popping sound?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 03-23-2009, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok this is a weird question... but I'm honestly at a loss.

I keep hearing off and on for days now (actually I heard it before too, but not this loud) a "pop" noise. and i always think "my water must have broke!" but then nothing... no water. just a loud click/pop noise.

and I'm baffled. what on earth is it? I've never had it before and never heard anyone else mention it...

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#2 of 31 Old 03-23-2009, 06:08 PM

Maybe it's one of your joints (like cracking your knuckles)? Do you hear it while you are moving or sitting still?

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#3 of 31 Old 03-23-2009, 08:09 PM

Is it a popping feeling in your pelvis? With both of my pregnancies, I had pretty bad pelvic pain and when I got closer to the end, my pelvis would feel like it popped. It usually happened as I was getting out of bed in the morning.
#4 of 31 Old 03-23-2009, 09:03 PM

Its the 2 sacs (the amnion and chorion) rubbing together like 2 pieces of serran wrap. Sometimes you can hear it a lot in a pg, sometimes you never hear it. And FWIW, when my water breaks it sounds the same way. So don't be surprised if one of those times it is your water breaking.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#5 of 31 Old 03-23-2009, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

no not my pelvis or anything like that (that's a totally different feel and different place). my hips and pevlis pop ad crack a lot... but it's not that.

it's the top of my stomach right on the highest area... and it's not bone or anthing like that - it's for sur emy uterus b/ I can feel and hear the pop. and feel this tiny snap feel. little... almost like being snapped with a rubberand on the inside - but softer.

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#6 of 31 Old 03-23-2009, 11:20 PM

I've never heard of that. Just wanted to chime in.
#7 of 31 Old 03-24-2009, 12:35 PM

I remember experiencing this with my last pregnancy! I was totally stumped, never seemed to have dh actually AROUND when it happened and wondered if I was imagining things. My midwife at the time told me sometimes it's the bag 'catching' and it can make a squishing or popping sound. It was right up around where the base of my ribs met the top of my belly.

Sarah- following my bliss, mama to 3 :
Dd to Ds: "Let's have a snack party! I got us chips, and a hammer!"
#8 of 31 Old 03-24-2009, 12:37 PM

I have heard quite a few other mamas talking about this on other forums. No one ever has been able to come up with a conclusion.

Maybe the baby is sucking on something and making a popping sound?

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#9 of 31 Old 03-24-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Heart View Post
Its the 2 sacs (the amnion and chorion) rubbing together like 2 pieces of serran wrap. Sometimes you can hear it a lot in a pg, sometimes you never hear it. And FWIW, when my water breaks it sounds the same way. So don't be surprised if one of those times it is your water breaking.
Now THAT is interesting!!!

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

#10 of 31 Old 03-24-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
That makes so much sense. I remember when my water broke both times I heard two separate pops.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#11 of 31 Old 03-24-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
So that's what that weird noise was yesterday? It had me really puzzled because I had the same thing happen during my previous miscarriage only that time it signaled the *real* start of the M/C.
#12 of 31 Old 03-24-2009, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

well if that si the case... that woudl also explain why sometimes it'a a pop/click sound and other times it's a weird rubbing sound. and it's nothing like beig kicked or having baby move around. it's a watery sound if that makes any sense. if you've ever had it then you'd know what I mean. otherwise it probably sounds crazy!

#13 of 31 Old 03-24-2009, 04:19 PM

I had this when I was pregnant with my first, and I really think it was my little girl's joints popping! After she was born, sometimes her joints would pop and it would sound EXACTLY like it did in my uterus!

Tristian, vegetarian wife to Matt, intactivist, UC supporting mama to my little earth-child-in-training, Ginny (4), and my sweet boy, Finnian (2).  Due mid-July with our third little one!

#14 of 31 Old 03-24-2009, 06:50 PM

Totally know what you mean. Almost sounds like there's a water balloon in there....OHHHH!!!

:

Sarah- following my bliss, mama to 3 :
Dd to Ds: "Let's have a snack party! I got us chips, and a hammer!"
#15 of 31 Old 03-24-2009, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by babykaoss View Post
Totally know what you mean. Almost sounds like there's a water balloon in there....OHHHH!!!

:

yes! exactly!!

#16 of 31 Old 03-25-2009, 02:18 AM

I heard a popping/clicking sound all the time when I was pregnant with DD #1, but never with DD#2.
#17 of 31 Old 03-25-2009, 04:30 AM

yeah i didnt have it the other 2 kids but i had it with my new baby. it waws when she was moving, too. shed jab a knee or foot outwards and id hear it at the same time. it was REALLY strange. it ounded like a cross between a pop and water swishing around. her making her sacs rub together would make sense....but its strange i didnt hear it the other times especially with the craziness my oldest did when i was pregnant lol
#18 of 31 Old 03-25-2009, 04:58 AM

I used to read those threads and wonder what on earth you could be hearing...

UNTIL my last pg when I heard it very often!!! I know exactly what you mean. I picture the sac making a noise like letting go of a stretched balloon? It was always when she was active.

