UC Sypport thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 234 Old 01-23-2004, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure after reading this whole thread and some of the birth stories, that I want to UC this time around. After one hospital induction with an OB, one hospital induction with a midwife, I'm ready for my body to do this on its own.
#182 of 234 Old 01-23-2004, 08:28 AM

Congratulations Mothernature! I hadn't seen your birth story thread. Thank you very much for posting a link to it here.

I'm still very much looking forward to hearing your birth story thechrysalis. If you post it on another thread, would you provide a link to it here?

Enjoy your babes!

: madrone - : SAHM to 12 y.o. DS, : 9 y.o. DD, and : 4 y.o. DS
#183 of 234 Old 01-23-2004, 01:15 PM

Well I am about to hop in the shower and go meet this midwife! By happy coincidence I discovered in speaking with her that I already know her partner!

I had a very difficult client a few months ago (her husband was a loon) and the nurse they had was just fabulous. She privately told me to encourage her to eat and drink! She did intermittent monitoring! (very rare in hospitals here) She convinced the OB to let her get in the whirlpool tub even though her membranes had ruptured! The doctor did not arrive in time, so the babe was breathed out slowly and the mom was in her husband's lap, with the bed lowered to the floor, nurse and I on the floor in front. Olive oil and hot compresses. The room was packed with every free nurse who'd heard "D----'s going to deliver the baby!"

Afterwards, every other nurse stood slackjawed and amazed. "I've never seen a birth like that!" they all said. (I wanted to say, hmm, so how will you use what you learned this evening in future practice?!)

Anyway the reason I write all this is that the midwife I am going to meet told me this nurse is her partner and backup midwife! I am encouraged that I already met this woman in a professional capacity- and it was truly the nicest hospital birth I have ever seen.

My vision for giving birth is to be able to be all alone, by myself (my husband likes this idea very much! ) but have folks in the house if I need them. It sounds so far as though this midwife is more than happy to do exactly that.
#184 of 234 Old 01-23-2004, 01:31 PM

Congratulations Mothernature!! What a great story.

I will probably post a shortened version of my birth story, I think it is going to take some time to process the whole thing. There is a lot I don't remember and I have the timelines kind of confused, plus I don't want to scare anyone with the retelling of our trip to the hospital. But I am working on it and will try to get what I have, posted sometime soon
#185 of 234 Old 01-23-2004, 04:45 PM

Hi again, I haven't posted in a while and am probably not too well known but I a planning an Uanassisted homebirth. Being that my daughter was born at 26 weeks by c-section and lived in a hopspital for so long, I have sort of a medical haze looming over me. Basically I am trying to be as informed as possible and going to try to have things around like oxygen in case. I was on a site the other day, birthwithlove.com, and they sell full oxygen tanks for about 110$. Today I called a local oxgen place and they say I have to have a prescription to rent from them. I am totally happy that this site sells full tanks but it sort of gets me wondering. Anyways, are any of you going to have oxygen around and where are you getting it and how? I live in a town with not-so-good emergency care, or not-so-timely I should say so this is a must for me..
Tiffany
#186 of 234 Old 01-23-2004, 07:57 PM

Congrats mamas on your new babies.

I am hanging out, trying to stay busy so I don't get obsessed with every little twinge in my body. I think it will be soon though. Perhaps this weekend.

Beth
#187 of 234 Old 01-24-2004, 12:11 AM

What a beautiful birth and story, Mothernature!! Yay!!

2much2luv--sending peaceful and empowering birth vibes your way!
#188 of 234 Old 01-24-2004, 12:37 AM

I had a lovely meeting with the midwives at the birth center (where prenatals take place) and feel very happy to have heard a heartbeat and where the placenta is, fundal height, urine and so on. These midwives really seem to be supportive of just about anything so, as I said before, I think I have the best of both worlds here. They are very supportive of UC and I like that a lot.

Mothernature that was a lovely birth story. I'm sure your partner brings a lot of good calm energy that is, in my experience, much needed in most NICU staff.

The owner of our vegetable market was told by my ten-year old on her birthday that we are expecting another and informed me I am having a boy. From most people I would find that annoying but not from him. I did ask what he based this opinion on (he didn't say it, he asked, "it is a boy, right?") and he said there was just no question. At the moment I would really prefer a girl but of course by the time it's born I won't care.
#189 of 234 Old 01-24-2004, 03:28 PM

#190 of 234 Old 01-24-2004, 09:04 PM

2much2luv -- I'm sending you peaceful birth vibes. Know that we are with you. I hope your next post is your amazing, gentle birth story! (Waiting can be a pain!)

