UC Sypport thread - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 234 Old 01-28-2004, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Way to go, Girl! And congrats to our other new mamas that I haven't had a chance to congratulate. Y'all have all done great!

Tracy, doula and Army wife and homeschooling mama to A and E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#212 of 234 Old 01-28-2004, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by blueviolet

We used white children's shoelaces to tie off the cord, and a new pair of scissors to cut, both sterilized in boiling water (10 minutes) and then stored both in a sealed plastic baggy until we needed them.
Not a UCer, dont' play one on tv. But had to check out the thread to see how thechrysalis' birth went! Congratulations!

Anyhow, I'm at a birthing center, and about 2 times a year, someone doesn't make it in, they just have the baby at home, it goes so fast. Usually moms who have had many many babies already, they just take it in stride.

The last time, we went to them after the mom called, and they had done the coolest thing; they had used two big barrettes to clamp the cord. The metal kind, they are flat in shape, the bottome piece slides under the top piece, and then they make a slight bend. I'll see if I can find a picture. Anyhow, it was perfect. Very creative.

Thought I'd throw that out there!

Lori
#213 of 234 Old 02-01-2004, 01:24 AM

congrats!! thechrysallis!!! great job.

also congrats to Jessemom and possible congrats to blue violet!!
#214 of 234 Old 02-01-2004, 03:56 PM

Congrats to everyone whose baby has arrived!

How is everyone else doing?

I am surprised at how huge I am already this pregnancy. Already I'm as big as I was when DS#1 was born. I guess that is what happens when you grow four babies in 6 years?! I can feel there is only one baby in there, so I'm not thinking twins, but yikes, I'm going to be gigantic. This baby is head-butting and kicking my ribs and bladder a LOT. I guess so I won't forget s/he is there! LOL.

Anyone know when the 3rd trimester starts? I am 25 weeks and my pregnancy wheel includes that in the third trimester, but it seemed kind of early to me. Maybe I am just in denial about how much longer I have.

I'm feeling very good about our plans to UC. Also feeling curiously content with not relying on anyone else to tell me what is going on inside me. I didn't expect that.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#215 of 234 Old 02-01-2004, 05:41 PM

Welcome, Jessemom! Wishing you a happy, healthy pregnancy!

Thechrysalis -- thank you for posting your birth story, it was as strong as you are! Gentle sweet babymoon wishes!

Blueviolet -- Let's hear it for the beauty of our bodies! Growing a new life or not, the female body is wonderful! I very much admire your faith and confidence in that things will be what they will be. Peace and fertility wishes to you!

I had my first round of BH this week that had a pattern and increased in duration and frequency. (I did that quite a bit during my last pregnancy, too.) They started off 6 mins apart and every hour or so dropped a min in between. I got down to 2 minutes apart lasting for a minute. I was so thankful that I didn't get all excited about it like I did during Jude's pregnancy. Every time it happened, I'd think it was IT! This time I just went with the flow and accepted that this is how my body does 3rd trimester. It's true no birth books seem to talk about it, but that's what my body does! Anyone else heard of this?

I remember with Jude's pregnancy I was so concerned that I wouldn't know when I was actually in labor, since my BH had patterns and were close together. But, since my water broke before my actual labor began, it was pretty clear. This time I'm really hoping my bag of waters stay in tact until the baby is just about born. That would aid my desire for UC, since I never felt pain during Jude's birth until the last hour (transition). Any suggestions on strengthening bags of waters?

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#216 of 234 Old 02-01-2004, 07:26 PM

Sending out healthy baby growing vibes for you lovely pregnant mamas.

With my last pregnancy I was worried about my water breaking early for some reason and my midwife suggested Vit E.
#217 of 234 Old 02-01-2004, 08:32 PM

Oh, thanks 2much2luv, I have vit E in my cupboard. I'll take that! Vit E certainly can't hurt! Also, I'm envisioning an easy labor with my water breaking just before the baby is born. So, with your last pregnancy, did you take the Vit E and when did your water break? Are you enjoying your babymoon? Eden is just so beautiful!

#218 of 234 Old 02-01-2004, 10:55 PM

Limit your vitamin E intake. I mean, don't take excessive amounts. Some midwives I know feel it can cause the placenta to be reluctant to detach from the uterine wall, increasing the risk for post partum hemorrhage.

