Did YOUR mom do CLW? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 172 Old 02-17-2008, 03:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs_mandolini View Post
I am interested to hear if there are any adults here whose mom did CLW. Can you remember nursing? I want to know about this!
nope I was formula fed

I feel like I should add that i was a 33 weeker and had open heart surgery when i was 18 days old...the NICU nurses in the hospital where I had the surgery sabatoged nursing and by the time i was released my mom's milk was gone. she is SO supportive of me nursing Jake though and she doesn't even ask me when I will wean anymore

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 172 Old 02-17-2008, 01:19 PM

No, my mom never tried nursing. She got a shot in the hospital to dry up her milk.

Blessed mama of four
::
#63 of 172 Old 02-17-2008, 01:26 PM

No, she was told she had to wean me at 8 weeks because her nipples were cracked and bleeding and that blood couldn't possibly be good for me. She made it to 6 months with my brother when they told her she had to stop because he was too old.

Robin, strong and happy single mama to Anna (7/06)
"Au milieu de l'hiver, j'ai découvert en moi un invincible été."
#64 of 172 Old 02-17-2008, 04:16 PM

My mom nursed me until 19mo, but she says I probably would have nursed longer if she was more patient. LOL
She did CLW w/ my little bro and he nursed until 3yo.

My MIL also did CLW w/ both her boys. DH weaned at about 3yo (when she got pregnant again) and BIL was over 3yo.

~Kaiya~

winner.jpg  Mama to DS(7), DS(4), DD(1) and #4 due 8/2014!

#65 of 172 Old 02-17-2008, 04:36 PM

According to her, yes. If you believe that I CLW'ed at 9 months old !
#66 of 172 Old 02-17-2008, 06:49 PM

I was weaned at 3yo, so while technically not CLW I feel amazingly lucky. By that point it wasn't overly difficult to wean me anyway.

My very first memory is of nursing to sleep. I remember a little milk drooling down my cheek and something about that seemed to spark a neuron to make a memory because that is what I remember the most. I remember feeling warm and happy.
#67 of 172 Old 02-19-2008, 02:43 PM

I was born in '78, and my mom breastfed me until I was 3. I was also a natural hospital birth and CDed. She's an awesome resource for me now that I'm pregnant with my first!
#68 of 172 Old 02-19-2008, 03:54 PM
kmc

I was 18 months when I supposedly weaned myself. I was born in 1969 and my mom got a lot of flack for breastfeeding. Her mother considered breastfeeding "low class" and would leave the room when my mom nursed me.
#69 of 172 Old 02-19-2008, 03:55 PM

nope... my mom did not nurse me at all. i remember her attempting to nurse my brother after he was so obviously severely allergic to all formulas and his ped told her she should be bfing

when i told her i was pg with dd1 one of the first things she told me was to take two doses of the meds to dry up my milk when i told her i was planning to bf, she was shocked. now after two grandchildren who have clw and new baby currently nursing she is a great supporter of bf. to her credit, after i told her that i was planning to bf she told me i had to contact LLL. i guess she realized she was not going to be too much help.

peace

jen

jen mommy to dd1 (11y), dd2 (6y) and ds (3y)
#70 of 172 Old 02-19-2008, 04:02 PM

My mom did this but I weaned myself at 17 months. I have no memory of it. I was born in 1969. She was disappointed because I was the 4th child and she had made this decision to keep nursing until I chose to wean then I weaned really early.
#71 of 172 Old 02-19-2008, 05:43 PM

Nope. Bf for one month. Formula after that. I will always wonder if that's why I have such a sensitive stomach.

Leslie, mom to John :, 02/25/06
::::
#72 of 172 Old 02-19-2008, 08:13 PM

I was bf'd for 6 weeks. My mom had serious stress in her life, no support whatsoever, and she was seriously underweight within weeks after my birth. Her milk dried up, and she still feels such sorrow and regret to this day. I never took to formula well (dairy and soy sensitivities), and her doctor made a special recipe for me (he was a former veterinarian of all things). I have no idea what was in it -- I do know that I spewed goat's milk across the kitchen at 2 months old.

She wanted to bf my younger brother 3 years later, but she had an emergency c-section (one of those truly necessary ones that saved both of their lives), and the nurses sabotaged their nursing relationship while she was recovering. : Again, she had no support, so didn't try relactating.

That said, she has always been one of my biggest supporters!! I think that seeing me nurse my babes for so long has acted as a kind of balm for her own mothering wounds. I'm always amazed that she knew bf'ing was a good, natural thing, given the environment in which she grew up -- fanatical religion coupled with the idea that only poor, uneducated women or hippies nursed their babes. Of course, she was raised by her great-grandmother (an herbalist/naturalist county nurse) until she was 8 years old, so maybe she learned some of it from her.

