Cervical Lip - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-03-2009, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a huge concern of mine.

It looks like I may have to UC after all. Not that I'm completely disappointed with this. Deep down, its what I've wanted. And, our situation seems to be leaving me with very few choices.

That probably sounds bad. Sorry. I know you ladies here understand. I've read that a person shouldn't UC *just because* of financial reasons. She should do it because she truly desires to do it. I'm guessing, zero fear of this decision confirms UC is the right choice.

Ideally, I'd like to have someone in the next room to be my back up. I'd rather that than to have to transfer to a hospital.

I've actually found a MW thats willing to travel and is supportive of UC. Only, she recommends a safety net. She is 4hrs away.

But I fear her sitting in on a false labor only to have to return 3 weeks later.

My biggest problem with people being at the birth is ME trying to entertain them and loosing focus on my labor.

With my other births I've managed to sell something to pay off the MW, delivery, birth materials and gifts for all my attendants. Two cars, land, and this time we were hoping the 'profit' of our house after closing will pay for all this.

The house was suppose to close in Nov. . The date was bumped up to Dec. . The buyer's lender won't give them a loan because they had an appraisal appraised the house 20k below our asking price. This is fishy because the tax appraisal is 10k ABOVE our asking price! We're willing to walk away even just to avoid foreclosure. It doesn't look like its going to work out that way.

Its not going to matter. Foreclosure is going to proceed in the next few days anyways. sigh.

On with it, I had a cervical lip with all three of my homebirths. The MW had to push the lip over the baby's head.

With dd (birth 3) MW screamed at me to stop pushing because I was pushing my uterus out. The cervical lip was still over her head.

I did not give birth to my uterus, thank goodness. But I gave birth to her in 2 minutes. She had to act quickly to get the lip out of the way.

Deep down, I think I rushed it because (this is going to sound soddy and pathetic) I didn't want to be a burden. I wanted to get it over with so I'm not taking too much of their time. I know, I know, time that I paid them for.

My last birth, I pushed before dilation was complete. And once again MW had to push the cervical lip over the baby's head or else I'd give birth to my uterus along with the baby. But this time, I rushed it (not realizing how dangerous it was) because I wanted MW and everyone else to leave but didn't have the heart to tell them to leave because I was already 9cm and she lived 20 min. away. Everyone else lives much farther than that.

I can't bare the thought of not being able to pay for a safety net when hiring someone. That would be like stealing services. Unless a miracle happens with the house, there is no way I'll be able to come up with the money in time to pay off a MW, & the birth kit in time before the birth.

I'll feel better if I could get over this fear in hopes this will open the door for a safe delivery unassisted.

Anyone here know what the deal is about a cervical lip? How to avoid it? What to do? I really don't want to be delivering my uterus.
#2 of 13 Old 01-03-2009, 12:15 PM

I have had a cervical lip with all three of my births as well. With #1, the doc told me to push even though I had a lip. Everything went fine. With #2, it resolved itself once I broke my water and the baby's head was more applied to the cervix. With #3, I felt my cervix once I felt a pushing urge and it was probably 2cm wide and only about 60% effaced just on one side. I panted through the pushing urge and let my uterus do the work. I asked DH to break my water and the baby's head came down better and was more applied to the cervix. I DID not push at all with that birth, only let my uterus push for me. The lip must have resolved itself again because she was born just fine.

In each case, my water was not broken at the time I had the lip. With all three, once my water was broken, the lip resolved itself. In all three births, my water was broken intentionally. #1, the hospital did it. #2 and #3, I asked DH to do it. With #2 I had a lip for four hours and it was awful. Within about 5 minutes of me breaking my water with that one, I had a normal pushing urge and baby was born within 20 minutes. With #3, I asked my DH to break it much earlier and transition was about 15 minutes that time, then about 15 minutes of NOT pushing after that--daughter was born.

I'm wondering if it would resolve if you would NOT push? That would almost certainly keep you from "pushing your uterus out." It would also give your body a chance to apply the baby's head to the cervix enough to push it past.

Another consideration if you are interested is to learn about how to help a cervical lip. Maybe you and DH could learn together what to do? I know my DH has checked my cervix in two of my labors and I have found it helpful. I don't imagine it would be that much harder to gently hold the cervical lip for the baby to pass through. Just my opinion.