A strong bag is grown through good nutrition. Also, premature rupture of membranes is associated with vaginal infections, particularly bacterial vaginosis. So if you think you have a vaginal infection, get it taken care of asap, one way or another (meaning whether you take a medical route, homeopathy, herbally, etc).

Just wanted to throw that out there! Hope it helps!

Lori
#219 of 234 Old 02-01-2004, 11:10 PM

I haven't read this whole thread, but I thought I'd add in that I agree with Lori about a strong bag being grown through good nutrition. I drank fresh greens and juice throughout my pregnancy and I also read that zinc makes your bag strong, so I tried to get enough zinc. I also didn't want my water to break until the end! It didn't either! Ds was born in the caul and my midwife said my bag was so strong it was hard to tear!
Good luck with your UC's!
#220 of 234 Old 02-02-2004, 12:20 AM

Claire, I know a woman who advocates vit. C. She had a leak in her BOW, I don't know, somewhere around 33-34 weeks in her last pregnancy. She upped her intake of C and it healed up and she went to term. It does sound to me like nutrition is the key if all these different vits/minerals are effective.

Well, my UC is getting close. I am 35+ weeks now. I'm starting to feel ready. Well as ready as you can feel. I've got pretty much all my supplies assembled. I realized in the past few days that I didn't really have any clothes for the baby. Okay, that sounds ridiculous, I know. I mean, I kind of knew, but I had been focused on other stuff. For a while I had been thinking that I would be covered if it was a boy, since we have boy clothes. But then I realized that we don't have any WARM clothes for a nb of either gender. Ds was born in mid-April and there just weren't many cold days after he was born.

So I've been on the lookout this weekend, but of course I had forgotten that the stupid baby clothes manufacturers expect that you can buy clothes for babies a season ahead. What is up with that? If I had a brand new baby today I wouldn't be able to buy any winter clothes for it cause they already have the swimsuits out at Babies R Us! I realize that that might not be the case yet in say, Maine, but I bet they still put the next season's stuff out way early, right? I mean, do they really think that EVERYBODY finds out the gender and buys all the clothes ahead of time? What if you have a preemie?? Ugghh.

I found some really cute stuff online at a resale shop. I only needed a few things, really. I mean how much will we go out in the first month? So I'm just about ready.

Anybody else getting ready and getting close? I've finally started having BH ctx in the past 2 days. Lots! Hadn't been having any at all. Anyone feeling at all nervous about going through labor again? I'm just hoping that if mine hits like a tidal wave again all the preparation I've done will allow me to relax as much as possible.

Hope everyone is well--this thread has been pretty quiet. Maybe we should start a new one since this one is getting so long?

#221 of 234 Old 02-02-2004, 02:17 AM

:LOL Ok, let's see, Vit E, not too much, not too little, good nutrition, treat infections, greens, good nutrition, zinc, Vit C and good nutrition. Ok, ok, I'm laughing at this point. :LOL

Ask, and you shall recieve... a lot of information!

Thank you wise women for the info! Now, I need to see which seems like the answer for my body. Hmmm... I trust the answer will come. Thank you for the leads.

Wow, Tracy, you are close. That's so exciting. Oh, wait, I realize I'm 34 weeks, so I'm just a bit behind you. Wow! We are getting closer all the time! Glad you found some good wintery clothes. Resale does seem like the best place to look at this point! Unless, of course, your newborn gets invited to a pool party in the middle of March!

I think we should restart this thread, too. It's too long for someone who just wants to join. Maybe restart it quarterly or something? Anyone want the honors of starting anew?

#222 of 234 Old 02-02-2004, 03:17 AM

Sorry, but I'm going to intrude on your uc thread! I hope you are all doing well in your pregnancies,
I will follow this thread from now on and if any of you have questions, I will try my best to answer and help out.
I know that I had a lot of questions about uc'ing while I was pg!
#223 of 234 Old 02-02-2004, 01:23 PM

What a neat idea for the cord, andrea.

