growing a smaller baby?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 01-19-2009, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#1 was 10,4- I experienced shoulder dystocia and I tore (didn't heal well).
#2 was 8,10 (a girl!) and came out fast without me pushing.
#3 was 9,7 and no problem to birth, no tear.
#4 was 10,12 and was VERY hard to birth at every point. 48 hours ACTIVE labor. I realized after working so hard to get baby around pubic bone that I was going to have to work even harder to get the baby out. I tore pretty deep too.

Thinking ahead...wondering how I can grow a smaller baby that it still healthy? My last one was too big FOR ME- I was concerned about both of our health and wouldn't want to do that again. Half a pound can make a huge difference. I would like to have a baby no bigger than between 9 1/2 and 10 pounds. I am a vegetarian who eats fish...I eat very very well but I do eat a lot of milk and cheese during pregnancy. Any ideas?? Would absolutely no sugar make a difference??

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#2 of 27 Old 01-19-2009, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wonder if you might have a minor sugar issue? Were there differences in your diet between your pregnancies with your smaller babies and your larger ones? For instance, did you have a preference for fruit/veggies with one and junk food with others or something? That might make a bit of a difference, possibly...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#3 of 27 Old 01-19-2009, 07:47 PM

I would cut the cheese and milk, pronto. I put on 45 lbs with my last pregnancy, 20 of which never came off, and most of that was from dairy. You don't really need THAT much calcium, and if you did, you could supplement with tablets. Theres an awful lot of fat in dairy, but it isnt mentioned much....and what sugar you eat makes a big difference as well. I think it is stored a little differently during pregnancy. Many processed foods have both MSG and hidden sugars, both of which will put on the lbs, especially on the baby.
#4 of 27 Old 01-19-2009, 08:06 PM

You could trying following a low glycemic index diet, making sure you get enough nutrients for the baby, of course.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#5 of 27 Old 01-19-2009, 08:10 PM

I second the recommendation for cutting out dairy. If you are concerned about calcium - an easy way to get it is in soy milk. a 8oz glass of Silk has 30% of a regular persons (not preg) daily req.

I have big babies - all but first - 11 lbs. @42 weeks. not a problem for me though. We considered a trip to The Farm with #3, and did a phone consult. They recommended to remove dairy too.

Carbs in general, (grains and sugar) can be a weight gainer. I know I know..so no dairy no grains...what does a veg eat?!?!? Shoot for whole grains. Many of us pregnant ladies cant take "no sugar"...so at least try healthier sugar (ha!) make it yourself, like evaporated cane juice, maple syrup, honey, agave etc. Less refined a bit better on you.
#6 of 27 Old 01-19-2009, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
If you do cut down some on dairy may I suggest not using soy to replace it, but bone broth instead? It's very healthy and mineral rich without the downsides of soy. Just simmer any bones (fish included) in water with some lemon juice or vinegar overnight or longer, save the broth and toss the bones, and drink it hot or make soup with it. And what dairy you do eat/drink, be sure it's full fat so more of the calories of it are fat not sugars.

I've been told that you should avoid high doses of sugar especially in the last trimester to avoid excess weight on the baby. And that sugar cravings are really protein cravings in disguise.
#7 of 27 Old 01-19-2009, 09:08 PM

I dont know much about this, but you mentioned the milk thing and i agree that could definitely be putting on the pounds, PLUS if you're not drinking organic milk it could have growth hormones in it that are possibly playing a factor in the baby's size (just a guess here).

As for the calcium, i've read many places that you can get more calcium from broccoli than from milk.....
#8 of 27 Old 01-19-2009, 09:31 PM

JamieCatheryn: I know alot of people have a 'beef' with soy - but as with everything else on earth- there are 2 sides to everything. It came to me off the top of my head as a 'dairy' replacement. There are lots of other alternative milks, hemp, hazelnut, rice, almond, etc. I drink it regularly - and It's what works for my family/our food sensitivities.

This site:

http://www.nutritiondata.com/

Is fabulous. you can search for items by any which way. I did a search for "highest calcium" & "lowest calories"... and take a scroll thorugh there.

Good luck!
#9 of 27 Old 01-19-2009, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

I run hypoglycemic in pregnancy. I'm awful sick in the first four months and eat a LOT of cereal with milk, cheese toast, peanut butter toast, cheese and crackers, and fruit, brown rice with bragg's...but the good food just doesn't go down well. Then the next five-ish months I'm eating Indian food, steamed greens, Mexican food, lots of veggies from our garden, hard squashes, root vegetables...so better. I usually want sweets, but now I use strictly agave in my house and it feels a lot better- doesn't jerk me around like sugar.

It's great that you think the ideas I have might work! Thank you, and keep the opinions coming!

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#10 of 27 Old 01-19-2009, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It sounds to me like you are eating really well. I would agree that the most important thing to cut out is sugar, and to watch serving sizes on carby things like fruit and grains. I would keep eating dairy, personally, but I'm a big fan of raw whole milk.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#11 of 27 Old 01-19-2009, 10:32 PM

I was actually wondering the same thing but didn't think to ask. This is all GREAT info. I've had 2 c-sections with 9.9 and 9.8 babies. I want to vbac this one and was thinking a smaller baby couldn't hurt. My lifestyle is much healthier now but there are still a lot of suggestions here that will help me hone in on a few problem areas. It will be interesting to see if my new lifestyle really makes a difference in weight.

