Story: Unintended UC last time - planning UC this time? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-28-2009, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was sent home after laboring in the hospital all day with no apparent progress. I was 3 days before my due date and feeling very ready to be in labor, but was told over and over that I wasn't in labor yet. Well, that became my mantra as we drove home and the contractions didn't slow down one bit. The nurse recommended I take a few Tylenol PM (she should seriously lose her license for this advice) and I would probably go into "real" labor the next day. I the contractions didn't stop, the Tylenol made me really sleepy, but I couldn't sleep and kept telling myself that I wasn't in labor yet, it was going to get worse.

At 1 AM, I was tired of the pain, but didn't want to wake up my poor husband who was totally exhausted from walking around with me all day. I took a bath/shower, dreaming of the huge, deep birthing pool at the hospital that I really wanted to be in. I decided, as the water began to run over the lip of my pathetically small bathtub, that I didn't really care if I wasn't in labor, I wanted to get to the hospital and get it over with.

Ever hear of the spontaneous fetal ejection reflex? That's what happened to me. I turned off the shower and opened the drain and pulled myself up. As I began to stand, I could feel a contraction building. It was a doozy and I felt like all the force of the universe was rushing through me... SPLASH into the tub went my bag of waters and SLAM my baby's head fell onto my cervix. I could literally feel the baby's head pushing aside all the extra tissue. I freaked out and yelled for my husband, saying my water had broken. While he called the hospital, I got down on hands and knees to make sure the cord hadn't prolapsed. I couldn't feel anything except the baby's head. No cervical lip, just a furry little head.

My husband came in, and I asked him if he could see anything (I was still in the tub on my hands and knees). He was freaking out and didn't know what to look for. He had my robe and a towel and was trying to get me out of the tub. Just as he helped me stand up, our two year old wandered in, confused and smiling. I stepped out of the tub and felt the baby shift lower. "We have to get to the hospital, honey!" my husband panicked.
"I'm not going anywhere!" I told him as another contraction pulled me down. Buy this time, I was holding onto the back of the toilet, legs spread in a wide squat. I was bearing down and there was not a single thing I could do about it. I kept thinking I was going to tear, I wasn't really in labor, there was no way I could already be this dilated, this was just not happening.

My husband was running back and forth doing who knows what. I yelled at him to grab the bulb that I had just happened to have sterilized during early labor.
"Why do you need this?" he asked
"Because you are going to need to make sure the baby doesn't have any fluid in its nose" I told him, as I pushed the baby's head out.
He continued freaking out... shaking, stuttering, the whole bit. He clumsily suctioned the nose and mouth, worrying aloud that he was hurting the baby. I took a deep breath and told him that I couldn't do this without him and he needed to calm the F#*& down (I never swear, especially in front of our 2-year-old!). That got his attention and he called 911 (not what I wanted, but he was doing something).

While he was on the phone, I grabbed all the towels (clean, thanks to my nesting) and held them to my belly, trying to warm them. I could feel the baby moving its head side to side and hear the little coughs and sounds that assured me that the baby was OK. Husband came back just as I felt another contraction start.
"Are you ready?" I asked him
"For what?"
"CATCH!" I screamed as that inescapable, immensely powerful Goddess of the universe poured into me and through me and beyond me and our beautiful daughter slipped into her daddy's hands.

My husband was in awe. "Its a girl!" he wondered as he took a towel and began to dry her. She didn't even start crying, she just looked around, bewildered. Jonathan, our son, was jumping in the hallway, yelling "Its a baby! Look at the fire trucks! Look at the baby!" The paramedics arrived (not a woman in the bunch) and were just as dumbstruck as we were. My husband handed the baby through my legs to me and I held her to my belly, trying to dry myself (it had been just 5 minutes since I'd gotten out of the tub), trying to dry Hannah, and making sure that she was OK, since she wasn't making much noise. The cord kept me from holding her right, and holding her so low made me feel like she was about to fall.

The worst part of the story is that we were taken to the hospital that we didn't want to be in, and made to stay for 24 hours and my husband and son weren't allowed to stay the night, like they would have been in the hospital we were planning on birthing in. But our Hannah was worth it.

That was 17 months ago, and I have never regretted that we weren't in the hospital for her birth. Now I'm 6 weeks pregnant again, and I'm trying to convince my husband that, with more studying, we can do it again and avoid the crazy expensive ambulance and hospital bills. He wants a midwife, just in case. Whatever happens, I completely know that I can do absolutely ANYTHING after that wonderful birth!

28-year-old SAH/Homeschooling Mamma to DS5, DD3, DS16mo. Helpmeet to DH since 2003. TTC #4!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2009, 08:43 PM

That sounds like an amazing birth! I hope you will be able to have such a great birth again, without the hospital stay afterwards! Go for it!

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
Old 03-03-2009, 05:46 AM

seriously, that was an awesome story! You CAN do anything!

Hopefully you can get your husband onboard to do some research with you, even if he just reads the birth stories posted in this forum! good luck :

6/9/2005 6/30/2007 10/17/2009 (Ebstein's Anomaly)
Old 03-03-2009, 05:57 AM

nak

the same thing happened to us... in the least you could get a mw and do a home birth we will plan it that way again but i won't be upset if the mw is too late. i liked having them there to clean up and check on things since they were pretty hands off.

