honey for perineum healing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-03-2009, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not a UC'er, but I thought I'd post it here anyway since some of you ladies are pretty knowledgeable about natural remedies. I had a homebirth 5.5 weeks ago and had a couple of borderline 2nd degree tears that received a few stitches. They are still a little sore occasionally and I had my midwife look at them today and she said they were still red and not healed and she thought they were infected. She sent in a culture and said I'd probably need topical antibiotics but I'm wondering if there's anything I can do while I wait for the results of the culture. I've heard that honey is supposed to be good for wound healing...has anyone tried honey for perineum healing? Anyone know if it would be safe for infected wounds?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2009, 03:40 AM

I'm not sure about the honey, but some diluted tea tree oil in a peri bottle may help the infection. If they are closed over but not healing homeopathic calendula cream would do well to help with the healing. A quick internet search shows this website that gives several herbal options as natural antibiotics http://www.reikinurse.com/naturalabx.html
Old 01-03-2009, 06:05 AM

Firstly, congratulations on your birth!
I wouldn't use honey. My husband's cousin used it on her tear and the infection just got worse despite anti-biotics. Dr's couldn't work out why until she told them she had been 'helping' the healing by applying honey. The area down the is very hot and moist and the sugar in the honey feeds the bacteria. Modern honey is obtained by heating it to get it from the honey comb & to remove the impurities. This destroys all the beneficial enzymes and bacteria that give it it's healing properties. Honey is only anti-biotic if it is pure, raw honey and even then should be applied to wounds that can be aired easily to prevent the sugars feeding the nasties.
Good luck!

Peace loving VEGAN Crunchymumma to praying for another real soon!
Wake up! There's a slice of VEAL in every glass of milk!
Old 01-03-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
Not a UC'er, but I thought I'd post it here anyway since some of you ladies are pretty knowledgeable about natural remedies. I had a homebirth 5.5 weeks ago and had a couple of borderline 2nd degree tears that received a few stitches. They are still a little sore occasionally and I had my midwife look at them today and she said they were still red and not healed and she thought they were infected. She sent in a culture and said I'd probably need topical antibiotics but I'm wondering if there's anything I can do while I wait for the results of the culture. I've heard that honey is supposed to be good for wound healing...has anyone tried honey for perineum healing? Anyone know if it would be safe for infected wounds?
I've read that it works wonders.

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
Old 01-03-2009, 04:38 PM

From what I understand, it has to stay on the site constantly, and it needs to be a good raw honey, manuka's even better.

Are you taking extra vitamin c (sodium ascorbate, preferably)
Old 01-03-2009, 07:01 PM

It should be Manuka honey 25+ if you can get your hands on it, preferably raw and organic, though it's pretty difficult to get. My mom swears by it for healing all sorts of skin troubles and actually my uncle is heading a research team investigating the use of manuka honey to heal 2nd and 3rd degree burns, and says it's magical stuff.

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
Old 01-05-2009, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susumama View Post
Firstly, congratulations on your birth!
I wouldn't use honey. My husband's cousin used it on her tear and the infection just got worse despite anti-biotics. Dr's couldn't work out why until she told them she had been 'helping' the healing by applying honey. The area down the is very hot and moist and the sugar in the honey feeds the bacteria. Modern honey is obtained by heating it to get it from the honey comb & to remove the impurities. This destroys all the beneficial enzymes and bacteria that give it it's healing properties. Honey is only anti-biotic if it is pure, raw honey and even then should be applied to wounds that can be aired easily to prevent the sugars feeding the nasties.
Good luck!

I tried it and I think it gave me a yeast infection. Trust me, you don't want that right now! You probably need something stronger, but some triple antibiotic cream from the drug store might not be a bad idea.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

Old 01-05-2009, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnAir View Post
It should be Manuka honey 25+ if you can get your hands on it, preferably raw and organic, though it's pretty difficult to get. My mom swears by it for healing all sorts of skin troubles and actually my uncle is heading a research team investigating the use of manuka honey to heal 2nd and 3rd degree burns, and says it's magical stuff.

I've read some studies about this, it's really exciting. Antibiotic resistance is a big problem and raw honey (esp Manuka honey which is made by bees that feed from this plant that gives it enhanced bacterial killing properties) can be used as an alternative. It even works on MRSA. I'm just not sure it is a good idea for use in this case, because of the sugar in it and the moist environment.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

Old 01-05-2009, 05:25 AM

Manuka is still a great option, it even helps fight candida when eaten because it naturally produces hydrogen peroxide. I've heard that good raw honey doesn't feed yeast, but I could be mistaken. The manuka tree is the new zealand version of the australian tea tree.

User Tag List