UC Emergency Preparation...? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 01-26-2009, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am having my first UC in about four months and need some advice I've had one baby, in the hospital. It was a fast, easy birth, they cut me a bit as he was 8lb, 3oz. No pain meds. We're committed to having this one at home if at all possible. Here are my questions:

1. How do you know if the baby is in distress?

2. What if the baby is born not breathing, or with the cord around her neck?

3. How would I take care of a tear 'down there' after birth?

4. Should we/ can we monitor the baby while I'm in labor?

5. What about my immediate 'after care' such as cleaning up and so forth? Can I just snuggle up with the baby and my fiance and sleep or is there a lot to do right after the birth?

6. What happens if I don't birth the placenta all the way?

7. How do I know if my after-bleeding is too much?

THANK YOU in advance for your responses!!! I'm really looking forward to doing this, but need some practical advice. BTW, I'm 24 weeks preggers.

:

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 01-26-2009, 08:24 PM

1. How do you know if the baby is in distress? During your labor, you might not know, unless you are monitoring the FHTs. Passing thick meconium is a sign of fetal distress.

2. What if the baby is born not breathing, or with the cord around her neck? Cord around the neck is not a big deal. Unwrap it. If the baby is born not breathing, I like WHO's document on resus.

3. How would I take care of a tear 'down there' after birth? Depending on the severity, you would let it heal naturally, encouraging healing by staying in bed, or you could transfer for stitching.

4. Should we/ can we monitor the baby while I'm in labor? You can monitor FHT with a doppler or fetascope. Practicing during your pregnancy will help you become familiar with what you are listening to, if you do plan to monitor. You should have an idea of what normal is, and what abnormal is:http://www.who.int/reproductive-heal...s_S95_S96.html

5. What about my immediate 'after care' such as cleaning up and so forth? Can I just snuggle up with the baby and my fiance and sleep or is there a lot to do right after the birth? Not much to do. Get yourselves dry & warm, make sure you're not bleeding too heavily. If you feel okay, and baby is breathing easily & nursing, you're good to go (or sleep.)

6. What happens if I don't birth the placenta all the way? Sometimes you retain a bit of membrane. They tend to come out in the day or two following the birth. You would just want to watch for signs of infection (bad smell, feeling "icky", fever of more than 100.4)

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
#3 of 27 Old 01-26-2009, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

I really appreciate that You covered all my questions in less than a paragraph! Thanks again!

Also: How do I know if the amount of blood afterward is normal? Last time, with my son, I bled off and on for a couple weeks. I remember soaking through the giant pads within a couple hours. So how much is 'too much'?

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

#4 of 27 Old 01-27-2009, 03:04 AM

More than two cups of blood is considered PPH. You may find these "cheat sheets" very useful for UC. I printed them out and had them ready just in case anything varied from normal.
#5 of 27 Old 01-27-2009, 03:57 AM

Also want to add that I know of a midwife who uses colloidal silver for minor tearing. Just hold (or have dh) hold the tear together and put a few drops of colloidal silver on and it will start to adhere together. Had a friend that this midwife did this with and it worked great!
#6 of 27 Old 01-27-2009, 04:02 AM

i dont really have anything usefull to add but

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajahkat View Post
3. How would I take care of a tear 'down there' after birth? Depending on the severity, you would let it heal naturally, encouraging healing by staying in bed, or you could transfer for stitching.
one really obvious thing that no one told me beforehand is if you have a tear and are letting it heal naturally dont sit cross legged. it will take forever to heal if you do that.

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

#7 of 27 Old 01-27-2009, 01:54 PM

you can buy dermabond from some places online. sutures, too for that matter but thats a little harder to deal with if you dont know what youre doing. dermabond is just super glue.
#8 of 27 Old 01-27-2009, 02:41 PM

Purchase the book Emergency Childbirth: A Manual by Gregory White.

This book answers many of your questions. It's intended audience is emergency and medical workers who might have to assist a woman giving birth in an emergency situation, but it really simplifies the process and goes through the basic problems one might encounter and what to do.

I read the book and then had my husband read it, as well as my Mom who was at my house for the book. Then, I skimmed through it one more time in the last few weeks before birth and then put it with my birth supplies, just in case.

It went a long way to giving me the peace of mind that we were aware of possible complications and would know what to do if they occurred, and had a "cheat sheet" in case we got at all panicky.