Thechrysalis -- I'm so glad your babe is in your arms. Thank you for being so thoughtful about posting your birth story. Even in your babymoon, you're being so supportive of us! Thank you. Sending you love, light and peace!

Oh, my husband took some really neat pregnancy pictures of me today. I'm so glad that we'll have them for the years to come. I felt so beautiful and full in them. Kendall your sensual pic on Shanley's site was one of our inspirations. Thank you. (My website tools are down otherwise I'd post some for you guys to look at. I think they turned out well)

A friend of mine just had a baby last night. It was her first and in a hospital. It was very medicalized, but she seemed quite happy with it (forced breaking water, epidural, pitocin, vacuum, tearing, but at least it was vaginal). The thing is, it made me so excited to birth another little one into the world. Oh, 2much2luv, come post your birth story, so I have a great positive one to keep in my head as I dream of birthing!

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#191 of 234 Old 01-26-2004, 01:15 PM

Eden Elizabeth is here, born at 4:00 this morning into daddy's hands. We are doing great, just tired. I will get to the birth story soon. Thanks for all the support.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...ab750000001010
#192 of 234 Old 01-26-2004, 03:10 PM

Welcome Eden Elizabeth! Yay, 2much2luv! Enjoy your babymoon!

We'll be eagerly awaiting your birth story, but take your time. Sending you love, light and peace!

(Anyone else want me to request them to go into labor? Seemed to work well with 2much2luv!)

#193 of 234 Old 01-26-2004, 04:19 PM

What a beautiful name! Congratulations!
#194 of 234 Old 01-26-2004, 10:17 PM

Congratulations, 2much!! I can't wait to read your story. Enjoy your babymoon!
#195 of 234 Old 01-27-2004, 12:39 PM

I am still digesting the birth but here is a rundown.

