no fetal movement at almost 18 weeks, should i be worried? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-12-2009, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know a lot of people say they dont feel movement until this point or later anyways, but lemme just say why I'm concerned and tell me if i'm crazy please!

started feeling fluttering around 12 or 13 weeks, and movement every day/night since 15 weeks. The last time i felt movement was in the middle of the night friday night and it was the most movement i've ever felt ALL night long.
I had a stomach bug and was getting sick- and b4 I would get sick the baby would FREAK OUT-it felt like i had a 10 pounder in me doing backflips, and then when i was finished, she woudl get calm again, then freak out again before the next upheaval.
Since the last time i was sick i have felt NOTHING and i've been trying and trying to focus and talk to her and see if i can get anything adn nothing at all.

then just a bit ago i went to stnad up and got a horrible cramp in my side, but that could've been nohting- though I was doubled over in pain for several minutes.

I'm more concerned about teh lack of movement, only b/c it's so out of the ordinary. Is she just reacting to my having been sick?
I feel like at the very least she's upset at me about teh whole thing- like "how dare you make my home so unpleasant mommy!"

Anyways- I dont really know what i'm looking for. just advice or anything.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009, 05:55 PM

Lie down on your side for an hour or so after you drink some ice cold juice (or another sugary drink). Maybe poke at her a little. How long has it been since you felt anything? It's possible to have some quiet days... But do keep an eye out for it.

And I was having terrible sudden cramps in the second tri; it was all ligament pain. The fact that you say it was in your side and it happened when you stood up makes me think that's what it could be for you too.

ETA: Do you know where your placenta is hanging out right now? The cramping pain wasn't near it, by any chance?
Old 01-13-2009, 12:11 AM

I would try to prod some movement or a fetoscope and if that didn't work I'd get checked out via doppler.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
Old 01-13-2009, 03:29 PM

I'd try the things the pps suggested, but yeah, no movement for several days would worry me. If you don't feel her soon, go get checked ot.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

Old 01-13-2009, 04:03 PM

I felt "something" as early as 10 weeks this time and then again once or twice a week until around 17/18ish weeks. Then I had a gap of a couple of weeks. Now at 21 weeks there's plenty of movement. Retrospectively, I had a growth spurt in my belly but I think perhaps my babe is just catching up now.
Let us know how you go

grateful Mama to DD May '06 and DS May '09
Old 01-13-2009, 04:38 PM

I agree with the advice of ice cold juice, gentle prodding, and lying on your side to see if you can get movements. Of course, I remember how stressful not feeling movements for a period of time was, I would up going to get a u/s with my daughter for that reason. Turned out everything was fine, however.... I did spare her a lot of my stress chemicals by getting it checked out.

love & light
Fury K.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:47 PM

you can also try chocolate. a lot of babies go wild after eating chocolate. but really if i dind't feel anything after trying these things I would soncider listening for the heartbeat too.

there are times though that I don't feel baby move as much for a while. and then days where I feel like a punching bag.

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

User Tag List