Good luck with your upcoming birth - wishing you a beautiful and blessed, peaceful UC!

fly-by-nursing2.gif~Amy, Wife to E, Happy Momma to K 4/04, L 11/05, E 8/07, V 1/10, and J 10/11

#9 of 27 Old 01-27-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyMae09 View Post
I am having my first UC in about four months and need some advice I've had one baby, in the hospital. It was a fast, easy birth, they cut me a bit as he was 8lb, 3oz. No pain meds. We're committed to having this one at home if at all possible. Here are my questions:

1. How do you know if the baby is in distress?

2. What if the baby is born not breathing, or with the cord around her neck?

3. How would I take care of a tear 'down there' after birth?

4. Should we/ can we monitor the baby while I'm in labor?

5. What about my immediate 'after care' such as cleaning up and so forth? Can I just snuggle up with the baby and my fiance and sleep or is there a lot to do right after the birth?

6. What happens if I don't birth the placenta all the way?

7. How do I know if my after-bleeding is too much?

THANK YOU in advance for your responses!!! I'm really looking forward to doing this, but need some practical advice. BTW, I'm 24 weeks preggers.

:
Ok, here's my $0.02:

#1 get a doppler or stethescope and use it to monitor FHT like pp said.

#2 ideal would be to learn infant cpr. second best is to put your mouth over the baby's nose and mouth and suck gently to clear the airways. then if baby still isn't breathing blow gently on their face (not directly into their mouth, but just generally over their face to startle them into breathing gently) If that still doesn't work, then I guess you would need to know infant cpr.

other #2 just unwrap the cord. if you can't unwrap it, try to birth the baby through the loop. if it is stuck tight then try to tuck baby's head close to moms yoni and somersault baby out, then unwrap. I have heard of people clamping and cutting the cord if they can get a clamp or string in there, but i wouldn't recommend it unless it was a severe last resort. there are more solutions for this common glich, but you will have to google, as i can't think o them right now.

#3. Tears. I have had minor skid marks, a 3rd degree, and none. I had one midwife who recommended honey for tears as is is antimicrobial and adhesive, and doesn't sting. the 3rd degree i called in a more experienced midwife after the birth to do the stitching. It was pretty badly placed though, and was bleeding more than i cared to lose since i have low blood pressure. tears are less common i think with uc anyway.

#4. see #1.

#5. you only have to do as much as you want after the birth. you can do a full cleanup, cut cord, dress baby, shower, whatever, or you can just wrap baby and you up in towels, wrap the placenta for a lotus birth, and lay down on something like a flannel backed vinyl tablecloth until you are ready.

#6. like pp said, look out for signs of infection. BF, BF, BF immediatly after birth. and if baby won't cooperate, then stimulate nipples yourself, or get dh to if you have significant (like you can tell it was broken, or it doesn't come out at all) peices still left after about 30-45 minutes, then you should probably get up and go pee. if that doesn't work then you could try some herbs for retained placenta. my brain is not sure about those right now so i won't name any to be safe. just look around mdc at retained placenta herbs.

#7. anything more than 2cups is considered a hemmorage. now some people can lose that, or slightly more and still be ok without help. so it depends on your personal size and blood volume. mine is usually low, so if i think it looks like it is getting close to the 2 cup mark, then i buckle down and try to get it to slow. some people are ok sith more than that though, so know your blood pressure, pay attention to your iron levels (just by feel, not necessarily by testing) and keep a good blood volume and you should be ok to lose a normal amount with no problems. again, BF,BF,BF to clamp down those blood vessels and get that placenta out within a reasonable amount of time. have some herbs on hand is good like shepards purse. I have read that the most surefire way to stop bleeding that is not caused by a stuck placenta is to eat a peice of the placenta. I have only kept this idea as a back up, and have never needed it yet, but i figure it would be better than bleeding to death, or having to trapse down to the ER in a bloody puddle and listen to all the "you should have known better!s".

good luck!
#10 of 27 Old 01-27-2009, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

This is all VERY helpful. Thanks ladies

#11 of 27 Old 01-28-2009, 02:32 AM

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/pag...44&pageindex=1
heres a page on the somersault maneuver for a nuchal cord

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

#12 of 27 Old 01-28-2009, 07:35 PM

This will be my first UC. I have been encouraged by other ladies online to also get that Emergency Childbirth book and DH and I will be taking an infant CPR course. The CPR course is great to know anyhow. It is nice to have a sense of security that if anything happened during birth or when my children are older that DH and I could handle a breathing situation. It is a wise idea all around.