Mama to DD 9.06 / DD 1.09 and DS 6.10 born at home
Old 03-03-2009, 12:32 PM

I just wanted to say a planned homebirth and an unplanned homebirth are VERY different. I too would have been shaking and stuttering if the baby came at home and i wasn't planning it! it's just for whatever reason, hard to wrap your mind around.

However now I'm planning it. and so it doesn't seem... weird. or scary or what have you.

the planning and mindset make ALL the difference in the world!

you all could totally do this if you want to!!

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

Old 03-03-2009, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, the decision has been made that going UC is too much for DH. But I've been a Doula at several births with our local HB midwife and I really love her, so that's what we'll be doing. I'm going to stick around the UC forum, though, maybe for #4?

28-year-old SAH/Homeschooling Mamma to DS5, DD3, DS16mo. Helpmeet to DH since 2003. TTC #4!
Old 03-03-2009, 03:01 PM

That's an awesome story. If you think he's not on board with UC go for a homebirth with a MW. Even if she's there to keep him calm more than anything else. =)
Old 03-03-2009, 03:40 PM

Hah! I love that story.....but you weren't in labor, you know...that was just, ummmm, I dont know....a laborless birth!

I'm sorry you had such dolts for nurses in the hopsital....but I'm happy for your awesome experience, so I guess I'm not too sad they were dolts!!

Hoorah! And yes, as PP have stated, a MW birth may be great for you if your husband is less comfortable with a UC....but if YOU really want a UC, I would go with that instinct!! :

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

Old 03-03-2009, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow great birthstory! I was dying laughing when you said your husband was running around, doing God knows what! That's how I envision my DH as a UC!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Old 03-03-2009, 03:56 PM

I love this story!!
In your follow up post, you said your DH wasn't comfy doing it 100% UC intentionally...If you have a good relationship, as it sounds, with the HB MW, perhaps you can just have her nearby, even in the house but in another room, or near you but totally hands off for this upcoming labor... Basically just have her there to make your DH comfortable, and to clean up afterward and avoid the type of hospital situation you had afterward last time....
Old 03-03-2009, 08:15 PM

We had an *unplanned* UC in the car with #2 & Daddy got to catch (a rather simple role that he tends to over-glorify)...paramedics arrived about 8 minutes after the birth and took us by ambulance (but left baby on my chest ) to the nearest hospital (rather than the birthing center that we were heading for)...the hospital pretty much left us alone (except I had a manual removal of my placenta which was HELL & in retrospect, I believe unnecessary) & respected our wishes (no bath for baby, no hep B, etc.)... but still I'd prefer to avoid it altogether next time!
we haven't started TTC yet, but I think we'll be doing a planned UC for #3 (I'll continue to research in the meantime, that's why I'm here reading the UC forums)...
love your story! Especially Jonathon's recation, lol. My 5-year-old was in the backseat during our birth and she was so nonchalant about the whole thing
Stacy
Old 03-04-2009, 03:09 AM

Well, I had a planned homebirth that turned into an accidental UC.

We thought we had another hour or so, mw planned on finishing her staff meeting up (she works out of a birth center) and then came out of her house. Since labor had only started about 15 minutes before (and wasn't that painful)...but then I had about 2 very painful contractions. The last one was hard and I remember thinking..."oh Gosh this is going to be hell for the next hour or so." But, on the contraction after that my body was already pushing. The head went so low I felt it's deep fullness and my bladder emptied as baby traveled lower.

Then, I yelled out DH's name. Thankfully my mom heard him, and told him I was yelling for him. He came in the bathroom (where I was alone) and I yelled to him firmly -- "baby is coming NOW!".

God bless him, didn't panic, just called the redial button for the midwife. Midwife jumped in the car to head to our home, suggested DH get a towel to catch the baby in and stayed on in the background in case we needed her. It was then two pushes. My body pushed his head out, then right away it pushed out his body. The whole thing lasted about 2 minutes. Which was great...no time to panic or really even think. It was all instinct. I was in a semi squat, and went into a full squat as he was born with DH catching him in a burgundy towel underneath.

I don't know that I'll be having another, but if I do the mw already joked she'd get there super early and would just stay in the background. That DH could catch just like before even LOL. I was already planning obviously on the homebirth, the UC part was unintended, but absolutely wonderful in its own way.

I have to say, I think birth forums here had a lot to do with both of us being OK with how everything went. Even DH...I think it's funny now when I look back. EVERY person at his office was pretty amazed/surprised that he didn't call 911. I think it was three fold...he knows I birth very well, he was also very comfortable with the fact that birth at home is safe, and I've shared enough stories of friends who have UC'd on purpose. He knows the vast majority of time birth is safe when it pogresses unhindered.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Old 03-04-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blucactus View Post
I love this story!!
In your follow up post, you said your DH wasn't comfy doing it 100% UC intentionally...If you have a good relationship, as it sounds, with the HB MW, perhaps you can just have her nearby, even in the house but in another room, or near you but totally hands off for this upcoming labor... Basically just have her there to make your DH comfortable, and to clean up afterward and avoid the type of hospital situation you had afterward last time....

:

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

Old 03-05-2009, 12:46 AM

That was one of the most awesome stories I've read!

And...ummm....you didn't 'study' a ton this time, just gave birth...you could so do that again!

:::
Old 03-05-2009, 02:20 AM

Fire Trucks!!!!! best.reaction.ever.

User Tag List