny reactions
#7 of 17 Old 08-20-2007, 02:22 PM

DS is clearly an extended nursling too - I just "knew" even before this pregnancy that DS would continue to nurse throughout. And that has def. been true, even during the past 2 mos when I have not been able to hand-express a single drop. He's just always been a HUGE comfort nurser!
#8 of 17 Old 08-20-2007, 02:36 PM

When my ds1 latched on after birth I looked at him and said "oh you are going to be a good nurser aren't you?" He was a pro from day one and self-weaned about a month after his sixth birthday.
Wendi
#9 of 17 Old 08-24-2007, 10:02 PM

DS has loved them all day and night since minutes after his birth. I've recently slowed him down to twice a day but plan to nurse for as long as he wants, which he tells me, will be sometime before 16. "Before I drive mommy."
#10 of 17 Old 08-26-2007, 01:00 PM

love this thread. If he sees a nipple (ANYONE's nipple) he immedaitely smiles and either pokes it or goes to latch on. He has tried to latch on to DH a few times even
#11 of 17 Old 08-26-2007, 02:27 PM

Our second child I knew. She's less than 2 weeks shy of her 4th birthday and an avid nurser.

Her younger sister? I don't think she'll nurse that long.
#12 of 17 Old 08-26-2007, 06:02 PM

My 17 month old is boob obsessed! He says "I want boobie!" all the time, even if he just nursed. It was his first setence too, ha. He happily hums while he nurses. It's so apparent that he just loves it.
#13 of 17 Old 08-28-2007, 10:36 PM

Yea, I look at the joy on my daughter face when she is nursing, and I cannot picture in my head her NOT doing it! Of course I know she will wean eventually, but it just doesnt feel like it could be anytime soon. And she is only 17 months. It just feels so natural with her. Like, how could be anyone think that it is wrong, or indecent, or whatever else uneducated people say about nursing past whatever arbitrary age. She is just so calm, and content, and peaceful when nursing. (Except when she is trying to nurse AND do somersaults or stand on her head.... )
#14 of 17 Old 08-28-2007, 10:52 PM

I knew it when he was gaining weight before we left the hospital after a 2 day stay....and he's almost 3 and no signs of letting go what so ever....I think it's also a parenting thing...it's all in how you parent as to whether you nurse for extended amout of time...just my 2 cents.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#15 of 17 Old 08-29-2007, 03:18 PM

Oh, yea, totally you can tell. When my son was around 12 months, he was still nursing a LOT more than what I thought he would be. He was also one of those toddlers that lunge at mommy's naked breast. He did that for a loooong time (probably until around 2ish). I tried to wean him twice (at 12 months and at 18 months) and the rebellion that I met was probably worse than the French Revolution!!! LOL

PS, He drinks bovine milk quite a bit as well and still knows exactly when he want's mommy's milk and only mommy's milk.
#16 of 17 Old 08-31-2007, 03:11 PM

Yeah, I've known for quite some time, he's a long term nurser. At 4.5 he still gets that silly grin when he sees me topless - you can just see his mind working.
He loves his Fast Milkies!

-Sara, working Mom to Fletcher (2003) and Magnolia (2008):, wife to Jim the best SAHD in the world (1999) NVC has changed my life
#17 of 17 Old 08-31-2007, 03:13 PM

Mine was like that. She is almost 4 and still going strong...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page