Did YOUR mom do CLW? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-24-2008, 04:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No CLW for me, but that doesn't mean I didn't get a nice long run of nursing.

My mom had me, then at some point during her pregnancy with my brother, or after, or at some point in there, she weaned me for some reason (I was 2). Then my brother was nursing, and in my highly verbal, argue with/about anything, way, I talked my way back into it...the paraphrase of what's been told to me was that I pointed out that there were one, two children and there were one, two sip sips, so, basically, where was the problem? I was a charmer back then, and I nursed until my brother self-weaned at 2, so i went to 4.

At that point she HAD TO go back to work (divorce to an otherwise absent husband giving no support caused that) so it didn't really matter what I wanted or needed.

And it was at 4, after weaning, that I started my long process of getting random and bizarre diseases that no one was getting anymore, like Scarlet Fever. I like to say thank goodness she nursed me that long, or I probably would have died before I was a toddler.

Then my dad's second wife nursed her two boys until they self-weaned at 2, then their daughter (25 years younger than me!) went beyond 4, despite attempts at weaning her, despite her mom having a hysterectomy, despite her being in nursing school and never there...my sis was very very determined. Sometime before 5, though, she at last weaned.

I have lots of support in my family, and even from my mom's literally lifelong LLL friends, for our extended nursing (DS is almost 4).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2008, 07:30 PM

YES! I weaned just before my 4th birthday. I have a couple of vague memories of nursing. I remember being in my mom's lap, and doing what my mom calls "gymnastic nursing." I'd try to stand on one leg with the other in the air, and turn upside down all while nursing HAHA! I also remember when I was maybe 5-6 y/o and my mom offered to nurse me when I had an allergic reaction to corn. I remember not knowing what to do anymore and it was really awkward, so it didn't last long.
I was born in 1984, and my mom was an LLL leader for several years. She was VERY AP. She had me at home, delayed vacs, left my bro's intact, CD'd (partially), co-slept, etc. She did BF my older brother, but sometime between 6-12 mo's (I can't exactly remember) she had to wean or switch to formula due to thyroid problems and my brother's failure to thrive. My parents adopted my younger brother, and my mother tried to relactate in order to BF him, but with very little success. He kept pulling on the tubes of the supplementer and breaking them, and she said it was too expensive to keep replacing them for no more success than they were having. It's too bad, though because he ended up being very allergic to most formulas.
I'm so glad she did nurse me as long as she did. I think it made a very strong bond between us, and although we differ in many other areas, I know I can always go to her for parenting support and get the answers I need.
On another interesting note, my In-laws have a decent BFing record as well. Most didn't nurse very long (~6-12mo), but I was so tickled to find out that DH's grandmother actually nursed his cousin, because the cousin's mom didn't have much milk supply and hers was abundant. I thought that was really cool!

Sarah , Wife to DH , Mommy to DS 01/07 , DD 04/09 , and Due 04/11
Old 03-25-2008, 05:06 PM

My mom said I weaned at 11 months. She nursed my brother until he was 3. He tripped and his mouth hit a curb at the movie theater. He drove his front teeth through his bottom lip and ended up with a bunch of stitches and lost all 4 top teeth. The dentist did try to reseed the teeth, but they ended up all falling out. By the time my brother was born, my Mom was an LLL Leader, but she still says I weaned myself.....
Old 03-25-2008, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne423 View Post
My mom said I weaned at 11 months. She nursed my brother until he was 3. He tripped and his mouth hit a curb at the movie theater. He drove his front teeth through his bottom lip and ended up with a bunch of stitches and lost all 4 top teeth. The dentist did try to reseed the teeth, but they ended up all falling out. By the time my brother was born, my Mom was an LLL Leader, but she still says I weaned myself.....
I'm just curious what the teeth falling out have to do with CLW. Am I just really dense and reading the post wrong (which is very likely, by the way)?

I'm interested in what was going on
Old 03-28-2008, 11:38 PM

My Mom says she nursed me until I was 9 months old. I don't think she nursed any of my younger sisters as long (less than 6 months?).
Old 04-01-2008, 11:37 PM

my mom bf'd all three of us until we started getting teeth and biting her. That was 9 months for me, 7 months for my sister, and about 6 months for my brother.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:12 AM

I think so, she bfed all three of us kids for about 3 years, and tandemed with me and my older bro (but wanted him to wean and when she was sick she told him "I have to take some medicine, so my milk might taste like medicine" - knowing that he hated medicine - and he soon weaned)

mom of twins.gif boys born 9/13/05 and dog2.gifdog2.gif

Old 08-04-2008, 01:14 AM

Yes. I am not quite sure when I was done, but I do know my mom tandem nursed me (newborn), and older two bros for a couple of of months (ages 2, 5) until oldest brother decided he was done. I bet she wishes she had "triple nipple"! Then, my mom breastfed my younger two bros as well. She said with #4 she had to pump and use SNS for him and I was still nursing on my own side. The biggest accomplishment, IMO is that she breastfed #5 after my dad left (divorced) for another woman.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:34 AM

I'm a twin and we were born in 1969. In that time, in my mom's opinion, you just didn't even try to nurse twins. It was just too hard. I'm nursing my third kid now and it's such an amazing thing to experience as a mom...I do really wish my mom had nursed us.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes. I weaned on my own around the age of six years. I vividly recollect my nursing experience.
Uzra
Old 08-10-2008, 05:45 AM

OMG NO!!!! My dd gave me evaporated milk as an infant (I'm a 60s baby... I guess formula wasn't so perfected back then?)

