Can we discuss NIP your older nursling? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 10-24-2007, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamaroo View Post
That said, she was melting down at the playground yesterday and clearly said that the only way she'd be able to go back to using her 'regular voice' was if she got some nummo, so we plopped down in the grass and did it up. It only took her about 30 seconds on each side and she was fine. There was no one at the playground, and I made sure my back was to the people sitting in the pavilion across the grass. I don't know how I would have handled it if there had been lots of people around. Probably the same way – I couldn't refuse her when she was so clear and reasonable about what she needed.
I noticed the thread on the front page and thought I'd pop in to see what people were saying.

Thanks so much for sharing this. How beautiful. And I don't mean in the 'breastfeeding is such a special moment' way that has been used in the press lately to justify keeping 'something so special private, at home'. I mean what a beautiful way to parent. You have inspired me.
#32 of 43 Old 10-24-2007, 11:38 AM

DD is 29 months and still nursing voraciously! This is the longest I have ever bf'd. I swear she nurses more now than she did as a newborn. We NIP all the time. I've gotten some weird looks and stares but not that many, really. I was out of state all summer. When I got back, some older friends of ours were over for a visit. DD woke up and wanted to nurse, so I did. They got extremely uncomfortable and wouldn't look at me until we were done. They didn't say anything though. It made me mad and sad too. It probably shocked them that we were "still" doing "that" 3 months later.... I am starting to ask her to wait. The frequent nursing is really starting to wear on me. If I ask her if she's ever going to be done she just smiles and shakes her head!
#33 of 43 Old 10-24-2007, 12:10 PM

We nurse and tandem in public with no qualms, though I have to say I am grateful that my 2.5 year old is usually too distracted when out and about to ask for it as frequently as he does at home. We live in a town with a lot of toddler nurslings too. On a recent trip to the midwest, I have to say I didn't feel so comfortable, but still did it.
#34 of 43 Old 10-24-2007, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Hi, my ds is only 26m, but i nip, and will continue to do so, when it is convenient for us, when its time to nurse/ie he needs it, etc. As for other people, its about time they learned what is best aand natural. I think that by choosing to nip, we are educating them, and we are giving other women permission to do so. if they are uncomfortable, that is their problem to take up with their therapist, not mine. I have my child to take care of, and that takes enough of my energy as it is. If in the future, my nursing invites comments that are offensive to my little one (to me, that is different), then i'll take it up with the person concerned. I certainly wont let ignoramuses bully me into how i parent.

Yes, i agree it is important to be sensitive to others, etc, dont push in, and so on and so forth, but nursing in public does not fall into this category for me. I am a very polite person, and very sensitive to others, but i dont let myself be bullied, nor do i let myself sink to the lowest common denominator in the name of courtesy or sensitivity.

Maya
#35 of 43 Old 10-24-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post
Hi, my ds is only 26m, but i nip, and will continue to do so, when it is convenient for us, when its time to nurse/ie he needs it, etc. As for other people, its about time they learned what is best aand natural. I think that by choosing to nip, we are educating them, and we are giving other women permission to do so. if they are uncomfortable, that is their problem to take up with their therapist, not mine. I have my child to take care of, and that takes enough of my energy as it is. If in the future, my nursing invites comments that are offensive to my little one (to me, that is different), then i'll take it up with the person concerned. I certainly wont let ignoramuses bully me into how i parent.

Yes, i agree it is important to be sensitive to others, etc, dont push in, and so on and so forth, but nursing in public does not fall into this category for me. I am a very polite person, and very sensitive to others, but i dont let myself be bullied, nor do i let myself sink to the lowest common denominator in the name of courtesy or sensitivity.

Maya
Very well put! I especially agree with the sentiment I bolded.
#36 of 43 Old 10-26-2007, 07:31 PM

NIP slowed down for us when Maya was about 3, mainly due to my huge pg belly and the large mat. tops covering it
after Emma was born there was some NIPping but less, and some tandem...
I am an American living in Japan, so no blending in for me. I have never had strange looks or comments either. Just last night someone asked how my breastmilk was doing? (sorrry if that English sounds off, not quite sure how to phrase it... ) and I said fine. Emma is almost 9 months, it is generally assumed you will nurse at least a year here.
Kathryn
#37 of 43 Old 10-26-2007, 07:44 PM

Yeah, if I ever feel odd about nursing in public I always try to remember that I never know when I might be helping someone else feel more comfortable doing it on their own...

--Heather
#38 of 43 Old 10-27-2007, 10:41 PM
DBZ

Wow I hadn't even thought about tandem NIP till just now. My initial reaction to these things is "NO WAY", but that usually means I'll be doing it LOL.

My 2 yo still NIPs occasionally. The last time she asked we were at Applebee's the weekend after the nurse-out and we were sitting by the door. The manager did walk past me, but no one said a word and I am pretty sure that only the waitress noticed. I realized just how big DD is on my lap though.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#39 of 43 Old 10-31-2007, 06:37 PM

I tried not to NIP after the kids were 4-5..If it was needed then I did but most of the time kids can be told to wait. I did nurse my oldest son on the boardwalk in atlantic city when he was around 7. My husband said you couldn't even tell..just looked like he was stradling my lap with his legs and his head in my shirt sleeping.
#40 of 43 Old 10-31-2007, 11:17 PM

I'm so happy to hear about such long term nursing. My daughter is 4 and still nursing with great enthusiasm and fairly frequently, and there are fewer and fewer people who aren't fazed. Thanks!
#41 of 43 Old 11-01-2007, 01:34 AM

nursed my very tall 2.5 year old the other day at a pumkin farm while talking to a grandmother of a fellow homeschooler. I didn't even think about it, I picked my son up a and nursed him as usual and I saw this look on her face that really surprised me. She was horrified!LOL She wanted run away, I'm sure of it. I just pretended not to notice and kept the conversation flowing and she relaxed. Later, I wished I'd said "you know, when you put that bottle in your 9mo grandbaby's mouth, I feel the same way as you do watching me breastfeed my toddler."

Lisa

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#42 of 43 Old 11-01-2007, 03:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My daughter is 4, and I don't really NIP anymore other than at LLL meetings. The last time she wanted me to nurse her in public was at a church potluck while we were seated at a circular table with other families, and I was actually trying to eat. After a certain age I like to set limits based on my comfort and desires, so I told her I would nurse her when we got home.
#43 of 43 Old 11-01-2007, 09:59 AM

My daughter is 3 years old, and I nurse her in public when she needs to.

Now I am 5 months pregnant, and somethimes I know people around me think it is weird nursing such a big girl with my growing belly, but I try to focus on the fact that her need is more important than what other people may think.

Happy mama to DD 04 and 08 April 2011

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page