Talk to me about tadem and nursing through pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 11-03-2007, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello friends!! Nope, I'm not pregnant, but also not trying to prevent it. It took us 1.5 years to conceive our first so we're not wasting anytime with silly birth control... besides, how hard is it to figure out how to do FAM when you're breastfeeding?! Stilly no PP Af.

ANYWAY... I'm just looking forward to the potential future and I hear about people's milk drying up when they get pregnant. Is this true? Always the case? Or what. I would be sad if my DD had to wean super early because of pregnancy. Anybody have kids closely spaced-- what are your thoughts about closely spaced children and breastfeeding.

I would not mind tandem nursing- although as a relatively new momma it is hard to wrap my mind around. I guess the older nursling is much more efficient and can stay out of the newborns way?

What about co-sleeping. Anybody co-sleep AND tandem nurse?

I love being a momma and I would love to have my kids all in a row, I just would love to hear others' experiences with it.
#2 of 18 Old 11-03-2007, 12:39 PM

Hello! I tandem nursed my 2 boys. They are not very closely spaced (2yrs, 9mo), but my oldest was definitely not ready to stop when we conceived!
Unfortunately, I did lose my supply at about 20 weeks, but there are other moms on here who managed to keep at least some throughout. (I wish I had known about this site back then!)
We also had all four of us int he bed for about the first year after ds2 was born. We pushed a twin up to our king to make more room, but otherwise it worked well. Of course, there were those times when ds2 would cry and wake up ds1, etc, but the cuddle time was worth it.
Hope this helps!

Homeschooling mom of 2 rambunctious, loving, spectacular boys, wife to an incredible man who has been my best friend on this journey <3

#3 of 18 Old 11-03-2007, 12:41 PM

With my last pregnancy (m/c a blighted ovum) my milk was GONE by around 9 weeks.

This time around I still seem to have a bit, though I'm sure it's down a lot.

-Angela
#4 of 18 Old 11-03-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsayjean View Post
ANYWAY... I'm just looking forward to the potential future and I hear about people's milk drying up when they get pregnant. Is this true? Always the case? Or what. I would be sad if my DD had to wean super early because of pregnancy. Anybody have kids closely spaced-- what are your thoughts about closely spaced children and breastfeeding.
I was pregnant with #2 when #1 was barely 6 months old. He nursed through the pregnancy fine, my supply was fine, I never had to supplement, although I did introduce a sippy cup and some fattening solids.
So they were 15 months apart. I think it would have been easier if #2 hadn't been so difficult and colicky.

Tandem nursing went very well, never any jealousy or anything. I tandem nursed until I got pregnant with #3, the oldest was done (I actually don't know which happened first, him weaning or me getting pregnant again). #2 nursed until about 16 weeks. I think my supply was pretty much gone due to sever morning sickness. We were on vacation and he only asked to nurse once and then that was it.
#3 was born 30 months after #2 and it was a MUCH easier adjustment, but then again he's always been such an easy baby. But I think that was a great spacing.

There is an herbal tincture called More Milk Two by Motherlove that can help to increase supply safely while pregnant. But most of the time your supple will decrease at least somewhat while pregnant, especially as you near birth. Some women always lose their supply while pregnant, some women sometimes do and sometimes don't. There are no guarantees.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#5 of 18 Old 11-03-2007, 03:30 PM

No, it isn't ALWAYS the case. But it seems to be USUALLY the case. I am 18 weeks & have a nursing 19 month old. Pain free & LOTS of milk, no changes.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#6 of 18 Old 11-03-2007, 06:11 PM

Dd and ds are almost exactly 2 years apart. My milk supply dropped drastically by 16 weeks, but dd kept nursing about 6 times a day. Now she is nursing around 4 times a day and ds is nursing about 8 times in 24 hours. I think my supply is already dropping with this pregnancy (about 6 weeks along).

Adventures in Tandem Nursing by Hilary Flower and www.kellymom.com have great info on nursing through pregnancy.

Do unto children as you would have them do unto you ::
#7 of 18 Old 11-03-2007, 08:48 PM

I got pg when DS just turned 2, and he nursed through the pregnancy and beyond. My supply dropped during the first trimester, but it did not slow him down. It is totally worth it!