Kim
#12 of 27 Old 01-19-2009, 10:36 PM

My first two children were between 7 and 8 pounds. My third was over 10 pounds and had shoulder dystocia. The only difference in my diet with my third pregnancy was that I ate more sugar. I drank soda about once a day or every other day and I also ate a fair amount of chocolate. Can you check your blood sugar? Maybe if you could see what it is doing it would give you an idea on whether it is causing part of the problems. I gained less weight with that pregnancy than the other two.
#13 of 27 Old 01-19-2009, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

A small part of why I want to have another baby is to see what happens if I try these things...

and the rest of why is that, well, I love babies!!! (esp mine!)

I checked blood sugar with #2 and #3- I checked first thing in the morning, then ate a GOOD, big, well balanced meal, then checked an hour later. My levels were the same both times, both were low (under 100) which means my body hardly recognized the food! So I always feel starving and end up eating a lot of apples, treats, cookies, etc... in between the good stuff.

#14 of 27 Old 01-19-2009, 10:47 PM

No dairy of any kind from 36weeks on....none
nada
zilch
zero
nothing.
Don't even try and sneak it by.
Tricia

momma to 7
:
#15 of 27 Old 01-19-2009, 11:54 PM

This is a really interesting thread!

I have to admit I myself have been curious if I could grow a smaller babe. All of mine have been approx. 9, 10, 11, 2 @12, and my last at 13 pounds. But the thing is my last baby (and also my heaviest) was the easiest one to birth. She was my quickest (less than two hours) and my very first painless birth.

I mention this because I don't think size always means more difficulty. It might be possible that even if you do not grow a smaller one next time, it could still be your easiest birth.

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#16 of 27 Old 01-20-2009, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

True, mama in the forest...you never know what you're gonna get!! Smaller does not mean easier. But for me, that's been the rule so far, so it's worth it to me to try, for sure.

I know that when my last one was born, his head came out and then it didn't turn (restitute) like it normally does...so then his shoulders were born almost square, lined up almost like mine instead of sideways like usual. I don't think he had room to turn his body inside, but he fit okay (besides tearing me) that way and didn't risk a shoulder dystocia (getting his shoulder caught on my pubic bone). So I'm glad for that. It's really wild to see the video, because I couldn't just feel that that was what was happening.

and TRICIA- why no dairy from 36 weeks? You think it would be okay/safe before then??

#17 of 27 Old 01-20-2009, 03:47 AM

I just want to second the idea that it's not so much about the baby weight, but about the positioning. I had a 10 pounder and a 10.5 pounder, and they both had identical head and chest measurements to my mother's largest baby (8 lbs 11 oz). They just had more fluff.

I had a heck of a time pushing #1 out due to his big head, but had the 2 hour super fast easy labor with DD. It also helped with her, I think, that I had her on my hands and knees.

With that said, if I ever had another child, I would focus on cutting the sugar as much as possible from my diet, as well as monitor my protein intake. The midwives wanted me to have 85g of protein per day, which I think was more than I needed.

I cut significant sugar and calories from my 2nd pregnancy, but still gained 45 lbs and had a huge kid... I don't drink anything but water, don't eat most junk food, eat almost all whole grains... but I do eat chocolate and the occasional home baked goods.

I recommend making the diet changes you think will work for you, but also plan for another big baby, and think about OFP and birth positions. Good luck! I'd be curious to hear more from people who figured out the smaller baby trick for themselves, just in case I need the info someday...
#18 of 27 Old 01-20-2009, 09:36 AM

Not a uc'er but saw this in new posts and wanted to add my experience....I had 2 dd's that were average little 8lbers. Then ds came along weighing in at a little over 10lbs. and had SD.

The only difference between the 2 was that with ds I ate a LOT of dairy and I also juiced my own organic vegetables which consisted of a lot of carrots....which are really high in sugar.

So for me I am thinking it was the dairy and the sugar from the carrots. I ate really horribly for the first tri with him and then after that I ate pretty well, I craved protein, not so much sugar...but maybe it was because I was getting so much "hidden" sugar from the carrots!

I do agree with the op's though. In *most* cases it's all about positioning. I think for me like you said it was just a tight squeeze for him. He had big measurements on top of being a "fluffy" 10lber.
#19 of 27 Old 01-22-2009, 07:42 PM

following along

I failed to say/agree about position of you and your baby before birth/during labor...

It is (for almost all mothers) not natural to have a baby laying on your back. Most shoulder distocia events, handled by midwives, in-the-know Doc's or naturally by mom just choosing to move, and done so by mom turning over to all 4's (hands knees) or squatting.

I also failed to say I have had 4 babies... 9.5, 11, 11, 11 on the dots. I did notice in 2 of my labors where i was not in a all fours or knees on floor leaning forward on a bed for example I could feel baby's shoulders sitting on pelvis. I moved a bit and out they came.

