Looks like we weaned! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-04-2008, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is about 3.5. About 3 weeks ago, he went to only nursing at "sleep times". Then, about 2 weeks ago, he starting falling alseep once in a while without nursing at all. Even when he did nurse, it was literally, 2 seconds. On, off. It was SO interesting, because it was like a switch was flipped. The kid who was ALL about nursing all of a sudden, it seemed like he just "didn't get it"- what all the fuss was about before. He'd nurse for 2 seconds and kind of have a strange look- like he was wondering what this was, or that he was trying a new food. He quite honestly would take 2 half-hearted sucks and move on. Now, some days he'll not nurse at all, some days he'll remember that it was really important to him at bedtimes and then again, 2 seconds or less and he's off with a look like "Hmmmm.... Not really interested. Wasn't what I remembered...". He'll tell me he "is a baby" and wants to "nursie", kind of trying to figure out what this change is about, but it is clear that something profound has changed and it honestly, "nursie" no longer has an appeal for him. DS might be a little curious as to what happened, but it is more like why he found nursing so great in the first place (and this kid was a CHAMPION nurser until about a month ago!). DS is happy and absolutely fine with all of it. It is clear he does not feel a loss about it and all. My husband is a veterinarian and when I told him this he laughed and said "That's what happens with the animals! The need and desire just "turn off" when they are ready to wean! Isn't it all amazing?" Yes. It is.

I'm really proud of myself that I let it happen this way. A few months ago, it was impossible for me to EVER see this kid weaning and I joked that I was going to have to go with him to college. But he did! On his own, comfortably, naturally and happily. In his time. It is the last of "the baby" to go... no more diapers, he sleeps in his "big kid bed", going to pre-school... But it is right and it is good and I'm happy.

I have to say, it was nice, but I'm ready too. This is a good thing .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-08-2008, 02:02 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Wow! Thanks for that, Mamma! My DS is 2 & I'm starting to struggle with the desire to wean him- and the desire to keep "ninnies". My DS is s champion nursling as well- this kid nurses like there's no tomorrow. So I'm starting to think maybe he'll NEVER self-wean. Your story inspires me. Maybe I'll let him keep ninnies a little longer yet & see if his "switch" turns itself off. Thanks!

Wife to since '98; Homeschooling, working on my doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day; Mom to DSs: 06/10,12/05, & 1/99 & 1 on the way (3/15)
#3 of 7 Old 01-31-2008, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Yup... shortly after this post DS "weaned for good" and we have been totally weaned for a few weeks now. The transition was gentle and real and genuinely nice for both of us. The bottom line is that he stopped when he was ready, and it was not at his Bar Mitzvah (as was the family joke!).

I am really proud of us- that we did it OUR way, that I was able to trust that DS would stop when he was ready and that like other milestones, it would happen when the time was right, and that my DH was so supportive all the way. All these things happened, and I'm so glad I trusted in all 3 of us and disregarded the naysayers. It feels like this is the way it was supposed to be.

I am proud I nursed through brutal reccurent mastitis the first year. I'm glad I nursed through the tantrums of the second. I'm glad I calmed and helped to sleep the toddler and pre-schooler afterwards in a quiet, private time. But now, I also have been ready for it to be over as well. It was time, and though this is the last "baby" thing to go, I'm really looking forward to our changing relationship. I feel like I did my job, DS did his, and so I am not mouring the end of nursing but seeing it as another milestone to celebrate.

We did it! I Child Led Weaned!
#4 of 7 Old 01-31-2008, 10:04 PM

Wow, that's awesome! Good for you both! I must confess, even though nursing drives me batty at times, the thought of either child weaning still brings tears to my eyes.
#5 of 7 Old 02-02-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsam View Post
A few months ago, it was impossible for me to EVER see this kid weaning
This is where I am with my little (big) boobaholic, so I am reading this with great interest!

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#6 of 7 Old 02-02-2008, 08:14 PM

Congratulations!
My experience with dd at age 4 was pretty similar.
It feels so good to see it happen so smoothly and naturally.
One day, they just "know" it's finished.
Child led weaning, the only imaginable way for us to go!

(Now if we only got around soon to have that weaning party that had to be postponed because of dd's pink eye)
#7 of 7 Old 02-14-2008, 11:23 PM

Wow, that's wonderful! My DD weaned at age 3.5 years, too, in much the same way you describe. I was shocked by how easily and gently the end came. I was sure it would be a struggle, but it ended up being very natural and mutual. We were both ready and it happened.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page