I woke up Sunday morning thinking “This is the day” Found my mucous plug first thing. Contractions were different now (I had been having regular BH for a week or two) so I timed a bit and they were 5 minutes apart. I sent Ryan and the girls to church, telling Ryan today was the day. He was so excited. I puttered around while they were gone, blew up the pool, getting supplies out, cleaning up a bit. But three hours later there was no increase in intensity or timing so I was getting bored.
The whole day went pretty much like that. I would walk around for awhile to try and get things moving then decide things weren’t moving and try to rest a bit. The contractions would be anywhere from 3 to 10 minutes apart. Basically it was a boring day. I was expecting too much and really wish I had relaxed all day. Another big regret is that I was holding back on eating expecting to get hard labor any moment. I was too caught up in comparing this to my last labor, but it turned out a lot different. Followed the same pattern but a lot slower. Anyway, I wish I had eaten more.
The girls were crazy all day, they knew something was up. Ryan finally got them to sleep around 9:30 and joined me. Contractions had picked up in intensity around 6:00 or so and started coming quicker, every 3 minutes or less, when the girls were asleep. I really had to work now. My other “regret” from this UC is having Ryan stay up with me all this time. I wish I had let him sleep till midnight or so . Anyway, I had him hang around but do other things (play his computer game) because I really didn’t want to be watched. He would rub my back as I leaned over various things (birth ball, rocking chair) during contractions. This went on for awhile, hard work but still fun. Then around 2 or 3 things started getting hard. I think I hit transition and stayed there for awhile I think. I was weepy and tired and hungry. It was so difficult. I was in the water most of this time because it offered a small amount of comfort. Ryan was pouring water down my back during contractions. I leaned over the edge of the tub trying to get my body to just ride with the contractions, vocalizing a lot. During this time I reached up to check my progress frequently. I felt a head which was sooo exciting for me. I had never felt a baby inside me before through my vagina. That was really neat. But I couldn’t tell what the cervix was doing. I was just waiting and praying for that urge to push. And it came. I don’t know the exact time but I really wanted to push so I did. I was very worried about pushing to soon, swelling up my cervix and making the labor drag out longer, so I held back as long as I could and then pushed with all my might. God that was intense. Felt her crowning after a few pushes(I was in the water still) and then her head was out. I remember feeling a little ear and chubby cheek and getting excited, remembering that there was a baby coming through all the pain.
Her head was out for what seemed like forever. I am guessing it was a minute or so. I tried pushing a couple of times but the shoulders just wouldn’t come out. I was worried about her head out under water so long so I climbed out. I tried semi squatting and on my knees upright because I really wanted to catch her. But finally I just flipped around, put my hands on the edge of the tub and told Ryan to catch. I pushed with all my might because I was getting worried having her halfway out so long and out she came. Ryan “softened her fall” hehehe he says because she was a slippery little noodle. But I flipped over and scooped her up.
These were the scary moments for me. My other two girls were born with eyes wide open but Eden was asleep, limp and unresponsive. This had been my great fear through the pregnancy..my only fear with doing a UC. Giving birth to a dead baby. And here she was limp and lifeless. I was slightly freaked out I’ll say. I started rubbing and talking to her. I jumped back in the tub with her for some reason, maybe thinking the water would wake her up. Ryan was very calm the whole time which was reassuring. I never thought of calling for help. Her color was good and I knew that the cord was giving her what she needed. I just really needed to see her alive. So I rubbed her and talked to her and she started gurgling. It had probably been about 20 seconds, but it felt like forever, YK? Anyway, I got out of the tub and sat with her on the rocking chair rubbing her more with a towel. She cried a little bit so I felt better and kind of left her alone. I was a little concerned because she was gurgling a bit, but she was clearing it all out just fine.
I squatted over a bowl about 20 minutes after the birth and birthed the placenta. Her cord was so short. We put the placenta on a chair right in front of the rocking chair where I was holding her. I offered her the breast but she was mostly sleeping still. After awhile I handed her off to Ryan so I could go clean up. When I stood up a lot of blood poured out of me. I took some sheperds purse and got in the shower. I cleaned up and got into bed. I got up to use the toilet and lost a heap of clots and blood. I got some black spots in front of my eyes and had to rest for a minute when I stood up from the toilet so I took some more sheperds purse when I got back in bed.
I could go on and on because the after story is just as interesting as the birth...meeting the siblings, breastfeeding, sleeping, lol. But that is basically the story.
This birth seemed so much more painful than my last, but I am thinking now that it was just longer. With my last I was in active labor for about 6 hours. This time I think it was more like 10 hours. Last time I was in transition for about 15 or 20 minutes. This time I think it was a couple of hours. Anyway, I wish I had compared less to my last birth because this one was different.
I was so disapointed in myself during the last hours of birth and just after. I felt like a failure. I hated giving birth, I was ready to get my tubes tied. I thought of all the birth stories I had read of people who had great spiritual experiences and personal growth and that didn’t feel like me. I just know it hurt like hell. My bonding was put on hold a bit too. I felt an immediate connection but the magic of the first few moments wasn’t there because of my fears. I did have that magic a few hours later though, looking her over, admiring every detail. Anyway, I felt kind of down for awhile but as the day went by and I thought things over I realized how succesful I was. I didn’t have a painless birth, but I had my birth the way it was meant to be. I did it without a thought of calling a “professional” in. I had enough faith in my body and my baby to have my UC, though I still have a long way to grow in that area. But I have come so far from my first birth, induced in the hospital and all the other dependence on doctors I had back then. Anyway, I have just seen that the growth and spirituality of birth, for this birth anyway, comes afterward in reflection, and that is ok.
I have a lot to reflect on during my babymoon.
Eden Elizabeth, 9lbs 22 inches, of perfection. Nursing great, pooping a lot for dad.
Thanks for reading.
Beth
#196 of 234 Old 01-27-2004, 01:24 PM

#197 of 234 Old 01-27-2004, 01:27 PM

You did good. And just think how extra stressed you would have been with someone else bringing their fears and emergency vibes into it.

It sounds like the baby was never anything to worry about, just a variation of normal. It's not unusual for the baby to take a minute to start breathing, and that whole time s/he's still receiving oxygen from the umbilical cord.

Your wooziness, honestly, sounds normal too. You know how when you give a pint a blood they have someone right at your elbow? The blood loss affects some people more than others, especially if they've been under some stress. Plus, you had been physically exerting yourself just before that. I don't want to downplay the seriousness of hemorrhage, it is something to be aware of and prepared for, but in your case it sure sounds like your body handled third stage fine.
#198 of 234 Old 01-27-2004, 01:28 PM

HOw awesome, 2much!!!! Congratulations and I love her name! Very pretty.

