How long does milk take to dry up? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-06-2008, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think DD has weaned, how long does milk usually take to dry up at this stage? Thanks! Please move if this is the wrong forum. Thanks!

Who stole my signature!
#2 of 6 Old 03-08-2008, 09:34 AM

I had the same question (though we are not there yet, I am concerned about it because I have a pretty strong supply!)

Nobody answered
But I bumped mine and hereby bumping you too. Hopefully someone will chime in!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#3 of 6 Old 03-08-2008, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I still had a very good supply too. I was not expecting DD to wean quite yet so its been a surprise, not sure I was quite ready myself!

Who stole my signature!
#4 of 6 Old 03-08-2008, 02:07 PM

I don't have any "scientific" answers, but will let you know my experience. I did not nurse for as long as you did, but once my little ones were weaned it was probably 1-3 weeks before my breasts were not engorged or slightly leaking after they weaned. Once the stimulation of the breast stops, milk production will cease rather quickly. You may be able to express a little fluid from your breasts for quite some time. My son was weaned 1.5 yrs ago and I can still express a tiny drop from one of my breasts.
#5 of 6 Old 03-08-2008, 02:09 PM

I found this on breastfeed.com

By Mary Kay Smith
IBCLC, Lactation Consultant

I have stopped breastfeeding and am wondering how long it takes for the milk to dry up. It has been a week and my nipples are still very sore. I am also still leaking.

I would be better able to address this question if I knew the age of the baby. If the baby is older, and you have gradually weaned over a period of days or even weeks, chances are that there will be little milk present and little discomfort involved. If this is a case of abrupt weaning of a young baby (3-6 months or younger), there is a chance that there will be milk present for several days, possibly even two weeks or more and much more discomfort may be involved.

If engorgement is involved, I would advise wearing cold green cabbage leaves in your bra, changing them when they become limp, for several days. This will help with swelling and gradually allow the milk leakage to diminish.

However, it is not abnormal for women to produce drops of milk for months or even years after weaning. This varies from woman to woman. As the breast involutes, milk changes in composition back to a colostrum-like (clear) substance and diminishes greatly in volume.

Women who still see more than drops of milk six months or more after weaning are advised to evaluate any circumstances that may cause breast or nipple stimulation, which can maintain prolactin levels high enough to produce milk. Wearing a front carrier or holding baby where the breasts are stimulated, wearing clothing that rubs the nipples or even sexual activity involving the breast or nipple can increase prolactin levels.
#6 of 6 Old 04-20-2008, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Hey thanks for this and sorry did not get to it sooner, I was out of the country at the time. Anyhow things seem to be drying up nicely and even are less droopy so I am relieved about that!

Who stole my signature!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page