UCing and meconium aspiration? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-31-2009, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had 2 hospital births (both natural vaginal), 2 wonderful hands-off homebirths, and this will be our first official UC!

All of my babies (except my 1st where I was tricked into being induced because baby was TOO big....he ended up being 6lbs. 8oz. have been 14 days exactly past my EDD and 10+lbs.

My 2nd ds, born in the hossy had meconium inutero and they freaked out and put him on O2 when he was born.

My 4th dd, my water was streaked yellow (not green/brown) was born with thick yellow mustard vernix all over and my 30 yr veteran midwife said she'd never seen that. We guessed that weeks earlier when I had been in a bad car accident that she had her 1st BM inutero and then floating in it for 2 wks the vernix had been stained?? Anyhoo, dd was perfect and had no problems from having the meconium stained water.
Here's a pic.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...ama4/birth.jpg

My question is, since I go over (everytime) and have large babies should I be concerned about dealing with meconium aspiration?

What would you do if you UC'd and your water broke and was streaked with MC?

Jesus-loving, helpmate to Billy and Unschooling mama to a six and one on the way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 03-31-2009, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
There is a difference between a baby passing mec because they are well-cooked and their bowels are more mature than a baby who passes meconium to to stress/asphyxiation. If your fluid is tinged with meconium, it means it happened a while ago and it is well dispersed in the fluid. If your fluid starts of clear, and later on turns into chunky meconium (during labor) it happened due to stress in the labor and there is a higher risk of your baby aspirating (both because it is thicker and because if the baby is deprived of oxygen it may aspirate meconium in utero in an attempt to "breathe"). The VAST majority of babies born through meconium scream immediately at birth and are totally and completely fine (I think the numbers are 95%+ with thin meconium and about 85% with thicker). The only change I would make is that if the baby was not breathing at birth at all, I would clean out his mouth/nose really well before initiating CPR/NRP as I don't want to force meconium down into the lungs.

Hope that helps!

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
#3 of 7 Old 03-31-2009, 12:45 PM

No advice other than what blissful_maia already mentioned, but what an interesting picture. Never seen that before, either!

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#4 of 7 Old 03-31-2009, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Yeah that is a neat pic! She must have been swimming around in there for a while! Were her nails etc. stained too? She sure had a lot of vernix for an "overdue" baby too!!

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
#5 of 7 Old 03-31-2009, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
No advice other than what blissful_maia already mentioned, but what an interesting picture. Never seen that before, either!
Yeah, it wasn't comforting to hear that from my mw and couldn't find anything on the net to explain it either. My mom freaked and was like "YOu've got to take her in to the doc!" No thank you! Like they'd have a clue. I just knew she was fine, just mustardy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful_maia View Post
Yeah that is a neat pic! She must have been swimming around in there for a while! Were her nails etc. stained too? She sure had a lot of vernix for an "overdue" baby too!!
Thanks for your input. That really helped alot. All of my births have been fast and easy and my ds (hossy birth where they freaked) was prolly fine. He was never in distress, but they treated it like that.

DD was 10# exactly (a bit less than my 2 boys born before her). My three sons all came out practically clean. I don't remember her nails being stained, but the vernix took forever to come off. It was soooo thick! I remember at 1 yr old I could still scrape my nail across her scalp and scrape off build up. (ppl called it cradle cap, but it wasn't. It was the oily vernix that was still (after millons of baths) caked to her scalp. She didn't have much hair and you could only see it if you looked, but it was the yellow stained vernix. It's all gone now. She's 26 mths.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...rthday0013.jpg
Here's another of her yellow at birth, cutting the cord. She was mostly yellow on her back scalp/head and legs. Not so much on the belly/face.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...ordcutting.jpg

Thanks for relieving my questions of the MA. I wasn't too worried about it, but it has been on my mind.

Jesus-loving, helpmate to Billy and Unschooling mama to a six and one on the way!
#6 of 7 Old 04-01-2009, 12:55 PM

*Not* an expert, but I've gone over three times and have had large babies too. My third baby was a UC, and when my water broke, it had some flecks of green in it. Had it been thick or dark (or if it had progressed to that if labor continued for a while), I probably would have called my backup MW and had her start driving down, just in case the baby needed extra help. As it was, my baby was born about 20 minutes after my water broke, and he was fine. Little fluidy at first, but not like my first son, who was very fluidy (lots of mucous in his nose and mouth). The UC'ed babe showed no signs of any problems, and when the MW checked him out the next day, she declared him to be perfect. I think it would depend on how much meconium was in the water, personally.

Mama to four: 10, 7, 3, and 1

#7 of 7 Old 04-01-2009, 02:18 PM

If I were in labour and saw significant quantities of meconium, that would be the point at which I'd be transferring to hospital. It's a significant enough variation on normal that I'd feel more comfortable with monitoring and being close to resuscitation equipment.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page