Trying to register an unassisted birth in NY or Refuse of birth certificate? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 11-20-2008, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter was born in April into the arms of her father there was nobody else there we had an interview for a birth certificate in June since then it's been going this and that.
Ambassades don't want to know,Child services don't want to serve and all the lawyers up to now have refused us. I really don't want to spend another winter here.
There is no more such as a freedom of choice? What documents really are required?
The Health Department is asking us for things like birth certificate, last years tax returns (he can't have because he wasn't in the States)and a notice from a doctor we didn't see . "Why?"-"We need it!" . They didn't want to see the placenta (I still have it in the freezer) , the photos and were happy with just 1 affidavit.
I have no such documents they do not exist . Their only reply is that they will not register my daughter.
Searching for any kind of help.
Does anybody know a lawyer who would take on that kind of case?
Or any advice of what to do?
Any ideas , hints, contacts ,speculations are helpful please share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 11-20-2008, 02:41 PM

First of all, there are some handy tips about how to get the birth certificate up on here as a "sticky". I don't know if it mentions the requirements in NY, but it might, so check it out. The requirements are different everywhere, but they usually have discretion right to ask for "additional proof, as needed" whatever that may mean.

What I can tell you is that every human being has the right to citizenship, and that their human rights are violated if they are refused. So if you are still not able to progress, and lawyers are turning you down, you could perhaps turn to some human rights organization? I think that Amnesty International helps refugees on citizenship issues - you could send them an email?

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#3 of 5 Old 11-20-2008, 02:53 PM

Maybe you should get a DNA test. I don't know the cost, but it would be more difficult to refute a DNA test.

I would start again at the beginning.

Do you have a copy of the law regarding filing birth certificates; you need this first.
Do you have copies of your previous application and denials?
I'd start going up the chain of command starting with the health department and get a written denial from each level. Then go to whomever oversees the health department.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."

#4 of 5 Old 11-20-2008, 03:04 PM

What about an immigration lawyer? They will know all about the laws that govern citizenship, which apply to your baby. I know that in my area (Texas/Mexico border), this issue must come up a lot with all the undocumented aliens that work here & have children--lots of times at home!
#5 of 5 Old 12-09-2008, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier but me and the machine are not always on a good Basis. All advice was helpful and highly appreciated .
The lawyers still refuse me , in the health department they refuse to talk to me and tell me :"it's your birth attendant who handles your case" (husband). Amnesty international said that they can't do 0.But they have an office in London which handles discrimination in the U.S.
Any office you call on the phone, has the only goal to convince you that they are not responsible.
I see only the most radical measures might be good enough, but don't worry they will hear from me.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page