Told I cant have home birth on air force base?!?!? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 74 Old 03-06-2009, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
Forgive my ignorance here, but how would planning a hospital birth help you in such a case? If you went into labor and they wouldn't let you leave the base to go to the hospital, what would they have you do? How is this different than planning a hb?
When the base is on lock down, you can LEAVE, you just can't come on base easily at all. So if emergancy services on the base are busy, they can't call in a civilian ambulance to come and get you and they get there easily with enough time.

We just had an exercise last week and basically were told if we had medical conditions that we saw outside dr.'s for, we might enjoy finding things to do off base while the drill is going on.

Also, Mariekitt, did you see my post about appealing? Tomorrow AM I will see our base CO and ask him for suggestions on how to request an appeal to plead your case. (helps the base CO's kid is on my kids bowling league )
#62 of 74 Old 03-06-2009, 05:37 PM

Tricare MIGHT cover part of all of a CPM fee. It depends on your region and the laws of your state. In my region and state, Tricare is currently covering part of CPM fees. I am planning a homebirth in military housing but the housing is separate from base. I am definitely NOT asking anyone! With my first homebirth, we lived in an apartment and I would not even tell the apartment management I was having a homebirth. They didn't ask where I was giving birth, but I was prepared with a hospital answer if they did! CPMs are not licensed in the state we lived in then so I was very careful. We are not telling the military where this baby will be born, even though my midwife has attended births in this housing complex before.

We have to pay up front the whole fee and then our midwife will submit a claim and Tricare will hopefully reimburse us for half. We are aware that they might change their policies and not cover homebirth at all like some other regions, but as of now, they are covering it. I am on Tricare Standard. Prime would not cover anything.

Also, as far as moving goes, can you move now? When we moved into base housing, we signed a one year lease and now that we have been here over a year, our lease is up but we can live here until my dh has orders to leave. We could move if we wanted to, though. We did not have to sign a second lease like we would have for a private house or apartment.
#63 of 74 Old 03-06-2009, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you phrogger, for asking. Im pretty alright with giving birth at the midwives house now, I think Ive adjusted to the idea..
As for moving, we are talking to housing on monday about it. our lease isnt up until june 6, and our baby is supposed to be born end of may or early june. Id rather move sooner than later, but I dont know how its all going to work out right now. I wish we were already paying the month to month thing like you mentioned, MichelleAnnette, but we arent quite yet. Personally though,I think if the base wont let me have a baby on base, they should allow me to move off base a month early. Seems fair to me.
I have heard of some people getting some of the CPMs fees covered as well, and I have also heard the other side of the story where there is no exceptions, even on standard. So Im just waiting to find out. my midwife wont file for it until we are done paying her our 20 percent, which has been hard enough for us to come up with. >.<
#64 of 74 Old 03-08-2009, 05:40 PM

Sorry, I am chiming in here a bit late. I only read the first couple pages, but it seems you haven't been given this information yet. I apologize if anyone else has already done so. You obviously aren't alone in this kind of intimidation. You can have a homebirth, or a UC, for that matter in base housing, despite what the CO is telling your DH. Please read this thread, specifically post 64: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...=598835&page=4

The woman involved in prosecuting couple colonels and a general with 100% success, when issued "illegal orders" blocking women from giving birth in military housing and threatening their spouses with prosecution/punishment, wants the names of the CO's doing this and the name of the base. Don't be discouraged, like she said they are counting on you not knowing what your rights are. I would email her and get your birth back on track...in your home.

ETA: Also, the thread linked above extensively covers the Tricare coverage for homebirth, the different coverage, getting your CPM paid for, etc.
#65 of 74 Old 03-08-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleAnnette View Post
Tricare MIGHT cover part of all of a CPM fee. It depends on your region and the laws of your state. In my region and state, Tricare is currently covering part of CPM fees. I am planning a homebirth in military housing but the housing is separate from base. I am definitely NOT asking anyone! With my first homebirth, we lived in an apartment and I would not even tell the apartment management I was having a homebirth. They didn't ask where I was giving birth, but I was prepared with a hospital answer if they did! CPMs are not licensed in the state we lived in then so I was very careful. We are not telling the military where this baby will be born, even though my midwife has attended births in this housing complex before.