I just wanted to add that I too was surprised at how, well, non-orgasmically spiritually aligned :LOL I felt, post-birth w/ds. (It was our first freebirth) But as you said, you did great and it is such an acomplishment, especially in our dr. dependant culture. You trusted yourself and your baby and that is HARD to do!!

ANyway, happy baby moon. YOu did wonderfully!!!
#199 of 234 Old 01-27-2004, 02:02 PM

Beth thank you so much for sharing your story. You did good mama. Your daughter has such a beautiful name. Wishing you a peaceful babymoon.
Brandi

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

#200 of 234 Old 01-27-2004, 04:48 PM

Thank you for sharing your beautiful birth story, it is very inspiring.
#201 of 234 Old 01-27-2004, 05:00 PM

2much2love; congrats! Sounds like you're happy labour is over. I can't wait till labour is over again for me, so painful. But your daughter is lucky to be born with only her parents and no one else "unneccessary".

I've been wondering.... how do you weigh the baby? Do you rent a scale from the hospital? Do you use something else? I really want to know how big my baby is going to be, not two days later... KWIM?
#202 of 234 Old 01-27-2004, 07:21 PM

2much2luv-- What a strong birth story! You are a strong mama! Your daughter is so blessed to have such a peaceful entry into the world. Sounds like you did just what you needed to do.

Welcome Eden!

#203 of 234 Old 01-27-2004, 11:55 PM

I am sure that all of these questions have already been anwered somewhere on the site already, but I can't seem to find them, there are just so many postings!!!!

I am wondering about prep for uc -

what do you have for cutting the cord?

is there anything, in combination with nursing, that can help the placenta deliver - I had to have pitocin with my first for the placenta and really want to avoid that!

thanks so much for the info, I am so glad that there is support like this out there!
#204 of 234 Old 01-28-2004, 12:34 AM

This thread is getting a bit long...

We used white children's shoelaces to tie off the cord, and a new pair of scissors to cut, both sterilized in boiling water (10 minutes) and then stored both in a sealed plastic baggy until we needed them. I don't know though if it's even really necessary to tie or clamp the cord, if you wait until it is completely cold and limp to cut it. Anybody else?

Angelica can be used to help separate the placenta and any remaining clots; sheperds purse is popularly used to control bleeding. There is more discussion about herbs for hemorrhage here: http://gentlebirth.org/archives/thirdstg.html and in Susun Weed's book A Wise Woman's Herbal for the Childbearing Year.

Personally, I didn't have any herbs on hand, expecting breastfeeding or nipple stimulation to take care of expelling the placenta and firming the uterus up. As a last resort (before going to the hospital) there's always uterine massage.

And of course did what I could to avoid hemorrhage in the first place, i.e., good nutrition, natural labor, and no managment of second or third stage (meaning no pushing until mom has urge, no cutting the cord before it's cold, no cord traction, no uterine massage before the placenta has been birthed, etc.)

Why did you have to have pitocin?
#205 of 234 Old 01-28-2004, 02:08 AM

there is an old way of doing it (my father told me his mother did this after an unplanned freebirth w/her last child, he watched...) You can stick your finger down your throat to make yourself gag and this helps the placenta come out. Just another trick, so to speak, to put in your bag.

I didn't have any trouble w/the placenta either time, though they gave me a pitocin shot the first time as well. We had herbs for hem. but that was it. HTH, and yes, like Blueviolet suggested, get susun weed's book for more suggestions....love that book!
#206 of 234 Old 01-28-2004, 02:23 PM

If you can find it (it is out of print) is Childbirth Wisdom by Judith Goldsmith. It is a collection of stories and birth info from around the world, mostly indiginous cultures. It has lots of wonderful info and are mostly unassisted births. It has info (the cough and gag thing is in there too!) on what to do when certain instances arise in the birth process, though very rare. A wonderful book if you can find it.