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#8 of 18 Old 11-03-2007, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My kids aren't closely spaced but I got pregnant with # 3 when # 2 was 2.5 years old and still nursing at least 15 times a day and through the night. My milk dried up when I was only 8 weeks pregnant but she kept nursing anyways. The last trimester was hell, I won't lie. The sensation of nursing made my skin crawl, it literally made me want to be sick. I never thought I could feel that way but I did. I nursed through it though. I cut my 3 year old down a lot (We do child-led weaning but I had to cut her down for my own sanity) and now the two nurslings are almost 5 (next week!) years old - she nurses 1 time a day at bedtime - and 21 months old - she nurses ALL the time.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#9 of 18 Old 11-04-2007, 05:19 AM

I'm 8 weeks and nursing a 2 year old. My milk has gone way down, but as of a few days ago, with a lot of work I was able to express some, so I know it's still there. Whether it dries up or not, I don't see my dd stopping. It's not just about the milk at this point, it's also about the bond and the comfort, ykwim? So I see us nursing throughout this pregnancy and tandeming once the baby comes.

As far as cosleeping and tandeming, I *hope* that my dd will night wean herself before the baby comes. She is showing signs of doing so, and I hope those continue. What we plan to do once the baby comes is get my dd to sleep on her bed, which is pushed up against ours in an "L" shape and then have the new baby in our bed with us. That way, we are all still cosleeping but we're not all jam packed in the bigger bed. I'm trying to get my dd to sleep in that bed now, and she will go down, but once she wakes up to nurse in the night she crawls over to me or I end up crawling over to her and falling asleep in her bed with her.

Doula mama to artistic DD and monster DS. #3 on the way!
HAVE YOU HEARD OF SQUAT ANARCHIST BIRTH JOURNAL YET?? IF NOT, GOOGLE IT!
#10 of 18 Old 11-04-2007, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies mamas! I love being a mama so much I can't wait to have more!! In God's timing I guess...
#11 of 18 Old 11-04-2007, 09:31 PM

I'm 28 1/2 weeks w/ #2, due Jan 25th, DS is 22 1/2 months old and still nursing. Didn't even stop when my milk dried up around 14-16 weeks. Now he's nursing more than ever, since my colostrum came in about 3-4 weeks ago. I know he won't stop anytime soon, so I'll soon be a tandem nursing mama. We cosleep most of the time--he will sleep in his toddler bed occasionally, and I plan to cosleep w/ the new babe as well.

Michelle , wife to Ray, mama to Anthony(12/20/05), Bryant(01/08), Carisma (08/21/10) , step ma to Amber(12/13/94), : :
#12 of 18 Old 11-09-2007, 05:54 PM

i do think it's different for everyone. with my second pregnancy, i got pg when DD was 17 months and my milk was totally gone by 12 weeks. this time around, i still have a tiny bit, though not much (i can tell by the way DS sucks, and also how quickly he loses interest... also will sometimes tell me "that one's empty - i need the other one" ). but i don't expect i'll have a supply for long. i'm 16 weeks along.

i have heard that moms with smaller babes are more likely to keep their milk supply - probably because it's higher to begin with because little ones nurse so much more.

but also, while it's wise to be prepared for getting pg, be aware that many women who nurse for an extended period of time don't get their PPAF back until they wean. and many others don't get it back for a long time. i got my first PPAF when DD was 10 months. after #2, probably because i was tandeming, i didn't get my first PPAF until DS was 15 months.
#13 of 18 Old 11-09-2007, 07:48 PM

HI!
All 5 of our children are 21-25 months apart and I'm pregnant with #7 (we lost a little boy at 20 weeks). This will be our closet spacing (14 months apart). I have been nursing everyday since the birth of our 1st baby. That's a total of nursing everyday for 9 and a half years! I get "all day sickness" for about 4 months and have to take progesterone the first 4 months. My supply has not dried up or went down in all that time (with the sickness and added hormones). All of the children have tandem nursed for at least 6 months with the next sibling. And we all co-sleep together as well. I find myself saying "no" to some night nursings right before the baby comes and right after the baby comes. I feel like I have to have consistent rest if I want a good milk supply. If you get stressed that will definitely play a role in your milk supply. Drink lots of fluids and stay relaxed! Be blessed and enjoy every second!
Blessings,
Amy J.
#14 of 18 Old 11-12-2007, 06:48 PM

I'm tandem nursing through pregnancy for the third time (started this pregnancy triandem nursing!) and have been nursing for almost 9 years straight. I"m pregnant with #5.