We have to pay up front the whole fee and then our midwife will submit a claim and Tricare will hopefully reimburse us for half. We are aware that they might change their policies and not cover homebirth at all like some other regions, but as of now, they are covering it. I am on Tricare Standard. Prime would not cover anything.

Also, as far as moving goes, can you move now? When we moved into base housing, we signed a one year lease and now that we have been here over a year, our lease is up but we can live here until my dh has orders to leave. We could move if we wanted to, though. We did not have to sign a second lease like we would have for a private house or apartment.
your lease automatically renews until your dh gets orders. So yes, you are still in a lease agreement.

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#66 of 74 Old 03-08-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmommie View Post
your lease automatically renews until your dh gets orders. So yes, you are still in a lease agreement.

This really depends on the terms of the original lease you signed. It doesn't necessarily mean that you are in another one year lease, unless the lease stated otherwise. You will most likely be required to give them adequate notice to move off base, like thirty days. You really need to read your lease. They are all different, some housing is privatized, some is still run by the base, etc. There are a lot of variables. Mostly likely, you will be able to move with proper notice and not be penalized.
#67 of 74 Old 03-08-2009, 05:58 PM

Your lease automatically renews but it's not a binding one year. It's a 30 day renewing. So basically, as long as you give them their 30 day notice that you are leaving per orders, then you don't have to do anything but give them a copy of your orders and you are released regardless of what they think. That is just the basic military housing lease agreement. Standard with all military housing. You sign a one year lease and then once that is up it automatically renews for 30 days and keeps renewing until you tell them you are leaving. They don't tell you that you need to resign, you already signed the first one. No more is needed.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

m/c '97 and in '03

#68 of 74 Old 03-08-2009, 06:00 PM

Also, if it is orders the reason for leaving, even for 5 days notice, no penalties. Only if moving for other reasons other than orders can they start being nit picky if notice in their time frame, normally 30 days, isn't given. They have ways. Whether its when they do the move-out inspection or what.

I really hope that everything goes well with the planning and birthing process for you. You sound like you have quite the hurdles to make. Stay strong. It's worth it.

m/c '97 and in '03

#69 of 74 Old 03-08-2009, 10:10 PM

Essentially, I was trying to tell you that it is highly unlikely that your lease was being renewed on more than a month to month basis. Which you can get out of with thirty days notice, normally. Generally, military lease follow the state/standard norms, but often times they spell out military clauses you will not find in a civilian lease, i.e. time exemptions for orders. However, even civilian leases include these clauses when the town/city has a strong military presence.
#70 of 74 Old 03-11-2009, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

*sigh* after my poor unprepared husband was grilled by his superiors about home birth and why they should support it, they called the housing office and were able to make it so part of the lease was waived, but that we would still have to pay 900 some dollars (one months extra rent) out of pocket, to break the lease if we wanted to move out before the baby arrived. Since that is impossible, I guess we will have to wait another like 5 months to move realistically. And it sucks. Just venting, I know nothing can be done.
#71 of 74 Old 03-11-2009, 11:08 AM

I am SO sorry you are going throug this I wish I knew what more to say except that I am glad you at least can birth at your midwife's home. That is at least a good compromise. *sigh*

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

#72 of 74 Old 03-11-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariekitt24 View Post
*sigh* after my poor unprepared husband was grilled by his superiors about home birth and why they should support it, they called the housing office and were able to make it so part of the lease was waived, but that we would still have to pay 900 some dollars (one months extra rent) out of pocket, to break the lease if we wanted to move out before the baby arrived. Since that is impossible, I guess we will have to wait another like 5 months to move realistically. And it sucks. Just venting, I know nothing can be done.
#73 of 74 Old 03-11-2009, 12:05 PM

That's really odd. I've had two births on two seperate military bases (one UC and one with a midwife) and never had to ask permission.

Good luck with wherever you choose to go from here.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#74 of 74 Old 03-11-2009, 12:07 PM

ETA: If it were me I'd give birth at a trusted friend's house who lives off post. You still have to drive, but it's not a hospital!

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page