So how is everyone doing? I have been quiet on the boards of late, but am finding my voice again. I was in a pretty anti-social mood all around. I find I have been worrying too much lately in regards to my midwife. I have seen her once, but have yet to share my wishes of being left alone for birth and most likely the remainder of my pregnancy. She is not someone I can just fire, she is my mentor, I attend births with her! Anyway, I just need to remember it is my birth anyway. I guess I just worry of being cut off completely, without backup, because I would like to have a backup that does not involve the hospital, though I really do not believe I will need any. I just have problems confronting people I guess. I ran into her ex-assistant and kind of mentioned unassisted and she said she knows how she would feel, that she would not be totally comfprtable with it, but would be willing to sit in the other room. I don't even want that. I just want to be left alone! Thanks for listening, I am just kind of rambling, trying to sort everything out. One wonderful thing is that dh is supportive, I think he would like to have the midwife there, but wants me to be able to do what I want.

I am so thankful for this thread! I enjoy the monthly threads on the pregnancy board, but don't feel like I fit in there, and am hesitant to post about my birth wishes. Thankfully I can here!

blueviolet-I have been meaning to tell you for a long time, that I love your site and visit it often. Thank you for doing that!
Brandi

reading.gif

love and light

#207 of 234 Old 01-28-2004, 03:36 PM

Hi Mommas

I wish I had more time to thoroughly read this whole thread. What a great birthstory 2much2love, I think you did wonderfully. My UC was darn painful too, and the transition just as hard as the transistions for my two hosp births. Once I had Liam in my arms though I accepted it as a matter of course. He too made me a bit nervous with all the gurgling he did at first but was fine.

Anyways, here I am expecting our fourth baby sometime in august. I was pretty certain we were pregnant from the night we concieved, but Dh wasn't so convinced lol, and finally a month later I produced two lines for him to see on a test, which was just last week. A month ago I was a little disappointed, we were trying to not get pregnant, but now I'm thrilled, and I really think this is going to be our last one, which makes me a little sad.

I feel great other wise, little nausea now and then, but nothing like dry heaving or throwing up, and already I think I've gained a few pounds. I only need a little powernap most afternoons to keep me going till bedtime. I'm working on cutting the sugar down and out and cut down to cups of joe in the morning, and am getting back into my version of the brewer diet. I've been looking for a prenatal yoga dvd, I haven't done much yoga since our VCR broke last year, and I rather miss it. I wonder how with three little kids I'll manage to get out for walks and whatnot...I"m laughing at myself because I sold all but three old worn maternity garments and anything I used for diapering NB through mediums. I also tossed the moses basket (It was kinda broken tho) the one piece of baby furniture I actually love. Now I get to start all over again.

I'm dreading breaking the news to family, because even though I "proved" them wrong last time, I now live near my mother again, and she's an LPN and very medical minded and the only way she "got through" my last pregnancy 800 miles away was to pray to G-d that he'd see me and the baby through and that it was in his hands.I hope that didn't offend anybody, I just felt that my hard work and faith in myself and nature was what got me through, but anyways.. My Dad will flip out too, especially since our financial sit. went from bad to worst. I just don't feel like dealing with it at all. Of course, nothing they could say could make me change mind lol. I've been the queen of my castle and am not going to go back to be a serf at the lordsmanor/hospital LOL.

i have to go, i hope to check back soon. Best wishes to everyone.
#208 of 234 Old 01-28-2004, 03:46 PM

Congrats Jesse!
Brandi

reading.gif

love and light

#209 of 234 Old 01-28-2004, 04:53 PM

Brandi, I'm glad you've found it to be of some use!

Jesse, good to see you! And congratulations!

There's a possibility I'm pregnant too, I thought that back in October too and I was wrong (possible early miscarriage though), but this time I have typical symptoms as well as my period being late. Been tired and emotional, nipples sensitive. If it is PMS, it would be unusual for me (usually I only get mild cramping in my abdomen.) Also, two of my good friends have been "hexing" my uterus. : :LOL This would be a good time, too, because I'm finally feeling like if I got pregnant I would be totally accepting of it. I'm not going to test, though, so it might be a few more months before I know for sure.

Mamajaza, for some reason I just noticed your question... Anyway, yes, we did weight the baby. We were going to use my FIL's produce scale (he's a melon farmer) but there was something wrong with it, so we didn't get to weigh her until the second day, when a midwife friend brought over her hanging scale.
#210 of 234 Old 01-28-2004, 10:26 PM

Hi guys,
I finally posted my birth story - here is the link

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...hreadid=111351

Thanks to everyone for their support and peaceful birthing vibes/congrats to everyone

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page