To answer your question, I did take vit E in the last tri and my water was broken by my midwife when I was dilated to about 8. I can't believe I told her to break it. I was just impatient and she said it might speed things up. Anyway, getting ot.
I was worried about it because i had sprung a leakwith my first dd at 41 weeks which led to my induction.
#224 of 234 Old 02-02-2004, 02:03 PM

andrea88,

First, what a beautiful baby you have!

Her cord tie looks much longer than the one I made last week. Did you find that to be a good length? I would not mind making a new one. Also, I'd been wondering if I needed 2, since they use two cord clamps in the hospital. Anyone know if this is just to keep the mess factor down? Or do I need to tie off the placenta side as well as the baby side?

Of course, I realize that we may not need it at all as there may be no blood to speak of by the time we get around to cutting the cord.

#225 of 234 Old 02-02-2004, 05:03 PM

Tracy, you do not need to tie off the placenta side if you wait until after the placenta is born to cut the cord. Basically the only reason they clamp that side is in case there is an unexpected twin connected to the same placenta.
#226 of 234 Old 02-02-2004, 10:15 PM

Well, heavens, I would never have guessed that! Thanks, blueviolet!

#227 of 234 Old 02-03-2004, 01:54 AM

I asked this before and would love to know how you knowledgeable moms have weighed your UC babies once they are born???

can you rent a scale at the hospital? saying that you want to see how much boob-milk your baby is drinking, or something...
#228 of 234 Old 02-03-2004, 12:22 PM

Mamajaza, I don't know if you saw my response before, but we used a hanging scale like midwives do. If you don't know a midwife you can go to post-natally, you could buy one, but they are expensive. We tried a produce scale -- my FIL owns one, but it didn't work, and had to borrow a hanging scale. I have heard of people using grocery store scales. If I were going to go that route I would probably go some place where they might be inclined to be friendly about it -- maybe a health food store.
#229 of 234 Old 02-03-2004, 12:24 PM

For anyone who has subscribed to this thread and doesn't visit the homebirth board often -- a new UC Support thread has been started!

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...hreadid=112500
#230 of 234 Old 02-24-2005, 02:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello everyone, thought I'd chime in on the conversation. I am not pregnant right now but am recovering from my 2nd sucessful UC. During labor I made sure to drink lots of electrolyte juices mixed with a little of Bach Rescue Remedy and almost immediatly after I ingested homeopathic arnica pellets to help relive soreness. chammomile pellets are also good and help baby relax as well as you. One precaution my husband took(he's my midman) was to cut the umbillical cord long(6 in) or so in case baby had problems and needed to be hooked to an IV, which blessed be, we never needed. not sure if this is helpful just thought i'd contribute.
#231 of 234 Old 12-02-2006, 01:58 AM

Artemesia: Did I read right,the LLL leaders were a little unfriendly? Have only ran into that once and it was sort of a higher income group. I say this quietly because this is certainly not true of all. As a past leader, one of the things I enjoyed most was the diversity and open non-negative communication. We all enjoyed each other, supported and welcomed new members. Oh my, sometimes, somedays you just have to smile and find rainbows! UC'd on #7, and still wish I could do the other six over!! I'm grinning, we caused a large ripple in our midwestern town of 3000. Enjoy reading these threads. Everyone, Happy Holidays et PEACE!!!!!!
#232 of 234 Old 12-03-2006, 03:38 PM

UC here too! Baby number three, inspired to uc after having an umc. I had a hb with my MIL last time and one hospital birth. : around second week of April.

I love all the woman here! Very edcuated ladies that can answer any of my questions. All the birth stories and topics are grand. Just a place for support and love.

Midwife & Mom to Gracen 9 luxlove.gif, Avery 6joy.gif Urijah 4superhero.gif Greta Sue, 9-9-10babyf.gifuc.jpg  Oh Baby! 1sttri.gif Due in April

#233 of 234 Old 12-04-2006, 12:24 AM

Wow, blast from the past! This is the very first UC support thread, resurrected!
#234 of 234 Old 12-04-2006, 03:07 AM

I was thinking, Oh Wow! Indigolilybear is having another baby... or NOT..when I finally noticed the date! I was so confused about the twins born in April of 04, and yet their mother didn't think she was built for twins.

How cool, to see the beginning of it all

lizzie

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page