I can say that I loved letting dh hear - it would totally freak him out and he could hear it across the room. LOL So at least have some fun!!!

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

#19 of 31 Old 03-25-2009, 02:47 PM

My best friend heard this type of popping/clicking noises toward the end of her pregnancy. A midwife in the area (not her care provider, just someone we knew) told her that her baby probably had a dislocated shoulder. : It totally freaked my friend out, and the baby's shoulder was not dislocated at birth. The sac explanation makes so much more sense!

Kristen - doula and birth educator, wife to Ben and mama to Sydney Mu (8/06) and Cal Edward (7/09) :
#20 of 31 Old 03-25-2009, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

that's an odd thing to say - why on earth would the shoulder be dislocated?

#21 of 31 Old 03-25-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
That is probably one of the neatest things I've ever heard. Google time!

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
#22 of 31 Old 03-26-2009, 03:06 AM

some babies have a hip that clicks/pops. if your baby is vertex it sound like it could be that?
my son had a hip click when he was born.

aka: wannabeamamamia
SLC vegan mom to 2 boys- &
#23 of 31 Old 03-26-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennyPenny View Post
that's an odd thing to say - why on earth would the shoulder be dislocated?
Thats a really good question. She's really bad at communicating, and sometimes things that cross her mind come off as fact. I've learned this over the years of knowing her, but at the time it really freaked my friend out. She gave no explanation as to why it would be dislocated, and no other options.

Kristen - doula and birth educator, wife to Ben and mama to Sydney Mu (8/06) and Cal Edward (7/09) :
#24 of 31 Old 03-26-2009, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not saying it couldn't happen... I guess. just how? how on earth does a baby dislocate their shoulder inutero? (while birthing, yeah I get that one)

anyhow... I was just wondering if such a thing could actually happen.

#25 of 31 Old 05-04-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennyPenny View Post
ok this is a weird question... but I'm honestly at a loss.

I keep hearing off and on for days now (actually I heard it before too, but not this loud) a "pop" noise. and i always think "my water must have broke!" but then nothing... no water. just a loud click/pop noise.

and I'm baffled. what on earth is it? I've never had it before and never heard anyone else mention it...
i am currently 22 weeks pregnant with twin boys. i heard this weird popping watery sound and felt babies moving around in my belly. it was really weird and scared me. i talked to my midwife but she has no idea what it is. i just found out at 20 weeks i am having twins. i am freaked out because a twin pregnancy is more complicated but also now because of that weird noise. i still feel movement inside and no water or bleeding. i have no idea what it could be.
#26 of 31 Old 05-04-2009, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

well I just had the baby yesterday and no popping noises have I heard from my stomach since LOL I have NO idea what else it could have been besides the bags rubbing together. it was alwys around the same spot on the top of my stomach. sometimes very loud! and sometimes like cellophane rubbing together.

#27 of 31 Old 05-06-2009, 01:05 AM

I heard a loud pop while sitting on the couch, in the dark, during mild contractions. When i stood up....WATERFALL!!! I thought it was so cool that i HEARD my water break before I felt it

Placenta eating EC mom to my sweet DS Skyy 08/24/08 and Lotus Birth HBAC DD Aspen 01/13/2010 Healed by her birth
#28 of 31 Old 05-06-2009, 01:18 AM

I had that and never even thought to worry b/c the instant image I had was DD scraping her feet against the sac. I just remember as a kid rubbing balloons on my feet to make static electricity. The rubbing action makes the same sound...

Also sometimes I heard weird blups and the only thing I could think of was water swooshing around.

cool stuff!

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#29 of 31 Old 05-06-2009, 12:22 PM

I have to confess that I thought this thread was a little... peculiar... until sometime last week - when I heard the same thing! To me it's sounds awfully similar to the noise my knuckles make when they crack. I have been trying to convince myself that it's my own vertebrae cracking really quietly and spontaneously. But, it mostly happens when I am still and the baby is moving...

I have to say that I will be doing an extra careful hip check on the babe when s/he comes out. I wonder too if the person who posted about the "dislocated shoulder" didn't have some miscommunication and what was meant was dislocated hip... which is not all that uncommon. I'm also wondering about knees... my family have spontaneously popping knees...

Clinical Herbalist. Trained but never certified, licensed, or registered as a midwife.
07/10/09
#30 of 31 Old 05-06-2009, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahstw View Post
I have to confess that I thought this thread was a little... peculiar... until sometime last week - when I heard the same thing! To me it's sounds awfully similar to the noise my knuckles make when they crack. I have been trying to convince myself that it's my own vertebrae cracking really quietly and spontaneously. But, it mostly happens when I am still and the baby is moving...

I have to say that I will be doing an extra careful hip check on the babe when s/he comes out. I wonder too if the person who posted about the "dislocated shoulder" didn't have some miscommunication and what was meant was dislocated hip... which is not all that uncommon. I'm also wondering about knees... my family have spontaneously popping knees...

i had baby's hip checked thoroughly yesterday by our chiro and all is well... that was a real concern to me too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page