Best birthing wishes.
#3 of 13 Old 01-04-2009, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you augustacherri

Your wisdom is refreshing!

I feel tons better now.:
#4 of 13 Old 01-04-2009, 01:06 AM

I think there are really two issues here, maybe three.

1) You feel you have to entertain your "guests" who are really not your guests at all! When you give birth you have to totally let go of the outward focus and just concentrate on your body and the baby, that's it. *If you had an attendant present after all* could you maybe set some ground rules with them before you go into labor? To remind you that you don't have to entertain them, or some such?

2) You're concerned because you have a history of pushing against a cervical lip and don't want to have a uterine prolapse. Did you have a real premature pushing urge? Are you sure it wasn't just a pushy feeling that encouraged you to bear down? (Sometime that does away with the cervical lip.) Did they find you to be dilated and then you felt you had to start pushing? Basically, were you left to labor on your own, and when your "I have to push now!" feeling came on by itself, did they then find out you had a lip? Or were they checking you and perhaps subconsciously pressuring you?

I don't know if that is absolutely clear, but what I'm getting at is that perhaps it's not inevitable that you would have another problem with a lip. You hinted in your post that you pushed because you felt obligated to. I know the feeling; with my first MW I was highly suggestible and pushed just because she told me to, not because I needed to. With my UC I pushed when I wanted to and it was a LOT less effort. I wasn't working against my body but with it.

Basically I would try to re-analyze exactly what happened in those moments of your pushing stages and ask yourself how you feel about that. How would THOSE births have gone, possibly, without you feeling you had to rush it? Did the baby seem to be in the rush or were you really straining?

As far as the financial situation goes... . I too couldn't afford to hire a back-up midwife. It all turned out well in my case though. Hope it's the same for you. Way too much stress for you to be under right now.
#5 of 13 Old 01-04-2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustacherri View Post
I'm wondering if it would resolve if you would NOT push? That would almost certainly keep you from "pushing your uterus out." It would also give your body a chance to apply the baby's head to the cervix enough to push it past.

Another consideration if you are interested is to learn about how to help a cervical lip. Maybe you and DH could learn together what to do? I know my DH has checked my cervix in two of my labors and I have found it helpful. I don't imagine it would be that much harder to gently hold the cervical lip for the baby to pass through. Just my opinion.
I was also going to suggest those very two things. You just said it better than I could have!
#6 of 13 Old 01-05-2009, 06:37 PM

I too have had a cervical lip with almost all of mine- we are expecting our 8th in early March. Last time when I felt the urge to push I found out quickly that I had a cevical lip b/c I felt it right in front as a defined area of pain with pushing. (I have always had anterior cervical lips). So, I reached my hand in gently (with a very quick snip on my middle fingernail to keep from causing more pain then I found the lip easily b/c it was the only spot that felt well, like a thin but slightly soft puffed lip, on the edge of the baby's head. With the next contraction, I used that middle finger to hold it back while I gently pushed past it. It did hurt more when I did this, but was followed by an immediate relief of that well defined area of pain. Now she was a bit on the small side at 6 lbs, so came completely out in that one push. However, my 9 lb daughter also got pushed out while my midwife held an anterior cervial lip out of the way. It did hurt worse when this happened, but was always followed by immediate relief and easier pushing. BTW, some of mine came out posterior, and some anterior, but the cervical lip was there with all of them. I don't know what caused it, as I moved around and never stayed in one position- mostly walking and upright. Maybe some people are just more prone to cervical lips. Best of luck for your UC- and if you find you have the cervical lip maybe my story will encourage you.
Chantel
#7 of 13 Old 01-06-2009, 06:38 PM

I had a lip with my first baby, but looking back I know it was because I spent way too much time in the tub, laying in one position. I do think having other people present also disrupted my flow of when to push, too, which I'm sure is a factor. My 2nd two labors, I was upright the whole time, moving around (gravity working in a balanced way on my cervix, not lopsided), and I never once had another person tell me to push, or it was time to push, or well, tell me anything, lol. My body pushed involuntarily when it was time (I swear I didn't exert myself one bit, my body did it all on its own) and babies came out in a just about three involuntary pushes. Technically I don't know if there were lips in those instances, since I didn't have anyone checking, but it all seemed much easier and more natural being on my own.