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:59 AM

My mother has inverted nipples and was told she couldn't breastfeed, but she tried anyway. After six weeks of failure, she was told that she was "starving" me and that she "had to formula feed." Poor mommy. She tried so hard... But she's glad to see how good me and my son are doing with breastfeeding.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:21 AM

My mum breastfed me exclusively for 11 months and then breastfed me for fives years and weaned me suddenly at five, I remember weaning being very traumatic and sudden and I felt that she didn't love me any more and was very angry.I remember breastfeeding as being extremely comforting and it helped me to relax and distress when everything seemed overwhelming, I loved it and still have fond memories.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:36 AM

My mom nursed me for about 3 weeks. Apparently the longest of my siblings to be nursed was my brother...3 months (2nd bio baby, 3rd child).

My mom has looked whistfully at me sometimes and said she wishes she had nursed us longer but I just tell her that she did the best she could given what she knew at the time and give her a big hug.

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
Old 08-13-2008, 05:28 AM

Mom didn't do CLW, although she did nurse me for a bit over 3 years.

Homeschooling Mom of 4 boys: 10/02, 6/04, 3/06, 2/09
Old 08-16-2008, 11:45 PM

Nope, I was allergic:P So sad.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:54 PM

I think so. I was the oldest and weaned at 2.5ish and tandem-nursed with my younger sister. Out of the 4 of us, 3 were over 2 when we weaned, and one sis (3rd kid) weaned closer to a year (15mo ish I think?)

I think she did don't offer don't refuse from pretty early on with all of us, so not sure it was truly CLW.

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:43 PM

My mom is deceased, so I don't know for sure, but I think she tried to bf for a couple of weeks maybe and then started formula. I didn't really like it so she had a lot of trouble feeding me. I was a teeny child. She put orange juice and a raw egg in the blender and fed me that!!:
Old 08-25-2008, 12:28 PM

Nope, I was formula fed from day one. My parents were also the complete opposite of the AP parenting style.

I am also a lover of books reading.gif, treehugger treehugger.gif, and occasional soapbox stander! soapbox.gif

Old 08-25-2008, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Weaned at 6 weeks. She was discouraged from bfing at all. She didn't feel she had a choice with my older brother, they didn't have money for formula. He bf for longer than I did.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:29 PM

I was nursed for about 2 weeks, at which point my mom was told she "didn't have enough milk," so she was given a shot of something to dry up the rest of her milk, and then I was switched to formula. (this was mid-70s).

I'm sure the reason she "didn't have enough milk" was b/c she was feeding on a schedule from the beginning... doctor's orders, you know :

I remember finding out that she nursed my younger sister until she was 6 months old and thinking, oh wow, that was great that she went a really long time.... of course, that was way before I had my own and she nursed until well into her 4th year!!
Old 08-25-2008, 05:15 PM

I was breastfed for a couple months, then given formula one time and spit it up, so my mom decided to give me regular cow's milk, which I got from then on. I didn't know this until just recently

WOHM to pinecone boy (7/07) and pinecone girl (7/10)
Old 08-25-2008, 05:18 PM

My mom nursed me and subsequently my two sisters until we were 9 or 10 months old, then weaned, had one menstrual cycle, and got pregnant again because she wanted us to be close in age. And, my mom just told me this a few months ago (it kind of grosses me out): my youngest sister weaned herself at 10 months because my mom started smoking again. Really though, I think she rocks because it was the 1970s, and she was considered a weird hippy by other military wives for BFing at all.

Doula, WOHM, wife to a super-fun papa, mama to the Monkey ('07), and his little brother, the Sea Monkey ('09).
Old 08-25-2008, 05:38 PM

I was weaned at 15 months so they could get pregnant again. But the resulting sister was CLW.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:13 PM

My mom weaned me at six months because the Dr said I was too big and she was too little. She had dropped below 90 lbs and I was over 20 lbs. It wasn't that she needed to eat more, but rather I needed to eat less.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:09 PM

She was robbed of the opportunity to breastfeed me. She also said the nurses told her not to touch me after I was born because my mom's hands were "dirty". She especially mourns that. I was formula fed on a schedule. That's why I like to rock. I remember self comforting myself because I was forced to give up on my mother. She was not going to feed me on demand. It's what she was taught. My mother is not very assertive.

I breastfed all my children and my fourth just weaned a month before his fifth birthday. Life is not always like mother like daughter.

Sincerely,
Debra, homeschooling mom of 4 ages 11, 10, 8, and 5
Old 08-25-2008, 10:23 PM

My mom did not do CLW with me. When I was 2, she got pregnant with my sis and it was too painful for her to nurse me. I do not remember nursing, but must have had a positive experience because I nursed both my children and did CLW with both of them.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:00 AM

My mom breastfed me until I was 2 and then her mother-in-law (my grandma) told her she had to stop because I was too old. But then she went on to breastfeed my sister and brother until they were 3! I will have to ask her if she let them decide to stop or not. They were only 18 months apart too so she was tandem nursing for a lot of it!

DD born April 7/08 and expecting #2 October 2010!
Old 08-26-2008, 04:05 AM

I was nursed until I was about 3. My mom said her milk had pretty much dried up by then and her breasts would hurt when I'd nurse, so she "sent me away" for the weekend to my older sister's house. When I came back I didn't ask to nurse. I remember nursing in the car and being bothered by the steering wheel. Boy, have times changed! I do remember how snuggly it was when I nursed.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:07 PM

My mother perceives herself as having done CLW, and that was her intention. However, I "weaned myself" at 10 months. Nursing strike anyone?

I had also been getting one bottle a day since I was 5 months, because the doctor recommended it "so if she weans before she can drink out of a cup, she'll know how to take a bottle"

In any case, 10 months was longer than anyone my mother knew breastfed, so I'm appreciative for what I got.

User Tag List