My membranes just ruptured. Any last minute advice? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 79 Old 02-26-2009, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:

My membranes just ruptured around 9:40 pm tonight. I'm not feeling any major surges yet, but I feel amniotic fluid leaking every now and then when I move. Trying to remain calm and not get toooooo excited. Daddy brought the birth pool into the kitchen and it's ready to fill.

Depending how I feel in the next hours, I might come back to the computer to read and pass the time. If anyone happens to be up and reading this, if you have any last minute encouragement or advice (or humor!) please feel free to fire it my way.

(Hmmm... just noticed tonight that I've got the time setting incorrect. It said my last post was 11-something pm, but it's only 10:25 pm right now where I live.)
#2 of 79 Old 02-26-2009, 03:29 AM

SO exciting! I'm 41 weeks and WISHING that I was in your position. Remember to eat and drink and try and rest early on. Trust in your body and I can't wait to read your birth story!!::
#3 of 79 Old 02-26-2009, 03:32 AM

Woohoo! How exciting! Its a beautiful night to have a peaceful birth... And its all going to go just right. I can't wait to hear your story! :

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#4 of 79 Old 02-26-2009, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I actually didn't think of eating and drinking. Not hungry at all, had light dinner-ish snacks earlier this evening, but should get some fluids in me.

I understand the shoes you are in, Mollee. I felt so very discouraged coz I was fully expecting the pattern to continue, which went:

Baby #1: 10 days overdue
Baby #2: 5 days overdue
Baby #3: Half a day overdue
Baby #4: Three days early.
Baby #5: Five days early.

Imagine my dismay as ten days passed my due date till baby #6 was born. (I like the new term for "due date" I've learned lately of "guess date".) Ah, well, my dismay melted the moment he was out of my womb! May the same happen for you very soon.
#5 of 79 Old 02-26-2009, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

I was typing while you replied, Mtn.Mama... I wanted to add my thanks to you for your kind encouragement. What an affirmation: "It's a beautiful night for a peaceful birth." I like it!
#6 of 79 Old 02-26-2009, 03:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My advice: sleep

:

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#7 of 79 Old 02-26-2009, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weliveintheforest View Post
My advice: sleep

:
Yeah, I think I will go try that. I don't feel tired at all, though, as I'm usually up till at least midnight or 1 a.m. due to my work. I quit early tonight, though, figuring I'll get more done AFTER this baby's out of me as I am having such a hard time focusing mentally as well as reaching around the big belly to type.

OK, I'm heading for the couch to try to rest.
#8 of 79 Old 02-26-2009, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter

As I stood up a few minutes ago, I looked at the absorbent pad I've been sitting on. The fluid is kind of yellowish. Is that bad? I've never really paid attention to it in my previous births coz I was in hospital and frankly wasn't as aware of things as I am now. I've read varying degrees of concern about the color of amniotic fluid in relation to distress. Baby's still moving like normal as far as I can tell.
#9 of 79 Old 02-26-2009, 05:47 AM

congrats!

what an interesting difference of dates..!

im pretty sure yellow is fine....dont take that as definite but im pretty sure from everything ive read.
#10 of 79 Old 02-26-2009, 09:14 AM

Congrats and happy laboring! :

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#11 of 79 Old 02-26-2009, 11:50 AM

Yellowish is the normal color of amniotic fluid. "straw colored" is what is typically described.

I am thinking of you. YAY! How exciting

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

#12 of 79 Old 02-26-2009, 01:24 PM

hope you are happily birthing away!

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

#13 of 79 Old 02-26-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basmati View Post
As I stood up a few minutes ago, I looked at the absorbent pad I've been sitting on. The fluid is kind of yellowish. Is that bad? I've never really paid attention to it in my previous births coz I was in hospital and frankly wasn't as aware of things as I am now. I've read varying degrees of concern about the color of amniotic fluid in relation to distress. Baby's still moving like normal as far as I can tell.
Has it been that way since your water broke? Or did it change color?

Hope you're holding that sweet babe soon!

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#14 of 79 Old 02-26-2009, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Blissful Maia, I'm not sure if it was like that from the start as I didn't look at the pad underneath me till the next time I got up which was at least half an hour later I'm guessing.

Gossamerwindweb, yes, straw color would accurately describe what I've been seeing!
#15 of 79 Old 02-26-2009, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Update:

First few hours I was so excited and happy. Surges were sporadic and far between, though, at a rate of two to five per hour. I was surprised at how easy they were for me as I expected them to hurt like all my other past labours. Maybe that'll come later? Maybe I'm actually going to experience an easier labour now that I'm doing it at home and am so much more educated about it than I ever was when I blindly let the hospital staff "care" for me. Will be interesting to find out.