Basic advice: move around a lot and keep your hands outta there, lol.

Kelli, radical unschooling mama to four beautiful homebirthed lovies (ages 14, 9, 5, and 19 months) 
#8 of 13 Old 01-08-2009, 12:51 AM

I did quite a bit of research on this for a friend who's UC I'd be hanging out at. One suggestion I read here on the Birth Professionals forum was if you suspect a lip, do 4 or 5 contractions while on your hands and knees. 4 or 5 lying on your right side, and then 4 or 5 on your left side. This give time for each side to have reduced pressure from the head and/or to allow some of the lip to recede.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#9 of 13 Old 01-11-2009, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i had a lip with my second and third births- with the second the midwife made me lay on my back while she (felt like to me) raped me to push it out of the way- this hurt way worse than any part of wither of my natural births. with my third i found a hands off midwife who never touched me- i checked my self and felt a lip (had urge to push) and i massaged it out of the way (which felt wonderful!) i felt the lip move, water break and head desend all at my fingertipe in a matter of a few seconds- it was an awesome experience!

mdcblog5.gif   Liz mama to DS 10, DSS 9, DD 6, DS 3, DD 2 , Aquila- dec 19th 2009 died at my homebirth, and....welcome Willow born 9-16-10 (9 weeks early)  nut.gif
#10 of 13 Old 01-11-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz-hippymom View Post
i had a lip with my second and third births- with the second the midwife made me lay on my back while she (felt like to me) raped me to push it out of the way- this hurt way worse than any part of wither of my natural births.
Same here. I felt so violated by my midwives. Laying on my back was so excrutiatingly painful coupled with her hand manipulating my lip. I refused to let her continue. Your next experience massaging your own lip sounds wonderful.

It is hard for me to read the above posts. It triggered a much needed cry and angry realization that my midwives were not treating me the way I should have been treated.

To the OP: I am not sure how to avoid a cervical lip, but I am going to talk to some mw friends. If I find out anything I will post. Good luck!
#11 of 13 Old 01-16-2009, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

WOW!

All of you have provided incredible information!

I feel so much better. I really do.

I'm a whole lot more confident now. Thanks everyone.

I'd like to try NOT pushing and really be in tune with my body. Thats why its hard to have others around because it is so distracting. My ds2 missed the last birth and he keeps saying he wants to be there for this birth.

I really hope I can stay focus so my instincts will kick in.
#12 of 13 Old 01-17-2009, 10:14 PM

I felt a cervical lip with my #3, UC. I chose to push on it, but dont think I 'had' to. Your uterus is attached in several places... I doubt it would just fall out!

I have contemplated cervical lip many times, and I wonder, if, just if, it's like other things in birth and many, many other things in life :

if you attempt to observe something, what will you see? Perhaps if you look at something during its transition [no pun] (like a cervix almost moved away) then that is what you will see, something midway along its way to somewhere else. Had you not looked at - [or had a vag exam to become aware of] said circumstance...perhaps you would have never even known it was ever like that?

Example: my girlfriend had a high -risk preg. -so they U/S all the time. At one point- they told her her baby had a heart defect not seen on her baby before...but that that kind usually resolves by itself.

What that sounds like to me : Is that if you werent looking - you would have never known that said item was ever in such a state. That its a normal step in the process...and it just barely ever gets seen that way - so through critical eyes, it appears 'wrong'.

Love and hugs and TRUST being sent your way
#13 of 13 Old 01-17-2009, 10:44 PM

i hope you get the birth you want and dont feel rushed or like youre putting anyone out! im not having my house foreclosed because i dont own one, but literally have les than 50 bucks to my name and cant get medicaid, so i see how you feel in a roundabout way about not being able to pay someone, though i want to and have wanted to uc since i got pregnant with my first when i was 17.

you know....you can move your cervix out of the way as well, especially if youre upright if you think its an issue. your uterus wont just come completey out with the baby. prolapse is a possibility, but it doent just come completely out because youe pushing with a lip..and not in the way most people would think, like youll suddenly have an organ on the outside with a babe in it, either.

were you pushing because your body wanted to or because SHE wanted to? that will make a huge difference, as well as your feeling more comfy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page