I've never experienced supply problems while pregnant, only once had a child wean during pregnancy (Z self weaned a few weeks before his 7th birthday, so it definitely wasn't the pregnancy! : ) but every pregnancy has been different. I've had nursing-induced nausea for a few weeks during 2 of my pregnancies, experienced sore breasts/nipples during 2 of my pregnancies, and have had varying degrees of nursing aversions for short periods of time during pregnancy.

I also recommend "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" by Hilary Flower and also "Nursing Through Pregnancy and Beyond" by the Nursing Mothers Association of Australia.
#15 of 18 Old 11-14-2007, 01:17 AM

hi! I am about 13 weeks pregnant and Tandem nursing. My milk supply hasn't dried up really..and i hope it doesn't. I really want to let my dd self wean and not have to stop because of pregnancy.
#16 of 18 Old 11-20-2007, 03:12 AM

My DS was just a year when I got pg. My supply dropped a bit but it did not dry up. He happily nursed through the entire pg and is still nursing today, just turned four a couple weeks ago. We did co-sleep with the 4 of us the first 5 months and then DS decided he wanted to sleep in the new bed in "his" room (I was NOT ready for that!). The co-sleeping and the tandem nursing were both much easier than I expected. They never seemed to wake each other even when they were in the same bed. They are 21 months apart and it has been wonderful. They are very close and really enjoy each other's company. It was really cool how tandem nursing provided some extremely gentle and sweet moments for them those first months. What else could ever have slowed down my energetic almost-2-year-old long enough to lay sweetly alonside his sister all those moments holding her little hand and stroking her hair?
#17 of 18 Old 11-21-2007, 09:08 PM

When I got pg with dd#2 I did lose my supply, started losing it around 6 weeks, I didn't even know I was pg yet. But I did have pain and unexplainable aggrivation during night nursing. This was tough for me, I would get up in the night and cry because I didn't know why I wanted my little sweetie OFF OF ME! LOL Well the milk was gone but she kept right on through pregnancy. It was painful sometimes. But we worked through it. I tandem nursed them, it was the plan, but it was the plan to nurse them at the same time, that didn't happen. I had major...what's it called...I forget, but for some reason emotionally I just couldn't nurse them at the same time. I wanted my toddler off. But it was fine to nurse her when the baby was done, for me anyway.
We co-slept and I would roll back and forth, between the two.
I think my experience was a little tougher than a lot of moms experience. Please don't be scared off! My first dd was/is very high needs and I am so glad that I stuck it out. It was worth it! She self-weaned at 3 1/2 and now sleeps in her own bed.
Oh, I heard that sometimes little nurslings will quit once the milk comes back in, they don't like the taste of colostrum anymore. But not mine! She didn't even miss a beat!
Melinda
#18 of 18 Old 11-23-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsayjean View Post
Hello friends!! Nope, I'm not pregnant, but also not trying to prevent it. It took us 1.5 years to conceive our first so we're not wasting anytime with silly birth control... besides, how hard is it to figure out how to do FAM when you're breastfeeding?! Stilly no PP Af.

I would not mind tandem nursing- although as a relatively new momma it is hard to wrap my mind around. I guess the older nursling is much more efficient and can stay out of the newborns way?

What about co-sleeping. Anybody co-sleep AND tandem nurse?

I love being a momma and I would love to have my kids all in a row, I just would love to hear others' experiences with it.
my boys are 16m apart but my older DS weaned before I got pg with younger DS. My DS#2 will be 19.5m/o when their sister is born (he's 16.5m/o now and still nursing) I am 27 weeks and I still have milk. just a note I was using FAM + condoms to TTA from January...I am not sure if it was just ME but its pretty difficult to not get caught.

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page