Amanda and Dh, ds 09/00, ds 08/03, ds 10/05, and ds 05/08, and 3 :
#73 of 172 Old 02-19-2008, 09:50 PM

I weaned myself at 16 months after the milk was gone, I was born in 86. My oldest brother was weaned at 9 months, I haven't asked why. My middle brother was weaned and ff at 6 weeks, he was a premie and my mom wasn't taking care of herself during her pregnancy or afterwards. She's a huge advocate for breastfeeding because of her experience with me, but she's also compassionate to women who ff for various reasons. She had a natural approach to parenting us otherwise, we had a family bed, cloth diapers, she waited until 6 months to introduce home-grown solids, no CIO.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#74 of 172 Old 02-19-2008, 10:46 PM

i was born at home in 1977, tandem nursed with m older brother then my younger brother. i was CLWed. i mean, i was 5 and she was nursing a newborn, a toddler, and me. i was only nursing to sleep at that point. she says that seh jsut went in one night and said, rachel, i think you have nursed long enough. i remember shrugging and going, "okay". and that was it.
i do have a couple memories of nursing from different ages, but funny enough, i don't remember nursing with a sib although she says i did alot.
i am clw'ing with my dd (although i would probably pull the same trick if seh was still nursing past 5) and currently nursing through a pregnancy (the shock and horror!)
#75 of 172 Old 02-19-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright-midnight View Post
Nope, I was FF from birth as well.
me too
#76 of 172 Old 02-19-2008, 11:43 PM

My mom nursed us all (I'm the youngest of 4) until we weaned. The oldest was 2 years (the earliest), and I was 4 years. I used to be embarrassed about the age, until I realized how proud I can be! Most don't get the chance to remember (I do--and no, I'm not emotionally scarred, like some like to think I would be!). Plus, most people think it's SO strange, but the truth of the matter is that we westerners (well, US) are strange in that we DON'T clw (most of the time). I try to educate one person at a time. Or, like last weekend, the entire bridal shower attendance list. THEY asked. Who am I to turn them down. I'm learning to be factual, but not demeaning (it's HARD for me), and it worked. One girl who was due soon (delivered today) asked me all kinds of questions about breastfeeding. That's what started the whole thing. It helped that I have a VERY happily breastfed baby. She smiles ALL the time, incl. and especially with a nipple in her mouth. At the same time, they learned that just because she's in a sling a lot and exclusively breastfed at 10 1/2 months, she's not clingy or whiney. She goes off and does her own thing until she's ready to come back to mama and exemplify why breastfeeding is so great. I forgot the questions, since I went off on my tangent. Oh well!
#77 of 172 Old 02-20-2008, 12:28 AM

Uh, no.

FF from birth.
#78 of 172 Old 02-20-2008, 01:29 AM

I have a twin, so when we turned two she decided she couldn't take both of us anymore and quit breastfeeding. I remember being really sad when she'd refuse to let me nurse. She says that both my twin sister and I weren't very happy when she wouldn't let us nurse. haha

Happily married to my DH joy.gifStep-mom to a very smart 5yo boy notes.gif and a mommy to a 3yo princessdust.gifPregnant with my second baby due 7/27/11 belly.gifPlanning on my second uc.jpg too!

homeschool.gif     intactlact.gif     winner.jpg      familybed1.gif  cd.gif

#79 of 172 Old 02-20-2008, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondygirl View Post
I have a twin, so when we turned two she decided she couldn't take both of us anymore and quit breastfeeding. I remember being really sad when she'd refuse to let me nurse. She says that both my twin sister and I weren't very happy when she wouldn't let us nurse. haha
I'm impressed! my MIL only bf'ed the triplets (dh is one) until they were 4 monthsish

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#80 of 172 Old 02-20-2008, 11:19 PM

Nope, my mom weaned me at 6 months. And she has absolutely no regrets and is totally grossed out by my still nursing my soon-to-be 3 yo. She's been pressuring me to wean since he was 7 mos old. I was born in 77.

Though she gives me so much grief about my bf relationship with my DS and it's such a touchy subject between us, I still think that it's cool that she bf'ed me until 6 mos, seeing as she went back to work when I was 6 weeks.
#81 of 172 Old 02-21-2008, 11:32 AM