I also think hydration has a lot to do with the actual birth. We all know being dehydrated lets everything get 'sticky' tissues aren't juicy and flowing... so I could see dehydration (hospital with no water...hmm....) playing a role there on top of laying supine.

My personal suggestion to anyone with a sticky baby in the past...try water birth. Wiggle your hips.. even just the slightest circular motion / or side to side would be helpful! This I have experienced personally as well with my last - 11 lbs, 1.5 hrs labor, posterior baby.
#20 of 27 Old 01-22-2009, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

I never lay on my back. My first SD I was on the birth stool. My other babies were born on all fours or in a leaning forward sort of squat I could sit up and easily recieve my baby. I did tons of birth positioning exercises before birth, and did tons of rocking and hip circles in labor and while pushing, changed positions, got on all fours, etc...he was just BIG for me, really he was.

Check him out at birth!

http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=DSCN7379.jpg

#21 of 27 Old 01-23-2009, 02:03 AM

I had blood sugar issues with my 2nd and 3rd. I did the 3hr GTT w/my second (I studied for it) and "passed" but she was still 9-10.

I UC'd my 3rd, so no worries w/ the GTT, but I did have big baby/hypoglycemic baby concerns, so at about 28-30wks I borrowed a glucometer to keep an eye on my blood sugar.

Wow. Since I wasn't seeing any symptoms, I was really, really surprised with how bad it actually was, and how hard it was to control. I maintained iffy control with no sugar, no dairy, no refined carbs and v. limited fruits. It made me wonder what my numbers looked like during my first two pregnancies.

I still had a 10-2 baby. Some babies are big without showing symptoms of macrocosmia--he wasn't. I was so concerned with him that I had a midwife friend help me evaluate his condition for the first week.

I loved my UC--the whole experience--but based on my blood sugar issues & what I saw in my baby, if I did it again, I would start with the finger sticks earlier and seek medical help if I couldn't maintain better control on my own.

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
#22 of 27 Old 01-23-2009, 01:01 PM

jenny - after reading your posts and looking at your baby... and your sig... I bet you and your baby are just fine! If you ask me, I would like to have a 'smalller' baby, but perhaps thats just how you do it? It seems the same in my case...

our love and good smooth pregnancy thoughts to you and your family!
#23 of 27 Old 01-23-2009, 07:13 PM

I'll be the odd duck and NOT recommend cutting our dairy UNLESS you are lactose intolerant/allergic. I would suggest switching to raw dairy from a reputable source if at all possible. and only organiz dairy. the hormones in non-organic dairy cause weirdo growth patterns in all people including babies in utero.

Other than that I would consider a blod sugar issue. perhaps not "gestational diabetes" but perhaps glucose intolerance. did you eat a lot of refined/sugary carbs with any of the babies? that will pack on the pounds quickly. when you're a vegetarian it's so easy to overdose on the carbs and sugars. esp empty ones. fruit is great for you when eaten in moderation, but too much just causes blood sugar problems. Your body only needs to much fruit per day.

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#24 of 27 Old 01-24-2009, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for your thoughts-
I think that if I were to do it again, I would watch the carbs, no sugar, and cut dairy about halfway through.

We'll see if I get to try this out...??

#25 of 27 Old 01-24-2009, 08:57 PM

I learned this great advice for eating/snacking when you're pregnant. Whenever you're hungry,

- eat something whole grain
- eat something with protein
- eat something raw

Once you've eaten these 3 things (so, for example, you could have some raw celery, some nuts, and a few whole grain crackers) then you can eat something else.

Like everyone else, watch out for empty carbs and sugars. I think dairy is a tossup; it does have a good balance of fats, sugars, and proteins, but of course eating too much, especially in the form of calorie-dense cheeses, could pack on some extra weight.
#26 of 27 Old 01-25-2009, 02:14 AM

i can't remember what book/books i read this in (a natural pg book....aviva romm maybe???), but there is more of a correlation of how much you eat/gain *in the first trimester* that *probably* determines how big your baby will/can be.

for me this was the case. with #1, i barely ate anything for the first 6 months of my pg, but pigged out the last tri, and had my 6 lb 6 oz dd. with #2, i ate CONSTANTLY in the 1st tri and barely anything in the 2nd and 3rd tris, and he was 8 lb 6 oz. now, i do know/believe that subsequent dc are *usually* bigger than the 1st. and boys are typically bigger than girls, but taking into consideration my hx, my mom's hx, and pretty much all the women in my family, an 8 + lb baby is BIG.

but still, #2 was 2 lbs bigger than #1.

all these factors, for me, tend to support that theory. if i can find what book that was in, i'll post it, but i'm not sure i will, since i lent almost my whole collection to a pg friend!

just thought i'd throw this in the ring!
#27 of 27 Old 01-25-2009, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixafreeze View Post
I learned this great advice for eating/snacking when you're pregnant. Whenever you're hungry,

- eat something whole grain
- eat something with protein
- eat something raw

Once you've eaten these 3 things (so, for example, you could have some raw celery, some nuts, and a few whole grain crackers) then you can eat something else.
great advice! i really like it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page