Eating the Placenta? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-27-2009, 02:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The chinese have been drinking teas made from placentas for over a 1000 years. It helps to replenish your kidney qi and blood which is drained from creating a baby and birth. The best way to prepare it is to clean the blood out of it, dehydrate it in a dehydrator and either encapsulate it or decoct it as a tea.

Self employed 38 year old Mother of one 5 year old super heroand wife to a lovely DH who is my hero..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugginmama View Post
I'm glad I came across this.

I encapsulated my last placenta and had a great recovery. I often wondered though how many nutrients were destroyed during the boiling and dehydrating.

Now I'm wondering if cutting the placenta in pill size chunks and just swallowing wouldn't be a better idea.

Does anyone know anything about this?

About the smell while cooking...I thought it smelled like venison. I had this crazy urge to just tear into it while I was cutting it in strips.
That is exactly what I did. Now I regret keeping some for the freezer, since I don't know whether the benefits were lost in the freezing process.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
Old 03-27-2009, 02:31 PM

I just wanted to say how much i'm enjoying this thread. I'm planning on eating this placenta since I've never done it before and I had PPD with my first and severe ppd with my twins. I remember just crashing 2 days after having my son and being unable to move and totally rejecting him. I def think stepping outside the box and doing something in my head is extremely normal and natural vs getting stuck on meds again is the way to go. It logically makes sense to me but it does squick me quite a bit. I think i'll have a couple pieces raw (dunked in ice water) immediately PP, maybe a smoothie with raw placenta and then freeze the rest for smoothies.

Here's a question. My ds's placenta was super calcified. It was purpley grey and he was born at 41 1/2 weeks. It actually crunched it was so bad. Is it ok to eat a placenta like that or is it just too far gone?

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
Old 03-28-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrebloom View Post
Here's a question. My ds's placenta was super calcified. It was purpley grey and he was born at 41 1/2 weeks. It actually crunched it was so bad. Is it ok to eat a placenta like that or is it just too far gone?
No idea, but I wanted to post this link again since it's probably buried now: http://placentabenefits.info/ I'm sure you'd be able to find some info there or email someone and ask!

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

Old 03-28-2009, 08:37 PM

I was going to eat mine, but didn't..

I've been vegan for quite some time, and spent months preparing for the meatyness of it but when it came time I just couldn't..

we do still have it in the freezer though

my oldest took it out a few months ago, thinking it was food, but luckily changed her mind about trying to eat it.. she forgot it on the counter though and it thawed out, leaving blood all.over, ewwww!

so...

Good luck, placenta munchin' mamas!

mischievous.gif
Old 03-28-2009, 10:08 PM

Yes you can lotus and eat your placenta. You just cut off your piece for eating. The baby doesn't seem to mind. I prefer mine cooked. Stew and stirfry are lovely.

User Tag List