Right now, 15 hours later, all that's happening is the odd gentle wave, maybe one or two per hour. Amniotic fluid trickles out now and then so I won't be going out anywhere. Couldn't go for a walk if I wanted to with all the snow and ice where I live. At least it's a beautiful day so it's lovely indoors with the bright sun through the windows.
#16 of 79 Old 02-26-2009, 05:49 PM

Happy labor to you, Momma. I am so happy for you that you've reached that wonderful day when you will meet your little person!! Woohoo!!

It sounds like you're doing great....good luck and YYYAAAAYYY!!! :

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#17 of 79 Old 02-26-2009, 06:29 PM

:

Isn't it wonderful you are in your own home and not feeling 'rushed'?! Awesome!
#18 of 79 Old 02-26-2009, 07:25 PM

Just popped in to check on you and saw your response to me, thanks!! I go in and out of feeling frustrated and then just resigning myself to knowing that this little baby knows what she needs to be doing- and knows when she wants her birthday to be!

I do feel so happy for you that you are at home and on your own birth schedule with no pressure from doctors or nurses that want to move you out! Keep updating if you can!
#19 of 79 Old 02-26-2009, 08:20 PM

I hope all is going well and I am sending positive labor vibes your way!
#20 of 79 Old 02-26-2009, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Latest update is there's still no change. Been reading and resting lots, eating and drinking (wow, they wouldn't let me do that in hospital, would they!), feeling relaxed and happy, and the whole family is in cheerful spirits.

Re-reading sections of the first birth book I'd ever bought, 17 years ago, by Susun Weed, "The Wise Woman Herbal For The Childbearing Year"... paying more attention to it than ever before now that my birth care is in my hands. Very interested in the idea of blue cohosh. Might buy some tomorrow if still in waiting.
#21 of 79 Old 02-26-2009, 10:50 PM

congratulations!!

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#22 of 79 Old 02-26-2009, 10:58 PM

Thanks for taking the time to update us... Glad to hear you've had such a lovely day!

Its another perfect evening to have a gentle birth.

Cheers!

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#23 of 79 Old 02-26-2009, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
Thanks for taking the time to update us... Glad to hear you've had such a lovely day!

Its another perfect evening to have a gentle birth.

Cheers!
That has been such an affirmation to me, the perfect evening for a gentle birth, like this soft voice of comfort whispering the words through my mind. Thanks for repeating it!
#24 of 79 Old 02-27-2009, 04:01 AM

wishing you all the best! :

Stacy: Mommy 2: S, N, F, and : edd 1/12/11 praying for : or maybe : if DH will come around!
#25 of 79 Old 02-27-2009, 11:01 AM

: Hope you are holding your LO! :

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#26 of 79 Old 02-27-2009, 11:11 AM

Basmati...

Greetings to you....just in case you are still resting and waiting, wanted to let you know that I had wonderful results with cohosh while laboring with my little girl. She was in my arms 31 hours after my water broke...at around 20-24 hours after my water broke I started using the cohosh...really gentle...to the point where I don't even know if it helped...though, now that I am racking my brain to think about it...I beleive that after a few doses is when my surges started picking up.

I am so envious that you are abut to give birth...what a lucky day for you!! I hope it is full of warmth and peace and a NEW BABY!!

COngratulations....:

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#27 of 79 Old 02-27-2009, 12:11 PM

Basmati - wishing you a beautiful birth!

My sixth birth was my easiest & most peaceful...may yours be too.

:

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#28 of 79 Old 02-27-2009, 12:23 PM

:

Erica, wife to Jason (March 2002) . Mama to Ava (June 2003) , Jason Jr. [AKA JJ] (August 2004) , Lila (January 2009) , Maura (October 2010) , and a new person in December 2012!
#29 of 79 Old 02-27-2009, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenyd View Post
: Hope you are holding your LO! :
I'm wondering what "LO" is. Can someone fill me in here please?

Let's see... water broke evening of Wed Feb 25. Contractions off and on that night. Nothing all day Feb 26.

Serious contractions last night/early morning Fri Feb 27 from 1 a.m. till 4:30 a.m. Really had to focus on my slow and deep breathing during each one. They were usually 5-8 minutes apart. No more water leakage, but blood and mucus coming out.

Had a bath with Daddy during those early morning hours and never felt a bath to be so delightfully wonderful in my life. I kept saying how incredibly great it felt.

I went to lay down on bed and fell asleep off and on till 7 a.m. Contractions few and far between now.

I have been wondering if perhaps my body shuts down labour during the daytime hours because it knows it can't get the peace and relaxation it needs to really do labour properly, what with the other kids being up and about. Could it be?
#30 of 79 Old 02-27-2009, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
LO = Little One

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page