Mama to DD(6) DS(4) DD(2.5)LO(due July 2012): and loving wife to my great DH
I praise and thank God for my familychicken3.gif

#13 of 27 Old 01-29-2009, 09:56 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#14 of 27 Old 01-30-2009, 12:42 AM

Those cheat sheets are AWESOME. So greatful to whoever put them together and thanks for the person who linked.

One question though, 2 cups of blood keeps being mentioned, but how does one measure this. Is there a gauge for instance of how many chux pads this would be or something like that? Or should I be grabbing the measuring cups from the kitchen
#15 of 27 Old 01-30-2009, 01:31 AM

Just wanted to comment on a few things on the cheat sheets:

1) Do NOT do artificial respiration as pictured (bending the baby in half). That is a very outdated technique from more than 6 decades ago and can damage the baby's internal organs.

2) While babies might not cry after birth, it is NOT normal for them to not breathe at all for 3-4 minutes as the cheat sheet states. The rule of thumb is that if, after about 30 seconds, the baby has still not breathed at all (either crying or just plain breathing, etc), you'll want to start mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. This involves placing your mouth over the baby's nose and mouth and gently but firmly blowing only the air from your cheeks--not anything from your lungs as that much volume could really harm the baby's tiny lungs--into the baby's mouth. If you're doing it correctly, you'll feel the baby's chest rise as the air enters its lungs. I highly recommend taking a neonatal resuscitation course, since it's not the same thing as infant CPR. Karen Strange is wonderful for that if you're lucky enough to have her come to your area!
#16 of 27 Old 01-30-2009, 07:46 AM

I just want to add that consuming a bit of the placenta right after the birth helps prevent excessive bleeding, helps the uterus contract, and gives the mom lots of energy, as well as helping to prevent PPD. It worked for me - didn't bleed much at all and felt fantastic PP.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#17 of 27 Old 01-31-2009, 06:46 PM

You can find a free e-book copy of Emergency Childbirth on the internet! These are all great ideas! I feel pretty confident about everything except gauging blood loss. I just know I'll be too busy with my new baby to keep an eye on things!
#18 of 27 Old 01-31-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl1678 View Post
More than two cups of blood is considered PPH. You may find these "cheat sheets" very useful for UC. I printed them out and had them ready just in case anything varied from normal.
There is some really old, outdated information on these cheat sheets that could cause more harm then good.

Christa
#19 of 27 Old 01-31-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Faith View Post
Those cheat sheets are AWESOME. So greatful to whoever put them together and thanks for the person who linked.

One question though, 2 cups of blood keeps being mentioned, but how does one measure this. Is there a gauge for instance of how many chux pads this would be or something like that? Or should I be grabbing the measuring cups from the kitchen
I read a recommendation to use 2 c water with red food coloring and spill it on a rag to get an idea of what 2 cups looks like. Makes sense.

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
#20 of 27 Old 02-02-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poxybat View Post
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/pag...44&pageindex=1
heres a page on the somersault maneuver for a nuchal cord

That is too cool!

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#21 of 27 Old 02-02-2009, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
I read a recommendation to use 2 c water with red food coloring and spill it on a rag to get an idea of what 2 cups looks like. Makes sense.
yeah, but how many drops would you use of food coloring?

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

#22 of 27 Old 02-03-2009, 11:03 AM

thanks for this great thread. i've had the same question but was never to write it all down in question form and make it coherent.
#23 of 27 Old 02-03-2009, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

riverview - no problem i'm pretty happy with it too!

#24 of 27 Old 03-24-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livnanismama View Post
You can find a free e-book copy of Emergency Childbirth on the internet! These are all great ideas! I feel pretty confident about everything except gauging blood loss. I just know I'll be too busy with my new baby to keep an eye on things!
Where can I find this?

Also, what would one do if there is meconium in the waters?

Kim, wife to my best friend and high school sweetheart. :
Mom to DD1 (2/06) : and DD2 (6/09) :
#25 of 27 Old 05-17-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieHugger View Post
Where can I find this?

Also, what would one do if there is meconium in the waters?
BUMPING. I found the emergency childbirth PDF. But what about the meconium part of my question?

#26 of 27 Old 05-17-2009, 11:56 PM

What does 2 cups of blood loss look like? check out this previous UC thread.
#27 of 27 Old 05-18-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellnurse View Post
What does 2 cups of blood loss look like? check out this previous UC thread.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1074699

User Tag List