Good grief no. I was formula fed from the get-go. This was in the early 70's and to put it into context my mothers generation were the first to have freely available access to contraception and thus the first to "own:" their bodies as well as "own" their own moneny en masse as a group. In the previous generation, mothers in paid employment, by choice, was the exception. Therefore when it came to a choice between BF'ing considering what she was told it would do to her breasts, and getting what was considered to be 'her own body back' she choose the latter. It was consdered that 'it wasn't worth your while' putting in all that effort for just three months' anyway.
But even with FF, she had to have stand-up rows with my grandmother to resist the pressure of 'on-the-clock feeding when my grandmother was insistent that she leave me to scream myself into a synaptic tack and simply close the door on a three week old infant until the clock gave her permission to feed.
My other grandmother was a horse of an entirely different colour and BF'ed on demand, 5 out of 6 of hers (the 6th being a premie who didn't make it) until they were toddlers - in the ultra-conservative 1950's.
Much to the outright disgust and horror of her "sophisticated" neighbours who all used formula - which meant that such "advances" meant women didn't "need" to do that anymore.
#82 of 172 Old 02-22-2008, 10:50 PM

Amazingly enough, yes, my mother did. Back in 1975 when bf wasn't very common, she did her own thing. I think I weaned myself, but then when my sister was born, I wanted to nurse again, and she let me. I was 3yo at the time. I have done the same with my first and will do the same with my second when he wants to end the breastfeeding relationship.
#83 of 172 Old 02-23-2008, 02:05 AM

nope
my mom breastfed me for 10mths - my sister was born 3mths later
this was in 1971/72 - her friends all bf too even back then

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

#84 of 172 Old 02-26-2008, 09:32 PM

No, but I was bf until I was 4+ years old, and yes, I remember it.

She weaned each of us when she wanted to get pregnant again. I'm not sure why.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#85 of 172 Old 02-26-2008, 11:22 PM

I was FF, due to the fact that my mom was hospitalized for a week right after I was born. She did CLW with my two youngest sisters, though.
#86 of 172 Old 02-27-2008, 12:09 PM

Yes! I am so proud of her. Back in 1975 when it was so uncommon, she not only CLW all of us, but was a LLL leader for many years. I breastfed until my 6th birthday, when I decided I was too old. My younger sister and older brother each breastfed until they were 4. I was more sensitive and needy - still am

My mom, however, was given cows milk straight from day one because this was back when women were keep away from their babies for two weeks in the hospital. She often says that she doesn't know how she survived!

, , , , , to DD1 (4.5 years old) and DD2 (7 months) and 2
#87 of 172 Old 02-27-2008, 03:08 PM

Probably no CLW, I think.

I was born in 1982 in Ontario. I asked my mom a few months ago how long she nursed us for and her response was that she breastfed me for "only just over a year" and my brother "only about 14 months" (brother born in 1986).

I didn't ask about how/why she weaned us, because I got the impression she wished it had been longer - so it might have been nursing strikes.

It does sound like she'll be supportive of extended breasfeeding, so that's nice. She even mentioned that my aunt (who had twins a month before I was born) gave her a copy of the LLL's book!

The stories about the shot to make the milk dry up are so sad. I've never heard of such a thing.

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

#88 of 172 Old 02-27-2008, 03:44 PM

Not me. I was a formula baby. From what I was told, she tried to bf me but between a hospital acquired infection and what they used to fight it, her supply was zapped and I lost a 1/3 of my body weight in my first few weeks of life.

I hope to do CLW w/my baby.
#89 of 172 Old 02-27-2008, 04:48 PM

My mom nursed me for 2 months, then she got mastitis and was told she had to stop nursing I also think I had a dairy allergy, because my tummy was always upset apparently and my grama kept pressuring her to give me formula (with rice cereal added) when they put me on dairy formula my tummy got worse, but when they switched to soyalac (sp?) all the upset went away and I was a happy baby. Too bad my mom didn't know about cutting out dairy from her diet, or everything would have been different. She was also very stressed (separating from my dad) and said her milk was drying up.
The sad thing is that my grama was a nurse, and she was so pro-formula.
She would always brag to me that after she delivered her babies at the hospital, she had a huge abundence of milk and would supply all the babies in the nursery with milk, I'm not sure how truthful this is, if it was ALL the babies, or ONE baby. If she actually nursed a baby at her breast or pumped...I don't know. But she only nursed her own babies for 2-3 months max and then they were all on formula and cereal.
My mom was so AP for the early 80s though, CD, co-sleeping, gentle disapline, wanted as natural birth as possible, bf'd as long as she could, thought about homeschooling me.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#90 of 172 Old 03-04-2008, 03:31 PM

I was born in 1976, my mom's fifth child. I nursed until I was six. She tandem nursed my sister and I (born in 1978). I think I nursed longer than any of the others.
I remember nursing once.
My mom, sister and I were all in bed nursing when my older brother walked in and got grossed out. "Why do you do that mom?" I don't remember her response. He was always questioning how she raised my younger sister and I.

mom and dad were divorced right after my sister was conceived. I guess big bro thought it was his job! He is still offended by nursing. Can't believe my five year old is nursing

-Sara, working Mom to Fletcher (2003) and Magnolia (2008):, wife to Jim the best SAHD in the world (1999) NVC has changed my life

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page